Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Force Speed is dummmmmmb. Action stacking is getting kinda nuts already. Combined with Planned Explosion this might create some serious issues. The fact that your die faces don't matter and the other person potentially having no actions to respond to the stacking before losing pretty much any character immediately is going to make Han/Rey decks loving nuts. Part of the genius of this game is the back and forth nature, but they're already being really aggressive with allowing easy ways to go against that design pillar. The best analogy I can think of is land destruction in MtG and how WotC learned quickly how much that can gently caress up the game for the other player.

And WHY the gently caress is Planned Explosion 0 cost?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ronpaulit'shappening.gif

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone pull anything amazing? I saw many people get 2-3 legendarys out of the 6 packs we were able to buy. Store only got 1 kit and we had about 18 people there. I happened to pull an Obi-Wan and a Slave I, as well as a few decent rares.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Of the three stores in my area who applied for a pre-release, zero were approved. So no, I did not pull anything amazing. :mad:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pulled an Obi and a Maz's goggles out of 9 pre-release packs

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I only got 3 packs because the shop I went to scheduled the event from 3 to 7 and said that they weren't selling extras until after it ended to ensure as many people get packs and stuff. So I got bored after an hour and left. Though I did have my son with me haha. I pulled luminaria, supply line and rebel commando, but only pulled 5 cards that weren't hero only, and only 2 of those went into my jango troopers deck. 1 fast hands and 1 card that I can't remember the name of right now. It's a red card that costs 0 and allows you to resolve a die showing damage and make an opponent lose a resource. Both cards did pretty well in the 5 games I played. Wish the event was shorter so I could have bought more packs.

The set looks good so far though, can't wait for my box next month.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Has there been any indication when the actual release of SoR is going to be?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I went to my LGS for a prerelease, ended up getting 4 packs there. 3 were basically trash, the Delta 7, a generic astromech and supply Line but I got a tie pilot which is pretty good.

Played some games then someone mentioned another store that was having a prerelease in the city so we jumped on a tram.

Not many people turned up so after the 3 boosters I got for the event, I was able to buy 22 more! Pulled Obi Wan, Chewie's bowcaster, force speed and IG88. Slightly behind the curve on legendaries but I'm not complaining, in fact I'm loving stoked! Got eUnkar too which I was really hoping for.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you open Force Speed anything else is just gravy

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, I'm very happy with force speed.

I was playing an eBala, Death trooper, TIE Pilot deck for most of the afternoon and it's strong. Not being able to remove Bala and the troopers ranged damage dice is brutal.

I beat a Han rey deck that got force speed and a vibro knife that they overwrote a holdout blaster for on rey first turn. So he had 3 actions before using force speed turn one.

I just rolled more damage.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone post a picture of Supply Line if you open one?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Here you go

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 2, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks mate, I need a couple of those for sure

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Orvin posted:

Has there been any indication when the actual release of SoR is going to be?

Only thing we know is May. Though my lgs said they were told early May and are thinking it'll release on the 4th.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I got 3 packs for a C-3PO, A180 Sniper, and Lightsaber Pike. Couldn't use any of those dice in my Rey/Han deck which made me sad because C-3PO looks fun, but was able to add Never Tell Me The Odds. Got to use it with Infamous out once, dropped 10 ranged damage. Got to Top 8 in a 39 man tourney at the FFG release, then lost a best 2 of 3 to Dooku/Kylo in the 3rd match, had Dooku down to 4 health before he rolled a ridiculous damage group and was able to slice through Second Chance and still kill Han. But we were both a little mentally fatigued by the end of our 9th game. I felt almost relieved to go home and relax.

I can't wait to get some Vibro Knives and another Never Tell Me The Odds. Honestly I think Force Speed is too much diminishing returns in Rey/Han and takes up both a valuable card slot and upgrade spot. It looks like it'll work much better with Fast Hands on a character with better damage sides like in Vader/Raider.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Benthalus posted:

I got 3 packs for a C-3PO, A180 Sniper, and Lightsaber Pike. Couldn't use any of those dice in my Rey/Han deck which made me sad because C-3PO looks fun, but was able to add Never Tell Me The Odds. Got to use it with Infamous out once, dropped 10 ranged damage. Got to Top 8 in a 39 man tourney at the FFG release, then lost a best 2 of 3 to Dooku/Kylo in the 3rd match, had Dooku down to 4 health before he rolled a ridiculous damage group and was able to slice through Second Chance and still kill Han. But we were both a little mentally fatigued by the end of our 9th game. I felt almost relieved to go home and relax.

I can't wait to get some Vibro Knives and another Never Tell Me The Odds. Honestly I think Force Speed is too much diminishing returns in Rey/Han and takes up both a valuable card slot and upgrade spot. It looks like it'll work much better with Fast Hands on a character with better damage sides like in Vader/Raider.

Fast hand is the poo poo with Jango. I got to play hold out into fast hands turn one action one, once. The game didn't go all to well for my opponent.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Elblanco posted:

Fast hand is the poo poo with Jango. I got to play hold out into fast hands turn one action one, once. The game didn't go all to well for my opponent.

Oh absolutely, Fast Hands is excellent, I was just saying that Rey decks don't need it or Force Speed much.

Also, I just realized C-3P0 essentially guarantees one of your die specials at the cost of two actions, and giving the opponent only a single opportunity to remove the die. Poe just got even more reliable. Wow.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got the shuttle, force lightning, and blackmail in my prerelease packs. I hope blackmail is good. it's an expensive upgrade but I want control to work. My usual deck is an unoptimized eBala, Phasma, and FO trooper so I already have my aggro needs.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
My pre-release packs were ok, Unkar Plutt, Guavian Enforcer, and Vibroknife. I'll probably try out a Unkar/Jabba deck at some point and Vibroknife will probably get some good use. On the other hand I got 3 Awakenings packs from our league and opened up my second Captain Phasma, first Millennium Falcon, and third Hold-out blaster. I'm going to wait until the next wave of Awakenings comes out and hope prices on singles drop so I can fill in the last of my playset.

Played in the league finals with my Leia-Ackbar deck while we were there. Managed to win the first one, then lost two close ones in a row. He was playing Rey-Han and did a really good job at avoiding It's a Trap and I never rolled well enough for All In to do much.

I never got around to posting the cool unofficial alternate art cards we got as prizes. So here you go.

First place also got a Vader, but I don't have a picture because I lost.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
We had fifteen people show up for the prerelease, which surprised me because I didn't think we were going to get anyone. Apparently people were making the drive to every NY/NJ/CT store they could to get as many packs as possible. There were lots of stories about stores getting boxes in and not running events, instead holding them to sell on eBay or any other way they could mark them up. I should've sold my packs because there was nothing good in them except a Baze, but everyone had a lot of fun playing and talking about the new cards, so it was a success.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea I've seen tons of packs going on ebay for 4-5x retail. I saw 12 with a few set of promos (3-4 of each) sell for $160 before I left for work this morning.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

ShowTime posted:

Yea I've seen tons of packs going on ebay for 4-5x retail. I saw 12 with a few set of promos (3-4 of each) sell for $160 before I left for work this morning.

Hopefully Asmodee/FFG crack down on this sort of thing, it's pretty poisonous.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ultiville posted:

Hopefully Asmodee/FFG crack down on this sort of thing, it's pretty poisonous.

They can't stop players from selling the packs they bought but didn't open, but they can impose sanctions on stores hoarding boxes to sell. It's not always obvious which is which, or at least not obvious enough to prove within reason.

Some guy who grinded a bunch of prereleases in the Northeast managed to put together an ePalpatine deck, and it is brutal. Probably easy to metagame against, but most Awakenings-only decks will have a very hard time against it. The free four damage a turn is crazy. Even when I had spot removal, the fact that even his resource side did 2 damage meant there were so many more dice to worry about.

Edit: He also had a Jyn/Akbar deck. Jyn is amazing and makes many yellow events go from fringe playable to incredible. It's amazing what a difference one resource makes.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 3, 2017

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

They can't stop players from selling the packs they bought but didn't open, but they can impose sanctions on stores hoarding boxes to sell. It's not always obvious which is which, or at least not obvious enough to prove within reason.

Some guy who grinded a bunch of prereleases in the Northeast managed to put together an ePalpatine deck, and it is brutal. Probably easy to metagame against, but most Awakenings-only decks will have a very hard time against it. The free four damage a turn is crazy. Even when I had spot removal, the fact that even his resource side did 2 damage meant there were so many more dice to worry about.

Well at this point any unopened boxes of SoR would be from a preview kit, so it'd obviously be a store selling. It's hard though, because FFG still wants stores to buy the product for sale later and it's still a game in infancy. But given the demand and sales numbers, I think FFG will have far more leverage in the future.

Most of the serious players here did 2 events Friday night, 4 events Saturday, then 2 events Sunday playing only a single tournament at the first on Sunday. I don't have that much motivation and am happy to wait for my retail boxes. I did play against a eKrennic/Trooper deck Saturday, but that was an FFG employee with a little better access to cards.

As for ePalpatine, he's very fragile to removal and disruption. Most of hist sides can be Electroshocked, Deflect is dangerous, Use the Force once they're out of cards to discard, Unpredictable prior to any of those hoping for a blank. If you can take out they're resources, the lack of upgrades is going to be a much larger handicap than decks running 4 character dice already. I'm pretty my current Rey/Han would have little trouble against ePalp.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Benthalus posted:

Well at this point any unopened boxes of SoR would be from a preview kit, so it'd obviously be a store selling. It's hard though, because FFG still wants stores to buy the product for sale later and it's still a game in infancy. But given the demand and sales numbers, I think FFG will have far more leverage in the future.

Most of the serious players here did 2 events Friday night, 4 events Saturday, then 2 events Sunday playing only a single tournament at the first on Sunday. I don't have that much motivation and am happy to wait for my retail boxes. I did play against a eKrennic/Trooper deck Saturday, but that was an FFG employee with a little better access to cards.

As for ePalpatine, he's very fragile to removal and disruption. Most of hist sides can be Electroshocked, Deflect is dangerous, Use the Force once they're out of cards to discard, Unpredictable prior to any of those hoping for a blank. If you can take out they're resources, the lack of upgrades is going to be a much larger handicap than decks running 4 character dice already. I'm pretty my current Rey/Han would have little trouble against ePalp.

I was playing Han/Rey against it. I did the double-ambush disrupt first turn, but he unfortunately had a Holocron that he rolled a special into... I want to say Force Choke? He had three force abilities on at the end and I forgot which came first. If I put Second Chance on Han and/or had some more ambush cards to give him shields to absorb the damage spread, it would have been a much closer game.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

I was playing Han/Rey against it. I did the double-ambush disrupt first turn, but he unfortunately had a Holocron that he rolled a special into... I want to say Force Choke? He had three force abilities on at the end and I forgot which came first. If I put Second Chance on Han and/or had some more ambush cards to give him shields to absorb the damage spread, it would have been a much closer game.

Well that's just poo poo luck for you (and excellent luck for the opponent). Any game against any opponent that starts with a Holocron special and another Force ability in hand is going to end poorly, whether it's ePalp, Vader/Raider, Kylo/Dooku or whatever. Especially when your Second Chances are at the bottom. Believe me, I've been there many times.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Benthalus posted:

Well that's just poo poo luck for you (and excellent luck for the opponent). Any game against any opponent that starts with a Holocron special and another Force ability in hand is going to end poorly, whether it's ePalp, Vader/Raider, Kylo/Dooku or whatever. Especially when your Second Chances are at the bottom. Believe me, I've been there many times.

I guess you're right, I was super tired and my opponent was super hyper and even though it wasn't a game with any stakes, it still put me on tilt.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

My biggest beef with playing against Holocron decks is that if they don't have Holocron, I'm probably going to crush them. If they have Holocron, they're probably going to crush me. Since they can advance their board with Holocron whilst also playing removal cards with the resources they save. If they don't have Holocron, I can either win by running them out of control cards or outpacing their development.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Benthalus posted:

I did play against a eKrennic/Trooper deck Saturday, but that was an FFG employee with a little better access to cards.

Hey, that was me! You must be my 2nd round opponent? I lost to Phasma/Guavian/Stormie in round 3, then went to the dog park. Poor targeting priority on my part in that one.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

pbpancho posted:

Hey, that was me! You must be my 2nd round opponent? I lost to Phasma/Guavian/Stormie in round 3, then went to the dog park. Poor targeting priority on my part in that one.

Wow, small world! Maybe I should start asking my opponents about stairs in their house? That was a fun and close game, and pretty cool to play against the new characters. Of course, yet another where my Second Chances were at the bottom. I probably should have left earlier too, but making the cut and winning the first was nice. Honestly though the best of 3 was a little much at the end and I think everyone was burned out.

Also, :regd04:

I've never gotten to use that before

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Somehow managed to draw two Krennics in six boosters (and traded a Tie Pilot for a Death Trooper), so I've put together a eKrennic/Jabba mill deck to try out at my FLGS tonight.

Given all the awesome new upgrades and supports that compliment eDooku/eJabba though, I'm not sure if this deck will be quite as good. But, I have one copy of Imperial Inspection, which I feel will be the centrepiece in some ways of Krennic mill decks (and just Red Villain decks generally). Once I get two copies of Loose Ends (YV. Cost 2. Ambush. Remove one of your dice showing ranged damage to discard the top 4 cards of an opponent's deck.) I think that'll really make Krennic really viable (and find a great use for the ranged sides on him and his death trooper).

Interested to see how well claiming the battlefield works with this mill deck though, because my Dooku/Jabba is often really content to control until they claim, the resolve. If nothing else, maybe Krennic will scare people into claiming early? That might be worth losing the DT die.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

BJPaskoff posted:

Edit: He also had a Jyn/Akbar deck. Jyn is amazing and makes many yellow events go from fringe playable to incredible. It's amazing what a difference one resource makes.

They have leverage in this case since my understanding is that they have to approve stores to run the pre-release events like this. Certainly they could set it up such that they have to, and the one I ran for Awakenings wasn't just "order it from the distributor", you had to apply.

Not sure if they did that with SoR though.

Also if you play in the Northeast we almost certainly have at least contacts in common. I was the Events Manager at Pandemonium in Boston until the start of this year (left to start my own store in Western MA, which is why I don't know about SoR sanctioning - store opens tomorrow so I missed it).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ultiville posted:

They have leverage in this case since my understanding is that they have to approve stores to run the pre-release events like this. Certainly they could set it up such that they have to, and the one I ran for Awakenings wasn't just "order it from the distributor", you had to apply.

Not sure if they did that with SoR though.

Also if you play in the Northeast we almost certainly have at least contacts in common. I was the Events Manager at Pandemonium in Boston until the start of this year (left to start my own store in Western MA, which is why I don't know about SoR sanctioning - store opens tomorrow so I missed it).

I don't have many contacts yet as far as Destiny goes, but I've heard of Pandemonium from Magic.

FFG did have to approve stores getting prerelease kits. Stores aren't afraid of rubbing FFG the wrong way yet, I don't think. FFG is going to have to fire some warning shots if they don't want stores to walk all over them when it comes to hoarding product to sell at inflated prices, applying for kits and selling the promos online, etc.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Benthalus posted:

Wow, small world! Maybe I should start asking my opponents about stairs in their house? That was a fun and close game, and pretty cool to play against the new characters. Of course, yet another where my Second Chances were at the bottom. I probably should have left earlier too, but making the cut and winning the first was nice. Honestly though the best of 3 was a little much at the end and I think everyone was burned out.

Also, :regd04:

I've never gotten to use that before

Yeah, I heard it was top 16? That's crazy, up to 12 more games after what I guess was 4 rounds of swiss?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't have many contacts yet as far as Destiny goes, but I've heard of Pandemonium from Magic.

FFG did have to approve stores getting prerelease kits. Stores aren't afraid of rubbing FFG the wrong way yet, I don't think. FFG is going to have to fire some warning shots if they don't want stores to walk all over them when it comes to hoarding product to sell at inflated prices, applying for kits and selling the promos online, etc.

They could nicely alleviate the issue by providing enough stock so stores that want to run events actually can run them. Still my #1 gripe for this game is the lack of product. Hopefully once SoR fully drops we don't have a stock issue again but I'm doubtful that there won't be any shortage.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

pbpancho posted:

Yeah, I heard it was top 16? That's crazy, up to 12 more games after what I guess was 4 rounds of swiss?

Exactly. They didn't even start the semi-finals until after 7 PM.

As for FFG gaining clout, this game has the potential to get huge. Think of your average elementary school kid playing Pokemon. They get to middle school and realize pocket monsters are a bit childish. Do you then go for the massive library, complex to the point of convoluted, 200 page rulebook game that isn't very recognizable? Or do you choose the game with simple rules but complex strategy with fun dice to roll and characters you recognize from movies, TV shows and games? Oh, and you get to use lightsabers.

The CCG market is fickle, and MTG will likely always be king, but Destiny has the underpinnings of a future upset.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The problem that will stop Destiny from getting as big as it could is that the game adds an additional random element through rolling dice. Eventually people start hating RNG. Hearthstone uses a lot of it and has been super successful, but people are also starting to hate all the RNG and are shifting away from the game. It's also hard to compare a digital card game to a physical one. Collections and value are entirely different. People will hate spending $50 for that must-have card, like they currently do in MTG standard. If FFG is smart, they will shift away from the randomness as much as possible.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

People continue to play MTG even though it's a resource-based game that has hugely variable resources. You just need to convince the playerbase that there's enough skill in there to get through the variance. Or do it the X-wing way and make hyper-accurate attacks in the future.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The dice are actually pretty non-offensive compared to something like Hearthstone, and overall Destiny still compares pretty favorably to MtG randomness. The smaller decks, ease of drawing through most of it, and ability to alter your dice through various mechanics means the RNG is much less deterministic than it could be. Sure, a game can still come down to a dice roll, but no more often than other games come down to a top deck or bad land draw, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So this game sounded kinda cool back in December, but I was never able to find actual product for sale and apparently I still can't to this day unless I want to pay several times MSRP. Any word if this will ever be remedied, or should I just move on?