Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pochoclo posted:

The Falklands war was against a third-world military dictatorship with a devastated economy, losing the support of its people fast, with obsolete equipment, a badly trained army composed mostly of scared teenagers, drunk idiot generals, and boy I could keep going for days. The Argentinian military junta was expecting Britain not to intervene. That was the entirety of their plan. They knew that it was a major investment of time and money to go all the way across the world to defend them, and they were hoping Thatcher would just let it go. She didn't and the rest is history.

But lol if you think going against the EU will be anywhere near the same.

We had nukes then and we have them now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
let's nuke madrid so they keep their swarthy mediterranean hands off ARE ROCK

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I still find feet and inches useful, but everything else can gently caress off, while cups work just fine for cooking. The only reason I still weigh myself in stone is because when telling people how much I weigh in kilos I might as well be talking in moonspeak.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

So does France.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

Both systems have this, and metric has the advantage of not getting extremely complicated the moment you move out of the "one ounce to one pound" scale.
There's no easy 1/4 type stuff in Metric, it's all thousandths of something else. Very useful for large scale projects, less good for the domestic kitchen. I don't think anyone much uses cubits and we don't learn them in school or owt.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

jBrereton posted:

There's no easy 1/4 type stuff in Metric, it's all thousandths of something else. Very useful for large scale projects, less good for the domestic kitchen. I don't think anyone much uses cubits and we don't learn them in school or owt.

Or just use cups. Or one of the many extremely cheap digital scales that all measure down to the gram and a bit of quick mental arithmetic. Round up or down by five grams if you have to. Anything except forcing some garbage measurement system on our society.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
kids these days dont even learn how many hogsheads there are to a perch its a disgrace. barmy brussels bureaucrats stopped us from using the quarter days and everything but now we're taking our cuntryBACK

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

I've always used feet/inches for height and stone/pounds for weight because that's what seems to be common. Metric is better and actually makes sense intuitively.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Imperial measurements are bad for everything that doesn't involve cooking, height, weight, driving, milk, time, and probably space too.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

kids these days dont even learn how many hogsheads there are to a perch its a disgrace. barmy brussels bureaucrats stopped us from using the quarter days and everything but now we're taking our cuntryBACK
Bring back national service and spend the first month teaching the slackjawed phone watchers of today about HARD WORK and how many pecks there are in a bushel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A metric cup is 250mL which is 1/4 of a litre. There are 16* tablespoons in a cup so 4 tbsp is 1/4 of a cup.

* 16 23 international tablespoons of 15 ml each if you're being super accurate, but close enough for cookery. Or 12.5 Australian tablespoons but nobody uses those except Australians.

It's not official SI stuff but neither is Celsius or km/h and people still use those.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Imagine if by the end of the year we were at war with Spain. Honestly, think about it for a bit.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

happyhippy posted:

Don't understand the first part about 'work related activities'.
Is this meaning the dole is getting cut for all future new applicants?

People in the Work Related Activities Group are expected to be doing something to seek work, or improve their mental or physical condition such that they could eventually seek work. I don't know the qualifying criteria, but it seems to be applied at random. People on WRAG suffer through a lot more check-ins, and they try to push them into doing a lot of job skills courses, charity work, or other voluntary-but-not-really things. I know of someone who was referred to a non-therapist for breathing exercises, massage, and lovely, unlicensed therapy, with the cheery reminder that she'd be cut off for not attending.

Its technically less pressure than being on JSA, but still a lot of unnecessary stress. Also, like with anything dole related, how you're treated depends on the advisor lottery.

So, good job to the DWP for taking money away from them. This is definitely not an attack on the vulnerable, and will absolutely make Britain a better place to live, somehow, probably, for sure.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Imperial measurements are typically in base 12, which is easy to divide by a half, a third, a quarter, a sixth. Metric multiplies consistently.

When everyone was a farmer or doing manual labour, quick divisions were more useful. Now that most people aren't, quick multiplications and international standards are more useful. It's two different uses. Everyone throwing a weirdly passionate strop about imperial measurements are acting like the people who invented them didn't have any common sense or logical backing behind doing it the way they did.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Hoops posted:

Imagine if by the end of the year we were at war with Spain. Honestly, think about it for a bit.

Doesn't bode well for a citizen of Spain like me so I hope not. I mean even though I'd leave faster than you can blink I imagine they'd seize my bank account or something which would be a huge bummer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hoops posted:

They will force us to use their funny foreign playing cards as part of the peace settlement.

Cups for everyone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the worst thing about american recipes is when they measure things in volume using cups thjat have absolutely no reason for it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It means you can cook without scales tho.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

We're getting our blue passports back. At a cost of £500m pounds.

To be fair they are going to have to be replaced in any case because making new ones with 'European Union' on them in two years' time is a bit of a non-starter. Changing the colour at the same time isn't going to make much of a material or monetary difference except that it appeals to Tory coffin dodgers.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

Lol if you think attacking a NATO member would go well for us in any way shape or form :sun:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hoops posted:

We should start encouraging Nigel Farage to lead from the front line then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

It means you can cook without scales tho.

Is using scales really that much of a hardship?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Lol if you think attacking a NATO member would go well for us in any way shape or form :sun:

TBF, the status quo is Gibraltar is British, so it would be kind of.unusually stupid even for a Tory to attack first. Unless they want to expand it or something.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

We bake using digital scales and solely metric measurements, occasionally using cups for baking recipes my wife gets from Pinterest. I guess there's some aesthetic appeal in having recipes that look like nice simple ratios but grams are not hard to work with and are hardly impossible to divide down with either.

Can we at least be glad that no one is calling for a return to pre-decimalised currency? Even the Americans aren't that stupid.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

You know what, I don't know which of you are trolling (hopefully most of you) but I'm done arguing. Just go to http://www.metric.org.uk/ and go through all the items if you're actually serious about imperial.

Lmao nice parting shot.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Kegluneq posted:

Can we at least be glad that no one is calling for a return to pre-decimalised currency? Even the Americans aren't that stupid.

Actually I think going back to shillings and guineas is not good enough. I propose we go back to good old Roman Empire times and bring back the denarius. Angles, Saxons and Normans hosed everything up for the good ol' honest romano-briton.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Hey guys how about we just keep the current system of metric having official priority but still recognising that lots of people might still use imperial for things like food and speeds as that's what they can mentally associate with.

This is one of UKMT's more tedious derails. Bring back spag bol chat.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

No point, we're going back to pre-currency barter so fast there'll be no chance to use it.

Mentioning Americans - you know who else has dark blue passports?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think we should do away with imperial because old people can gently caress off

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ewan posted:

Hey guys how about we just keep the current system of metric having official priority but still recognising that lots of people might still use imperial for things like food and speeds as that's what they can mentally associate with.

This is one of UKMT's more tedious derails. Bring back spag bol chat.

Pissflaps never posted the recipe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Is using scales really that much of a hardship?
Not everyone has them and Americans don't even have copper coins that are exact fractions of an ounce to improvise them.

Cheap digital scales are pretty ubiquitous now though.

EmptyVessel posted:

Mentioning Americans - you know who else has dark blue passports?
North Korea, Somalia, and South Sudan?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

North Korea, Somalia, and South Sudan?

With them and the US we'll be part of a really great club.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If people ask me for my measurements its easier to say "5'4" or "17 stone" or "3 inches" than their metric equivalents. It's not about being right or wrong It's just what you're used to.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Pochoclo where are you from again?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

If military action is required to defend Gibraltar then it would be Spain who is the belligerent party.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

If people ask me for my measurements its easier to say "5'4" or "17 stone" or "3 inches" than their metric equivalents. It's not about being right or wrong It's just what you're used to.

To absolutely no-one's surprise.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

To absolutely no-one's surprise.
You ruined it big man

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I prefer carbonara or amatriciana, or just pesto. Puttanesca is also pretty good if a bit salty.

What I really want is some gnocchi though - they haven't stocked gnocchi at my local M&S for quite some time now, and I haven't seen fresh pasta shops around (which are quite ubiquitous back in Arg), which is a shame

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jBrereton posted:

I'm saying if there's a preexisting system which has neat 1:4 divisions (that are still referenced by most measuring jugs/scales/recipe books!), why kludge in a new one? Very happy to use metric for most stuff, but there are things imperial is better for.

4oz is not a naturally obvious 1:4 division of 1lb. It requires that you know a pound is 16 ounces. The metric system, meanwhile, has no such requirement when it comes to knowing that 250g is a 1:4 division of 1000g.

By the by and since nobody answered, there's 112lb in a hundredweight. This is for the same reason as the baker's dozen - because giving short weight used to be a major offence, you'd throw in a bit on top to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

But without imperial measurements how will we restore the empire?!

• Locked thread