Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Whoops!

https://twitter.com/middleeastwars/status/846752694786314240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

If we could make this happen at more funerals over there, the war on terror would be over in six months as the cascade of corpses exponentially increased.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Allahu akbar? No wait!

Inshallah

:smug:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Inshallah Akbar!

What a time saver

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I thought T-90s would be able to detect lasing (I don't think that's the right term but I'm using it)? Or are these the crap export models being used by SAA? I think the running away might point towards SAA but I dunno, I can't read squigglly letters

I think that's a T-62M, not a T-90, but if it were a T-90 it would be able to detect being lased. There's no need to lase them to fire a TOW at them, though.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Genocide Tendency posted:

Pretty sure there is roughly 400 actual pictures of this that were set up/posed.

Oh, easy. http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/19/t/153185.aspx

That's actually his second cartoon for that - he did an earlier version with a much more clean-cut pre-war looking trooper, campaign hat and all, which I can't find easily with GIS.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's actually pretty great. I generally think model dioramas that people build at home are dumb, but that...I like that.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Q: What nation and unit does the man standing next to the women's auxillary baloon corps and thinking "One day I hope to supply my family with that much food" come from?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
What's Gabe Newell doing in that picture.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It would be funny if they gave him a kippa-sized helmet to go with his kevlar cravat

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

That's apparently Gerry Brownlee, New Zealand's Minister of Defence, and he's in Iraq

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That kiwi definitely don't fly.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jaguars! posted:

Q: What nation and unit does the man standing next to the women's auxillary baloon corps and thinking "One day I hope to supply my family with that much food" come from?

NNNnnooooorrrrrrrmmmmmm!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You know that sharp, twanging noise bridge cables that snap make in movies? That's what I imagine some of those Kevlar strands are emitting.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

The real crime is not shooting the person who took the footage. Do they have Parkinson's?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jaguars! posted:

Man. Even if they can't hit the broad side of a barn at this range that guy's still in serious danger.

Dammit. Comment seen elsewhere: "Meal Team 6"

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 30, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm the dude cracking up in the background

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

Man. Even if they can't hit the broad side of a barn at this range that guy's still in serious danger.

Dammit. Comment seen elsewhere: "Meal Team 6"

Sgt Shultz is the other comment making the rounds in NZ.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Plz don't disrespect our minister of defence, he tries so hard he took university entrance twice and I also want to know whether the other guy is an Iraqi or some other ally country.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Uh yea, the weird squiggly lines on his shoulder plus his baller stache confirm that he is indeed an iraqi.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That red patch is a specific IA unit, paratroopers I think.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Was the giant drawing of a parachute a giveaway?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Did the Iraqis have any cool morale patches?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I don't the concept of morale is huge in most Arab armies

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

bulletsponge13 posted:

That red patch is a specific IA unit, paratroopers I think.

You know how they get them to jump out of the planes?

they fly towards combat

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thinkdefence/status/847817858176430080

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

The Iraqi army dudes I dealt with loved having anything we had, and I knew a couple of dudes who traded theirs away to some IA.

And I know I've seen some pictures of IA SF dudes with morale patches.

The Pi dude posted:

You know how they get them to jump out of the planes?

they fly towards combat

This one took me a second, but it's a pretty good joke.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah, they mostly say "Labayki ya Zaynab"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Smashurbanipal posted:

Yeah, they mostly say "Labayki ya Zaynab"

Does that translate into "molon labe"?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
"gently caress This I'm Out"

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
In https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764654&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post470783745 the Syrian Army are getting samples of TOWs quite easily - does this have implications intelligence-wise, or is it just assumed that the Russians/Chinese would already know of, or have samples of these TOWs?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Pikehead posted:

In https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764654&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post470783745 the Syrian Army are getting samples of TOWs quite easily - does this have implications intelligence-wise, or is it just assumed that the Russians/Chinese would already know of, or have samples of these TOWs?

I doubt we are shipping anything that is not already out there. They have been making TOWs since the 60s.
And in all the pics I've seen, they are using older variants (at least a gen behind the current issued system) and they can't even use some of the missile variants that are produced. If we are shipping some new poo poo, we would be hindered by the old targeting system.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In a way, knowing how the Syrians/Russians are jamming the last gen probably helps keep the current gen ahead of those countermeasures.

Good for Syria though. The intel work alone is impressive.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

do not listen to if you have bad PTSD

https://soundcloud.com/magneticart/firefight-no-name-village

this was posted here a long time ago

PookBear fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 2, 2017

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Variation on a popular theme

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've been on a Troubles kick because, well it's just interesting, and goddamn was it crazy. Maybe because it was an actual sectarian-insurgent-counterinsurgent war in the English speaking world in our lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcS2LBx3nZ4

Also love the British colonel at 14:20. Brits have a way of saying "poo poo's hosed" without saying exactly that.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 2, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Reverand maynard posted:

do not listen to if you have bad PTSD

https://soundcloud.com/magneticart/firefight-no-name-village

this was posted here a long time ago

Jesus that's intense

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wikkheiser posted:

I've been on a Troubles kick because, well it's just interesting, and goddamn was it crazy. Maybe because it was an actual sectarian-insurgent-counterinsurgent war in the English speaking world in our lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcS2LBx3nZ4

Also love the British colonel at 14:20. Brits have a way of saying "poo poo's hosed" without saying exactly that.

No idea why the Brits didn't just move the border a couple km back and washed their hands of the mess. If you look at the voting results up until even Brexit it's pretty clear where the ethnic divide is.

Also this is kinda interesting:

quote:

According to Malcolm Sutton's Index of Deaths from the Conflict in Ireland:[193]

Of those killed by British security forces:

187 (~51.5%) were civilians
145 (~39.9%) were members of republican paramilitaries
18 (~4.9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
13 (~3.5%) were fellow members of the British security forces

Of those killed by republican paramilitaries:

1080 (~52%) were members/former members of the British security forces
723 (~35%) were civilians
187 (~9%) were members of republican paramilitaries
57 (~2.7%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
11 (~0.5%) were members of the Irish security forces

Of those killed by loyalist paramilitaries:

878 (~85.4%) were civilians
94 (~9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
41 (~4%) were members of republican paramilitaries
14 (~1%) were members of the British security forces

Thus while republican paramilitaries caused the greatest number of deaths overall, they caused fewer civilian deaths than loyalist paramilitaries, and had a lower civilian-to-combatant casualty ratio than either of the other two belligerents.

That civilian kill ratio for loyalist paramilitaries, yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

That civilian kill ratio for loyalist paramilitaries, yikes.
:psyduck:

The loyalist paramilitaries were some scary people. I want to read more about them and also about collusion between them and the security forces. A lot of the easiest stuff to find, videos and such, are about the IRA. My guess is that's because all sides in the conflict had an interest in focusing on them, either because they were the "bad guys" in the British press, because the IRA's propaganda machinery played into this as well, and because foreign observers sympathized with them as the "good guys."

Also this documentary is pretty dark. Focuses on some psychologically damaged ex-IRA men who drive cabs now. But poo poo was hosed. There's a lot of pointing out the window and "oh that's where my mate took a bullet to the dome on the second of October 1982."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQAusM72s7g

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 2, 2017