Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MononcQc posted:

the implication that you're not competent if your talk or the talks you attend have not reached level 3 of arbitrary groupings established by the organizers.

also that chart is almost entirely haskell- or at least ml-centric. the lisp and erlang families use largely different concepts i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i find the beginner/competent grading system far less offensive than the one based on more recent pokemon or whatever

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MononcQc posted:

the implication that you're not competent if your talk or the talks you attend have not reached level 3 of arbitrary groupings established by the organizers.

it's a great way to perpetuate functional programming as a hole (edit: this typo is accidental but imma gonna keep it) disappearing up its own rear end. it's stuff like that that demonstrates an unwillingness to ever think about accessibility, and rather just gate it behind 'oh you're just not competent yet :smug: '.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm an ot3 functional programmer, working on ot4

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I emerged from the monad mines a few months ago but I don't talk about my experiences down there

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

NihilCredo posted:

also that chart is almost entirely haskell- or at least ml-centric. the lisp and erlang families use largely different concepts i think

yeah. it's less about functional programming as a whole concept, and more about a specific subset, namely the strongly typed, very academic brand of functional programming where runtime errors are considered an affront, therefore the constraints of the programming language are of constant concern. not all functional programs work like this.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

MononcQc posted:

yeah, competent/proficient should be replaced with intermediate/advanced but otherwise it's fine

i think they did this specifically to encourage people who have never tried functional programming to come to the conf but i might be misremembering

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 2, 2017

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pie Colony posted:

have you ever tried to analyze the performance of a haskell program?

just count the cycles

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is it just me or is github bad

im lookin at a defunct repository. there are pull requests against it that i would like to use. so i fork the repository. now how do i go apply its pull requests to my fork? there seems to be no way of doing this that isnt a clusterfuck

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

im lookin at a defunct repository. there are pull requests against it that i would like to use. so i fork the repository. now how do i go apply its pull requests to my fork? there seems to be no way of doing this that isnt a clusterfuck

so if the original is abandoned/lib and the pull request is from contrib/lib, I think you can create a pull request with contrib/lib as the source and bloody/lib as the destination.

not saying this is good or intuitive or anything, but I think it works

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MononcQc posted:

just replace that chart with one of those expanding brain memes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

terrible programmers: Operating Monad 3

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Luigi Thirty posted:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Luigi Thirty posted:

bingo

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I've spent like a day trying to figure out why gen_statem was throwing a poo poo fit over my use of repeat_state as specified in the docs.

I decide to look at the source on my machine and it's just not there. welp.

never use new features I guess. :smith:

guess I'll have to build erlang myself to have nice things. homebrew on OS X is apparently the worst.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

leper khan posted:

I've spent like a day trying to figure out why gen_statem was throwing a poo poo fit over my use of repeat_state as specified in the docs.

guess I'll have to build erlang myself to have nice things. homebrew on OS X is apparently the worst.

what's the difference between gen_statem and gen_fsm?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

leper khan posted:

I use either kerl or erln8 since they allow to easily run multiple versions of the VM. The first step prior to either is to update the default openssl though:

$ brew update
$ brew upgrade openssl
$ ls /usr/local/Cellar/openssl
<list of versions>

Note down the path of the newest OpenSSL version.

-------

If you use kerl:

$ curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kerl/kerl/master/kerl
$ chmod a+x kerl

And drop it in your `$PATH`. You can make it fetch the list of available releases with:

$ kerl update releases
$ kerl list releases

you may export a flag with your common options to be reused in all builds:

$ export KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="--with-ssl=$PATH_TO_SSL --enable-hipe --enable-kernel-poll"
$ kerl build <Erlang/OTP release> <LocalName>

The command may look like kerl build 19.3 19.3

You can switch commands by just placing different releases in your path, but a better way is to pick an install location for Erlang releases and install them there:

$ kerl install 19.3 /path/to/install/dir
$ kerl list installations

'$ . /path/to/install/dir/activate' will backup your $PATH, prepend it with the installation's bin/ directory. Thus it's only valid for the current shell session, and until you
activate another installation or call kerl_deactivate from the same directory.

----

Erln8 is possibly nicer for a bunch of tasks, since it allows a per-directory override ('erln8 use <version>' drops a file on disk the tool will auto-read to find what to run, good if you maintain many projects with many versions):

Erln8 has two versions: an old one that works well, and a new one that does not and was an experiment by the author to write D code. Use the first version.

Install `erln8` with `brew`:

$ brew install https://raw.github.com/metadave/homebrew/erln8/Library/Formula/erln8.rb

Initialize it:

$ erln8 --init
$ erln8 --clone default

This will create a directory at `~/.erln8.d/` with a config file in it ( ~/.erln8.d/config ), and fetch the source repository for Erlang that erln8 will use to build various versions.

Edit the config file so it looks a bit like the following snippet, ignoring the fields that are not mentioned otherwise:

code:
[Erln8]
default_config=default

[Configs]
default=--with-ssl=$PATH_TO_SSL --enable-hipe --enable-kernel-poll
$PATH_TO_SSL must be the literal path as the config file won't interpret env vars

Build your copy of Erlang:

$ erln8 --buildable
<list of versions>
$ erln8 --build <Erlang/OTP release> <LocalName>

This will build and make the release available. You can make any release the system default by editing the system_default=LOCAL_NAME value in the [Erln8] section of the config

------

If you want wx support, you'll need to do:

$ brew install wxmac

And add the --with-wx switch to KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS or the erln8 profile of your choice before building

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what's the difference between gen_statem and gen_fsm?

gen_statem has special code in it to let you emulate a selective receive within the FSM itself, replay or postpone events and messages, or generate events internally. It also lets you do complex states using nested terms so you could simulate nested FSMs in it.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
has homebrew stopped being super patriarchal about openssl headers? they went from "whatever" to "uh are you sure you want this" to "we, this third part package manager written in ruby whose primary data store is GitHub, do not trust you to make good decisions"

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
also hilarious that homebrew just refuses to run if it notices it's root and instead instructs you to instead chown or whatever until everything it needs belongs to you. now imagine doing this on a computer with multiple regularly used accounts.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FamDav posted:

has homebrew stopped being super patriarchal about openssl headers? they went from "whatever" to "uh are you sure you want this" to "we, this third part package manager written in ruby whose primary data store is GitHub, do not trust you to make good decisions"

nope. it's made .net core even more of a headache than usual.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

fleshweasel posted:

also hilarious that homebrew just refuses to run if it notices it's root and instead instructs you to instead chown or whatever until everything it needs belongs to you. now imagine doing this on a computer with multiple regularly used accounts.

one of the entities in this post forgot about user groups and im curious to know which one it was

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bloody posted:

for one off things you can get a patch url by going to the pull request and then adding .patch to it. otherwise the stuff under the second heading here

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Luigi Thirty posted:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

thank you for continuing to be the best

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I found a home for our friend :chome:

Dances when there is an active signal from the backend. A dedicated service for that, :lol:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 2, 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

MrMoo posted:

Dances when there is an active signal from the backend. A dedicated service for that, :lol:

owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

nice

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Alright, someone is going to have to explain this one to me.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

*lights shaggar signal*

I want to do a simple cross platform program that is basically a slightly advanced spreadsheet. Enter data, run some calculations, display some output. Nothing too extreme. I'm thinking of dusting off Visual Studio and trying out Xamarin but I've never done anything too wild with C#. Is Xamarin any good or should I just accept my web app hellfuture

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MrMoo posted:

hell yeah

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

*lights shaggar signal*

I want to do a simple cross platform program that is basically a slightly advanced spreadsheet. Enter data, run some calculations, display some output. Nothing too extreme. I'm thinking of dusting off Visual Studio and trying out Xamarin but I've never done anything too wild with C#. Is Xamarin any good or should I just accept my web app hellfuture

cross platform to which platforms? desktop and mobile? win/Mac/Linux desktop?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

*lights shaggar signal*

electron and typescript

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm thinking Windows/Mobile, Mac/Linux would be nice but I don't think there's a solution that does all of it without going full C++. Which I don't have a whole lot of experience in and I'm not sure how I'd juggle the GUI

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

*lights shaggar signal*

use office 365

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xamarin is cross platform for windows(all versions) and mobile linuxes (ios/android) but I don't know if it makes stuff for desktop linuxes (unbunutu/osx)

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I don't think it does desktop Linux and it's not actually a spreadsheet / I have no desire to touch excel such that I'm willing to go to these silly lengths for a minor fun side project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
excel?

• Locked thread