Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

CottonWolf posted:

The game does have a strong ending.

Indeed, everyone is happy when the game is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Android Blues posted:

I don't have an issue with the pulpiness. The basic building blocks are where it's lacking.

Exposition is often clunky. The writing isn't great at defining a setting or building a sense of place. People say, "I can't believe we're really in Andromeda!" a thousand times in the intro without defining what Andromeda is (other than 'a galaxy') or why it's important. Characters often mention, "we're not in the Milky Way now!" or similar, but the characteristics of the Milky Way aren't clearly defined either.

Like, good example: the pathfinder position is really key to the game's plot. When you wake up, an NPC mentions that you're on the pathfinder team, but you only find out what the pathfinder position actually entails if you ask the info board in the medbay about it, or read a datapad sitting on a locker room bench. It isn't elegantly introduced by the narrative, and the player has to poke around in corners to get this central piece of info so they have context for what Alec's role on the ship is. It's as though you had to find out that Anderson was in charge of the Normandy in ME1 by asking an information hologram to the right of the starting area.

In other words, the game is going for a cinematic opening, but it does a shoddy job of setting the premise. If you already know the series and/or you read prerelease material, it's not hard to figure out, but if you take the game in a vacuum it feels loosely written, like a screenplay that could use another editing pass.

One of the big problems is you're just being lead by the nose through someone else's story instead of forging your own. There's a few rare places where you can make decisions, but they don't have the same weight as the original because all they do is keep the same status-quo regardless of what you pick. There's no over-bearing worry as to how this might gently caress you down the line, or even in the sequels, like in the original trilogy.

I choose a science or a military outpost. No-one comments either way about what you chose beyond a minor protest on the Nexus.

You choose to keep Sloane in charge instead of Reyes. Either way, you get an outpost and it's defended just fine.

The only one that's maybe got any weight is choosing whether or not to let the Krogans keep the drive core in exchange for an Outpost, and even it's a stupid binary choice of extremes because it's "the Krogans are happy and join the Nexus once more with no repercussions" or "The Krogans are angry and hate you forever and ever, go away NERD SPECIES! :toughguy:". There's no subtlety, only Morda suddenly not wanting to declare war on the Nexus. Instead she just wants to power New Tuchanka with it because it's all a big understanding. Pinky-swear, promise!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the ending of this game is real

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think I've put my finger on the chief thing about the story that bothers me:

I don't understand why. Why Andromeda?

Now, I as a human being sitting in a computer chair at a computer playing a video game, understand why. It's because Bioware :speculate:ed themselves into a loving mess at the end of ME3 and the easiest way to steer clear of that mess was "nope, we're out". Turns out basically blowing up the galaxy isn't the best way to set the stage for future games in the franchise.

But, in lore, why are any of these people here? How did Jien Garson and Alec Ryder convince 100,000 people to basically just say "goodbye" to everything they've ever known and loved and set sail on a massive journey across dark space to a galaxy on basically a 'maybe'? Did none of these people say "hmm, I know they're promising a big deal and I do like adventure, but what if something goes wrong, what's the plan then"? Knowing full well that basically if something did go wrong, the end result is most likely death?

It's, like, if someone walked up to me and said "hey, we're gonna send you to Mars, it's gonna be great, we've got it all figured out, you're going to make the planet yours and start a colony and become Martians, doesn't that sound great?" Well, to be fair I'd probably say "no", but even if I were interested my first response would be "okay, good, can I come home?" and they just say "no", I'd probably nope right out again. Even if I were inclined I'd inevitably ask "well, okay, what if something goes wrong, what's your plan?" and they just say "oh, it's okay, nothing will go wrong." I'd ask "but what if it does, can you guarantee it?" and they say "well, just improvise, like in the Martian", I'd immediately slam the door. At that point I'd figure I was being taken by a conman and I'd find a cardboard "Marz Shutel" if I found anything at all.

I know, the story is supposed to be adventure and uplifting, and "space is great" and exploration, but it's not really being examined who exactly the people who would sign up for this are? Everyone's just like "I wanted a fresh start and an adventure", and I'm like "okay, the Milky Way is big, you couldn't have just moved to some colony on the other side of the galaxy and gotten your fresh start? You took a one-way ticket 600 years away, in cryosleep, because this woman basically promised you 'everything's gonna be great, we'll all be kings and be super rich and gently caress all the hot space babes and nothing will go wrong'. Okay, are you desperate or running from people?" And if things went wrong the plan was "well let's improvise and if we fail we all die of starvation or something".

The thing that bothers me the most is that in the lore it's presented that this was this visionary ideal presented by Garson and lots of people flocked to it for the adventure, and while a few would easily sign up for adventure, I think it'd be a lot of desperate, pathetic losers (like Redditors) to basically say goodbye forever to your family, friends, home, cat, everything you know and love, everything you've ever met, just because of "adventure". To be fair, they do do a bit of that with the mutineers and such who wake up to discover "poo poo's hosed" and start feeling that way, but they could do more with it. Like why wouldn't you ask that before you left?

And the Quarians supposedly have built an Ark? A group of people who, at the current time of departure, were space nomads who needed every resource to keep their massive failing flotilla of hand-me-downs moving along?

I think I'd have liked it if Garson was basically an eccentric loudmouth who couldn't get funding, and then all of a sudden conveniently a few years later some convenient funding poured in, and nobody was really sure who (it was the Council governments playing an insurance card incase the Reaper War went really bad), and some people got "volunteered", and the entire point was that there was no plan. It was an attempt to ensure that, if the Reapers ripped everything to shreds, at least some humans, turians, salarians, and asari would survive. So they threw things together and sent them away and said "if this works and you don't hear from us when you get there build a civilization and come back and take the galaxy back from the yahg and other species".

I know I selected Male Shepard, and there has been no mention of Shepard yet, nor Reapers, but it just bugs me that they severed so completely from the original trilogy that they can't tie the why in when it matches perfectly.

I think an amusing thing is yeah, I get why it's Andromeda, it's a sexy title, but given that we're not exploring Andromeda in its entirety (cause no Relays), couldn't it have been set in one of the dwarf galaxies around the Milky Way? And dealt with the idea of severing ties with saying "we're not going that far, if poo poo's bad we can bail pretty easily". I guess Mass Effect Large Magellanic Cloud isn't as much "oomph" as Mass Effect Andromeda.

Plus, it annoys me that we're the invaders here, but we're presented as "we're not imperialist assholes at all and we want to be friends with everyone (except the Kett because they really ARE gigantic assholes)", but that's not really touched on. The angara used to have a stellar empire before the scourge, and they've been fighting off the kett, but it'd be a pretty good story beat for them to say 'okay, you're helping us with the kett.... then what? You came all this way for a new home... and what does that mean for the people who live here?'

I mean, I understand, rah rah good guys, especially after the dark-bordering-on-grimdark that was ME3, but there's a lot of neat themes here that are just set aside.

I haven't beaten the game, not even close yet, so maybe these do get touched on (I have doubts, though, what with the quality of the writing so far).

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I don't know why they didn't go with "this was an expedition because we thought we wouldn't win against The Reapers." It makes a lot of things make a lot of sense.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Sky Shadowing posted:

Now, I as a human being sitting in a computer chair at a computer playing a video game, understand why. It's because Bioware :speculate:ed themselves into a loving mess at the end of ME3 and the easiest way to steer clear of that mess was "nope, we're out". Turns out basically blowing up the galaxy isn't the best way to set the stage for future games in the franchise.

But, in lore, why are any of these people here? How did Jien Garson and Alec Ryder convince 100,000 people to basically just say "goodbye" to everything they've ever known and loved and set sail on a massive journey across dark space to a galaxy on basically a 'maybe'? Did none of these people say "hmm, I know they're promising a big deal and I do like adventure, but what if something goes wrong, what's the plan then"? Knowing full well that basically if something did go wrong, the end result is most likely death?

It's, like, if someone walked up to me and said "hey, we're gonna send you to Mars, it's gonna be great, we've got it all figured out, you're going to make the planet yours and start a colony and become Martians, doesn't that sound great?" Well, to be fair I'd probably say "no", but even if I were interested my first response would be "okay, good, can I come home?" and they just say "no", I'd probably nope right out again. Even if I were inclined I'd inevitably ask "well, okay, what if something goes wrong, what's your plan?" and they just say "oh, it's okay, nothing will go wrong." I'd ask "but what if it does, can you guarantee it?" and they say "well, just improvise, like in the Martian", I'd immediately slam the door. At that point I'd figure I was being taken by a conman and I'd find a cardboard "Marz Shutel" if I found anything at all.

I know, the story is supposed to be adventure and uplifting, and "space is great" and exploration, but it's not really being examined who exactly the people who would sign up for this are? Everyone's just like "I wanted a fresh start and an adventure", and I'm like "okay, the Milky Way is big, you couldn't have just moved to some colony on the other side of the galaxy and gotten your fresh start? You took a one-way ticket 600 years away, in cryosleep, because this woman basically promised you 'everything's gonna be great, we'll all be kings and be super rich and gently caress all the hot space babes and nothing will go wrong'. Okay, are you desperate or running from people?" And if things went wrong the plan was "well let's improvise and if we fail we all die of starvation or something".

The thing that bothers me the most is that in the lore it's presented that this was this visionary ideal presented by Garson and lots of people flocked to it for the adventure, and while a few would easily sign up for adventure, I think it'd be a lot of desperate, pathetic losers (like Redditors) to basically say goodbye forever to your family, friends, home, cat, everything you know and love, everything you've ever met, just because of "adventure". To be fair, they do do a bit of that with the mutineers and such who wake up to discover "poo poo's hosed" and start feeling that way, but they could do more with it. Like why wouldn't you ask that before you left?

And the Quarians supposedly have built an Ark? A group of people who, at the current time of departure, were space nomads who needed every resource to keep their massive failing flotilla of hand-me-downs moving along?

I think I'd have liked it if Garson was basically an eccentric loudmouth who couldn't get funding, and then all of a sudden conveniently a few years later some convenient funding poured in, and nobody was really sure who (it was the Council governments playing an insurance card incase the Reaper War went really bad), and some people got "volunteered", and the entire point was that there was no plan. It was an attempt to ensure that, if the Reapers ripped everything to shreds, at least some humans, turians, salarians, and asari would survive. So they threw things together and sent them away and said "if this works and you don't hear from us when you get there build a civilization and come back and take the galaxy back from the yahg and other species".

I know I selected Male Shepard, and there has been no mention of Shepard yet, nor Reapers, but it just bugs me that they severed so completely from the original trilogy that they can't tie the why in when it matches perfectly.

I think an amusing thing is yeah, I get why it's Andromeda, it's a sexy title, but given that we're not exploring Andromeda in its entirety (cause no Relays), couldn't it have been set in one of the dwarf galaxies around the Milky Way? And dealt with the idea of severing ties with saying "we're not going that far, if poo poo's bad we can bail pretty easily". I guess Mass Effect Large Magellanic Cloud isn't as much "oomph" as Mass Effect Andromeda.

Plus, it annoys me that we're the invaders here, but we're presented as "we're not imperialist assholes at all and we want to be friends with everyone (except the Kett because they really ARE gigantic assholes)", but that's not really touched on. The angara used to have a stellar empire before the scourge, and they've been fighting off the kett, but it'd be a pretty good story beat for them to say 'okay, you're helping us with the kett.... then what? You came all this way for a new home... and what does that mean for the people who live here?'

I mean, I understand, rah rah good guys, especially after the dark-bordering-on-grimdark that was ME3, but there's a lot of neat themes here that are just set aside.

I haven't beaten the game, not even close yet, so maybe these do get touched on (I have doubts, though, what with the quality of the writing so far).

have you considered reading this thread from 400 pages ago

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
After a second thought, why the gently caress are the Nexus exiling anyone at all? We're in the middle of a loving new galaxy, and dumping people out the door means they're taking a ship with them. It's not like they already had a lovely planet picked out and were going "gently caress you, we're dumping your rear end on Kadara. Eat poo poo, don't come back". There's also the massive question of First Contact situations when they're wandering around in their own ships, because thanks to Tann we had the Angara's first encounter with the Milky Way races being through the loving Exiles and having to clean that mess up.

Why not just shove them right back into their Stasis Pod for a couple years until you've got poo poo sorted to handle them better?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In the interest of...I dunno, something...my friend and I were talking today and agreed that this game doesn't have enough "fail conditions." As in, there's not really enough ways to make things go badly for yourself or others. Most decisions in this game just result in one outcome...or another outcome that's a bit different but not worse. I understand that they were trying to step away from more obvious, "you obviously want this/you obviously don't want this" choices, but there's got to have been a happier medium. The way that things stand, you can go through the game making zero planets viable other than Eos, and the game is still going to end with all planets being fixed by space magic anyway. There's no way to actually fail.

It doesn't have to be failure in major story-altering ways, either. But consider: what if there were ways to "fail" at your relationships based on your personality type? What if Peebee or Gil won't like if you're too formal all the time, or Jaal won't like it if you don't let your feelings show more often? That'd be an interesting way to adapt the "alignment-based" relationship-blocks from some of the earlier Bioware games, where Viconia doesn't like good guys or whatever.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

They do get touched on. Do the Ryder Family Secret questline.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

I like how Elaaden and Eos have these morally-taxing water scarcity plot beats when Voldt is a loving ice planet which you have already settled.

Also extremely cool to bury the lede when guy mentions a totally separate and sovereign human colony on Eos and Ryder characteristically cannot give two shits about it.

Any idea of bringing water from one planet to another is completely laughable (the "economy" of Voeldt's outpost) in the first place when there is an abundance of ice everywhere in the universe, where you don't have to bring it out of a gravity well first. It's easier and cheaper to mine water from an asteroid in the Eos-system than bring it out of Voeldt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Decius posted:

Any idea of bringing water from one planet to another is completely laughable (the "economy" of Voeldt's outpost) in the first place when there is an abundance of ice everywhere in the universe, where you don't have to bring it out of a gravity well first. It's easier and cheaper to mine water from an asteroid in the Eos-system than bring it out of Voeldt.

I think you're forgetting the basic fundamentals of Mass Effect fields that negate that issue.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're forgetting the basic fundamentals of Mass Effect fields that negate that issue.

The Mass Effect fields cost valuable Ezo and H3 to make. Or a Biotic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Decius posted:

The Mass Effect fields cost valuable Ezo and H3 to make. Or a Biotic.

Considering even the Exiles are throwing interstellar Shuttle flights around like candy, I'm pretty sure the fuel and eezo expenses are negligible. This isn't exactly pushing a NASA payload into orbit here.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, they get touched on. There is an element of mystery that they try to build up about certain things, and the Angarans definitely aren't comfortable with your presence overall.

I don't find it unbelievable at all that they'd get volunteers for the initiative though. If there's a thing, a certain percentage of people will be into it, no matter how stupid or hosed up it is. There are trillions of people in the milky way, it's not much of a stretch that they could get like 100,000 of them to buy into it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Considering even the Exiles are throwing interstellar Shuttle flights around like candy, I'm pretty sure the fuel and eezo expenses are negligible. This isn't exactly pushing a NASA payload into orbit here.

Which would make any water shortage plot point even more stupid. You argue that bringing ice from a gravity well from a system dozen lightyears away is about as cheap or cheaper than bringing ice from asteroids in the same system. If it is the case it make the plot point on Kadara and Elaaden even more stupid than "only" asteroid mining. Regardless if this is the case or not, coming by water in a setting with routine interplanetary or interstellar travel is easy and cheap enough to make it moot.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 2, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Sky Shadowing posted:

youre joking, right? if i had promising technology that would allow me to realistically do ME:A to alpha centauri or whatever i could get 100,000 volunteers from loving canada alone by walking door to door - and you're wondering how they found 100,000 people across dozens of civilizations and trillions of people?

didn't spacex literally do this? they basically said "we're gonna fire you at mars and you're gonna die" and i think like a quarter of a million people applied

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
It's really great that the andromeda initiative was a giant disaster because it makes sense when you consider the kind of brokebrained weirdo who would voluntarily blow their own lives up because of a charismatic lady

the initiative is basically a cult come to think of it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When you think about it for half a second you realize Fojar38 is an idiot.

As for finding water in space, these are the people who wrote their spaceship running into a stationary object in deep space as a major plot point. They're lazy and don't care, so water shortages are a fine reason for plot to happen.

edit: sorry it's Sky Shadowing who is also an idiot

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Arglebargle III posted:

rude

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You meet an asari that hauls ice from the ice planet to eos.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
What I would have found interesting and which I think would have provided interesting story beats would have been putting your sibling (non-romanceable you pervs) into your squad instead of into a coma.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/MJFBYUORsW0

Video games are art.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Decius posted:

What I would have found interesting and which I think would have provided interesting story beats would have been putting your sibling (non-romanceable you pervs) into your squad instead into a coma.

Dragon Age 2 actually did that pretty well I thought.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Verviticus posted:

huh, weird. i actually just ran back and forth over the gas from the start to the end and let it completely finish the phase and it didnt even damage my shields. do you just keel over dead or what

Yeah, you just keel over. I guess there's a time limit on it, and this was the Voeld vault where you have to run a long way to get out. And also I'm an idiot and ignored the quest marker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X99hbWvOe4

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Anyone else had the problem where you die, but it won't show a game over screen, and won't let you go to the menu to load? Everything keeps progressing as if you weren't dead?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Anyone else had the problem where you die, but it won't show a game over screen, and won't let you go to the menu to load? Everything keeps progressing as if you weren't dead?

ive had this problem a lot but ive always been able to hit esc and load out

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yeah, you just keel over. I guess there's a time limit on it, and this was the Voeld vault where you have to run a long way to get out. And also I'm an idiot and ignored the quest marker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X99hbWvOe4

lol, good warning there scott

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

As for finding water in space, these are the people who wrote their spaceship running into a stationary object in deep space as a major plot point. They're lazy and don't care, so water shortages are a fine reason for plot to happen.

edit: sorry it's Sky Shadowing who is also an idiot

The scourge is pretty huge though, I don't know if it's all one big thing but they show at least parts of it being the size of a solar system.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I unlocked the last Ryder Family Secrets memory and AHAHAHA they spent so much time telling us "No, going to Andromeda has nothing to do with the Reapers" and the Internet spent so much time saying "That's idiotic this whole thing makes way more sense if the Reapers were involved in the decision to leave." And lo'! The big mystery reveal is, "Yeah it was totally about escaping the Reapers after all." Which is obviously a big shock to Ryder but not really a shock to we, the game playing public. That's a lot of self-inflicted bad impressions this game decided to take on for the sake of one particular reveal.

e:

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

The scourge is pretty huge though, I don't know if it's all one big thing but they show at least parts of it being the size of a solar system.

Yeah, no kidding. The Sourge is Space Weather. Suvi describes it as an ocean with currents that will pull things between stars. The ship ran into a reef or a hurricane.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 2, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

choosing whether or not to let the Krogans keep the drive core in exchange for an Outpost, and even it's a stupid binary choice of extremes because it's "the Krogans are happy and join the Nexus once more with no repercussions" or "The Krogans are angry and hate you forever and ever, go away NERD SPECIES! :toughguy:". There's no subtlety, only Morda suddenly not wanting to declare war on the Nexus. Instead she just wants to power New Tuchanka with it because it's all a big understanding. Pinky-swear, promise!

She was never intending to make a bomb. The other Krogan was lying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Lone Badger posted:

She was never intending to make a bomb. The other Krogan was lying.

I tried to edit that to remove the reference to the bomb before posting that because you're right, whoops, but she still wanted to start serious poo poo with the Nexus to prove they were strong. There was no lie about her naming herself Overlord Morda or ranting about attacking the Nexus.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rinkles posted:

Funny, that's a criticism you could have levied against the marketing as well. It lacks a clear identity of what it is, what story its telling, beyond being a Mass Effect game in a galaxy that happens to not be the Milky Way,

I agree completely. Compare Andromeda's marketing to the incredible Mass Effect 2 Launch Trailer.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Even though the Andromeda Initiative is basically a lovely Silicon Valley startup attempting to bootstrap civilization by throwing a ton of money and resources at the problem, a lot of NPCs mention why they wanted to leave the Milky Way behind.

The Milky Way has aeons of histories and all of the baggage that brings. Is it so hard to believe that ~100,000 people would sign up for the chance of starting their own society in a stellar frontier, especially in a setting nearing post-scarcity?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There are people alive right now who literally leapt at the chance to maybe go to Mars and die alone.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If anything the scale should of been higher, 20k people is nothing my neighborhood has that many. They talk about struggling to get water for an outpost of what looks to be 4 buildings and 20 people I can fit enough for them for years in one trip to the cargo bay, even the vendor is like "we have to charge you because we are getting it from outside sources" who the gently caress are these outside sources literally everyone who exists is an enemy alien/allied alien who doesn't understand the concept of money/person we thawed for one specific person and I sure has hell hope that purpose wasn't "sell us the guns you had frozen with you" or an exile who has less resources then Nexus. It also annoys me when we mine an asteroid and we get enough metal for half a gun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Decius posted:

:agreed:

The idea of mining a planet for ice (probably by hand) when you have a civilisation that conducts casual interstellar travel is pretty funny.

Even more so if you've played Elite Dangerous and done space mining. Frozen H20 is basically the unwanted dirt you eject to stop clogging up your cargo bays while mining ice rings.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I tried to edit that to remove the reference to the bomb before posting that because you're right, whoops, but she still wanted to start serious poo poo with the Nexus to prove they were strong. There was no lie about her naming herself Overlord Morda or ranting about attacking the Nexus.

That's why I made her ambassador for the cluster :toot:

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Elite Dangerous

Man I wish they'd hurry up and release that for ps4, it looks so good.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Man I wish they'd hurry up and release that for ps4, it looks so good.

Hope you really enjoyed the travel times on the Galaxy Map in MEA :v:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

In the season 3 premiere of Rick & Morty, was Rick teleporting the Citadel a reference to that dumb plot point from ME3? I know it seems kind of reaching to think that, but the aesthetic and the name of the Citadel in Rick & Morty are inspired by the Citadel in Mass Effect so it seems possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
For all the massive and often cringeworthy flaws with the writing, I have to commend the way the main character is written most of the time. Plus no idea about how the dude voice actor handles it, but the lady VA is really good.

They did a good job differentiating Ryder from Shepard, in ways that make sense. Even if you go for the rational and professional options, Ryder has a much warmer personality than the serious-minded Shep, and relies on charisma rather than authority. The character isn't nearly as badass but is genuinely likeable.

At first I was disappointed at the lack of Renegade-esque rear end in a top hat intimidation options. Most aggressive options are just being rude and sarcastic. Then I realised that this makes total sense in context because we're no longer Commander Shepard who starts the game as a decorated veteran, we're some college aged scrub who lucked into a position through nepotism and doesn't scare anyone. It makes the "I will gently caress your poo poo up" moment pretty satisfying when it comes.

The game could really use a nod to that though, I wish there was an early conversation choice where you try to coldly threaten someone Shep-style and get laughed out of the room.