Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

No CK2? Preorder cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

RabidWeasel posted:

It's insane to me as well but apparently people like doing their own thing. Custom nations are able to have such brokenly strong ideas even with a small number of points that I don't find it fun without handicapping myself, at which point you might as well play some random interesting historical nation.

remember that "custom is the most popular nation" doesn't mean most people are playing custom, it just means that it's more popular than any individual nation, which isn't that surprising (there's a lot of nations to choose from!)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I had fun with a viking themed custom nation in Canada that one time.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Are there any guides to how to script for Stellaris? The language is really different from anything I've seen before and I'm sort of baffled by it. I want to create a mod that consolidates a sector's shipbuilding power in the capital- iterating over each planet in each sector. I mean, I'd prefer to add stuff about starport levels and whatnot but frankly I'll settle for anything working. I *think* I want something like this, that iterates over each planet in a sector each month and applies a month-long +build speed modifier to the sector capital:
code:
every_sector = {
    if = { 
        limit = { is_core_sector == 0 }
        every_planet = {
            if = {
                limit = { is_capital == 0 }
                    capital.add_modifier = {
                    modifier = planet_ship_build_speed_mult 
                    value = 1.0
                    days = 30
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
But was unsure how to trigger it. I think if it was a country event I could trigger it on a month's delay as 'country_event = { id = mynewid.01 days = 28 }'? With some kind of one-off event at the start of the game that sets it going? Or is this completely the wrong way to go about it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

remember that "custom is the most popular nation" doesn't mean most people are playing custom, it just means that it's more popular than any individual nation, which isn't that surprising (there's a lot of nations to choose from!)

I guess I would have imagined most people would play Big Names like France, England, Austria, the Ottomans, Poland, China, etc. Like, there's a lot of places to pick but I would've assumed everyone's played France or the Ottomans.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

spectralent posted:

I guess I would have imagined most people would play Big Names like France, England, Austria, the Ottomans, Poland, China, etc. Like, there's a lot of places to pick but I would've assumed everyone's played France or the Ottomans.

sure but it's the number of distinct starts that's counted, not how many people have played a nation at least once. so maybe everyone's played france at least once (england is the most popular non-custom nation apparently), but most people aren't going to play france a bunch of different times. whereas if you like custom nations you might try a bunch of different ones in different places

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

sure but it's the number of distinct starts that's counted, not how many people have played a nation at least once. so maybe everyone's played france at least once (england is the most popular non-custom nation apparently), but most people aren't going to play france a bunch of different times. whereas if you like custom nations you might try a bunch of different ones in different places

Aaah I follow. Yeah, once you have played a nation there's not much reason to replay.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Talkie Toaster posted:

Are there any guides to how to script for Stellaris? The language is really different from anything I've seen before and I'm sort of baffled by it. I want to create a mod that consolidates a sector's shipbuilding power in the capital- iterating over each planet in each sector. I mean, I'd prefer to add stuff about starport levels and whatnot but frankly I'll settle for anything working. I *think* I want something like this, that iterates over each planet in a sector each month and applies a month-long +build speed modifier to the sector capital:
code:
every_sector = {
    if = { 
        limit = { is_core_sector == 0 }
        every_planet = {
            if = {
                limit = { is_capital == 0 }
                    capital.add_modifier = {
                    modifier = planet_ship_build_speed_mult 
                    value = 1.0
                    days = 30
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
But was unsure how to trigger it. I think if it was a country event I could trigger it on a month's delay as 'country_event = { id = mynewid.01 days = 28 }'? With some kind of one-off event at the start of the game that sets it going? Or is this completely the wrong way to go about it?

I've only tinkered a bit with Paradox games before and not at all recently, but that sounds about right I think. Pretty sure you need = no instead of == 0 though, and I don't think capital.add_modifier is valid syntax. Something like capital { add_modifier= {blah blah blah} } ? If you haven't checked yet make sure that is_capital checks for sector capital, not empire capital. Also not certain if the behavior of adding a 1.0 planet_ship_build_speed_mult is what is desired, but it very well might be, you'll have to test I guess. However if it does stack properly you'll probably want the modifier length to be the same as the cycle. You might also consider adding a permanent modifier instead, with another event that triggers if the planet is no longer a sector capital that removes the modifier (maybe a flag as well as the modifier for identification?). Also is the event supposed to not affect the non-capital planet's ship build speed? I suppose that's necessary if the event isn't player only, or you might get the AI spending minerals on something that's never going to be completed.

e: I think some older PDS game had an event scripting guide in the game files? Can't find one for Stellaris though. ...Also, I have a nagging feeling that might have been EU2, and if so that would have been a while ago...

Staltran fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 2, 2017

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Arg... I hope you are bug-fixing like crazy next week Wiz, because it's the only reason I'm not cursing you for not releasing yesterday! I want to be playing so badly but I can't bring myself to do so with this all of these beautiful changes incoming.

I have been thinking of loading up the goon race pack and trying some mods in the meantime. I don't run anything but cosmetic stuff as a rule, but to kill the time waiting I'm thinking about it. What say you goons? Any advice for cool flavor mods that don't change the gameplay too much?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

spectralent posted:

Aaah I follow. Yeah, once you have played a nation there's not much reason to replay.

I can never resist replaying nations - by the time I quit a run I'm always thinking about ways to do it better or just differently.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

spectralent posted:

Like, there's a lot of places to pick but I would've assumed everyone's played France or the Ottomans.

Every now and then it occurs to me that I've never played an Austria game. Not just in EUIV, in any EU game, and I've been playing since EU1 in 2001.

Somehow it seems almost like cheating or something. But I've played Ottomans, so I dunno.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

ugh more loving tile management

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

I had fun with a viking themed custom nation in Canada that one time.

I did the same thing, but with German "colonists". But after a while turning America into a German continent turned out to be a lot more work than fun, so I changed to stranger stuff like saving some small, dying Asian empire wedged into the Korean peninsula or turning Iceland into the capital of a new Northsea Empire.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

3 DONG HORSE posted:

All 10000 provinces become tiles to manage :allears:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Boy do I have the suggestion for you!

My favourite bit is when he calls this "switching from the more abstracted Pops to a more concrete Population counter"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GotLag posted:

Boy do I have the suggestion for you!

My favourite bit is when he calls this "switching from the more abstracted Pops to a more concrete Population counter"

I mean, I'm fully onboard switching Stellaris to full Victoria POP mechanics and just dumping your populations into a few classes and calling it a day. Remove tile management and instead give planets a development index and a few slots for great works that will radically alter the planets outputs.

Examples of great works could be orbital shipyards, galactic breadbasket, (reduces max pop, consumes more slots) AI Cores etc. Robots would be a way to free up your populations to do more useful tasks like research and culture but if you aren't prepared for all that free labor then your pops might become restless and lazy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean, I'm fully onboard switching Stellaris to full Victoria POP mechanics and just dumping your populations into a few classes and calling it a day. Remove tile management and instead give planets a development index and a few slots for great works that will radically alter the planets outputs.

Examples of great works could be orbital shipyards, galactic breadbasket, (reduces max pop, consumes more slots) AI Cores etc. Robots would be a way to free up your populations to do more useful tasks like research and culture but if you aren't prepared for all that free labor then your pops might become restless and lazy.

Victoria style pops are kind of what I wanted from the beginning when they first announced the game was going to be using pops without really explaining what that meant. Although to be honest if the numbers are anywhere near "realistic" then the idea of "manpower" would be pretty laughable, since you're going to have billions of people per-planet and even if you consider fleet sizes being abstractions, the smallest empires are still going to have way more people than they would ever need to fight a war.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 2, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

pops and tile management as they currently exist involve lots of fiddling and micromanagement relative to the number of interesting decisions you get to make, abstracting them out more would be one sensible way of fixing that

banks is already moving some per-pop decisions to higher levels with the species rights stuff, I hope we see more stuff like that in future

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I, too, cannot wait to replace each planet with a chart wizard.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Click on planet/surface, hit B, pick a building, do it 15-20 more times in about 40 seconds, move on to next thing. I'm not sure how this is so problematic for some of you, without it the game would like 80% waiting on things and 3% warfare. The other 17% would also be waiting on things.

The only issues I have with it thus far are that robots take so long to build up (Utopia) and waiting for the planet admin slows this process down slightly, which again is fixed by #1.

It seems the underlying problem here is that you guys assume multiple species is the correct way forward, and that's why you are wrong.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 2, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Mazz posted:

Click on planet, hit B, pick a building, do it 15-20 times in about 90 seconds, move on. I'm not sure how this is so problematic for you, without it the game would like 80% waiting on things and 3% warfare. The other 17% would also be waiting on things.

ah yes, thank god I have this tedious micromanagement to save me from the hell of increasing the game speed a notch when there's not much going on

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mazz posted:

Click on planet/surface, hit B, pick a building, do it 15-20 more times in about 40 seconds, move on to next thing. I'm not sure how this is so problematic for some of you, without it the game would like 80% waiting on things and 3% warfare. The other 17% would also be waiting on things.

You must have a seething hatred of Stellaris because what you just described sounds like the worst game ever.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Use this mod. I set it to automatically upgrade buildings after I've placed them (and make sure there's always a hub and processing plant), but you can set it to auto build pretty much everything if you so desire. It can also automate slavery and/or robot construction.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it, and getting surprised by my company paying me two weeks earlier then anticipated I think I'll get Utopia as soon as it comes out. Luckily I took a couple days free close to Easter, so I can spend some time making new empires and maybe finally finish the spider-portrait I've been working on. (I just wish artists wouldn't just do either bad evil spiders or black widows. There are other types of spiders out there, guys!)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Libluini posted:

Thinking about it, and getting surprised by my company paying me two weeks earlier then anticipated I think I'll get Utopia as soon as it comes out. Luckily I took a couple days free close to Easter, so I can spend some time making new empires and maybe finally finish the spider-portrait I've been working on. (I just wish artists wouldn't just do either bad evil spiders or black widows. There are other types of spiders out there, guys!)
I hope you're talking about those cute jumping spiders.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

ah yes, thank god I have this tedious micromanagement to save me from the hell of increasing the game speed a notch when there's not much going on

If managing planets is cut down to a very basic checklist, what exactly is left? I love the game for what it is and I'm buying Utopia immediately, but I don't see what else really is there besides picking techs, managing leaders occasionally, and fighting for small amounts of time.

Gobblecoque posted:

You must have a seething hatred of Stellaris because what you just described sounds like the worst game ever.

Let me know what else is going on at any given point. It's generally a war you won immediately and tedious micromanagement of gaining warscore from that point forward, generally relating to splitting fleets and suppressing station construction, or picking the next techs you want.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 2, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Eh, I dunno, but I never feel like I'm missing anything when I turn the automation on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

I hope you're talking about those cute jumping spiders.

I have to confess, two things about spiders creep me out: Their faces, and jumping.

For some reason I have no problems with thin-legged webspiders elegantly moving through their nets, though. So my portrait will be that, essentially: A webspider sitting in her net. And a black widow, because strangely, the best pictures made by artists I found when doing research were all from black widows.

Seriously, apparently the only artists bothering with making spider-art really love their black widows. The rest of what I've found was mostly rubbish. Unusable for portraits.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

GunnerJ posted:

Eh, I dunno, but I never feel like I'm missing anything when I turn the automation on.

This is a different argument I think more based on how you have to micromanage currently since the sectors tend to stall out or mishandle it without proper oversight. That could be fixed, and might just be in 1.5, which would alleviate I think a bunch of the valid complaints about tile management. But I don't think the answer is scraping it entirely because its like one of the core parts of the game.

Maybe if you retool the game to make combat/diplomacy a lot more complex and interesting a simplification of tile management could coincide, but that's basically creating a new game (V2 in space). I know that happens here a lot though in the posting so I can see how that's the end goal for some people.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oh my. The unhinged wingnut behind the mod Stellar Energy (read the comments as well as the description, they're great), has some other Works of Quality to his name. Shadow's Defines has some... unique ideas about game balance. To wit, alliances and frontier outposts give influence. Rest assured, it's balanced:

quote:

[Note] This is not a "cheat" mod. Not that there is anything wrong with cheat mods, but the changes introduced in this file are global, and apply as much to the AI and other players as they do to the player.

Fake edit:

quote:

[NOTICE:] No permissions, real or implied, exist for anybody to copy and paste my work and reupload it to the Workshop or to other modding sites under their name, without my explicit prior approval. If you want to modify my mod for your personal use alone, you are welcome to do so. If you wish to open up my mod to see how I made my mod to get an idea for how to make yours, you are welcome to do so.

Under no circumstances are you welcome to copy and paste the contents of my mods, change some variables, and reupload it to the Workshop. I have a specific vision for how my mods are to be, and I do not wish to see that vision subverted. If you dislike the way I make my mods, make an original mod that does what you want it to do.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

Oh my. The unhinged wingnut behind the mod Stellar Energy (read the comments as well as the description, they're great), has some other Works of Quality to his name. Shadow's Defines has some... unique ideas about game balance. To wit, alliances and frontier outposts give influence. Rest assured, it's balanced:

Fake edit:

I don't get this guy. Is he trying to be funny? He is just altering stuff owned by Paradox, he can't actually prevent us from copying and altering "his" mods as we please. I even suggest we start doing this out of spite right the gently caress now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Libluini posted:

I have to confess, two things about spiders creep me out: Their faces, and jumping.

Counterpoint: jumping spiders are drat adorable :colbert:

Libluini posted:

I don't get this guy. Is he trying to be funny? He is just altering stuff owned by Paradox, he can't actually prevent us from copying and altering "his" mods as we please. I even suggest we start doing this out of spite right the gently caress now.

He probably came from one of the insane mod communities who take this kind of thing very seriously.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
He's a shameful ex-goon. You can read some of his old posts in PTN's running Battletech LP if you want to see what kind of dumbass he is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Libluini posted:

He's serious, and dumb as a sack of bricks. He made a mod which was all about REALISM (it added absurd energy generation to every star), and got super mad when someone else released a toned-down version of it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is why Mojang stepped in and said 'No you idiots you don't get to monetize our game'

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

He's serious, and dumb as a sack of bricks. He made a mod which was all about REALISM (it added absurd energy generation to every star), and got super mad when someone else released a toned-down version of it.

quote:

I will not be taking this down, @shadowdragon8685. You specifically stated that you would never be altering the file or making a lighter version. You then said "Make your own", and so I did.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

He's a shameful ex-goon. You can read some of his old posts in PTN's running Battletech LP if you want to see what kind of dumbass he is.

Holy poo poo, I have to go back and finish that thread. Hopefully I've not already missed the hilarity. :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You guys are loving lucky I don't have the skills to make major mods because I'd have come up with something that reduces not just planets but entire systems to moo1 style list of stats. And also some how disable FTL because "actually FTL is unrealistic, as is the chance of running into intelligent technological alien civilizations so those are cut out of the game" in my total realism pack.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Libluini posted:

Holy poo poo, I have to go back and finish that thread. Hopefully I've not already missed the hilarity. :allears:

Here's the probation: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=171926

His posts in the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=171926

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mazz posted:

This is a different argument I think more based on how you have to micromanage currently since the sectors tend to stall out or mishandle it without proper oversight. That could be fixed, and might just be in 1.5, which would alleviate I think a bunch of the valid complaints about tile management. But I don't think the answer is scraping it entirely because its like one of the core parts of the game.

Maybe I'm not understanding the argument then, but I don't even mean anything with sectors. Once I have a certain number of core worlds, dealing with tiles is 90% of the time too much of a hassle. But that doesn't really mean tiles have to go, I still make some decisions about where to put poo poo, I'd just rather leave a lot of decisions that I'm going to probably make the same way most of the time and upgrades to automation. I don't feel like the game is lacking stuff to do as a result.

• Locked thread