Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

Jesus the greatswords' pain train can drop me from practically full in a single chain...

The pain in the train comes mainly from the chain, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know, after all is said and done, I really like Dark Souls' story overall. There aren't really many games that are willing to not just say "everything that was created and everything that exists will die", but to actually show it happening and show the result. It's a common complaint these games have had since the first but I really do like that they give you no way out of the cycles. They don't give you a way to stop the world from returning to ash as it does in the final DLC.

To some that ruins the effort they go to in completing the game because they feel like their journey wasn't worth it if it's all going to happen all over again. I get why one might think that but I don't mind it in this case just because of how massively far-reaching it is. It's all very defeatist and it intentionally drives you away from having any sort of hope until the very very very bitter end. It thrusts you into a world that's dyin' (, Cloud) and tells you to do whatever you want because it practically doesn't matter anymore. There's literally nothing you can do even if you try; in Dark Souls 1, trying at least had some effect but here in 3 you can't even stop it. All you can do is escape. Melodramatic as that is, I think it's great.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 2, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

CJacobs posted:

Y'know, after all is said and done, I really like Dark Souls' story overall.

Yeah I like that Dark Souls is about futility and then puts its money where its mouth is. Like, "hey we're REALLY about how futile it is to obsess over transient poo poo, later dorks!". It's a great example of form imitating function I think

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

CJacobs posted:

Y'know, after all is said and done, I really like Dark Souls' story overall. There aren't really many games that are willing to not just say "everything that was created and everything that exists will die", but to actually show it happening and show the result. It's a common complaint these games have had since the first but I really do like that they give you no way out of the cycles. They don't give you a way to stop the world from returning to ash as it does in the final DLC.

To some that ruins the effort they go to in completing the game because they feel like their journey wasn't worth it if it's all going to happen all over again. I get why one might think that but I don't mind it in this case just because of how massively far-reaching it is. It's all very defeatist and it intentionally drives you away from having any sort of hope until the very very very bitter end. It thrusts you into a world that's dyin' (, Cloud) and tells you to do whatever you want because it practically doesn't matter anymore. There's literally nothing you can do even if you try; in Dark Souls 1, trying at least had some effect but here in 3 you can't even stop it. All you can do is escape. Melodramatic as that is, I think it's great.

Lore-wise, what become of the ending they patched in to 2? That ending was all about conquering the curse with the crowns so you essentially never hollow and figure out a way to break the cycle, but I can't recall that being addressed in 3?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Lore-wise, what become of the ending they patched in to 2? That ending was all about conquering the curse with the crowns so you essentially never hollow and figure out a way to break the cycle, but I can't recall that being addressed in 3?

DS2's plot, especially in Scholar of the First Sin, was basically "We Don't Know What We're Doing" writ large. They were trying to create some sense of coherence and profundity out of the assets they were able to throw together in the final release and none of it ever gelled.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
is there a way to cheese the pontiff fight, because this is stupid + boring

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Dark Souls 2 felt to me like it was supposed to be a new IP at first but they turned into a Dark Souls sequel late in development.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Node posted:

Summoning Gottard makes it much easier.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Node posted:

2 Summons if you took the 5 dark signs, friend

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the dark souls 2 story was really weird and didn't seem like it made any sense, even in a setting where things are kind of innately already weird and semi-baffling

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I still have absolutely no idea what Nashandra's deal was.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, ringed city, I'm at the city streets bonfire: where, exactly, does the video game want me to go? I'm pretty sure I did a complete circuit around the swamp, and the only exit I found was the stupid dragon bridge, which can't possible be the route forward.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Summoning Gottard makes it much easier.

I've summoned him twice and all he does is stand in front of him, never dodge, and die. I'm running out of embers.

mary had a little clam posted:

2 Summons if you took the 5 dark signs, friend

I only see one, probably because I had the fire keeper cleanse my dark sigil. That sounds like a medical procedure.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, ringed city, I'm at the city streets bonfire: where, exactly, does the video game want me to go? I'm pretty sure I did a complete circuit around the swamp, and the only exit I found was the stupid dragon bridge, which can't possible be the route forward.

Hey, guess what the route forward is? :v:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a trick I'm missing, or this buy 200 arrows and plink him? Either way, to hell with this DLC :(

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Omi no Kami posted:

It's the dragon bridge. You can make it across without getting torched by running for a cave on the right wall, then dropping down to the lower path on the cliff face. Once you make it to the lower path you've got a completely safe run to the tower that that you're supposed to climb next. Consider embering and/or giving yourself fire resist so the dragon's breath doesn't oneshot you, for safety.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Node posted:

I've summoned him twice and all he does is stand in front of him, never dodge, and die. I'm running out of embers.

I only see one, probably because I had the fire keeper cleanse my dark sigil. That sounds like a medical procedure.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get Gotthard, Londor Pale Shade, and... Anri? on this fight? I feel like you could get up to 3 if you did storyline stuff correctly?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Augus posted:

I still have absolutely no idea what Nashandra's deal was.

they had the whole plot thing of 'fragments of manus went out to...ruin kingdoms or something???' which could have been innately sort of alright by itself but the game did a really poor job of making me actually even remotely care about the throne of want or that she even wanted it.

when i beat the game all i could really think about was how i didn't even care about fighting her and would have just walked away like in ds1 if i could have.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

DS2's plot, especially in Scholar of the First Sin, was basically "We Don't Know What We're Doing" writ large. They were trying to create some sense of coherence and profundity out of the assets they were able to throw together in the final release and none of it ever gelled.

Really? I felt DS2 was far and away the most coherent of the series, in that it actually answered a lot of the questions it brought up or at least let players figure out the answers and be reasonably sure (e.g. hollow being the natural state of man, most of the lore stuff relating directly to Vendrick and Aldia's shenanigans or ultimately being there just to show how old the drat world is and how many cycles its gone through, and ultimately ending with saying that you more-or-less need to find your own answer which is something that is a core motif of the series).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a trick I'm missing, or this buy 200 arrows and plink him? Either way, to hell with this DLC :(

My strategy was to hit him with a sword and dodge :shrug:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Augus posted:

That's the second encounter with the guy, I don't think he's there yet.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Augus posted:

That implies a level of skill that I definitely don't have-given the choice between impressive valor and reliable cowardice, I will coward out every single time :)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

If it is the second encounter, there's a little wall in front of him that you can use to hide from most of his breath attacks, but it's not completely safe as he will angle to breathe over it if you hide there too long. My strategy was to hide there for a single breath attack, hit his feet and head while baiting out melee attacks, then run back to hide if he winds up a breath attack. It's also possible to run past him, but you need to knock him off the bridge if you want to do his boss fight later.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Parry him and riposte for 1/3 of his health bar with an UGS :darksouls:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

mary had a little clam posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you can get Gotthard, Londor Pale Shade, and... Anri? on this fight? I feel like you could get up to 3 if you did storyline stuff correctly?

I probably haven't done the story right. I've talked to Anri two times, and Londor Pale Shade recently invaded me so I assume he/she won't help.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The entire point of DS2, which they made blatantly clear with Scholar, was that it was about finding your own path. In DS1 you spend your entire time getting pushed around by guiding figure that know more than you. You are controlled by the prophecy of the undead in Lordran. Even when you go against that, all you do is follow the will of another figure and fulfill a different destiny. That's why in the overall story of DS1, your character had no lasting impact there.

In DS2, you have even less to go on than DS1. There's no big prophecy for you to fulfill. You're just told that to escape the curse, you need to gain power. To seek adversity and conquer it. What you would do with that power was left open to interpretation. But it was made clear that even with that power, you couldn't escape from the curse. So in Scholar they added another ending where your character goes even further. You reject the paths that others have walked down in their own quest and seek something greater. The culmination of your efforts is a glimpse into surpassing the curse. The new ending implies that you will continue to seek more answers.

Then DS3 comes along and says gently caress all about the DS2 protagonist so all that goes out the window. That's one of the reasons I hate this last DLC. They didn't even give us a hint about what happended with the DS2 protagonist and it annoys me. I didn't expect some massive lore bombs but anything, just the slightest hint about you having done something, would of been enough. But there's nothing. For your efforts for both the first and second game to be totally pointless sours me.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Tarezax posted:

It's the dragon bridge. You can make it across without getting torched by running for a cave on the right wall, then dropping down to the lower path on the cliff face. Once you make it to the lower path you've got a completely safe run to the tower that that you're supposed to climb next. Consider embering and/or giving yourself fire resist so the dragon's breath doesn't oneshot you, for safety.

Okay, thanks for this- I would've never figured that out on my own. :)

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Omi no Kami posted:

That implies a level of skill that I definitely don't have-given the choice between impressive valor and reliable cowardice, I will coward out every single time :)

Impressive valor is overselling it what it asks of melee characters. If you go to the far corner of the nearest rock cover, he'll stretch his head to breath in that corner. Go up and cut him a few times. When he attacks your new spot, move back to the corner, rinse + repeat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Then DS3 comes along and says gently caress all about the DS2 protagonist so all that goes out the window. That's one of the reasons I hate this last DLC. They didn't even give us a hint about what happended with the DS2 protagonist and it annoys me.

I was gonna say something snarky about them not wanting to piss off all the "B-TEAM :byodood:" people, but then I realized all of the DS2 references (as well as literal area) in DLC2 and... uh. I guess perhaps Miyazaki didn't agree with DS2s story?

That said, I'm still trying to piece together DS3s endings post DLC2, especially my favorite ending which is the ""betrayal"" ending. I thought at first the DLC had a nod to it when the NPC in the city asks you if you serve the Gods (and obviously I replied 'No') but it turns out he replies the same anyway.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Impressive valor is overselling it what it asks of melee characters. If you go to the far corner of the nearest rock cover, he'll stretch his head to breath in that corner. Go up and cut him a few times. When he attacks your new spot, move back to the corner, rinse + repeat.

Oh wait, can you actually melee the thing in 3? I thought you guys were talking about its equivalent in 1.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Check it (not mine, from reddit):

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone was arguing that the facepalming statue (very appropriate) in the Cleansing Chapel is Velka, so out of morbid curiosity I did a google search to see what other people had to say on the matter...

quote:

If Velka is the Furtive Pygmy, and Gael is finding the Dark Soul of man, could it be that Gael is actually trying to find Velka? O_O
:cripes:

this

this is the "lore community" in a loving nutshell

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really to make a fan theory all you have to do is just take two proper nouns and slap em together with an 'is' sandwiched between and wham bam you're done.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

velka was gwyn's firstborn #preachthecontroversy

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
DS2's story only seems weird and incoherent in hindsight because 3 almost completely ignores it, so there's inherently less to work with from it now.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe I'm dumb but I didn't expect the DLC to explain everything, like a bunch of weird poo poo happening for no clear reason seems like the perfect ending to the series to me.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^this guy gets it.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

DS2's story only seems weird and incoherent in hindsight because 3 almost completely ignores it, so there's inherently less to work with from it now.

Lol, Dark Souls 2 doesn't address what happened to the DS1 protagonist, so why would the next game? That poo poo's boring, move on.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DS2 being weird and incoherent is why i love it. the whole thing feels like loopy fanfiction, and captures the sort of "generations of folklore where nobody really understands it anymore" really well. elevators to lavafields, long smuggling caverns to weird flooded cities... it rocks. i love all the dark souls games, but something about the anarchy of ds2 makes me love it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've started watching blind playthroughs of the DLC and I understand why so many people are pissed at the angels now:

I don't think I've seen a single person use cover :cripes:

Everyone just runs through and is baffled by how fast they die, then they do it again. And again. And again. I agree that Fromsoft should've made it clearer that the lasers have a "start-up time" before they get super deadly and that you reset it by going into cover, but god drat people.

e: what gets me about this type of thing is "how little faith do you have in the developer?" If something looks to be impossible or at least nearly impossible and/or finicky, completely random, one-hit kill, etc. perhaps its time to step back and look at what you're doing and whether it's what the devs actually intended? Perhaps you're trying to push a square peg through a round hole, completely ignoring the round peg right next to you?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Your Computer posted:

"how little faith do you have in the developer?"

Before or after playing Ashes of Ariandel?