Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

iospace posted:

it's a theme, not an element.
I'd argue this argument doesn't quite work given that Dragon and Bug exist, since it applies at least as much if not more to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My pokemon fangame adds type O Negative.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Plus steel is just a really cool idea for a type and gave them an excuse to create things like metagross the living supercomputer Pokemon down the line.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I honestly can't see a new type being added as anything one could think of can be covered by existing types (Cosmic/Light by fairy for example), would rob another type of options for movelists (Sound for normal), or wouldn't really work as an element.

Though I do think a lot of the Flying Types mon need an overhaul - how many gens did it take before GF finally made a pure flying and the ton of flying/normals that could be reclassed - as say perhaps Flying/Fighting

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Robindaybird posted:

I honestly can't see a new type being added as anything one could think of can be covered by existing types (Cosmic/Light by fairy for example), would rob another type of options for movelists (Sound for normal), or wouldn't really work as an element.

Though I do think a lot of the Flying Types mon need an overhaul - how many gens did it take before GF finally made a pure flying and the ton of flying/normals that could be reclassed - as say perhaps Flying/Fighting

Flying really, really needs an overhaul, or a more accurate name. It's effectively "air" in classical elements, at least in practice.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

lot of it is - even accounting for 'early flyer to steamroll bugs and grass if you don't have the fire starter', there's way too many flying/normals, and the only pure flying is Tornadus so there's no real way to gauge how effective Flying is on it's own.

Some of the mons I'd consider reclassifying to Flying/Fighting is Farfetch'd, Dodrio line for the kick moves, and the Taillow line (mainly since it's blurb that it's Aggro-bird)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

It's adorable, but it's coloration makes me think Dragon, not Flying.

that's just because it looks like altaria isn't it

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

I'd argue this argument doesn't quite work given that Dragon and Bug exist, since it applies at least as much if not more to those.

The Bug type is pretty central to Pokemon, since the entire franchise was made to emulate Satoshi Tajiri's experiences catching bugs in the fields and forests of Kanto as a child, and the rest of the type chart was expanded out from Bug, which is where Bird came from (which was re-branded to flying so they could fit more into it which gave it the identity crisis mentioned above). Dragon fits in a lot better when you have Bug and Bird to go with it. I'd also say Fairy also fits into this taxonomic classification category of Pokemon types, which was the original concept for Pokemon types. Sound doesn't fit into this category of types, though.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
While I like pokemon sometimes I laugh at how hyper critical people are of some of the ideas in some fan games because realistically, the original games buggy and silly charm is what definitely helped the series persist over time.

I get some of the edgier poo poo is just bad but most times, unless it looks like bad sonic fan art, I usually give the benefit of the doubt.

Like it's taken the Pokemon franchise a poo poo ton of generations to make some types relevant. Besides heracross, foretress and scyther, bug types were actually fairly represented but criminally underpowered as a type until the last few generations.

Dragons and ghost were a mess for different reasons. and the normal type is still the weirdest typing to me, especially the normal types with secondary types that aren't flying.

Or the idea that every non elemental flying type was by default also normal until Tornadus.

And does the normal like indicate you're shaped like an animal?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I guess I'm the only one liking the 2edge Kurian ghost Lopunny :shobon:

I mean I love its design aesthetic, it keeps the creepy doll theme going strong throughout its evolutions, and its Pokédex bio is suitably creepy for a ghost.

EDIT:

Carlioo posted:

(a sadist that want to impress it's trainer because it loves it so much? :rolleyes:)

I guess it's to play up the yandere angle to some ghosts?

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 2, 2017

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Dinictus posted:

I guess I'm the only one liking the 2edge Kurian ghost Lopunny :shobon:

I mean I love its design aesthetic, it keeps the creepy doll theme going strong throughout its evolutions, and its Pokédex bio is suitably creepy for a ghost.

I liked the design of Kurian Bunery honestly. Not that spooky ghost doll is unique in the PokéUniverse, but it looks neat. K-Lopunny's designs are also alright, but the description ruins it for me (a sadist that want to impress it's trainer because it loves it so much? :rolleyes:)

Honestly, a lot of these design choices feels like the creators had an idea (Let's make crystallized versions of mega Pokemon! That'd be cool!) and then kinda ran with it for too long (Crystal typing!). Most of the Pokemon designs feels like they could fit in an actual Pokemon game, but I think whatever Azurite is gonna end up as, any good design choices they make will probably be held back by bad gameplay/story design. But again, they probably aren't even close to releasing it, so hopefully it'll end up good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gyra_Solune posted:

It never seemed like they were all stony to me? Aerodactyl's just a pterodactyl

Petrodactyl.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Crystal is the only type idea from Azurite I like. I like the idea of a neutral type, actually.

but I wouldn't put in new types if I were making a Pokemon fangame. just, too much loving work to balance. the idea would be to do the minimum amount of work while still making something people would enjoy.

also, there would only be one new Mega. Mega Dunsparce, obviously. It's just bigger and has fully functional wings. and +50 to every stat. still Normal.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

:prepop:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Spatula City posted:

Crystal is the only type idea from Azurite I like. I like the idea of a neutral type, actually.

but I wouldn't put in new types if I were making a Pokemon fangame. just, too much loving work to balance. the idea would be to do the minimum amount of work while still making something people would enjoy.

also, there would only be one new Mega. Mega Dunsparce, obviously. It's just bigger and has fully functional wings. and +50 to every stat. still Normal.

As a kid I practically expected/wanted crystal type to become a thing ever since one anime episode had a Crystal Onix in it
I also wanted a dragon/semilegendary type that had a cocoon mid-stage for some reason and I got that twice, so I guess kidself at least had some things come true

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
a true neutral type is sorta weird to me when normal's supposed to pretty much be that - its not being good against rock/steel defines those two as being especially defensive, its being weak against fighting defines it as being especially offensive in nature, its mutual ineffectualness with ghost defines it as being especially unusual and tricky in nature. any kind of true neutrality ought to be a specific gimmick instead of an actual type really.

crystal's basically rock type anyway. and yeah, i agree with the sentiment that this big flashy poke fangame is going to exist as concept art and nothing else, i don't see any evidence that there is any video game being made yet so this is basically an elaborate showcase for some random fanart

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Gyra_Solune posted:

its not being good against rock/steel defines those two as being especially defensive

This is a weird thing re rock that Gamefreak needs to drop, though

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Mister Olympus posted:

This is a weird thing re rock that Gamefreak needs to drop, though

why though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I think because rock is a lovely defensive type but one of the strongest offensive ones.

But almost all rock pokemon are slow and defensive. Ice has a similar issue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Have you ever punched a rock? Those things are durable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waffleman_ posted:

According to pokemon, rocks are weak to punching tho.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zore posted:

According to pokemon, rocks are weak to punching tho.

poo poo

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Rock is weak to fighting because Martial Artist's break rocks with their head karate chop axe kick butt bash kamehameha mad martial art's skill.

They tend to get those skills by punching rocks and not breaking them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gyra_Solune posted:

crystal's basically rock type anyway. and yeah, i agree with the sentiment that this big flashy poke fangame is going to exist as concept art and nothing else, i don't see any evidence that there is any video game being made yet so this is basically an elaborate showcase for some random fanart

There's a single video in the video section that looks decent, and there's some musical tracks completed. It looks like it's fairly early in development, so for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Though you're probably right and it won't release.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'd say crystal could be in line with ice type too.
I do appreciate that most pokemon are water besides normal because the planet is mostly water

another type wouldn't hurt. It's just filling it up enough.

Fairy worked because so many cutesey normal types existed.

Crystal could also work because some rock and ice types would fit it.

Also I still don't understand showing off your not for profit fan projects so early, unless you are seeking help from others.

It's just asking for a C&D

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Waffleman_ posted:

now I am forced to post this

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vorpal Cat posted:

Plus steel is just a really cool idea for a type and gave them an excuse to create things like metagross the living supercomputer Pokemon down the line.

"Hold on while I parallel-park my supercomputer."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can relate to the urge to fire beams of destruction at bad drivers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DeafNote posted:

now I am forced to post this

I legitimately use this comic as my pnemonic for Fighting/Flying.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Waffleman_ posted:

I legitimately use this comic as my pnemonic for Fighting/Flying.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The perfect place to put a French-speaking woman to arbitrarily reference Kalos is in the middle of the loving rainforest. OK????

The fact that they added a random French NPC but didn't bother to check and see if the grammar was correct makes me irrationally frustrated for some reason.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Vinylshadow posted:

"Hold on while I parallel-park my supercomputer."

This is so amazing. I don't care what you Pokefreaks post about types or whatever, I'm loving the art in this thread.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

My theorycrafted sound typing was strong against rock because of shattering glass/crystals but not effective against ground or ice (snow tends to absorb noise weirdly, though solid ice not necessarily so). I don't remember all of the things I had in it off the top of my head but SE against water and steel too. I mostly gave up on it when I realized there were too many dual-type pokemon who would make sense as sound, but I didn't want to change either of their types. I think dealing with it with ability variants is probably best.

That said, it's probably STILL the best of the types that Azurite is adding. Cosmic, Light, and Mystic are all things that basically could be done by some combination of fairy, psychic, dark, and ghost, and almost all of the pokemon they've retyped to those (as well as the regional variants who are mostly the new types) are kind of awkward changes. And Crystal is just a super mode thing basically.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 3, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Still not sure why sand attack is ground type instead of dark. Sand in the eyes is like the classic dirty fighting move.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tunicate posted:

Still not sure why sand attack is ground type instead of dark. Sand in the eyes is like the classic dirty fighting move.

I don't know why, either.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

Z-Moves are just so much of a better mechanic in basically every way that it's embarrassing.

Can't transfer Z-Crystals between games. I now am obligated by blood to never reset my copy of Pokemon Moon or else I lose that Snorlium and Mewnium forever. That just ain't kosher.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KataraniSword posted:

Can't transfer Z-Crystals between games. I now am obligated by blood to never reset my copy of Pokemon Moon or else I lose that Snorlium and Mewnium forever. That just ain't kosher.

Neither of those have any competitive use, to be fair. They're a trinket that just exists, like the Mewtwo mega stones.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iospace posted:

Neither of those have any competitive use, to be fair. They're a trinket that just exists, like the Mewtwo mega stones.

Exactly. Some of us just want to play the single player like filthy casuals and also get shiny neat things. :saddowns: Being forced to choose between "lose your neat things forever" and "stop playing single player because you're all out of game" is something that just grates really hard on me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Exactly. Some of us just want to play the single player like filthy casuals and also get shiny neat things. :saddowns: Being forced to choose between "lose your neat things forever" and "stop playing single player because you're all out of game" is something that just grates really hard on me.

I imagine that's easy enough to get around with a modded 3DS, yet another reason why you should always jailbreak Nintendo consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

KataraniSword posted:

:rip: all the mega stones that are trapped in copies of XY forever.

I really wish you could put mega stones & z-crystals in Bank, since it's not like you could break the game balance by restarting for dozens of them anyway.

• Locked thread