Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

deep dish peat moss posted:

A long time ago in Beta, equipping a war dog would lower your max fatigue. I just realized that's not the case anymore and now that I've been experimenting with them, I need to point out how good they are for anyone else who wasn't using them.
Whoa I had no idea that they changed it. Yeah doggos now shoot up from "sit in inventory until I fight goblins" to "bring along everytime because why not"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Um how do you deal with the ghost units in undead mobs? I have like a 9% chance to hit whereas they only need to do that AoE scream 2-3 times to route my lines, and effectively allow the zombies to resurrect infinitely (I miss too many times or my guys run away).

Also how the hell do you deal with the undead generally? They keep coming back to life faster then I can kill everything.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

theDOWmustflow posted:

Um how do you deal with the ghost units in undead mobs? I have like a 9% chance to hit whereas they only need to do that AoE scream 2-3 times to route my lines.

Also how the hell do you deal with the undead? They keep coming back to life faster then I can kill everything.
Get better resolve on your dudes to protect against geists(I get 50 asap on everyone myself) or crowd around your banner if you have one. The rally perk also can help here.They are hard to hit in melee(and almost impossible with ranged) so use spears or swords if you can. The good thing is that they die to 1 hit from anything(maybe excluding fists?) so just try to hunt them down as best you can.

I guess the start would be to ask what weapons/armor you use and at what stage of the game you are but here are some tipps anyway. General undead strats depend on the enemy type. If you have trouble with zombies getting back up then bring more swords/cleavers to get better chances at cutting heads off. Armored zombies are a bit tougher this way but they still aren't too bad. Skellies are best attacked with blunt weapons or flails to bypass their shields and having hammers to crush their armor later on is also great. And you generally want to conserve stamina if you fight undead. Let them come to you instead of rushing towards their line. Don't shield block/spear wall if it doesn't offer an immediate use. Don't use weapon skills early on if you don't have to. And recognize when you can get away with someone taking a bit of a breather so that they can strike hard next turn and allow others to maybe chill for a round.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has anyone noticed whether or not the description of potential recruits has any bearings on the guy's stats? It seems like there is but it could just be horoscope syndrome.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

theDOWmustflow posted:

Um how do you deal with the ghost units in undead mobs? I have like a 9% chance to hit whereas they only need to do that AoE scream 2-3 times to route my lines, and effectively allow the zombies to resurrect infinitely (I miss too many times or my guys run away).

Also how the hell do you deal with the undead generally? They keep coming back to life faster then I can kill everything.

if you do the "Destroy 4 undead ruins" ambition you get a accessory that grants immunity to fear effects. i beeline that one super early before geists show up, so when they do i can flank over to them without having to worry about my dude running scared.

if you decapitate normal wiedergängers they won't be able to get back up, so cleavers are decent. fallen heroes will still get up though from decapitation, which i think is dumb as hell.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

theDOWmustflow posted:

Sounds like you're suffering from "not enough greatswords syndrome" :smug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
do dogs still handicap your initiative

they did that for a very long time too, haven't tried them since release.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

do dogs still handicap your initiative

they did that for a very long time too, haven't tried them since release.

P sure they don't as they have 0 fatigue penalty, the only reason to not use them is cost.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

A long time ago in Beta, equipping a war dog would lower your max fatigue. I just realized that's not the case anymore and now that I've been experimenting with them, I need to point out how good they are for anyone else who wasn't using them.

They're an equippable item with no drawbacks that lets you use an action to summon an AI-controlled expendable dodge tank on a nearby tile. If you're fighting Greenskins that try to flank you and hit your archers, the dogs will keep them off long enough for your archers to kill a few off. They always move right after the brother that summons them, so even your front-line guys can use them to stop a distant target from fleeing or to put an obstacle between them and their enemies when they're injured. Moving out of a target's zone of control with Quick Feet then locking them into your own zone with a placed war dog is pretty huge. They have enough dodge to survive fairly well against even mid-tier opponents like ancient legionnaires. AI archers trend toward shooting at them too since they're relatively unprotected and you can place them in front of your ranks.

Equip a dog on everyone you can afford one for.

The real problem with dogs is unless they're actually killing things they're just morale boosters for the enemy (the boost from losing a dog is enough to prolong fights by a couple turns). So I wouldn't use them for trying to kill Orc Warriors but for Orc Young they would be fine (since Young rarely have any real armor).

Dogs without the little dog armor are basically dead in a single hit. If anything the dog should be rooting/biting the limb whichever enemy is closest to it to hold it in place while you stab it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Maybe late game when you're swimming in gold dogswarm is a good tactic but personally I just use them for stopping runners. Otherwise the gold drain from dead dogs isn't worth it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RabidWeasel posted:

P sure they don't as they have 0 fatigue penalty, the only reason to not use them is cost.

for a long while during the EA portion they had no fatigue malus, but heavily handicapped your initiative

at the time this was not a compelling reason not to use them as enemies had their initiative so high you always went last anyway.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Its well worth releasing a dog swarm when thinga go south or you are about to elbe overwhelmed. losing a couple dogs is well worth keeping an experienced unit alive, they are a great insurance policy

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Dogs are awesome. Also nets. Using lots of dogs and nets together can really boost your combat power but is obviously expensive. Still worth it if you're in a really tough fight.

theDOWmustflow posted:

I think they changed the ghost AI in one of the recent updates. I remember ghosts used to just fly straight at you, leaving their accompanying zombies far behind, making them easy to counter-charge and kill. Now the ghosts will hang back behind the zombies and wait. Once the zombies are engaged, the ghosts will creep up behind the zombie mob where you can't reach them and then scream over and over. It makes it much harder to deal with, and that caught me off guard the first time that happened to me. You can't flank them, because anyone isolated from your group will get panicked by the screams and rout. So the only solution I could see was to have everyone huddle around the banner dude (within 4 hexes for the Rally ability to work) and hope he can keep morale up long enough to cut a hole through the zombies.

Greatswords are probably the best weapon in the game against zombies. Being able to cut down multiple zombies in one swing + cut the occasional head off is super useful. No other weapon comes close. A good greatsword guy with the berserk ability is just hilariously powerful, and you can kill them faster than they can get back up. If you don't have greatswords, you can try to divide them up (as long as there aren't any ghosts). Have one or two guys split off from your group and try to distract and lead some of the zombies on a chase around the map. The zombies are slower than you and won't catch up (this may or may not work if they have a necromancer). Then your main group can sweep down the map, killing them in piecemeal groups. You can kill a lot of zombies this way even early in the game.

I found greatswords less useful against the ancient dead, because of the shields. Flails are ok but it can still be tough to hit them through the shields when they're constantly shieldwalling. I didn't have enough good melee fighters to make it work. And flails are really tiring to use. Having just fought the undead invasion, the tactic that worked best for me was lots and lots of axes. A backline of archers w/ longaxes, frontline of handaxes or fighting axes. My 2handers carried greataxes or hammers.

With so many axes you can instantly tear a huge gap in their shieldwall upon contact. The skeletons won't last long after that. I would always try to flank with 2handers while smashing shields in the front. Then you can just roll up the enemy line.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Kenzie posted:

I found greatswords less useful against the ancient dead, because of the shields. Flails are ok but it can still be tough to hit them through the shields when they're constantly shieldwalling. I didn't have enough good melee fighters to make it work. And flails are really tiring to use. Having just fought the undead invasion, the tactic that worked best for me was lots and lots of axes. A backline of archers w/ longaxes, frontline of handaxes or fighting axes. My 2handers carried greataxes or hammers.

I actually found the opposite, in that greatswords felt REALLY good against the ancient dead, primarily because split allows you to hit through the shield wall into the inevitable pikeman behind him. Rarely takes more than 2 hits to down one that way I found, and that faction feels a LOT less threatening once the pikes are down. At least my performance against them with 2 greatswords mixed in felt significantly stronger than in a previous game where I didnt really use any other 2 handers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hahah, I found a Killer on the Run who had three stars in melee . . . . so I hacked him to have Drunkard and Brute.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
Dogs can be pretty useful against necrosavants too. I've dogsniped a couple that had already used nine lives by having a dude that was too far away to move and attack get one space away and drop a dog on them, and they really like to move to the far side of dogs which you can use to set up some polearm hits (probably misses, but at least they're hacking on the dogs and not my mercs).

Destroying a necropolis isn't necessary to beat the undead invasion is it? I'd just finished a mission and the lord said something about his dead kid staying buried so I thought maybe it's wrapping up, but then turns out they'd taken some little island backwater in the corner of the map I'd never been to. Marched over there and uh, holy poo poo that fight is not something I can handle right now. So many pikes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Huh, just ran into geists again for the first time since release and... they really buffed them a lot, huh. They're actually more almost-unhittable than they were before at their worst, in regards to ranged attacks.

I guess they decided that actually being able to shoot them was a mistake, but completely negating all the accuracy bonuses including the one from fast adaptation is a step even further.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, my Noble War is almost over but man, I have some gripes. The version of Siege where you have to fight a noble house unit of 12 to 14 guys and then, immediately, fight another one, is just too much. Every other siege option seems to give you a chance to at least swap busted armors and injured men out, but the end result of the back to back fights is you have to grind your way through double your own number of high end enemy units. It sucks. The other options (catching runaways, intercepting relief forces, ambushing leadership, and the mass combats) are pretty fun!

Also, while trying to kill scouts, the trail led me close to a bandit den. The bandits joined in the scout fight. One of the bandits managed to escape, but he counted as a scout and my mission failed.

And lastly, I keep getting asked to go burn crops and houses against the southern most towns. Unfortunately, because of how the map generated, two out of three of those locations are islands, and the house that we're at war with has exclusive access to all the boats. I can ford some shallows between two of them, but have to loop around the continent to reach the third, and I simply cannot do that in four days. A week, maybe. Bottom line, time limit bad.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Dogs seem cool, but the whimper they make when they inevitably die is so heartbreaking that I can't bring myself to use them. If I pick one up off an event I'll just carry it with the company forever.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Guy above has it right; dogs are 150/ 300 gold ablative padding for your experienced recruits. Every flail or chopper going their way is one less headed toward Reinhold, the enemy archers get distracted, their lines can be broken up so you can focus threats down.... think of it this way , in the midgame1500 gold will get you a single suit of mail or ten extra absorbent doggos. Well worth it if you're outmatched. Early game you don't have the cash, so in a pinch 70g Arnold with no legs will have to do... This game is great, what's the word I'm looking for where the player is made to think like their in game representative, ludonarrative consonance?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

marshmallow creep posted:

Okay, my Noble War is almost over but man, I have some gripes. The version of Siege where you have to fight a noble house unit of 12 to 14 guys and then, immediately, fight another one, is just too much. Every other siege option seems to give you a chance to at least swap busted armors and injured men out, but the end result of the back to back fights is you have to grind your way through double your own number of high end enemy units. It sucks. The other options (catching runaways, intercepting relief forces, ambushing leadership, and the mass combats) are pretty fun!\

This seige seems to be the only option I get, I'm kinda annoyed. It's just brutal, especially as the first quest on day 80

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ugh, still have massive problems with hanging screens, particularly the personnel screen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So do enemy Zweihanders have Berserk? Because I had come to the end of a battle against about 25 enemies and the last one was a zweihander my best two handed tank had been dueling for ten turns with neither landing more than one hit, then the AI footmen moved in to help. I was trying to land blows with polearms, and suddenly the zweihander busts out the three hit swing, killing one footman and hitting my guy, then he did it again and killed another footman and my man. The two successive hits overcame poor Eberhard. :smith: It was so close to being a flawless victory. Go to the gods, Eb.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Voyager I posted:

Dogs seem cool, but the whimper they make when they inevitably die is so heartbreaking that I can't bring myself to use them. If I pick one up off an event I'll just carry it with the company forever.

Same here, fellow dog-lover. :smith:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Night10194 posted:

It's a magic helmet you get for having the Supporter's edition. Doesn't have great armor but looks cool and lets the wearer ignore night-time vision and ranged penalties.

Do you automatically get the Supporter's edition if you had already gone in on the game when it was in early access?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

So do enemy Zweihanders have Berserk? Because I had come to the end of a battle against about 25 enemies and the last one was a zweihander my best two handed tank had been dueling for ten turns with neither landing more than one hit, then the AI footmen moved in to help. I was trying to land blows with polearms, and suddenly the zweihander busts out the three hit swing, killing one footman and hitting my guy, then he did it again and killed another footman and my man. The two successive hits overcame poor Eberhard. :smith: It was so close to being a flawless victory. Go to the gods, Eb.

I mean this is exactly why you put berserk and KF on your 2handers so it makes sense that the AI would do the same

RIP your dude though

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Do you automatically get the Supporter's edition if you had already gone in on the game when it was in early access?

I dunno. I got the game as a christmas gift from a friend ages ago and after trying it a couple weeks ago (I'd been waiting for it to get further in early access) and discovering I really loved it I decided to chip in my own money for the supporter upgrade, which is how I got the helmet.

I'm actually looking forward to the artbook. I like this game's art.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

no, it's always been a separate purchase.

the pricing is really wonky too. like, the soundtrack is 5bux but the in-game helmet is 14? seriously? i routinely shoot heroin into my eyeballs and impulse buy stupid paradox dlc, and even i think thats excessive.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

I mean this is exactly why you put berserk and KF on your 2handers so it makes sense that the AI would do the same

RIP your dude though

Zweihanders are new to me, introduced in the noble war, but they're a pretty cool enemy. I think you can get their helmets if you're lucky and I want them to show up in the shops pretty badly because I need more, and after that showing I think they're too serious a threat to use the dagger gangbang strategy on.

Now Sergeants, on the other hand, are super annoying. Did they put all their points into defense? While to be fair my guys have kind of gotten screwed in the rolls for their attack stats so most are in the 70s, I can't get a hit chance above 30% on a Sergeant, and then they have Nimble to boot!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Zweihanders are new to me, introduced in the noble war, but they're a pretty cool enemy. I think you can get their helmets if you're lucky and I want them to show up in the shops pretty badly because I need more, and after that showing I think they're too serious a threat to use the dagger gangbang strategy on.

Now Sergeants, on the other hand, are super annoying. Did they put all their points into defense? While to be fair my guys have kind of gotten screwed in the rolls for their attack stats so most are in the 70s, I can't get a hit chance above 30% on a Sergeant, and then they have Nimble to boot!

You can get their helmets, confirmed. They're swanky-looking and pretty good for second-liners. 150 armour, -1 vision, so about equivalent to those padded flat top helmets, but much more stylish.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's their hat look like?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Night10194 posted:

What's their hat look like?

They're feathered caps with metal helmets underneath, just visible. Hence the armour rating in spite of having a fancy feathered hat on top.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

John Charity Spring posted:

They're feathered caps with metal helmets underneath, just visible. Hence the armour rating in spite of having a fancy feathered hat on top.

You mean if I steal their hat I can make my greatswords into proper Greatswords with fancy hats?

gently caress yes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

You mean if I steal their hat I can make my greatswords into proper Greatswords with fancy hats?

gently caress yes.

Yeah but I think you have to get very lucky and make sure your the one who lands the killing blow in them while their hat is still intact, and I have only seen them show up in late noble war fights where there are so many swords swinging it's a crapshoot.

Is their armor unique too? It just looks like a mail hauberk.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Yeah but I think you have to get very lucky and make sure your the one who lands the killing blow in them while their hat is still intact, and I have only seen them show up in late noble war fights where there are so many swords swinging it's a crapshoot.

Is their armor unique too? It just looks like a mail hauberk.

I've seen them in a couple different armours and yeah, as far as I can tell it's just a mail hauberk or rough equivalent.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Thanks for the tips regarding undead. Does smashing their head in with a Flail also suffice? I thought flails were weaksauce at first but after encountering a fair number of tanky shielded opponents, I realized that I could bypass tanky body armor by aiming just for the head.

Also is there a bug that causes the game to effectively crash? Every so often my game will crash - most of the UI elements freeze and I can't exit to menu or save or anything. Game gets killed but still plays music. This bug is hurting my enjoyment because it frequently comes up half-way through an intense battle, or after forgetting to save for some time.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 2, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The only hanging I get is when I use quicksave, and I have never crashed on any build of this game and I have...holy moly 162 hours on it since getting in on early access shortly after the traits and perks update.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just beat noble war on Expert Ironman. Enemy Ziewanders do not have berserk.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Wallet posted:

It's very much worth giving your front-line dudes some daggers, if nothing else. You can walk away from a fight with 7 or 8 bandits with three or four Worn Mail Shirts, which are excellent early game, and, bizarrely, the second most efficient (armor-30/fatigue) non-unique armor in the game, after Direwolf Mail. Even if you're past giving a poo poo about the sort of armor bandits wear, give them some daggers anyway in case you find a contract to hunt down a terror that turns out to be dudes dressed up as direwolves.
So I should hang on to direwolf pelts, I take it?

PS: gently caress direwolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

So I should hang on to direwolf pelts, I take it?

PS: gently caress direwolves.

only if you have a tailor and don't care if the rng fucks you for weeks.