Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh ok so any and all forms of science and discovery are evil liberal plots got it.

Like, I don't think that's what he's getting at but it's the only message I can discern.

Republicans loooooove voter ID laws and Gerrymandering to oppress democratic votes.

Democrats loooooove bussing in illegal aliens from other planets, sticking them in a trenchcoat and Groucho glasses, then poking a ray gun in their ribs telling them to vote liberal.

It's all part of the big game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Another one that I think I haven't see brought up this round: Ted Rall hates that first responders are praised for responding to a bombing. They're just doing their jobs, what's the big deal? Why do we feel the need to praise them for doing what they signed up to do? And while I've got this breath going, why is it cartoonists other than me get awards, when I should be getting them all?

I don't think he made a cartoon specifically espousing this particular aspect of his belief system but he did make a pair of blog posts critiquing cartoons that came out following the Boston Marathon bombing and he is just so transparent about how much he hates people getting praise he feels they do not deserve.

http://rall.com/2013/04/18/cartoon-critique

Ted Rall posted:

Another piece by someone who has had more success than me. He’s on staff at a big daily newspaper. Full medical benefits. Retirement plan. He doesn’t have to worry about how to pay his rent every month. He won the very prestigious Herblock award, which if I’m not mistaken, was worth a cool $10,000 at the time. Might be $15,000. Not sure. Anyway, yeah, this is just an illustration of a story that anybody who has been watching the news has been following. The first responders ran toward the blast while the runners were running away. Very hot runners. But when I want to know is, is not the way it’s supposed to be? Most of the time, cops and firefighters don’t have anything to do. They’re paid a good deal of money to spring into action and risk their lives every now and then. That’s the job. They agreed to do it. How exactly does that make them heroes? And anyway, the idea that first responders are heroes is hardly something that needs to be said in an editorial cartoon. This is just pandering.

http://rall.com/2013/04/23/crappy-toons

Ted Rall posted:

I hate to pick on Nate Beeler: He’s a nice guy and a good sport. Just the luck of the draw this week. Again, this one is a combo cartoon – one that praises our saintly first responders – what a risk! – But also one that makes kind of a silly point. There was a lot of reason to think that the bombings were carried out by domestic right-wing terrorists: Boston, tax day, Patriots’ Day. Those Tea Party types, they don’t like paying their taxes. You can hardly blame the media for looking into that connection.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Jedit posted:

Funny.

And the excellent (albeit uncredited, naughty boy) homage by Deep Hurting:

This + Rallchat reminds me: in one of the previous threads Deep Hurting said something about having an additional reason to dislike Rall because Rall had personally stood in the way of him getting a job interview. Did he ever expand on that?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

get hosed Lester

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This, on the other hand, is painfully dumb.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Oh that's real funny considering you let these little shits run rampant for 7 years. Being the party of no seemed to be a good thing up until a few months ago.

Mechanization of labor is already here and there is no "caring or loving" Republican answer - particularly because they actually want you to die if you work for a living.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Another one that I think I haven't see brought up this round: Ted Rall hates that first responders are praised for responding to a bombing. They're just doing their jobs, what's the big deal? Why do we feel the need to praise them for doing what they signed up to do? And while I've got this breath going, why is it cartoonists other than me get awards, when I should be getting them all?

I don't think he made a cartoon specifically espousing this particular aspect of his belief system but he did make a pair of blog posts critiquing cartoons that came out following the Boston Marathon bombing and he is just so transparent about how much he hates people getting praise he feels they do not deserve.

http://rall.com/2013/04/18/cartoon-critique

http://rall.com/2013/04/23/crappy-toons

Rall is the epitome of that dude in any political science college course that causes every single other student to groan out loud when he raises his hand.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Brexit: the castle in the air – Chris Riddell on the triggering of article 50"

Sunday Telegraph:

UK’s support for Gibraltar will remain 'implacable and rock-like' during Brexit, Boris Johnson says

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Since we're listing all the ways in which Rall is an insufferable douche:

- Once accused an Australian cartoonist of plagiarism for depicting Hitler as Hello Kitty, which according to Rall was his Original Idea Do Not Steal. IIRC the cartoonist in question had never even heard of Rall.
- The pathetic auction for a dinner with Rall was already mentioned, but he actually had a clause stating that he wasn't obligated to actually talk to the winner at all.
- Used to get used as a token liberal on Fox News because his contrarianism had gone so far he was basically just agreeing with conservatives.
- The story about him once pushing a homeless man onto the train tracks and killing him wasn't just a one-time thing; he's told that story repeatedly over the years to many different people, in an apparent attempt to impress them.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

tyblazitar posted:

Since we're listing all the ways in which Rall is an insufferable douche:

- Once accused an Australian cartoonist of plagiarism for depicting Hitler as Hello Kitty, which according to Rall was his Original Idea Do Not Steal. IIRC the cartoonist in question had never even heard of Rall.
- The pathetic auction for a dinner with Rall was already mentioned, but he actually had a clause stating that he wasn't obligated to actually talk to the winner at all.
- Used to get used as a token liberal on Fox News because his contrarianism had gone so far he was basically just agreeing with conservatives.
- The story about him once pushing a homeless man onto the train tracks and killing him wasn't just a one-time thing; he's told that story repeatedly over the years to many different people, in an apparent attempt to impress them.

The hobo murder always confuses me, given he is the epitome of "More Liberal Than Thou". Does he give a reason for doing it, or any attempt at justification? It's Ted Rall, so I assume he's written at least an essay on why it was totally justified (even though it probably never happened).

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I like this one very much.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ted Rall's biggest sin is that he can't draw Trump. Even the worst of the wingnut hacks get that right.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

D.N. Nation posted:

Ted Rall's biggest sin is that he can't draw

There we go.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Nah, the various incarnations of this thread are testaments to that being no sin at all when it comes to making political cartoons.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Ted Rall's biggest sin is that he can't.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Ted Rall's biggest sin is that he can't.

His biggest sin is that he does anyway.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Ted Rall's biggest sin is he.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Maybe we have it backwards.

The biggest sin is Ted Rall.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Let's hear from Rall himself.

Ted Rall posted:

You don’t have to be a regular reader to know that I’ve been depicting Barack Obama in Hello Kitty regalia for about one year: flags, banners, you name it. Most recently, I did an Obamaman cartoon that depicts our lame superhero president wearing a Hello Kitty logo on his chest.

Now a sharp-eyed FOR points out that an illustrator for the Financial Times has rather brazenly ripped off my meme.

Usually, these things are less than cut and dry. But it’s pretty hard to believe that any illustrator could be unaware of my use of the Hello Kitty imagery to define Obama–it ain’t as branded as Generalissimo El Busho yet, but come on. This one fails the smell test.
His Village Voice article on Art Spiegelman is projection personified. Some of his complaints about Spiegelman? Bad art and self-obsession!

Ted Rall posted:

More often than not, Art's drawings are flat, poorly balanced, and strangely obsessed with the blue palette.

What many find most frustrating is Spiegelman's obsession with his seemingly favorite topic: himself. . . It doesn't matter if he's analyzing Charles Addams, eulogizing a dead Cuban cartoonist, or reviewing an exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery— it's always about Art.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This post to be updated in the interest of stopping the Tedd talk
E. That's it for this post

"Democracy avenue"

"What'll you have"

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 2, 2017

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I liked today's Toles:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Signe Wilkinson:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Branco and Garrison got exactly what they wanted, and they STILL aren't happy. Trump is president. You got what you asked for. Now what? Oh right, Obama/Hillary/Soros/the deep state are trying to stop MAGA!!!! It's not like Trump is really bad at this or anything. As for your McCoys, Ramirezes, Lesters tec, you didn't want Hillary to be President. Now Trump is President. Congratulations. Now what next?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Holy gently caress what

The artist made this for the 2009 Maccabiah games

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Took a few seconds wondering what Christie has to do with VLC before this clicked.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ted Rall posted:

Most recently, I did an Obamaman cartoon that depicts our lame superhero president

Ted Rall is 53 years old.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

But what direction is he pointing???:getin:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Chard posted:

Took a few seconds wondering what Christie has to do with VLC before this clicked.

VLC is our state's proudest accomplishment.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leroy Dennui posted:

VLC is our state's proudest accomplishment.

Your proudest accomplishment is the work of a Frenchmen?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Your proudest accomplishment is the work of a Frenchmen?

Yes, the statue of liberty is technically in new jersey.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AT&T Etc is the best company yet.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Inspector Hound posted:

Yes, the statue of liberty is technically in new jersey.

That's why she has her back to it, she's disgusted.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Holy gently caress what

The artist made this for the 2009 Maccabiah games

A Maccababy's got to do what a Maccababy's got to do.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
someone please edit General Halftrack into President Trump, and Ms. Buxley into Conway, tia

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I swear to god Rall's articles about Spiegelman are found in textbooks about projection.

Even Art himself admits his legacy will be a minor footnote in cartooning, whereas Rall is incapable of admitting that's he isn't all that big of a deal.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For being a Rallvolutionary, he's very litigious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This is pretty good

• Locked thread