Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The only realistic thing about the show is everyone in the company hating QA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
S2 Plot Threads:

Robot Revolution

Robot Sapience AI Coding in Dolores's Dad's head

Maeve's daughter

Elsie & Security Man

Ghost Nation

Samurai World

Anything else?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Continuous Integration and Deployment Procedures revisited and improved

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

S2 Plot Threads:

Robot Revolution

Maeve's daughter

Elsie & Security Man

Ghost Nation

Samurai World

Anything else?

The outside world

Why the company wants the technology

Who was Maeve supposed to meet in the outside world

What happens to Dolores Father, whom they were trying to steal in the chaos? (ED: I know you mentioned him but I am specifically interested in if he is taken out of the park before poo poo hits the fan, and where he goes if he is extracted).

etalian posted:

QA being a bunch of assholes loving poo poo up isn't TOO unrealistic, though, too.

That said even the worst of QA wouldn't gently caress something in an office made of glass. I really like their set design but I don't think the people who wrote the script realized those scenes would be "everyone on the floor can see each other."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tech support switches to a new ticketing system and the complaints involved.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Tech support switches to a new ticketing system and the complaints involved.

I still want to see MMO griefers in Westworld, but not likely now.

You know, the kinds of people who kite Ghost Nation back to town or stick dynamite to the prospector and send him into a building. That sort of thing.

etalian posted:

Honestly the most unrealistic thing about the show is that they are using robots. VR is way tackier so I get why they used robots, plus then there would be no way for them to do anything really dangerous. But everything about Westworld screams "this would be far more practical and likely if it were taking place in a virtual world and not a real one."

There's a reason that the writing staff was literally mandated to play hundreds of hours of GTA Online. That said the idea of the AI in a game like that getting sentience is horrifying. We were running people down on motorcycles while they screamed, then setting their corpses on fire to steal firetrucks a few nights ago, and I couldn't help but think of Westworld for a moment.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 2, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

my bony fealty posted:

Why is it doubtful? Not arguing with you, I really wanna know if there's evidence that the indigenous religion 'evolved' or if it's more like a little joke for the humans. The religion was used pretty well for thematic effect (and paid off really well via Hector) but, plot-wise, I feel like not much was explained about it and it didn't go anywhere important. Would be interesting to explore in season 2, maybe the Ghost Nation finds out their gods are fake and have to deal with it (and also they've captured one, for good effect).

Honestly that make the most sense as Easter eggs, but I don't know if that was the intent.

Mostly unrelated, out here in LA, there's this thing where people hang stuffed animals from power lines, or throw shoes over them. Sometimes it's a drug deal, sometimes it's a crazy ice cream woman, but a lot of the time.. it's neither and it's just freaky to see some poor stuffed bunny hanging by the neck over a red light. I can't help but think of them as real world Easter eggs at this point. I feel like I should get an achievement for every 50 I find.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly that make the most sense as Easter eggs, but I don't know if that was the intent.

Mostly unrelated, out here in LA, there's this thing where people hang stuffed animals from power lines, or throw shoes over them. Sometimes it's a drug deal, sometimes it's a crazy ice cream woman, but a lot of the time.. it's neither and it's just freaky to see some poor stuffed bunny hanging by the neck over a red light. I can't help but think of them as real world Easter eggs at this point. I feel like I should get an achievement for every 50 I find.

This happens everywhere.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

The outside world

Why the company wants the technology

Who was Maeve supposed to meet in the outside world

What happens to Dolores Father, whom they were trying to steal in the chaos? (ED: I know you mentioned him but I am specifically interested in if he is taken out of the park before poo poo hits the fan, and where he goes if he is extracted).

QA being a bunch of assholes loving poo poo up isn't TOO unrealistic, though, too.

That said even the worst of QA wouldn't gently caress something in an office made of glass. I really like their set design but I don't think the people who wrote the script realized those scenes would be "everyone on the floor can see each other."

He's with the rest of the zombie ones murdering everyone. When the writer guy went to sneak him onto a train they were all already gone.

Also, nobody ever mentioned taking his bomb out. If he got onto one of the trains, would he just blow up the entire train?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they take out the bomb when they are decommissioned or they already took it out when prepping him to be smuggled out.

Also I assumed the "bomb" was just to disable the host and not harm people nearby.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

S2 Plot Threads:

Robot Revolution

Maeve's daughter

Elsie & Security Man

Ghost Nation

Samurai World

Anything else?

Keep in mind though that there is going to possibly be a big time jump from the end of the last scene, and they also said that the first season with Ford was more a prequel that was setting up the larger plot and story. So we may not get into much detail or resolution on some of those.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Maybe they take out the bomb when they are decommissioned or they already took it out when prepping him to be smuggled out.

Also I assumed the "bomb" was just to disable the host and not harm people nearby.

Yeah, the bomb is probably just so you can't have a working host outside of the park.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MAeve is the only one that can travel outside the park and not blow currently aint she?

Wonder if she'll become some sort of diplomat or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

KoRMaK posted:

MAeve is the only one that can travel outside the park and not blow currently aint she?

Wonder if she'll become some sort of diplomat or something.

We don't actually know if she can or can't.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Colonial Air Force posted:

We don't actually know if she can or can't.

When she burned herself with Hector, she needed new skin and Felix and Sylvester removed the spine "bomb" during her rebuild.

Of course, she could still shut down automatically or something when leaving.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

If anything I think it only further exemplifies that TV is getting too good to be confined to a required number of episodes per season. I think this could have been about 8 episodes. Stranger Things comes to mind, it was the perfect length at 8 episodes.

Buried at the bottom of a page. Sad!

HBO is much better about this than any other American network. 10 episodes for HBO, versus 20-ish for network tv. Prestige cable does 13. I think for a British season, you get 6 episodes or so. We're meeting in the middle.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That British number is not strictly true. Series, as we call them, run as long they need to. Take Morse/Lewis/Endeavour they were/are generally 4 x 90 minute, Luthor is 4 x 60m. There is generally zero filler, due to budget restrictions.

Where is it true is for comedy shows, where series are usually 6 episodes long, to preserve the quality of the jokes according to Rob Grant and Doug Naylor.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral posted:

That British number is not strictly true. Series, as we call them, run as long they need to. Take Morse/Lewis/Endeavour they were/are generally 4 x 90 minute, Luthor is 4 x 60m. There is generally zero filler, due to budget restrictions.

Where is it true is for comedy shows, where series are usually 6 episodes long, to preserve the quality of the jokes according to Rob Grant and Doug Naylor.

I like the Wallander run that had like 3 2+ hour episodes each series.

I still haven't made it all the way through that show. I can only watch one episode every few months. They're really dark and some of them are extremely emotional.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I almost wonder if this would have been better viewed as 5 2 hour blocks instead of 10 1 hour blocks.

I pretty much did this, after it was already finished and didn't hear anything about it besides the premise and some "Wow this is good!" and "WW's Latest twist is crazy!" headlines on onion AV. Really really enjoyed it. The wife hates watching things week to week and WW is one of the times I've been really glad about it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just finished binge-watching this over the weekend, holy poo poo.

Though I think the thing that actually blew my mind the most was when I suddenly realized that William is one of the McPoyle brothers.

And I recognized Armistice for somewhere, but I couldn't figure out where, it took me ages to realize she had a tiny role in one of the the terrible BBC Discworld adaptations as Sgt. Angua.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol, yeah as much as I love this show I probably would have loved it like 15% more if I wasn't constantly thinking "FORK STAB!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm glad to see people from Scandinavian TV besides just Mads Mikkelson getting work in hollywood though. Sidse Knudsen was really good in Borgen. She's like a Danish Mary McDonnell.

This show actually reminds me a lot of BSG, except it seems like the writers actually have a plan (fingers crossed) and are less random with their symbolism.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jealous Cow posted:

I like the Wallander run that had like 3 2+ hour episodes each series.

I still haven't made it all the way through that show. I can only watch one episode every few months. They're really dark and some of them are extremely emotional.

It's funny, I feel the same way about Black Mirror. Some shows you just can't binge.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

This happens everywhere.

I have never seen this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I have never seen this.

Congrats, you don't live in a lovely area.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just wanna say the score for this show is really good. Ramin Djawadi knocked it out of the park.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

I just wanna say the score for this show is really good. Ramin Djawadi knocked it out of the park.

I still absolutely love the fact that the guy who made one of my favorite all time video game soundtracks for System Shock 2 is now HBO's big go-to music guy who freaking scored the Game of Thrones theme, which is one of those things that's still going to be played 30 years from now in the vein of stuff like the Star Wars theme.

I should have known, too, because the cyberpunk tracks in the soundtrack have clear overtones of his work with Looking Glass. And I'm so cool with that.

ED: gently caress it, if they ever need a singular voice of the mad AI God on Westworld, by all means, he needs to call his old co-worker Terri Brosius up and have her just straight up do the SHODAN voice. I think even the other hosts would poo poo their pants. "Look at you insects, panting and sweating as you run through my deserts."

Entropic posted:

Though I think the thing that actually blew my mind the most was when I suddenly realized that William is one of the McPoyle brothers.

It's kind of ironic, the whole cast of Sunny has done fairly well with comedy movies and stuff, but McPoyle is the one to emerge with a serious acting career. I wouldn't have called it, but I'm never unhappy to see him cast.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 21, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's kind of ironic, the whole cast of Sunny has done fairly well with comedy movies and stuff, but McPoyle is the one to emerge with a serious acting career. I wouldn't have called it, but I'm never unhappy to see him cast.

It probably helped that he started in serious roles. It's Always Sunny was his first real comedy.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Entropic posted:

Ramin Djawadi knocked it out of the park.

Ha!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I've shown this to two different friends. In the first episode there is a shot that transitions from an aerial shot of the train to the projection map of the park in the command center, the first time you see it.

Both of my friends thought that this meant that that was the actual park and the guests are shrunken and placed into it.

So I've come to the conclusion that... my friends are terrible at watching stuff.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What is this!? A futuristic old west full immersion simulator FOR ANTS!?!??!?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You made the whole park out of popsicle sticks and elmers glue, you idiot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Sepinwall was required reading for me during Mad Men, earlier seasons of GoT, and Breaking Bad. Lately he seems almost checked out -- not the usual level of analysis and thought. Particularly noticeable for Westworld and The OA, which he hated.

For real. His reviews were terrible, so I stopped reading them. (sadly, not after being spoiled to the two different timelines... I was kind of figuring it out, but I thought that they were just drawing parallels between two different characters)

I've still been reading Sepinwall's write ups for Better Call Saul, but that's over I'm done with him.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Well he nailed Iron Fist.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

S2 Plot Threads:

Robot Revolution

Maeve's daughter

Elsie & Security Man

Ghost Nation

Samurai World

Anything else?

I'm actually hoping Season 2 is completely different from Season 1, and takes place in feudal Japan rather than a wild west setting. And then Season 3 is totally different too, etc. etc.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What about Medieval World and Romeworld?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

enraged_camel posted:

I'm actually hoping Season 2 is completely different from Season 1, and takes place in feudal Japan rather than a wild west setting. And then Season 3 is totally different too, etc. etc.

I'm curious if Samurai World will be a distinct season and if they will incorporate a new one in each season (ala The Wire and adding a new facet of Baltimore each season) or if they will only add a snippet once in awhile to demonstrate both the multitude of experiences available, and the uniqueness of the events in Westworld. I almost feel like incorporating new worlds would dilute the story, since there is no character interaction beyond "they are all robots" with no shared history or experiences. Unless the events in Westworld aren't unique, I guess.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So I've shown this to two different friends. In the first episode there is a shot that transitions from an aerial shot of the train to the projection map of the park in the command center, the first time you see it.

Both of my friends thought that this meant that that was the actual park and the guests are shrunken and placed into it.

So I've come to the conclusion that... my friends are terrible at watching stuff.

To be fair, I also went with that theory for about 5 minutes.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

To be fair, I also went with that theory for about 5 minutes.

The transition shot from the train to the map actually may not have been the best decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also they were cagey all season about where the show took place for whatever reason. It could have been in a miniature shrunken world, or a VR sim, or anything. We had no idea what the limits were of the tech, and the location has become one of the central mysteries. Even after the season there's still theories that the park is in the American West, a tropical island that's been re-engineered, a space station, or another planet.

• Locked thread