Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

What's wrong with box springs?

Absolutely nothing. They're easier when moving etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Inspector 34 posted:

Serious question, did box springs ever provide anything besides being a platform for your mattress?

With older mattresses, having a box spring would reduce overall wear, help the springs wear more evenly, improve shock absorption, and give the mattress (and you) better support than just putting it on a flat surface. They were meant for old school "two-sided" mattresses, that you would have to flip once in a while to make sure the springs wear evenly.

Modern "one-sided" mattresses (built after THE YEAR 2000) don't need box springs, because they have supportive foundations built-in. Nowadays, box springs are pretty much only used for height.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

Serious question, did box springs ever provide anything besides being a platform for your mattress?

I guess this is some American/Anglo thing again because in most cases, the box spring is the mattress :confused: You just have a thin mattress pad on top of it so that you can use sheets.

*) At least that's what Google translate tells me they're called.

e: I mean you'd have a mattress pad on top of a regular spring mattress anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I guess this is some American/Anglo thing again because in most cases, the box spring is the mattress :confused: You just have a thin mattress pad on top of it so that you can use sheets.

*) At least that's what Google translate tells me they're called.

e: I mean you'd have a mattress pad on top of a regular spring mattress anyway.

To answer my own question after a bit of research, it is an American thing where you have the box spring and then another spring mattress on top of it. Here that's apparently called a yankee bed :newlol:

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

Pre-ordered an Orchid Grey S8+. There are pictures of it all over the internet if you want to look at it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why not wait a few weeks to see if they explode first

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Where is your sense of adventure?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Jerry Cotton posted:

To answer my own question after a bit of research, it is an American thing where you have the box spring and then another spring mattress on top of it. Here that's apparently called a yankee bed :newlol:

North American thing you mean, we do it here in Canada too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
They are also designed to help with air circulation so you sleep cooler.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

They are also designed to help with air circulation so you sleep cooler.

Air circulation through the mattress? Really?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah that part isn't a real thing. Its for height and support.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
A lunch break trip to goodwill ended up being a good choice:

Her name is Reba the All-Consuming, and I'm hoping she works or I'll have to return her, gotta buy some d-batteries when I get off work.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Her name is Reba the All-Consuming, and I'm hoping she works or I'll have to return her, gotta buy some d-batteries when I get off work.

Don't return poo poo like that just because it doesn't work. Open it up and see why. Even if you don't know electronics or have a voltmeter to check the components, it could be something as simple as a lead from the battery compartment having come loose or maybe corroded terminals or something. I just got a pretty decent portable shortwave cheap for that last reason.

Also, I never find anything good at my local thrifts :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't think you can return stuff to goodwill

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm going to buy some stock in Duracell now. :v:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ReidRansom posted:

Don't return poo poo like that just because it doesn't work. Open it up and see why. Even if you don't know electronics or have a voltmeter to check the components, it could be something as simple as a lead from the battery compartment having come loose or maybe corroded terminals or something. I just got a pretty decent portable shortwave cheap for that last reason.

Truth right here. My old roommate picked up an amplifier for $5 because the remote control didn't work. Turns out someone over tightened a screw on the board with the IR receiver and cracked the board. I soldered on two wires to bridge the contacts across the crack and it was as good as new.

Also, returning stuff to a thrift store is ridiculous. Who does that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think you can return stuff to goodwill

You can, but they don't give you money back. You don't have the junk any more, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SpartanIV posted:

Truth right here. My old roommate picked up an amplifier for $5 because the remote control didn't work. Turns out someone over tightened a screw on the board with the IR receiver and cracked the board. I soldered on two wires to bridge the contacts across the crack and it was as good as new.

Also, returning stuff to a thrift store is ridiculous. Who does that?

My wife returned some kid's dvd she bought last week because we already had them. They are very forgiving with their return policy.

Dealing with meltdows when netflix freezes up makes it worth it to scour there DVD section from time to time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
They told me I could return it within the week for store credit. I'm not really a tinkerer tbh!

Also I got a Tommy Bahama shirt

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Wash/dry clean every clothing item you get from their store twice. They all have moths/bugs in em

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ammanas posted:

Wash/dry clean every clothing item you get from their store twice. They all have moths/bugs in em

Duh

Also the boom box works!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

treiz01 posted:

North American thing you mean, we do it here in Canada too.

Well I'm not going to list all the states in the union.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Jerry Cotton posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell before I recognize Missoura!

Also here is a thing I bought. God bless store-relocation sales, they took $100 off the price for me. It's a pretty nice bike part.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Apr 2, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Scrub some of that gunk off and it might be a decent cymbal underneath!

(I bet that has some sweet tone, my drummer is trying out some new cymbals and it's fun to listen)

I gave more money to iRacing because Dirt got released this week and it's rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltboE-WP5IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq0ciCSbKk

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Apr 2, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Some aftershave.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

The Science Goy posted:

Scrub some of that gunk off and it might be a decent cymbal underneath!

(I bet that has some sweet tone, my drummer is trying out some new cymbals and it's fun to listen)

I'm not 100 percent sure if you're kidding or not, but it's a Sabian "Big & Ugly" series - all the cymbals in the line are deliberately heavily weathered and beaten-up looking. Sounds awesome though!

Next up: Vanguard hats and a Vanguard crash. :homebrew:

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Apr 2, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

strangemusic posted:

I'm not 100 percent sure if you're kidding or not, but it's a Sabian "Big & Ugly" series - all the cymbals in the line are deliberately heavily weathered and beaten-up looking. Sounds awesome though!

Next up: Vanguard hats and a Vanguard crash. :homebrew:

Sarcasm for the first part. Does that treatment give them a darker tone or anything?

My drummer has been messing with a Zildjian Trashformer. Stacked with a small splash, both upside down, it's got a really cool dirty sound with quick decay.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

The Science Goy posted:

Sarcasm for the first part. Does that treatment give them a darker tone or anything?

My drummer has been messing with a Zildjian Trashformer. Stacked with a small splash, both upside down, it's got a really cool dirty sound with quick decay.

I knew it! That'll teach me to read posts before I've had coffee.

Yeah stacks are awesome. I may go back to the same sale, as pretty much all they have left are little micro chinas and splashes and really cheap stuff - might be nice to mess around with some of those for making trash hits.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Please don't confuse us with the United States of Amerikkkunts

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Bape Culture posted:

Some aftershave.

Is this a purchase you made with... eyes wide open?

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

Some aftershave.

Good choice. Wife bought me their Green Irish Tweed a few Christmases ago. Creed make some awesome fragrances.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Ordered a Bluetooth cassette adapter for my boombox. Making mix tapes is way easier now!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ordered a Bluetooth cassette adapter for my boombox. Making mix tapes is way easier now!

drat, that's a clever idea.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Doxxed ya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg25Tzx5HkA

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
50 bucks on my travel pass

living the highlife

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

This is weirdly fascinating to watch tbh

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

This is weirdly fascinating to watch tbh

I follow this one guy on YouTube who's into tape decks and stereos in a hope he'll post more. This car head unit is fucken sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0l7dzB0y0

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Megabound posted:

I follow this one guy on YouTube who's into tape decks and stereos in a hope he'll post more. This car head unit is fucken sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0l7dzB0y0

As someone that also had an E39 with a cassette deck (although factory), that is loving rad.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a ton of gasoline and went on a lot of motorcycle rides the last 30~ days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

ReidRansom posted:

Goodwill has been taking anything remotely worth buying and instead of selling it for cheap in their stores they sell it on their own ebay type site. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

Most of the non-clothing stuff in the stores now are because their people deem it not really of value.