Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilcrusher2
Jan 17, 2012

I was way off. Turns out Alien vs Predator isn't about an illegal immigrant fighting a child molester.
I currently work as a volunteer with KTSW 89.9 FM, the college radio station at Texas State University. During this current semester I am a program producer for a show I created titled "Ranch It Up".

The show is a 2 hr new wave block played Fri from 12-2pm CST, and has the following description:

quote:

"This eclectic duo strive to bring you a mix of left-field comedy and several decades worth of new wave music. Insight and information about artist and band history, albums, show dates, genres and other fun facts. Common genres include New wave, Post-punk, Synthpop, Electroclash, indie dance, Futurepop, Chillwave, vaporwave and retrowave"

Here are the first 6 week's playlists on Spotify.

So what does this have to do with SomethingAwful.com?

quote:

I would like to create a new show for the fall semester and need ideas. The current show will not be continuing after this semester. It's just become a bit difficult to get ahold of music that the station can play due to some rules at the station and the station's format. With that in mind, I figured it might be fun to get the GBS crew involved, and make something that winds up being radio on another level.

Why is this difficult? Well it deals with the rules.

quote:

• Obviously because this is an FM station and not a online only stream, the music can have zero cursing when played. The occasional swear word is okay because it can be edited out in Adobe Audition. But if a song has frequent swearing, it will be over edited and undesirable to listen to on radio
  • The standard station format is indie rock, indie music. Think jangle pop/rock, post garage rock revival, light hip hop, and light electro-clash. Specialty shows don't have to be that exactly, but the station doesn't want things that are way off from that. It can happen but it will take place late at night. Want a list of what the station plays? Look at this recently played list.
  • As well with the station format, the station does not desire to play artists that are well known or get commercial radio play. The concept is to draw attention to new and upcoming artists that would have no shot of getting played on a commercial station as they are just starting out. As well, established artists do not need the help of a college station to get their music played. This will start being heavily enforced after my show, due to my show following set of rules that were similar but laid out as "No FM staples, No Hits, No major US singles." Somebody got upset that my show was drawing a lot of attention to it when they couldn't get that attention, and others found it unfair that a newcomer was bringing in an audience when they can't.
  • As stated in the previous bullet - No FM Staples, no hit U.S. singles, no singles from well known established artists.
  • Making fun of artists or talking negatively of artists is not allowed. I get around this when I talk about why a band is named what they are named, or why the genre is named as such. An example would be the Shoe-gaze genre. It is perfectly acceptable to say "I saw a band like them one time, and all they did was stare and put on a face that told me they would rather be eating dirt in the back alley." The humor here in he forums can work, it's just a matter of wording it in a way that isn't as obvious to the faculty or other students.

Any ideas for music or even a show name? If this works horrendously well, we could see this go beyond the 5 month mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Do your own home work OP

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Oh god :cripes:

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

JakeP posted:

Do your own home work OP

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I have seen some poorly thought out ideas in my time.

congratulations, this is a bright new plateu.

what will you call it "stuff ppl say on general bulls**t"?

staberind fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 2, 2017

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
eat poo poo, op.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Prince posted:

eat poo poo, op.

hahaha

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I only listen to Insane Clown Posse

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i read your post and it still does not seem clear: are you asking us to link you loads of youtube links to indie songs or are you offering GBS posters a way to host or cohost a slot on a show, using our microphones?

i have an SM57 and if you even so much as made me think about hooking it back up but don't actually plan to invite me on the radio, i will post pictures of women with huge butts in your thread and no one will ever do your homework for you

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Can you post the butts anyway?

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
can I be part of the morning crew? I will bring my own sound effects

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

evilcrusher2 posted:

Any ideas for music or even a show name? If this works horrendously well, we could see this go beyond the 5 month mark.
The gently caress Hut

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is Eläkeläiset indie rock because if you let GBS choose radio music Eläkeläiset is what you end up with.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is Eläkeläiset indie rock because if you let GBS choose radio music Eläkeläiset is what you end up with.

I hope they are and I hope Orphic Oxtra are too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BdyIGtYcg

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress no

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

luncheon meat posted:

Oh here's some actual indie rock I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oCAJlY6ApM

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

luncheon meat posted:

why is it goons hate dumb wacky random comedy but dumb wacky random "experimental" music gets a pass when its the same as the comedy but has poo poo music

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol: things as usual:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Why the gently caress do radio shows love using the word "eclectic"???

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

stoner/doom metal, op. electric wizard, the sword, the melvins, asphyx, truckfighters, maybe some early non-radio-singles black sabbath tracks. sludge that poo poo up. if shoegaze flies then you can probably make some of this work, especially electric wizard

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Just google more poo poo with "wave" in the genre title, because that's what it seems like you already did, OP.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Can I do a numbers station show?

E: with a subtle beat it could count as future funk

Sponge Baathist fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 2, 2017

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Do the songs need words? If not a Ronald Jenkees song every now and then might be cool.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nah no thanks

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Milky Moor posted:

NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD

The version which had the low screaming enhanced is my fav

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Op, feel free to use all my funny GBS posts free of charge.
You can squeeze many seconds of entertainment out!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'd do thing, but what is thing you want

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I'm in Op. Make sure to include the Gbs Christmas music

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Also I have several hours of recorded stand up routines I will email you. What is your email

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of idiot listens to music over the radio. lol yeah i'll just let some DJ decide my playlist for me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i have over 20 hours of recordings of interviews with local important people of Windsor, Ontario in the 1980s. city councilors, local business owners, etc PM me if you are interested in this exciting content

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

eclectic mix of new wave, flavor wave, fave wave, and wave wave

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ranch it UP

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ranch IT up

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

radio on another level

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

luncheon meat posted:

why does this video never get old

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

OMGVBFLOL posted:

stoner/doom metal, op. electric wizard, the sword, the melvins, asphyx, truckfighters, maybe some early non-radio-singles black sabbath tracks. sludge that poo poo up. if shoegaze flies then you can probably make some of this work, especially electric wizard

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i used to think i hated metal but i found out that what kids these days call metal is just poo poo and they invented good metal like forty years ago its just nobody cares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMkPUVkm7ug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ncp is the only person who knows about 1970s metal

spread the word lol

• Locked thread