Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

The reality is the scorched earth strategies of pitching race against race as a voting motivator is extremely dangerous and we are suffering the consequences of that strategy.

If the US is to survive the next president has to be someone who can unite people.

Otherwise we will slowly spiral towards disintegration, violence, civil war, and continued discrimination.

I feel a lot of Democrats are far too idealistic and don't realize the precarious reality of their situations.

There is no guarantee that if they keep running on minority rights that a apartheid state will not be set up in america. And there is no guarantee that that apartheid state will ever be stopped.

History is written by the winners.

the problem isn't running on minority rights. it's pretending to run on minority rights so that they don't have to run on anything else that's a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

I understand, and I admire you for being consistent and honest. You're right, I can't expect you to want to show solidarity with them. But what's your path to getting Trump out of office? It doesn't look like getting more minorities to vote is going to be enough; voter suppression is only going to get worse under Trump and Sessions, and according to the Cohn piece, black turnout was only 1% under what was expected, anyway. Are the Democrats supposed to pin their hopes of winning on the chance that they'll be able to beat those odds?
If we're at the point where we have to show solidarity with unrepentant racists then democracy is no longer a viable means to realize social justice and we should pursue other options.

We're not at that point, though! Unlikely voters can be turned into likely voters, and repentant racists can be worked with IMO. Hopefully Donald Trump will finally shock some of these dickheads into realizing that the way they've been approaching politics, and indeed life, is just totally wrong and stupid and self-destructive. People can change - it usually takes them way too long to do it, but it happens from time to time. The ones that don't, however, I don't want to share a party with.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I see more bullshit without context. Do I need to pull out the chart that shows that African Americans primarily supported Hillary Clinton in this last election? It's like you're trying to tell black people what we should think about her, while we meaningfully ignore you.

"Black people supported Hillary Clinton" is a not a very good argument.

There's many, many reasons why black people as a whole might vote for a specific candidate, many of which have nothing to do with the substance of that candidate's politics.

Because of those reasons, we don't actually know what the baseline of support for a 'generic Democratic candidate' might be among the black community. So merely saying "African Americans primarily supported Clinton in the last election" is meaningless, as there is no reason to believe that the natural state of things is for African Americans to be split 50-50 between the two candidates, or something of the sort.

What we do know is that Clinton underperformed with black voters in the general election relative to Obama, and that's part of why she lost the election.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kilroy posted:

If we're at the point where we have to show solidarity with unrepentant racists then democracy is no longer a viable means to realize social justice and we should pursue other options.

We're not at that point, though! Unlikely voters can be turned into likely voters, and repentant racists can be worked with IMO. Hopefully Donald Trump will finally shock some of these dickheads into realizing that the way they've been approaching politics, and indeed life, is just totally wrong and stupid and self-destructive. People can change - it usually takes them way too long to do it, but it happens from time to time. The ones that don't, however, I don't want to share a party with.

:agreed: 100%. I have no interest in being part of a party that caters to unrepentant racists. I hope a lot of people who voted for Trump look back at 2016 with shame, as something for which they have to atone.

In the meantime, though, the Democrats ultimately should embrace policies that are in line with their stated principles. That includes Medicare for all, investment in green industries, a higher minimum wage, and the rest of it. If that peels off enough Trump supporters in the Rust Belt, and energizes enough voters who stayed home in November, terrific. Let's push for what's right, and hope that the country rewards us for it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 2, 2017

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Clinton underperformed with African American voters. She performed better with Latino voters, but a fair amount of that can probably be chalked up to the fact that Trump was insanely racist against Latinos. It is entirely possible, even likely, that if she'd ran against a more typical Republican, she would have posted middling numbers among the Latino voter.

Any notion that Clinton ran some kind of 'minority-focused' campaign has to deal with the fact that it doesn't appear to have resulted in particularly good numbers among minorities in the general.

And frankly, there is nothing wrong with assessing people's judgment. If African Americans backed Clinton over Sanders in the general because of a belief that she was the safe bet and a good candidate for the general, that's all well and good, but there's a big chance they were very, very wrong in that assessment. It's ok, it happens.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 2, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Differentiate:

- Core of Trump's actual enthusiastic voters was composed of middle class, fairly secure people with a strong resentment for helping others
- Aside from that there were millions who were turned off by the election altogether, and either ended up not voting, or ended on Trump's side due to a failure by Dems to appeal to them. These people are generally the lower class disenfranchised folks.

The former camp, which is made up of terrible people, wasn't crucial in deciding the election.
The latter was, and I'd argue that bigotry in it was coincidental to their decision not to vote for Hillary compared to the impact of terrible campaigning. Now you have to ask yourself, is the fact that some of your voters may be racist a deal breaker even if their racism is not what got them to support you. If you answer yes, I'm going to say you are not suited to be a politician at all because you are deliberately constraining yourself by factors entirely outside your control, and thus unnecessarily hurting your dependents.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 2, 2017

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There's many, many reasons why black people as a whole might vote for a specific candidate, many of which have nothing to do with the substance of that candidate's politics.

Because of those reasons, we don't actually know what the baseline of support for a 'generic Democratic candidate' might be among the black community. So merely saying "African Americans primarily supported Clinton in the last election" is meaningless, as there is no reason to believe that the natural state of things is for African Americans to be split 50-50 between the two candidates, or something of the sort.

What we do know is that Clinton underperformed with black voters in the general election relative to Obama, and that's part of why she lost the election.

Under performing compared to the first ever African American presidential nominee/president isn't really under performing. If we're counting on winning 92% of the black vote in order to win elections we're loving up.

Also, can we please retire the idea of a generic Democratic/Republican candidate? Generics are always going to test better because they aren't weighed down with the baggage that comes with being a person. I realize it's 4 years away but who the actual candidate is matters in winning Presidential elections. It maters way more than policy. Does anyone here think that Kristen Gillibrand, running the exact same campaign as Hillary, doesn't beat Trump in 2016?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Under performing compared to the first ever African American presidential nominee/president isn't really under performing. If we're counting on winning 92% of the black vote in order to win elections we're loving up.

Hillary was running against one of the most openly racist candidates in recent history though

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Actually, as regards African Americans, Trump wasn't too much worse than Romney. His worst offense on the campaign trail was equating "inner cities" with unlivable hellscapes and calling black people lazy. That's pretty much standard republican fodder. Reagan was worse than that on the stump.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fulchrum posted:

You mean like the most progressive platform in history was a winner, right up til it wasn't and you needed to find any excuse possible?

It wasnt tho, lmao

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Kilroy posted:

I got some bad news about the 1930s and FDR for you then.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

:agreed: 100%. I have no interest in being part of a party that caters to unrepentant racists. I hope a lot of people who voted for Trump look back at 2016 with shame, as something for which they have to atone.

Lol I bet you chastised people for voting for Stein though.

Responsiblity in a Democracy requires you vote for the lesser of two evils. Even if it "caters to unrepentant racists."

This is the #1 issue for you? Changing it would drive you away from the party?

Well there were people whose #1 issues were other things, that's what caused them to not vote for Hillary, despite supporting many of her policies.

This kind of 1 issue blindness is what's loving up American politics. Christians only vote based on abortion. Liberals based on racism or lgbt rights.

I would vote for FDR enthusiastically even though he didn't care much for black people. Didn't offer most of his social reforms to minorities. Didn't integrate schools or the military. And was about as racist as your average American at the time. Which is pretty drat racist by today's standards.

I would vote without thinking twice for a candidate who was a racist, but whose primary focus was expanding the social safety net, investing in improving our infrastructure, investing in Education like we should be doing, and holding corporations responsible for their actions.

You can't loving let yourself be blinded by one single issue. The stakes are too high. And I say this as a minority.

It's a disservice to lose elections, only for the sake of catering heavily to minorities, and ignoring the concerns of the majority of the electorate, no matter how paranoid or racist they may be. Why?

Because it leads to people like Trump getting elected.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Responsiblity in a Democracy requires you vote for the lesser of two evils. Even if it "caters to unrepentant racists."

Well there were people whose #1 issues were other things, that's what caused them to not vote for Hillary, despite supporting many of her policies.

This kind of 1 issue blindness is what's loving up American politics. Christians only vote based on abortion. Liberals based on racism or lgbt rights.

I would vote for FDR enthusiastically even though he didn't care much for black people. Didn't offer most of his social reforms to minorities. Didn't integrate schools or the military. And was about as racist as your average American at the time. Which is pretty drat racist by today's standards.

I would vote without thinking twice for a candidate who was a racist, but whose primary focus was expanding the social safety net, investing in improving our infrastructure, investing in Education like we should be doing, and holding corporations responsible for their actions.

You can't loving let yourself be blinded by one single issue. The stakes are too high. And I say this as a minority.

It's a disservice to lose elections, only for the sake of catering heavily to minorities, and ignoring the concerns of the majority of the electorate, no matter how paranoid or racist they may be. Why?

Nah.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its the economy, stupid.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The Sanders narrative suggests that the people have entirely lost control of the Democratic Party, that it serves only the "liberal elite," and that it requires a fundamental restructuring. That's not a view that's really going to be shared among most PoC over 35. Sanders is very, very good at pointing out the failures of the Democrats, but at the same time is very, very bad at recognizing their successes, particularly their successes on local levels. I like Bernie quite a bit for his leftism, but he just does not understand a huge portion of the base, and he's also making little effort to communicate with them.

What successes are you talking about?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Its the economy, stupid.

You Nazi motherfucker

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Clinton underperformed with African American voters. She performed better with Latino voters, but a fair amount of that can probably be chalked up to the fact that Trump was insanely racist against Latinos. It is entirely possible, even likely, that if she'd ran against a more typical Republican, she would have posted middling numbers among the Latino voter.

Any notion that Clinton ran some kind of 'minority-focused' campaign has to deal with the fact that it doesn't appear to have resulted in particularly good numbers among minorities in the general.

And frankly, there is nothing wrong with assessing people's judgment. If African Americans backed Clinton over Sanders in the general because of a belief that she was the safe bet and a good candidate for the general, that's all well and good, but there's a big chance they were very, very wrong in that assessment. It's ok, it happens.

She chose Tim Kaine to be her VP, lmao

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That was mind bogglingly dumb.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

But he speaks Spanish!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The Democratic leadership seems to be banking on the Republicans doing a terrible job and anti-incumbent sentiment propelling them back into power without having to change a thing because there's no third option.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Also, can we please retire the idea of a generic Democratic/Republican candidate? Generics are always going to test better because they aren't weighed down with the baggage that comes with being a person. I realize it's 4 years away but who the actual candidate is matters in winning Presidential elections. It maters way more than policy. Does anyone here think that Kristen Gillibrand, running the exact same campaign as Hillary, doesn't beat Trump in 2016?

"Generic" isn't the point. The point is that there is an assumption about what a baseline of support is, and that assumption determines whether someone did well or not.

As for the actual candidate mattering more than politics, a lot of Clinton's problems were political in nature. Clinton's baggage came from her being a politician, not a person.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
What the gently caress has the Democratic party ever done for Latinos?

Obama won over the latino vote because of the coolness factor; but he never promoted any policy that directly helped latinos.

loving Bush deported less of them. Reagan was the last one to do a bunch of amnesty for them.

Latino's do not feel any specific loyalty to the party because of that

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Andrast posted:

Hillary was running against one of the most openly racist candidates in recent history though

Yeah. The interplay between the two candidates matters, not just Clinton herself.

There was a very real expectation that Trump's numbers among minorities would be abysmal. People often pointed out polls where he was at zero with certain minority groups. And the narrative that a big Latino surge was going to bury him in the end was being written the day of the election.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

What the gently caress has the Democratic party ever done for Latinos?

Obama won over the latino vote because of the coolness factor; but he never promoted any policy that directly helped latinos.

loving Bush deported less of them. Reagan was the last one to do a bunch of amnesty for them.

Latino's do not feel any specific loyalty to the party because of that

republicans are more outright racist towards them. to the dems, that means that we lay claim to them

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

in case you were thinking maybe someday the dems would change: http://shareblue.com/watching-the-hearings-i-learned-my-bernie-bro-harassers-may-have-been-russian-bots/

dems are now paying for propaganda against their own base. good job loving idiot losers

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

in case you were thinking maybe someday the dems would change: http://shareblue.com/watching-the-hearings-i-learned-my-bernie-bro-harassers-may-have-been-russian-bots/

dems are now paying for propaganda against their own base. good job loving idiot losers

Actually a good amount of the bernie bro's active on twitter were bots.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Condiv posted:

quote:

But here is the good news: those “Bernie Bros”? A significant number of them — perhaps even the vast majority of them — were bots. They were not our progressive allies, weirdly hurling racist and misogynist language in overwhelming waves. Does that mean racism and sexism are no longer a problem on the left? Of course not. And we need to address it with our social and professional networks whenever we can — including discussion of the fault lines that were clumsily highlighted by Russian operatives.

actually, racism and sexism was always a bigger problem for the center, gently caress you.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
LOL@ David Brocks Shareblue attacking Sanders. I guess the attempt by David Brock to ingratiate himself to Sander's supporters is at an end. Seriously is going to be funny when his guys realize that no one actually like them outside Hllary Sychophants.

Also lol @ I See Cucked People. What a fail troll.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Condiv posted:

they pandered to them harder during 08, and obama still pulled them in with promises of public options. hillary did not offer them much beyond the status quo of despair they're in, so it's not very surprising they were taken in by a conman like trump. recent events have shown them growing more and more dissatisfied with trump too.

quote:

I already covered this. 08 was also when the economy started tanking and over time as the economy started correcting, he began to lose that support that was built up.

[quote]excuse me, i was under the impression that those who utilize dog whistles are racist. as for the some or many thing, being specific doesn't really help him here (see: hillary when she dumped on deplorables). I think it will be easy because i think healthcare and jobs are more important to these people than their racism.

I guess we are going to play semantics while you ignore that Bernie Sanders is going up to bat for many of these racist voters. Excuse me while I stop giving a poo poo about what the man has to say going forward. Also, bold words considering the history of racism in our country. Many of these people could be doing much better off if they allied with minorities, but that tends not to happen because reasons.

[quote]
if it causes them to be completely lost then so be it. hiding from pressing civil rights hasn't prevented a resurgence of the KKK, and the only way I see it getting better is if the dems start actively advocating for civil rights again and making it clear racism isn't actually dead (and never was).

It is like you have been ignoring what has been going on and how the Democrats have been advocating and attempting to defend the Voting Rights Act.

Majorian posted:

I understand, and I admire you for being consistent and honest. You're right, I can't expect you to want to show solidarity with them. But what's your path to getting Trump out of office? It doesn't look like getting more minorities to vote is going to be enough; voter suppression is only going to get worse under Trump and Sessions, and according to the Cohn piece, black turnout was only 1% under what was expected, anyway. Are the Democrats supposed to pin their hopes of winning on the chance that they'll be able to beat those odds?

My path? Not coddling to racists. If they want to vote with us, then that is fine, but I will not excuse or forgive their racism. I would not change my message in any way, and I would work and strive to get rid of some of the barriers that are preventing people from voting.

What is the alternative? Coddling White people and hoping they come back to vote Democrat while still holding racial resentment? I mean, Black women tried to save us from Trump, yet they are often ignored and taken for granted by the Sanders wing. Guess who didn't take them for granted?

Alienwarehouse posted:

Rustbelt voters didn't vote for Trump due to racism. They voted for him because he was the only candidate who correctly pointed out (even though he didn't mean it) that endless outsourcing—NAFTA, WTO, TPP—and unchecked corporate greed destroyed their communities. And guess what, Hillary has stated numerous times that NAFTA was a success, and that TPP was a "gold standard" trade deal. Put two and two together and this isn't complicated. I'm not even getting into how Hillary virtually ignored all those states until the last week of the campaign, which by then reeked of desperation. And this fiction of yours that Bernie is "pandering" to racism or whatever the gently caress you've been on about the last few pages is completely disingenuous and has been factually disproven.

And minority voters didn't buy his bullshit because? They are working class too. Also it isn't fiction. Read the loving link. Those are his words, not mine.

The Insect Court posted:

You're right, here's one focusing solely on under-30 PoC. If only young black people could abandon their racial self-hatred and join the "my nursing home will be intersectional or it will be bullshit" 65+ crowd who went so overwhelmingly for Hillary.

Missing the point. How many of those people actually voted? What about the people over 30 that voted in greater numbers, how did they vote? Why are you so solely focused on people under 30? Is it because it is the only group that supports your narrative?

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

The reality is the scorched earth strategies of pitching race against race as a voting motivator is extremely dangerous and we are suffering the consequences of that strategy.

If the US is to survive the next president has to be someone who can unite people.

Otherwise we will slowly spiral towards disintegration, violence, civil war, and continued discrimination.

I feel a lot of Democrats are far too idealistic and don't realize the precarious reality of their situations.

There is no guarantee that if they keep running on minority rights that a apartheid state will not be set up in america. And there is no guarantee that that apartheid state will ever be stopped.

History is written by the winners.

You can't unite people while ignoring the big elephant in the room and avoiding talking about racism. America needs to have that conversation.

Condiv posted:

the problem isn't running on minority rights. it's pretending to run on minority rights so that they don't have to run on anything else that's a problem

So you think they are pretending. Well, I guess there really isn't anything else to debate with you about if you can't that minorities didn't feel that she was pretending.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Actually no, you have a terrible argument. It isn't like we are aliens from outer space, you can ask us why we supported a particular candidate. Also, your post just reeks of taking black voters for granted and ultimately ignoring what they have to say in order to make a argument of numbers.

Meanwhile we conveniently ignore the voter suppression that occurred and don't investigate any further into possibly why that support was lost. Also, gently caress off with that wrong assessment racist bullshit. Also #BernieWouldHaveWon

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

I sure did. Stein is an idiot, and the Green Party is a joke.

quote:

I think you've got the wrong idea about my position w/r/t the Democratic Party, and should read my previous posts.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

blackguy32 posted:

You can't unite people while ignoring the big elephant in the room and avoiding talking about racism. America needs to have that conversation.

Guess what. We just did. Progressives lost.

We've been having it for the past 50 loving years.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Minority voters went down in such numbers in the states that lost HRC the election that cannot be explained by simple bullshit poll laws. She did so because alot of poor working class Blacks decided to sit this election out. It wasn't just because Obama wasn't running. It was because HRC didn't offer them anything. Simple platitudes about not being racist are not going to get alot of black people out to vote . Yeah it was unwise of them to not vote. BUt then HRC should have figured that out. BUt instead of looking at their material problems, she in her ads, in many of her speeches. Offered platitudes and TRUMPBAD.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 2, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Guess what. We just did. Progressives lost.

We've been having it for the past 50 loving years.

Are you saying that racism has won, and that's that?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

blackguy32 posted:

I guess we are going to play semantics while you ignore that Bernie Sanders is going up to bat for many of these racist voters. Excuse me while I stop giving a poo poo about what the man has to say going forward. Also, bold words considering the history of racism in our country. Many of these people could be doing much better off if they allied with minorities, but that tends not to happen because reasons.

it doesn't seem to me like you ever gave much of a poo poo.

quote:

I already covered this. 08 was also when the economy started tanking and over time as the economy started correcting, he began to lose that support that was built up.

:shh: the economy hasn't actually recovered for a lot of these same people

quote:

It is like you have been ignoring what has been going on and how the Democrats have been advocating and attempting to defend the Voting Rights Act.

nah, i paid attention to that. they failed at it too, and then they gave up a supreme court seat to the extreme right. I think you are still relying on the same failed political wisdom that lost us 2016. i do not think these racist trump supporters are so racist that they will vote against free healthcare and welfare while they are poor and suffering (as opposed to when they were doing ok and happy in the past) if we push anti-racism. i think they will choose healthcare over racism. besides, we cannot achieve economic justice unless we strive hard for racial justice, so i'm not really willing to forgo either for electoral victory.

quote:

So you think they are pretending. Well, I guess there really isn't anything else to debate with you about if you can't that minorities didn't feel that she was pretending.

there were PoC that thought the dems were not sincere, and for good reasons. sorry your personal opinion doesn't line up with that, but I agree with the others that hillary's policy for PoC was a wet fart compared to what the dems need to be doing.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 2, 2017

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Majorian posted:

blackguy32 posted:

So we should pander to racists with the hopes of winning their votes, even though it has clearly been shown that they won't vote for us. No. I will not be held hostage by some racists. We as a people have suffered long, we can suffer for longer for true equality. And yes, there are plenty of minorities that live in those cities, it's a shame that many of their colleagues think they can get hosed when it comes to their economic well-being. And no, gently caress showing solidarity with people who don't think I am human. I think that is your privilege talking making a statement like that.

blackguy32 would rather see it all burn and continue to suffer than work with anyone else. Ironically, he's all for the privilege of purity tests and watching people like Trump take office rather than sully himself with a lesser.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

steinrokkan posted:

Are you saying that racism has won, and that's that?

No , I'm saying that when you lose elections you need to find new strategies.

When has anti-racism ever won a election? Dukakis? Mondale? Adlai Stevenson? Are you willing to fail like that continously like Dems did from Nixon to Clinton? 40 years with 1 single Democrat President?

Racist tickets have been regularly winning the elections in this country for the past 50 years. Obama was the exception - not the norm. And he didn't act in any way that was really traditionally culturally black.

How many times do you have to lose before you change your strategy?

I'm a minority. It hurts us more when you lose elections all while screaming "It's ok because the other guys racist and we can't dare do anything racists would be ok with!!!"

I have friends who are going to be deported from this country, because you were too busy fighting for some kind of purity.

ISeeCuckedPeople fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 2, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Not a Step posted:

blackguy32 would rather see it all burn and continue to suffer than work with anyone else. Ironically, he's all for the privilege of purity tests and watching people like Trump take office rather than sully himself with a lesser.

I don't think that's fair. I think he's legitimately concerned that if the left takes over the Democratic Party and then takes power, it will forget about its duty to protect minority rights, in favor of catering to the white working class. It's not an unfounded concern; see the New Deal or the Great Society for examples. The problem with his mindset, IMO, is that I don't think he realizes how truly fatal to the Democratic Party and the American left it will be, if the Democrats nominate another pro-Wall Street, pro-austerity Dem in 2020. If Cory Booker gets nominated, well, that will be a shame. We might see another Trump term, and even if we don't, we will be handing Republicans control over Congress for a generation.

blackguy32 posted:

My path? Not coddling to racists. If they want to vote with us, then that is fine, but I will not excuse or forgive their racism. I would not change my message in any way, and I would work and strive to get rid of some of the barriers that are preventing people from voting.

That's fair. I think we're ultimately calling for the same thing, just with different concerns over how this could go pear-shaped. I understand your disaffection with Sanders, but like I said in TGRS politics thread, he's probably not going to run for president again. It's going to be Warren or someone similar in 2020, guaranteed.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 2, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Not a Step posted:

Pretty sure 'blackguy32' only has one identity and will interpret everything through that lens. Any conversation that doesn't address race first and foremost is going to fall on deaf ears.

This viewpoint isn't representative of most Bernie supporters, but it should be acknowledged that it exists among a not insignificant portion of self-identified leftists. This is gross.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fsif posted:

This viewpoint isn't representative of most Bernie supporters, but it should be acknowledged that it exists among a not insignificant portion of self-identified leftists. This is gross.

bs

like you guys were using the fb posts and tweets before to back this up, but it turns out those were russian bots. so where do you get this idea that a decent portion of leftists are racist?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Condiv posted:

bs

like you guys were using the fb posts and tweets before to back this up, but it turns out those were russian bots. so where do you get this idea that a decent portion of leftists are racist?

Well someone in Democratic politics is the racist party and it's totally not the wing of the party that has governors veto bipartisan laws to help poor minorities get lawyers. Or the people who give Mike "Stop and Frisk" Bloomberg a prime time speaking slot. Or the one where the governor of Missouri allowed the Ferguson PD to go wild.

Nope only the left is racist and it is the center who are the real tolerant ones

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

bs

I guess because we don't kiss centirists asses.

• Locked thread