Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The most awesome thing about the slaughterhouse for me was creeping in through the drains, and emerging inside with blood dripping down onto you, and looking and realising that "whales" in the Dishonored universe aren't exactly whales as we know them.

GotLag posted:

The letters are from her lover* Hiram Burrows

* Allegedly out of political/financial necessity, to keep her family's position

Ah I didn't realise that. Think I'm due a replay. Stumbled across a pretty interesting article about that level today anyway:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-making-of-dishonoreds-greatest-mission-lady-boyles-last-party/

Which includes this pretty awesome tidbit, which I think would have been great:

quote:

“We had a whiteboard of interesting setups for missions,” he says. “Things like there being three targets, but only one of them is the correct target. Then in another column we had a long list of locations including a costume party, which of course became the setting for Lady Boyle’s Last Party. We were basically mixing and matching ideas. Some were thrown out straight away, though, like a mission where a train stops and you have five minutes to kill a passenger before it leaves the station.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Maybe I wasn't paying attention but what was funky about the whale? I thought that beyond the magical properties aspect I was walking through an industrial whale slaughterhouse based somewhat on historical research (based on some notes that address the minutiae of the whaling business) and felt bad for the poor whale.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 1, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They have really weird mouths and funky growths on their bodies. It's quite easy to miss though.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Honestly the odd note or bit of dialogue reminds me this is not alternate history London but a self-contained universe.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

snoremac posted:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but what was funky about the whale? I thought that beyond the magical properties aspect I was walking through an industrial whale slaughterhouse based somewhat on historical research (based on some notes that address the minutiae of the whaling business) and felt bad for the poor whale.

They have extra flukes and weird tendrils - http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/Whales

This is neat:

quote:

Piero Joplin claims to have read about "land-going whales deep in the Pandyssian interior".

Whales exist in the physical world and the Void simultaneously.[3]

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The Void stuff is weird. I wouldn't call it tacked on, and maybe it's more prominent in the notes I haven't been reading, but Dishonored is basically an alternate universe Victorian London story about the corrupting influence of power. You just happen to be some kind of chosen one for a magic god whose magic is drawn from whales.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked the reveal that the Outsider is just some guy accidentally empowered by ancient cultists who meant to sacrifice him and he really does just hand out superpowers because he's bored.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 2, 2017

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
my new favourite thing is punching people in the face, spinning them round and throwing them over a balcony/into the sea/through a window

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also my conscience is clear wrt to lady boyle because I set her and that creep on fire instead

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Stilton's mansion is weird, but the time device is interesting. Any tips?

Also, I assume there's no blueprint to get more than 5 sleep darts? I thought that the last game had it.

Both games have made numerous references to how wild and savage the Pandyssian Continent is; I wonder if a future Dishonored game will take place there. It doesn't seem to appear on any of the maps, though...I assume it's because no cartographer wants to set foot anywhere near it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Seventh Arrow posted:

Stilton's mansion is weird, but the time device is interesting. Any tips?

Think of it as the ultimate cloaking device, only you can't carry anything when you use it.

Also no, unless I'm misremembering terribly then there are no capacity upgrades for the specialty (sleep/sting/howl) darts. On the other hand, you have more options than just darting everyone: you can use string bolts to make a guard temporarily run away (which won't draw any attention as there's no body to find), or you can use drop-knockout to take guards out from above, and the Domino power lets you use one bolt/choke/knockout to take down 2-4 dudes at once, depending on upgrades.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2017

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
After Dishonored came out, everyone was speculating that D2 would be in Pandyssia. My guess is they worked on that idea, but never could come up with a satisfying way of doing it. I don't know if there will be a Dishonored 3, but at this point, I would kinda like for the games to stop here.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Sindai posted:

I liked the reveal that the Outsider is just some guy accidentally empowered by ancient cultists who meant to sacrifice him and he really does just hand out superpowers because he's bored.
I actually didn't, because I think it makes the Outsider more understandable and relatable and less of an "outsider". That makes him less fun/interesting as a character. It would have been better to leave his origin completely mysterious. But then I really like unexplained vistas as a narrative device

quote:

After Dishonored came out, everyone was speculating that D2 would be in Pandyssia. My guess is they worked on that idea, but never could come up with a satisfying way of doing it.
This is a good example of what I'm talking about. Setting a game in Pandyssia would ruin Pandyssia no matter what they did with it because the reality would never be as fun, interesting or strange as the hints and scraps and fragments we have to work with now.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 2, 2017

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Zephro posted:

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. Setting a game in Pandyssia would ruin Pandyssia no matter what they did with it because the reality would never be as fun, interesting or strange as the hints and scraps and fragments we have to work with now.

It could be done as a level or two on the shore of Pandyssia, an attempted colony port or something. I definitely agree that the deep dark mysteries of Pandyssia would never function as well as a game environment than it does as fragments of lore.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Dishonored isn't really a good game to set in an uncivilized wilderness. It's a game that works best when you have a city full of tall buildings to run around in.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Setting D3 in the metropolis Deliah built in her fantasy of Pandyssia would be a good compromise.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I had decided in the previous mission to take out Paolo stealthily and non-lethally. I was wondering how to do this, since he was on the ground floor, surrounded by people. So I decided to put a stun mine on the spot where he respawns and another one where a guard runs to. I used a howler bolt on him (irony) and then took him out once he ran away, out of sight of everyone else. After that, zap. It worked out pretty good :smugdog:

Then you have this video where one of the outsidexbox guys' vision of stealth includes the use of grenades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRPAKqtXm-A

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is there a quiet way to take down jindosh robots? I'm assuming no.

Also, I was going to get the doppelganger upgrade where they fight, but it says that it can kill/assasssinate people. I'm trying to do a nonlethal run, will they actually wreck a guard if I try it?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
You can sneak up on them and rewire them with the thing on their leg, and then take them out with two sword hits to the back.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is there a quiet way to take down jindosh robots? I'm assuming no.

Also, I was going to get the doppelganger upgrade where they fight, but it says that it can kill/assasssinate people. I'm trying to do a nonlethal run, will they actually wreck a guard if I try it?

I think Jindosh will be alerted to the fact you're in his house (so you won't get the Silence achievement) if you take out any Clockwork in the mansion, no matter how you do it. But if you just mean can you take them down without being detected (i.e. without losing Ghost status), then yes, you can do it in a variety of ways. Fully upgraded springrazors or stun mines will kill them in one go (if you have bend time you can slap one directly on them without getting detected). If you drop-assassinate to cut their head off and then go into stealth mode as soon as you land, before moving away, you won't be detected; and once they're blind it's easy to drop assassinate them a second time to finish them off. Also if you upgrade your crossbow it's possible to knock their head off and blind them with one shot. Rewiring lets you ignore them entirely. Just be careful not to leave a blinded or rewired Clockwork anywhere near active human guards if you're going for no-kills.

If you've already dealt with Jindosh, you can take out soldiers without it mattering since you've already got the Silence achievement or not by that point.

You don't want fighting dopplegangers if you're going for a clean hands run, they will in fact wreck guards. The main use for doppelganger on a stealth/nonlethal run is to Domino your doppelganger with a bunch of guards and then choke it out (useful for clearing rooms of guards that can all see each other.)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Entropic posted:

If you've already dealt with Jindosh, you can take out soldiers without it mattering since you've already got the Silence achievement or not by that point.

Yeah I'm at the Duke's palace, I should've mentioned that. Thanks for the suggestions.

quote:

You don't want fighting dopplegangers if you're going for a clean hands run, they will in fact wreck guards. The main use for doppelganger on a stealth/nonlethal run is to Domino your doppelganger with a bunch of guards and then choke it out (useful for clearing rooms of guards that can all see each other.)

That was my original intention, but then the doppelganger leads the guards on a merry chase before I can tag any of them. Or maybe I should spawn the doppelganger away from their line of sight?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Honestly I've barely ever bothered with Doppelgänger in a few playthroughs. As Emily you can get by really well on just Far Reach and Domino. (Plus Agility and Dark Vision)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah I'm at the Duke's palace, I should've mentioned that. Thanks for the suggestions.

by the time you are at the palace, you can get the monkey wrench upgrade for your sword. that will allow you to just straight out assassinate clockworks with no fuss and minimal noise.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Good to see this on a Steam sale for $30. I picked it up around launch for PC and tried everything I could to make it work, but the port was just too messed up for any combination of things to get it running properly. Since then they've done a bunch of large and small fixes and I've gone from a 970 to a 1070, so hopefully everything runs well at this stage. It was a real letdown since everyone was saying what an amazing game it was and I'd been anticipating it for a while, then got the Arkham Knight experience all over again.

I've managed to avoid all spoilers since now and then as well. Should be fun to see how good the Clockwork Mansion is and what people are talking about with that "Between the Cracks" level or whatever it's called.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm on a Radeon HD 7790 / i5 4570 and I've never had any issues at all running this game.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Same with a 970, so it wasn't just a GPU issue.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mymla posted:

Dishonored isn't really a good game to set in an uncivilized wilderness. It's a game that works best when you have a city full of tall buildings to run around in.
Uncivilized wilderness probably wouldn't work, except as a super short pass through hub, but some sort of "ruins" scenario like in some of the Thief games that is wilderness-esque could be solid.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Ruins that are being dug up by an archaeologist (your target) and his cadre of assistants, servants, and guards.

There hasn't yet been a mission in these games completely devoid of human/intelligent opponents, nor one that's been a direct path from start to finish. The closest I can think of are the sewer treks after escaping from Coldridge and the Flooded District in the first game. And the powers tutorials in the Void.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I reckon a brief stop in Pandyssia in the ill-conceived new colony of Port Sokolov would work.

Oh man, a level on a big ship on the way there or back would be great, too.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
If anyone is on the fence about buying this from the Steam sale on account of port problems with it launched, I can say that they seem to be mostly worked out at this point. Played for about an hour last night and all the major issues I had with the performance appear to be resolved, I get a steady framerate now for the most part running everything at very high or ultra with only a few occasional dips in visually busy areas. They seem to have taken the complaints seriously and done a good job of fixing things since launch, when it was so busted that I made it my only ever Steam refund.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I got to play a little bit of the first level demo and it's been pretty good so far, running beautifully on my system, although the actual stealth window seems a lot less forgiving than HZD and it's kicked my rear end a few times. I started on Hard because I heard the game gets a little too easy on normal. It doesn't really matter if I kill or incap for any purposes other than achievements, right? I vote kill.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kill or incap what, your targets? There are two targets with material differences based on your approach (as in, you get something like money for going on lethal) and almost all the targets have fluff differences.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I meant like, does the game keep track of whether I mostly choose non-lethal or lethal approaches, and does that change the flow of the game in any appreciable way?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yes. The Chaos system has returned from the previous game. If you kill a lot of people the game world will become darker, grittier, and have a more pessimistic ending. If you don't kill a lot of people the game world stays cleaner, more orderly, and the ending is much more optimistic.

Precisely how many people you can kill is somewhat variable. Unlike the previous game, each individual NPC now has a specific amount of sin on them, which you can discern by using the Heart on them. The Heart will tell you their greatest crimes and the severity of those crimes will determine how much chaos is raised by them dying. Someone who's been a spiteful thief will raise chaos more than an unrepentant murderer, and the rare sinless person will raise it more than both of them put together.

Generally speaking though you have to be either very careless or go out of your way to kill people to get high chaos. There's many more ways to KO people in combat than Dishonored 1 had.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I really don't believe that "sin system" exists at all. That sounds like complete over-interpretation to every NPC's crimes of varying severity.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

harvey smith has said it works like that on the tweeters but it's never been verified independently, so

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Yes. The Chaos system has returned from the previous game. If you kill a lot of people the game world will become darker, grittier, and have a more pessimistic ending. If you don't kill a lot of people the game world stays cleaner, more orderly, and the ending is much more optimistic.

I don't think it actually changes the world in a noticeable way, just the ending. In D1 your high/low chaos level completely changed how the final mission played through; there are only minor differences in D2, minor enough that I'm hard pressed to think of any. Just stuff like certain people no longer being there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's way more bloodflies on high chaos maps, and also dangerous rat swarms. The latter literally never occurs naturally on low chaos.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Only once, and that's in the Stilton Manse in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
That swarm in the basement was a fuckin' rude surprise.

• Locked thread