Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Huh, my order of hermes guy just designed some siege weapons that are giving my capital +25% to siege defense for the next hundred years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know much about CK2+, but it sounds like it's largely modeling its education after the pre-Conclave education system, where the main thing that decided what education a child got was what education their teacher had, and everything else mostly just influenced traits and stuff.

RaW does this, not CK2+.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

It's this. It's a mix of pre-conclave education with the added focus benefit letting you steer kids down a hybrid route. It's how I'm able to churn out warrior accountants by setting my kids to stewardship focus and educating them under marshals.

RaW adds these back!

And it would be cool if it worked this way! Buuuut it does not, in practice. I tried it out. Out of 12 kids I tried to make warrior-accountants, exactly one became a warrior-accountant. The rest were all warrior-diplomats. I was not a diplomat. I picked stewardship and educated them under me, a warrior. I don't know how you're managing this.

In fact, it's more like I educate one random kid to see which education matches up with which actual education trait (In this case, accountant for a warrior means diplomat) and then use that information to mostly get what I actually want.

Which is why I say I super don't understand how education works in this, because if I DO understand how it works, it makes no sense.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Interesting AI characters, the 21 year old Duke of Austria and his two sisters. Was looking in the ledger for the highest prestige characters and the Duke was firmly in 1st place.

The eldest sister has 45.6 K prestige, the middle sister has 199 prestige and the Duke has 45.9 K prestige.

Weird bug I suppose.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

darthbob88 posted:

1. Not too bad, but you're right about how you hosed up. One other thing that probably won't bite you in the rear end yet: Republics can and occasionally will move their capital to the de jure capital of their primary title, and if that's inland, they stop being lovely profitable merchant republics.
2. I always just used gifts of gold and holdings to influence my vassals. Somebody else will have better advice, though.
3. Yes; it's far enough away from your other MRs that they won't compete, and IIRC the Channel coast is pretty rich, good fodder for a republic.
4. Pretty sure they can; wouldn't be surprised if that's what you saw earlier.

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a screenshot of my current situation:

Looks like Skane picked some zones up. If I revoke Vestlandet's duchy and capital county (or any necessary associated) titles, will that de-republic him and let me establish a new one in a more advantageous position? Maybe in the Netherlands if and when I claim it?

Is Uppsala connected or not?

Can I influence where they actually build trade posts?

I promise I tried to google merchant republic mechanics but couldn't find clear answers. Next playthrough will probably be as a doge just so I understand how this poo poo works.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How do you get that sweet trade post view? I have to guess and manually go through countries. It's . . . not fun.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

How do you get that sweet trade post view? I have to guess and manually go through countries. It's . . . not fun.

Isn't it in the bottom left with all the other map options?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

metasynthetic posted:

Looks like Skane picked some zones up. If I revoke Vestlandet's duchy and capital county (or any necessary associated) titles, will that de-republic him and let me establish a new one in a more advantageous position? Maybe in the Netherlands if and when I claim it?
Yes, but I'm not sure you actually can revoke a merchant republic's primary title. I remember having a hard time with that sort of thing. OTOH, I think if you just give him the Netherlands he might make that his primary title and move down there. I think.

quote:

Should be, but you can also detect this from mousing over the taxes in Uppsala; it should say something like "+40% from trade zone" or similar.

quote:

Not that I'm aware of, apart from the obvious "giving them more places to build their trade posts".

quote:

I promise I tried to google merchant republic mechanics but couldn't find clear answers. Next playthrough will probably be as a doge just so I understand how this poo poo works.
Yeah, this thread and the Reddit will be much more help in that regard.

McGavin posted:

Isn't it in the bottom left with all the other map options?
Yeah, it's g or possibly u, I forget just which.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
The Pope called a crusade on my West African empire, and it failed. Since I had a 40k stack and a navy in the area, I went on a little punitive raid.

I'm glad I learned how raiding works.

Edit: holy poo poo that thumbnailed badly.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 1, 2017

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

It's this. It's a mix of pre-conclave education with the added focus benefit letting you steer kids down a hybrid route. It's how I'm able to churn out warrior accountants by setting my kids to stewardship focus and educating them under marshals.

RaW adds these back!

What does RaW stand for

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Raserys posted:

What does RaW stand for

(Hooni's) Rebels and Warmongers. Pretty sweet mod that alters combat and education and items and other poo poo too I'm sure. It's been discussed over the past few pages.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So I have a bug report, somehow I wound up as the leader of the Chosen of Perukas holy order, and being the leader of a holy order makes it so you can't arrange marriages. That is not the bug, the bug came from when I tried to expel them, I hoped if I expelled them I would give up being the leader. Instead of expelling the holy I expelled EVERY OTHER RULER and wound up with a personal demense of 60.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

metasynthetic posted:

If you're off invading Britain, I can recommend the titular duchy of Mann as a trade republic, little chance of it changing capital to a land zone and it's just one tiny county, safe as can be.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Yeah! I just became immortal. In the year 1343 so the game is just about 100 years from being over. At least it'll be an interesting 100 years!

Then I seduced the immortal mystic who gave me the quest and now we're immortal lovers :thumbsup:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 1, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

RagnarokZ posted:

If you're off invading Britain, I can recommend the titular duchy of Mann as a trade republic, little chance of it changing capital to a land zone and it's just one tiny county, safe as can be.

Well, the Isle of Man right now would be a bad idea, since it's already covered by Moray's trade zone. Maybe in a future playthrough, but not now. However, fun fact about merchant republics: They don't need to actually own land in their duchy, they just need to have a duchy. So you can absolutely give some mayor the county of Devon and the Duchy of Mann, and they'll happily start trading.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Make sure you have Internal King's Peace though. I once lost a pet republic with posts covering the entire Mediterranean because one rear end in a top hat duke decided to conquer Provence and ruin it all. :smith:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I stumbled on how to make a Theocracy as part of my empire, give a Godi a county title. I tend to make the Fylkirate's Holy Sites into theocracies. Is forming a Merchant house as easy as giving a Mayor a county?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

winterwerefox posted:

I stumbled on how to make a Theocracy as part of my empire, give a Godi a county title. I tend to make the Fylkirate's Holy Sites into theocracies. Is forming a Merchant house as easy as giving a Mayor a county?

For a Merchant Republic it's needs to be a duchy level title on the coast

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

RagnarokZ posted:

Yeah, if I'd known better at the time I'd have done exactly that. Oh well.

So I pressed a successful great holy war on France, was a little disappointed that I got the de jure kingdom of France, and not 'all of the King of France's poo poo.' So no Aquitaine. Lombardy hopped in the battle and France + him were roughly equal to me in troop counts and, surprisingly, troop quality. I guess the Lombards get some kind of hard rear end troops of their own? There was a single battle early on where I lost thousands of men - I was cocky, running into a river blocked county, but my troops absolutely stomped 1 : 1 fights before. Had to dip into my emergency merc fund to assure victory, and also got helped out by the Umayyads deciding to jump in with a claim on some county in Aquitaine.

So now I'm divvying up the many, many counties I just won, and came across this situation:

I guess Scotland invents cloning in this timeline too?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The complete lack of any societies except for the Satan one for pagans is really bumming me out.

Lucious
Apr 1, 2017

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1Cf3PpiPs

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My latest heir ascended, and just finished getting the succession crisis under control. I had just started a carousing party when I was kidnapped by an intrigue focus vassal. Then this happened:

So many laughs, such an excellent escape :sigh:

fake edit: just got my wife pregnant while kidnapped

real edit:

last edit: he ransomed me, I accepted, then imprisoned and executed him. How the gently caress am I considered a tyrant in this circumstance? I mean, an oathbreaker or something I would understand.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 2, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I have no idea how but a previous emperor of the HRE decided to become orthodox? I guess he had a greek wife and was just like "eh yeah whatever's good"

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Decided to give an Old Gods start a shot after everyone's been raving about this raiding thing.

Selected some backwater chief of two provinces in Scandanavia and started the game. I set up my ruler's marriage and got my council in order; all the usual pre-game stuff. Unpaused and immediately - literally immediately - had war declared on me by the chiefdom to the north using a subjugation CB. Beat them back in a month or two, then was immediately assassinated by the same guy to the north. No heir. Game over. Didn't last 6 months. Fun times.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Has anyone ever come across a bug where even if you change to a succession law other than Tanistry, your heir is still called "Tanist Bob" rather than "Prince Bob" or whatever? It's not a huge deal but a little annoying considering I changed to Primogeniture three hundred years ago.

Oh well. I suppose in Norman Francia the Emperor's oldest son is still called the Tanist out of tradition to the old Viking days. Like the Dauphin of France, but with beards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

metasynthetic posted:

So now I'm divvying up the many, many counties I just won, and came across this situation:

That happened to me in a Sigurdr Ring game. I don't know what triggered it, but I wound up with six super-generals all born on the same day with the same name. There were a fair few Torvald Torvaldsons in the next couple of generations, let me tell you.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm having a weird scripting problem that is driving me crazy, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

code:
	spawn_aztecs = {
		potential = {
			ai = no
			not = { has_global_flag = aztec_explorers }
		}
		allow = {
			ai = no
		}
		effect = {
			set_global_flag = demon_child_to_aztecs
			496 = { province_event = { id = SSI.1 } }
#			capital_scope = { province_event = { id = SSI.1 } }
#			c_byzantion = {
#				owner = {
#					capital_scope = {
#						province_event = { id = SSI.1 }
#					}
#				}
#			}
		}

I'm trying to create a simple little decision to cause the Aztecs to spawn on demand whenever I get bored in a game. I know I could just use the console, but I already have a giant decision file with a bunch of random stuff, in it, so I just added this to that. The problem is that the province event never fires. I've tried changing it to my capital_scope, c_byzantion, etc but nothing happens. Does anyone know why this really simple bit of code wouldn't be firing the start of the Sunset Invasion events?

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

binge crotching posted:

I'm having a weird scripting problem that is driving me crazy, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

code:
	spawn_aztecs = {
		potential = {
			ai = no
			not = { has_global_flag = aztec_explorers }
		}
		allow = {
			ai = no
		}
		effect = {
			set_global_flag = demon_child_to_aztecs
			496 = { province_event = { id = SSI.1 } }
#			capital_scope = { province_event = { id = SSI.1 } }
#			c_byzantion = {
#				owner = {
#					capital_scope = {
#						province_event = { id = SSI.1 }
#					}
#				}
#			}
		}

I'm trying to create a simple little decision to cause the Aztecs to spawn on demand whenever I get bored in a game. I know I could just use the console, but I already have a giant decision file with a bunch of random stuff, in it, so I just added this to that. The problem is that the province event never fires. I've tried changing it to my capital_scope, c_byzantion, etc but nothing happens. Does anyone know why this really simple bit of code wouldn't be firing the start of the Sunset Invasion events?

It probably requires a demon child flagged character to activate.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

binge crotching posted:

You don't meet requirements. SSI.1 has triggers set up to only fire in one of a small set of provinces, and to require a certain year or numbers of years played or both, and mustn't have the demon_child_to_aztecs flag set.

You could fire SoA.3080 for a random guy in your court, though, if you don't care who leads the aztecs.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

These guys are spawned by prepared invasions; that's why they all have holy warrior as a trait.

The name being the same is, probably not working as intended though.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Decided to give an Old Gods start a shot after everyone's been raving about this raiding thing.

Selected some backwater chief of two provinces in Scandanavia and started the game. I set up my ruler's marriage and got my council in order; all the usual pre-game stuff. Unpaused and immediately - literally immediately - had war declared on me by the chiefdom to the north using a subjugation CB. Beat them back in a month or two, then was immediately assassinated by the same guy to the north. No heir. Game over. Didn't last 6 months. Fun times.
The thing about pagans is, when it's good, it's good. When it's bad, it's at least usually very brief!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Has anyone ever come across a bug where even if you change to a succession law other than Tanistry, your heir is still called "Tanist Bob" rather than "Prince Bob" or whatever? It's not a huge deal but a little annoying considering I changed to Primogeniture three hundred years ago.

Oh well. I suppose in Norman Francia the Emperor's oldest son is still called the Tanist out of tradition to the old Viking days. Like the Dauphin of France, but with beards.
Odd. And you're Norman and therefore not Celtic culture group and shouldn't have it as a title anyway due to cultural shenanigans.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The complete lack of any societies except for the Satan one for pagans is really bumming me out.
Same.

Also man, I cannot wait for the secret religion rework because boy oh boy is it bad now. At the very least, your kids should be automatically your secret religion and then you have to induct them: having it be multiple events that maybe or may not work in a very strict time frame is, pretty terrible design.

Kids not inheriting secret religions is also a leading contributor to them losing steam very rapidly. I also don't get how the heck my idiots keep failing pretending to be muslims. You're both people of the book! You have extremely similar views on jurisprudence, dietary restrictions and poo poo! It's not like they're waving a pork sausage in your face going "Eat this to prove your christianity!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's not like they're waving a pork sausage in your face going "Eat this to prove your christianity!"

This actually did happen.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

This actually did happen.
I do actually remember something similar from famous American documentary Hebrew Hammer involving the mixing of milk products and meat too, come to think of it...

But yeah, there's also the problem that when you die your heir often doesn't inherit the order and if you press a regular independence revolt before coming out, the society doesn't.

There's so many flaws with the actual execution on so many levels, but drat if it isn't a cool system.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm currently doing an Otuken run and as soon as I got a youngish Khagan and fulfilled the requirements I took the decision to make the mongol empire and all that. So now Ghengis Khan is gay lol.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Kids not inheriting secret religions is also a leading contributor to them losing steam very rapidly. I also don't get how the heck my idiots keep failing pretending to be muslims. You're both people of the book! You have extremely similar views on jurisprudence, dietary restrictions and poo poo! It's not like they're waving a pork sausage in your face going "Eat this to prove your christianity!"

Muslims have it easy too, if it's a life/death situation they can eat pork no problems.

As long as they don't enjoy it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I think it makes sense that kids wouldn't be automatically inducted.

Kids aren't known for being subtle. It would be really awkward at a banquet when your newly converted totally not secret Muslim family is feasting with your Christian liege lord and/or chaplain and your kid starts asking why you aren't doing your daily prayers today and that they can't eat pork because Allah forbids it.

You wait for them to be old enough to understand secret/not-secret and sort of what you are talking about.

If you die while they are super young, why wouldn't they just assume you were a good Christian, like everybody tells you they are. It's not like kids are psychic.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I shamelessly savescum until my heir gets the secret trait. Not while they're a kid, mind you, but once their grown up, I'll fuckin' savescum the hell out of it until they come around. They don't even need to join the secret cult, just have the trait.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
2.7.1 patch notes are up: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-48-2-7-1-patch-notes.1008864/

Monastics buffed, Satanists nerfed, Hermetic ingredients given a use, factions overhauled. All good stuff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like that AI won't keep pushing elective factions unless the council is fully empowered. It was weirdly ahistorical how the Byzantines and the French and basically anyone else big and not Muslim would end up as elective monarchies within 50 years of the start of the game.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Some that stuck out to/amused me:

quote:

- When incapable and asking for help to commit suicide, an ambitious heir is more likely to say 'Yes'
- When you can rank up in your society you now get a separate alert that takes you to the Society screen, rather than being part of the "important decision" alert and taking you to the Intrigue screen
- Barbarossa now has a magnificent red beard
- Added homosexual trait to Hadrian
- The Weaponsmith and the Goldsmith will no longer be killed if they become landed
- Courtiers and vassal commanders can now acquire the various crusade traits again
- You can now find the Holy Grail with unrestricted supernatural events on
- Unified the decision and event conditions for Introduce Heir to Realm, they should now be the same
- Fixed patricians that somehow end up without a liege keeping their patrician title and becoming immortal
- Immortal characters should no longer die when making love too fiercely with their spouse
- Fixed Aztec horse archers being invisible
- Due to a lack of contribution, blind characters can no longer host or participate in Stargazing

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

quote:

- Added homosexual trait to Hadrian

- Modified Hadrian and Julian to have beards

The most important fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
looks like a good patch. if it's not in this one, they should add a button to ask all your vassals/allies attach to your army.

• Locked thread