Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Elysiume posted:

I walk to work, some of my coworkers bike, bus, or drive to work. we all use the bathrooms.

in my example only 1% of the employees need the ladies bathrooms. how is that not the same as 1% needing parking spots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

in my example only 1% of the employees need the ladies bathrooms. how is that not the same as 1% needing parking spots?
for one thing, companies are legally required to provide bathrooms. that aside, it's hardly the same. going to the bathroom is something that everyone fundamentally needs to do. providing bathrooms for women is not a bonus (like free parking would be), because everyone goes to the bathroom. for parking spaces, the 99% aren't just using a different kind of parking space, they're using nothing at all. your argument is contingent on women's bathroom : men's bathroom :: parking space : nothing

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

note that the company certainly should provide parking spaces for employees physically disabled such that they can't avail themselves of other options. in a lot of locations it is very much a choice whether to drive or not though, or whether to park close or far away, and it is not necessarily up to the company to deal with. very high up on the list of obvious quality of life perks for a lot of places though

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if 1% of the employees "need" parking spots the company should tell them to gently caress off because if 99% have figured out how to commute without them there are obv plenty of possibilities

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

poty posted:

if 1% of the employees "need" parking spots the company should tell them to gently caress off because if 99% have figured out how to commute without them there are obv plenty of possibilities

😂😂😂

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

poty posted:

lol I hope you tell the wheelchair bound guy to gently caress off with his "accommodations"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

paying for parking is total bullshit. if they are not going to pay for it then they shouldn't be able to require your rear end to be on their chairs every day. it doesn't matter if 99% of the company walks. that's like saying women need to pay for ladies toilets maintenance because 99% of the company are men and don't use

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if you work somewhere dense enough that parking is very expensive and you expect your job to pay for it you're a bad person and should work in the exurbs where there are nothing but parking lots as far as the eye can see

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

leper khan posted:

lol I hope you tell the wheelchair bound guy to gently caress off with his "accommodations"

Do you not have kneeling busses where you're from? Wheelchair bound people can easily use public transit, maybe even easier than driving.

Not having parking provided by my employer in downtown Seattle is a pain, but driving to/from work would be similarly miserable to taking the bus. Seattle's traffic is such a nightmare they should probably consider limiting downtown access to cars like London has done

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

mishaq posted:

if you work somewhere dense enough that parking is very expensive and you expect your job to pay for it you're a bad person and should work in the exurbs where there are nothing but parking lots as far as the eye can see

yeah let me pay business expenses like a dumbass

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

yeah let me pay business expenses like a dumbass

commuting and parking for your office are not business expenses

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html

sorry about your terrible life choices living away from functional transit in a city that apparently has it, hope the mcmansion was worth it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

commuting and parking for your office are not business expenses

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html

sorry about your terrible life choices living away from functional transit in a city that apparently has it, hope the mcmansion was worth it

ok, i'll bite, which one city in the entire country do you deem acceptable to live in?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

ok, i'll bite, which one city in the entire country do you deem acceptable to live in?

pittsburgh

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
re:

leper khan posted:

i agree with the post below obv

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

note that the company certainly should provide parking spaces for employees physically disabled such that they can't avail themselves of other options.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lmfao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i almost wrecked my car in bad weather driving home from the last job interview i had welp ok that's my contribution bye

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

individual car ownership is a societal blight and should be punished whenever possible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

driving is a privilege and does not need the handout of free parking

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

paying for parking is total bullshit. if they are not going to pay for it then they shouldn't be able to require your rear end to be on their chairs every day. it doesn't matter if 99% of the company walks. that's like saying women need to pay for ladies toilets maintenance because 99% of the company are men and don't use their toilets.

i'm the analogy we can all relate to

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

parking: exactly as important as treating women like people

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

when you said need were you really thinking about the disabled (who need some form of accommodation which might be parking) or did you just backpedal there

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lol if you have to commute

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Bloody posted:

more; everyone can own a car but not everyone identifies as a woman

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Caltech didn't have women's restrooms in its engineering buildings at one time and some tech conferences have closed women's restrooms and relabeled them as men's so be careful what you ask for

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bloody posted:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

driving to work and gendered bathrooms are both bad.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Many things about cities are very counter intuitive. For example it seems like making bigger roads, or flyovers, or elevated highways will solve traffic jams. And clearly that has never been the case. Because what creates traffic is not the number of cars, but the number of trips and the length of trips. They'll need more road infrastructure and the traffic will become even worse. The only way to solve traffic jams is to restrict car use, and the most obvious way of restricting car use is restricting parking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPf4s2oFnp0

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

Many things about cities are very counter intuitive. For example it seems like making bigger roads, or flyovers, or elevated highways will solve traffic jams. And clearly that has never been the case. Because what creates traffic is not the number of cars, but the number of trips and the length of trips. They'll need more road infrastructure and the traffic will become even worse. The only way to solve traffic jams is to restrict car use, and the most obvious way of restricting car use is restricting parking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPf4s2oFnp0

congestion tolls are cool & good and every major city should have them

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
real talk, I'd find it very hard to live in the bay and commute like an hour each way to a campus when I can live in Seattle and walk 20 minutes to work. at least they have the private busses, I guess.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

real talk, I'd find it very hard to live in the bay and commute like an hour each way to a campus when I can live in Seattle and walk 20 minutes to work. at least they have the private busses, I guess.

one of my coworkers used to commute into SJ from santa cruz every single day, which for the unfamiliar is well over an hour along twisty mountainous highway, which he did for over a year b/c the rent was cheaper

w/ traffic he told me he'd spend ~4.5 hours in his car total some days, until i convinced him to move closer to work (he's a new grad and had never lived downtown before). dude is completely changed now and seems 100% happier despite spending half his income on rent

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol if u drive to work

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

paying for parking is total bullshit. if they are not going to pay for it then they shouldn't be able to require your rear end to be on their chairs every day. it doesn't matter if 99% of the company walks. that's like saying women need to pay for ladies toilets maintenance because 99% of the company are men and don't use their toilets.

that guy may have been an incompetent employee but at least he had some self-respect. kudos to him.

this guy fucks and cums in his car

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PokeJoe posted:

this guy fucks and cums in his car

I haven't done that since I was a teenager with nowhere to take my girlfriend.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
cars are not the problem. cities are

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cities are good

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

Cities are good

cities are good if you have a lot of people, but people are really bad, so its kind of a catch 22

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
city dwellers use fewer resources per capita and are more efficient by a significant margin

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

cities are good if you have a lot of people, but people are really bad, so its kind of a catch 22

this checks out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

misanthrope metropolis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

newjob issued me a brand new laptop with a Xeon badge maxed out RAM and NVME storage and this is so different than the leftover poo poo I was issued as a staff augmentation contractor I'm still kinda freaked out by it

commute kinda sucks but at least I'm against traffic so :shrug: someday I'll find a job downtown I guess

• Locked thread