Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Got my G5 plus too and loving it so far. It's the 4gb RAM Amazon version and feels great. The ads are nothing, just a tiny notification on lock screen. You breeze right by them with fingerprint login. This thing looks and feels like a phone double or triple it's price. Haven't used the camera much but that's next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The G5 plus looks to be a very solid value. Reviews say the camera is pretty much poo poo but I think that's true for all budget phones. $250 is honestly a pretty exciting price point in Android right now

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
How does hotsauce avoid falling into the S8+ trap? Well, he buys a super cheap G5+ of course.

This is a really nice phone for the price. Battery life is ridiculously good. Single speaker (earpiece doubles as) is super loud. Signal great. Build great. Camera sensor same as S7, but software is junk (processing sucks).

The SIM tray is the biggest fiddly piece of poo poo I've ever seen. The instructions are wrong and it took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to insert the SIM and SD card. Whoever designed this thing should be fired.

Outside of that, it's a solid value, IMO. Would be impossible to recommend anything else at this price-point. I got the 2gig/32gig ad-free version (had some Best Buy cards). As I understand, the Amazon ad version is fine as they get OS OTAs at the same time as the non-ad one. I'd probably suggest the 4gig/64gig ad-supported version for $239. The 2gig one is fine though. No lag or issues at all.

Primary phone remains an iPhone 7+, using this on the T-Mo DIGITS beta (cloned SIM). Pretty neat-o and lets me harvest play survey credits :newlol:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 1, 2017

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm planning on picking up the G5 soon, tempted by the Amazon version but I still feel sketchy about ads on something I'm going to be using every day for years. Best Buy's website shows the 64 gig version in stock at some physical stores around here, I'm hoping my local one gets it so I can pick it up at least a bit cheaper (urban enterprise zone)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
For the G5 havers, turn on one button nav with fingerprint sensor in moto app. It's super handy, you can go home, back, and open apps with swipes across the sensor.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
What's wrong with the one plus?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

darkhand posted:

It's the Uber of Android phones.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

darkhand posted:

It doesn't have enough RAM

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

darkhand posted:

Nothing, it's been the best phone I've ever had.

But it's not a Pixel or Moto therefore the thread hates it immensely

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Toebone posted:

I'm planning on picking up the G5 soon, tempted by the Amazon version but I still feel sketchy about ads on something I'm going to be using every day for years. Best Buy's website shows the 64 gig version in stock at some physical stores around here, I'm hoping my local one gets it so I can pick it up at least a bit cheaper (urban enterprise zone)

The ads are probably just like what they use on their kindles and is only ever present when the device is not in use. Like instead of whatever other phones do when not in use (clock, black screen, whatever) it's an ad. As soon as you turn it on it's gone.

I'm guessing. LIke the kindle ads barely even register as ads so if it's like that gently caress yeah ads.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If it is like the g4 it will be a full screen ad on the lock screen when there are no notifications or an ad that looks like a notification at the bottom of the list if there are. With the fingerprint scanner you probably will effectively never see them

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Syrinxx posted:

Nothing, it's been the best phone I've ever had.

But it's not a Pixel or Moto therefore the thread hates it immensely

I was looking up the Oneplus 3T specs and comparing it to the Pixel, isn't it just the same thing or better at half the cost? I'm considering buying a new phone and people in the thread "don't like" Oneplus, but I haven't seen any reasons for it. I just don't understand the rational and I'd like to know more.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How do some of you still not get that specs are not the whole picture. There's a very good reason that everyone who has used a Pixel raves about it and there's a very good reason OnePlus is poo poo on so much. And both have been discussed to death in this thread so don't go saying poo poo like you haven't seen any real reason.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

How do some of you still not get that specs are not the whole picture. There's a very good reason that everyone who has used a Pixel raves about it and there's a very good reason OnePlus is poo poo on so much. And both have been discussed to death in this thread so don't go saying poo poo like you haven't seen any real reason.

yeah man seriously let me just read through this 828 page thread to figure out why I shouldn't buy a phone that most review sites love and there's no glaring problems about like exploding batteries and what not.

Don't bother just giving a quick "Support sucks they don't support their own devices plus whatever else" just give dickish responses about it, it's cool I'll come back to you in a year with an educated goon response after I read almost 900 pages trying to find this poo poo.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Don't you get it man the $800 phone is slightly better than the $400 phone so you have to buy a pixel NEVER SETTLE

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Don't you get it man the $800 phone is slightly better than the $400 phone so you have to buy a pixel NEVER SETTLE

uh no buy a g5 plus I mean it's been out for two days we've obviously found out everything wrong with it by now so we can just blindly recommend that like crazy screw actually interacting with the phone.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Anyone having trouble getting Google Assist to wake up a Moto G5+? Talking about "OK Google" from a turned off screen. Its enabled in settings.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

darkhand posted:

The company is very questionable at best and it's driven by meme marketing. Also their customer service and quality control are terrible.

That said I received a OP 3T as a gift from a wealthy friend after my N5 unceremoniously died and I actually love it. That said I was lucky enough to get one that has no noticeable issues.

I personally don't think it's a bad budget option (for the kind of phone it is) but the moto offerings are far more reliable option.

Also I've never used more than 3 of the 6 gigs of ram on this phone lmao.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

E2M2 posted:

Anyone having trouble getting Google Assist to wake up a Moto G5+? Talking about "OK Google" from a turned off screen. Its enabled in settings.

Hrm I can't get it to work either and am going to chalk it up to a Google fuckup. On the voice setting to enable it the text says it works even when the screen is off, but when you walk through the training and say ok Google 3 times it says it only works when the screen is on or the device is charging. I think they just have piss poor wording and it only works when screen on.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

mod sassinator posted:

Hrm I can't get it to work either and am going to chalk it up to a Google fuckup. On the voice setting to enable it the text says it works even when the screen is off, but when you walk through the training and say ok Google 3 times it says it only works when the screen is on or the device is charging. I think they just have piss poor wording and it only works when screen on.

It definately works on my Galaxy S6. Probably a bug.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

64bit_Dophins posted:

The company is very questionable at best and it's driven by meme marketing. Also their customer service and quality control are terrible.

That said I received a OP 3T as a gift from a wealthy friend after my N5 unceremoniously died and I actually love it. That said I was lucky enough to get one that has no noticeable issues.

I personally don't think it's a bad budget option (for the kind of phone it is) but the moto offerings are far more reliable option.

Ok thank you

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Toalpaz posted:

I was looking up the Oneplus 3T specs and comparing it to the Pixel, isn't it just the same thing or better at half the cost? I'm considering buying a new phone and people in the thread "don't like" Oneplus, but I haven't seen any reasons for it. I just don't understand the rational and I'd like to know more.

Inconsistent quality. Screen touch lag. Average camera. Crap company. Specs mean next to nothing...particularly when it comes to determining that it's the "same thing" as the Pixel. Review sites are hilariously bad at determining if a phone is good other than to tell you if a feature is on the phone in some basic fashion.

Moto has a decent track record unlike one plus.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Turns out that turning on any accessibility services, like the lastpass auto fill for example, is what does this. Thanks Google!!!! Hooray for android!!!

Yeah this has happened to me a few times and you have to manually turn it back on. It's certainly one of the dumber android experiences.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey gang. I was wondering what the best phone right now is--it's been a while since I last posted and there's been a lot of talk about what the best phone is (over 600 posts worth! :eyepop:). If I were looking to buy a phone, what would you recommend? Here's my "can't live without" list:

-ability to send SMS messages. I am a very social person and I need to text.
-ability to call. Sometimes my job requires me to be on the phone, so this is a must.
-ability to browse the web. I can't get enough of my daily website routines, and it's even better when I can browse those same websites over and over again while on the go.
-ability to play music. I LOVE music, you could say that I can't live without it! :xd: being able to listen to music on my phone would be incredible

All other features would be a bonus. Looking forward to your recs! My maximum budget is $2,500 USD.

Edit: HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN? A good camera. I love taking pictures and sharing them online for all my friends to see.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 2, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Hey gang. I was wondering what the best phone right now is--it's been a while since I last posted and there's been a lot of talk about what the best phone is (over 600 posts worth! :eyepop:). If I were looking to buy a phone, what would you recommend? Here's my "can't live without" list:

-ability to call. Sometimes my job requires me to be on the phone, so this is a must.
-ability to browse the web. I can't get enough of my daily website routines, and it's even better when I can browse those same websites over and over again while on the go.
-ability to play music. I LOVE music, you could say that I can't live without it! :xd: being able to listen to music on my phone would be incredible

All other features would be a bonus. Looking forward to your recs! My maximum budget is $2,500 USD.

Edit: HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN? A good camera. I love taking pictures and sharing them online for all my friends to see.

For your edge-case you'll need something bespoke. I'll PM you an Instructables link on how to make your own Linux phone out of a Raspberry Pi and an Altoids tin

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

I don't think you can, unless they changed that in an update. Pretty sure it aggressively clears memory to "improve battery life" or something.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mod sassinator posted:

I've got the same issue on my Pixel. Which reminds me, I need to get around to contacting support about that.

Another issue with my Pixel: recently it's been horribly slow on some sites (e.g. gocomics.com, imgur) on my home wifi. My laptop is not affected. What could be causing this?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A friendly reminder that the Axon 7 owns and is incredible value. It's on 7.1.1 already and the audio is the best of any phone out there. Buy buy buy!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

How much RAM do you require in a phone?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So I did the thing and now awaiting a Pixel XL in black. Here's the journey so far:-

- Went into carphone warehouse (an actual shop) to see if they would match the £120 upront £40.99 a month dealieo they had on the internet
- Lady wouldn't move, wanted me to pay £45 a month for half what I could get online (data wise)
- Turned 180 degrees and walked out, she wouldn't barter.
- Click buy online and fill out a bunch of forms
- Shows Pixel XL in stock
- Get email saying due April 19th, evidently not in stock :(

So I've been thinking about getting :- This Case

did I do good getting a pixel this late?

spiky butthole fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 2, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

Hey, my G4 Nougat update just came out today and... wait, it was just a security update. The previous security patch was July 2016.

Moto is great if you don't care about updates or anything.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AFAIK, no one has a consistent record of timely updates. The best in that regard has always been Google devices. You shouldn't buy from anyone else if updates on Android are of paramount importance to you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think you can, unless they changed that in an update. Pretty sure it aggressively clears memory to "improve battery life" or something.

OnePlus is the phone of choice amongst people who disabled SuperFetch when they got Vista.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

AFAIK, no one has a consistent record of timely updates. The best in that regard has always been Google devices. You shouldn't buy from anyone else if updates on Android are of paramount importance to you.

I thought Google devices were the gold standard for getting timely updates. Did that change with the Pixel devices since I haven't really been following them?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

I thought Google devices were the gold standard for getting timely updates. Did that change with the Pixel devices since I haven't really been following them?

Read the post you quoted again

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speaking of updates, 7.1.2 has started rolling to the Pixel C and Nexus Player. I think we can assume Pixel rollout will begin tomorrow.
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-712-rolling-some-pixel-c-and-nexus-player-users

I can confirm my Pixel C just prompted for the 7.1.2 update.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of updates, 7.1.2 has started rolling to the Pixel C and Nexus Player. I think we can assume Pixel rollout will begin tomorrow.
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-712-rolling-some-pixel-c-and-nexus-player-users

I can confirm my Pixel C just prompted for the 7.1.2 update.

Interesting that it says Rogers will be pushing an update. I was under the impression that with my Pixel XL they basically had no input to when I can update once released by Google.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Semantics.

Google pushes the update, but they coordinate with carriers ahead of time and carriers usually have a support page up for each update.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah this has happened to me a few times and you have to manually turn it back on. It's certainly one of the dumber android experiences.

How do I do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Whats the threads opinion on the s8/+? Upgrading soon and three dont sell pixels