Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

vandalism posted:

Am I wrong or is this game way easier than bloodborne? I've got 2 characters going on there to test a skill build and a quality build and I get my poo poo pushed in repeatedly. I'm a lot more comfortable and confident in DS3. Probably because of shields.

it's harder than Bloodborne
sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

vandalism posted:

Am I wrong or is this game way easier than bloodborne? I've got 2 characters going on there to test a skill build and a quality build and I get my poo poo pushed in repeatedly. I'm a lot more comfortable and confident in DS3. Probably because of shields.

DS3 has a mid game difficulty spike (Irithyll) which I would say is harder than anything in the BB main game, but the start is definitely easier in DS3 and in general I don't think there's anything in DS3 harder than FRC D5 chalices. Both games are highly susceptible to just getting a fuckton of health and tanking everything.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

demons souls doesn't have bare, featureless cube rooms to house 'primal bonfires' which are supposedly important, so it's innately better for that in terms of level design

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Oh cool, after you beat the last boss and the other other last phantom boss in that area, you can go back to Shira's door at the top of the big staircase from the swamp and it is open, revealing delicious treasure.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Need a headset brother for inner ringed city please help

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Well.i thought the turtle dudes were cool until I found out that if you kill them after flipping them on their backs you get a clear view of their taint. Its like a final insult after death. Poor dudes ain't got no dicks

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I forgot how the game misleads you into thinking that Aldritch will be in the Cathedral of the Deep, only for him to have abandoned ship by the time you get there. That's pretty cool.

EDIT: Does the grass crest shield stack with the Chloranthy Ring, or is there no benefit to using both?

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 2, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

New Concept Hole posted:

Which one

Maybe all the bad ideas were in the Northern Limit

Anor londo. We already know the other is because he's the blacksmiths pet.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ineffiable posted:

Anor londo. We already know the other is because he's the blacksmiths pet.

Seems to be a Titanite Demon near a most of the game's blacksmiths, with the exception of Rickert. Both Andre and the Giant have one in proximity; there's one in the Catacombs, near the skeleton guy.

Could very well be that they're there for the Blacksmith to go and hack hunks of titanite off when they need it!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Considering Dark Souls 1's development is kinda sketchy, Titanite Demons may have initially been made for some cut area(There is an alternate Catch Pole design that was cut, possibly suggesting more than one type of titanite demon), but more realistically It's probably just the devs thinking it would be neat to tie boss weapon materials to special mini-boss enemies found around the game world. The Primeval Demons in Demon's Souls are never really explained either, and fulfill a similar role.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

mary had a little clam posted:

Oh cool, after you beat the last boss and the other other last phantom boss in that area, you can go back to Shira's door at the top of the big staircase from the swamp and it is open, revealing delicious treasure.

What phantom boss? I went back to that door after beating the optional boss but nothing happened.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elman posted:

What phantom boss? I went back to that door after beating the optional boss but nothing happened.

In the area where you fight the DLC's final story boss, there's a broken building waaaaaaay far away from anything where you'll get invaded.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

All of the dark souls games seem to have sketchy development. Demon's souls has the sixth archstone (with unused area and enemy data!), dark souls 2 feels like individual areas were designed then linked together later, and dark souls 3 was possibly going to have a bonfire creation mechanic but may have been scrapped and created odd bonfire choices, like crucifixion woods, and dragonslayer to archives bonfire.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
^^A lot of DS3 bonfires seem really weird. Also some shortcuts are... useless? I found one that goes from the bonfire in front of the abyss watcher boss to somewhere in the crucifixion woods. I didn't really look around outside the door, but...

The worst part about DS2 is all the ridiculously huge swaths of flat boring texture. Like the primal bonfire rooms, ugh. Or the outsides of Drangleic castle. It feels like I'm in minecraft sometimes.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Got Ledos hammer maxed out and it does over 600 ar.

:stonk:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The entire point of Drangleic Castle is that its supposed to be a gauntlet because that's what Vendrick turned it into. He didn't want anyone following him, and instructed his soldiers to guard the path he took into the Undead Crypt. There was nobody left in the castle to care about its actual upkeep after a certain point. That's why when you finally get insdie its almost completely barren and there's about 3 inches of dust coating every surface. Its not like Anor Londo where Gwyndolin was trying to maintain the illusion that it was still a place people gave a poo poo about.

I mean the ghost literally says "what the gently caress has happened to our castle" so I think its pretty clear.

EDIT: Not to say the level is mechanically amazing (the corrosive moat that can be completely ignored is silly) but thematically it was fine.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 2, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ineffiable posted:

All of the dark souls games seem to have sketchy development. Demon's souls has the sixth archstone (with unused area and enemy data!), dark souls 2 feels like individual areas were designed then linked together later, and dark souls 3 was possibly going to have a bonfire creation mechanic but may have been scrapped and created odd bonfire choices, like crucifixion woods, and dragonslayer to archives bonfire.

Demon's seems to have the most straightforward development but probably got its dev time cut due to no one being interested in it. I don't know anything about Bloodborne's development and I'm guessing there's no way to poke around in its files like the other games. But yeah, if the design works for Dark Souls is any indication, the making of these games is a bit of a jumbled mess that requires a fairly focused vision at every step, which may be why the sequels have been all over the place.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

The entire point of Drangleic Castle is that its supposed to be a gauntlet because that's what Vendrick turned it into. He didn't want anyone following him, and instructed his soldiers to guard the path he took into the Undead Crypt. There was nobody left in the castle to care about its actual upkeep after a certain point. That's why when you finally get insdie its almost completely barren and there's about 3 inches of dust coating every surface. Its not like Anor Londo where Gwyndolin was trying to maintain the illusion that it was still a place people gave a poo poo about.

I mean the ghost literally says "what the gently caress has happened to our castle" so I think its pretty clear.

EDIT: Not to say the level is mechanically amazing (the corrosive moat that can be completely ignored is silly) but thematically it was fine.

I mean, no, I don't think the game really sincerely suggests that Vendrick, apparently fleeing in the dead of night with all his knights in tow, left implicit instructions to have the castle rebuilt into a mediocre Dark Souls level. That seems pretty silly, and if they wanted to do a decrepit castle thing, I feel like they could have done a lot better.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Internet Kraken posted:

The entire point of DS2, which they made blatantly clear with Scholar, was that it was about finding your own path. In DS1 you spend your entire time getting pushed around by guiding figure that know more than you. You are controlled by the prophecy of the undead in Lordran. Even when you go against that, all you do is follow the will of another figure and fulfill a different destiny. That's why in the overall story of DS1, your character had no lasting impact there.

In DS2, you have even less to go on than DS1. There's no big prophecy for you to fulfill. You're just told that to escape the curse, you need to gain power. To seek adversity and conquer it. What you would do with that power was left open to interpretation. But it was made clear that even with that power, you couldn't escape from the curse. So in Scholar they added another ending where your character goes even further. You reject the paths that others have walked down in their own quest and seek something greater. The culmination of your efforts is a glimpse into surpassing the curse. The new ending implies that you will continue to seek more answers.

Then DS3 comes along and says gently caress all about the DS2 protagonist so all that goes out the window. That's one of the reasons I hate this last DLC. They didn't even give us a hint about what happended with the DS2 protagonist and it annoys me. I didn't expect some massive lore bombs but anything, just the slightest hint about you having done something, would of been enough. But there's nothing. For your efforts for both the first and second game to be totally pointless sours me.

I've been reflecting on the trilogy a little bit, and I'm trying to figure out the point of DS3 as part of the bigger picture. The world is in a state where the flame has been linked innumerable times, and as a result, the world appears to be wearing out. Cities from different civilizations are converging, time itself seems to be going nuts, and flame-linking has become frequent enough that it's common knowledge and ritualized. But the state of the world doesn't seem to have of a bearing on the cyclic nature of the world. If you let the flame go out, the fire keeper tells you that everything will go dark, but the flames will eventually re-ignite, starting the cycle anew.

So lore-wise, DS1 was all about fatalism, DS2 was about finding your own way and rejecting fatalism, and DS3 is about fatalism, again? Did FROM just want to hammer home the point? It's seems odd after hinting that there may be a way out in DS2.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ineffiable posted:

Looking back at the reveal gameplay they had it's pretty obvious that with DS2 they tried to give the game top of the line graphics and ended up overextending themselves, burning through their budget and creating a gorgeous game that couldn't run properly on consoles and leaving a lot of areas unfinished and needing to be slapped together at the last minute. You can even see that chunks of level design were cut out of the Forest of Giants.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The whole lighting mechanic was supposed to be bigger than it is now.

Aside from bloodborne which feels like the most cohesive, all of the souls games seem to have aimed too high and ultimately have things cut. They're still complete games, but when you look at it, you see rough edges where things were cut.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bloodborne has a lot of holes too. The entire PvP mechanic was slapped on at the last moment and the Chalice Dungeons ended up being a pretty poorly executed idea.

Its almost like none of these games are perfect, just really good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

Aside from bloodborne which feels like the most cohesive, all of the souls games seem to have aimed too high and ultimately have things cut. They're still complete games, but when you look at it, you see rough edges where things were cut.

I much rather have a game aim for perfection and be forced to settle for really good then have a game that tries to play it safe and just comes out bland.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Bloodborne has a lot of holes too. The entire PvP mechanic was slapped on at the last moment and the Chalice Dungeons ended up being a pretty poorly executed idea.

Overall it's flaws are a lot of what has made the series interesting.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What is going on with co-op undead arena? The last 5 fights I've had its not spawned in all members of each team.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

il serpente cosmico posted:

So lore-wise, DS1 was all about fatalism, DS2 was about finding your own way and rejecting fatalism, and DS3 is about fatalism, again? Did FROM just want to hammer home the point? It's seems odd after hinting that there may be a way out in DS2.

For me, DS3 actually helps contextualize DS2. DS2 is effectively a "book of tales" set in the Dark Souls universe, an excuse to feature a number of areas and bits of lore that help flesh out more of the game universe. It's really the only way to do it because DS2 makes little sense otherwise.

Dark Souls is a story about acceptance. It is a story about standing in the face of the insurmountable and finding a reason to move forward. For many people, this comes from the promise of an eternal reward, or the fulfillment of some great purpose, but the truth is is that the purpose isn't so great and you aren't so special, and whether you succeed and whether you fail, it doesn't matter. In the end, the fire will fade and only dark will remain.

DS2 emphasizes that these cycles cannot be broken, no matter what. The only noble thing to do is to perpetuate the cycle, or else vainly toil to find a solution. Aldia does not succeed in ending the curse. By Dark Souls 3 it's proven that it's all failed, all of it is falling apart, you can't just keep it going and going and eventually you need to accept that the fire will go out.

It's a meditation on the inevitability of death and an exploration of the Buddhist concept of the pointlessness of the future, due to the simple fact that tomorrow will always be a little worse, you will inevitably get old, get sick, and die. There's no hope in the future, and so in Dark Souls there is no hope in the future, there is no ESCAPE from the curse. To be alive, that is the curse. Every single human being is similarly cursed, to exist in a hopeless universe, set to make meaning of a world that is murky, dangerous, and unreliable.

Dark Souls 3 is embracing death, the Dark, and taking heart that from this oblivion one came, and from this oblivion one may come again. Life and death are but one and the same.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Gael is some ridiculous bullshit lol.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Augus posted:

Looking back at the reveal gameplay they had it's pretty obvious that with DS2 they tried to give the game top of the line graphics and ended up overextending themselves, burning through their budget and creating a gorgeous game that couldn't run properly on consoles and leaving a lot of areas unfinished and needing to be slapped together at the last minute. You can even see that chunks of level design were cut out of the Forest of Giants.

I really like this sort of discussion from a development standpoint. What in specific were you referring to in how chunks of level design cut out of forest of Giants?

Internet Kraken posted:

Like you say, it's more like they finished the rest of the game and decided to try their hand at the covenants. And to be fair, any other souls game covenants are only just slightly more fleshed out. The rest of the souls games seem to have ideas from the beginning that's ultimately scaled back.

Bloodborne's pvp was hurt by the design of having to be ringing your bell in order to be invaded plus the idea of bell maidens. I'm not trying to claim bloodborne was perfect but it has less rough edges.

And let's be honest, for a mechanic that really wasn't that core to the game, the chalice dungeons is a solid piece of work. It's just underwhelming for rewards unless you go to depth 5. But it has a serviceable amount of content.

I'm not trying to criticize the series. They're some of the best games ever. But we should realize where they had stumbling blocks.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Straight up, one could easily argue Bloodborne has the best PvP in the series. It's absolutely pitch perfect, and boils down encounters to skill more than gear loadout. Most armors are the same, and only heavily specialized (Arcane or Fire, basically) builds could possibly be negatively affected by a person's armor. Otherwise, it all comes down to skill with weapons, dodging and parrying. Bloodborne streamlines and then accelerates the entire Souls combat system and to this day I think it remains Miyazaki's best work since Dark Souls 1, possibly his best overall. It's damned near perfect in so many ways, and I am always amused when people complain about how unfair its Hunter battles are, given how incredibly powerful parrying can be.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I saw some DSII armour sets in a playthrough the Ringed City dlc, is there a list of all the armor sets added in the dlc?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Gael is some ridiculous bullshit lol.

Use that big honking hammer you were talking about. You can keep on hammerin' straight through his weaker attacks and heal up afterwards, then you just need to know how to dodge his bigger attacks.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Straight up, one could easily argue Bloodborne has the best PvP in the series. It's absolutely pitch perfect, and boils down encounters to skill more than gear loadout. Most armors are the same, and only heavily specialized (Arcane or Fire, basically) builds could possibly be negatively affected by a person's armor. Otherwise, it all comes down to skill with weapons, dodging and parrying. Bloodborne streamlines and then accelerates the entire Souls combat system and to this day I think it remains Miyazaki's best work since Dark Souls 1, possibly his best overall. It's damned near perfect in so many ways, and I am always amused when people complain about how unfair its Hunter battles are, given how incredibly powerful parrying can be.

The PVP is garbage. It was the best combat, easily, but actually finding and fighting other players is a huge hassle, even back when the game was just released. Invasions may as well not exist, and duels were close to it, only salvaged by the few community duel chalice dungeons that people made.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bloodborne could have the best PvP mechanically and it wouldn't matter because with the way its set up, it barely ever happens.

It doesn't though. With how powerful parries are a bunch of fights devolve into bullet spam fests.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Ineffiable posted:

Even the original Dark Souls had some serious issues in its late game, and most of the post-Anor Londo content doesn't live up to the rest of the game.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

I've been reflecting on the trilogy a little bit, and I'm trying to figure out the point of DS3 as part of the bigger picture. The world is in a state where the flame has been linked innumerable times, and as a result, the world appears to be wearing out. Cities from different civilizations are converging, time itself seems to be going nuts, and flame-linking has become frequent enough that it's common knowledge and ritualized. But the state of the world doesn't seem to have of a bearing on the cyclic nature of the world. If you let the flame go out, the fire keeper tells you that everything will go dark, but the flames will eventually re-ignite, starting the cycle anew.

Dark Souls 3 was basically made in a world where Dark Souls 2 didn't happen. You're having trouble tying them together because the devs didn't tie them together. That said, a lot of people forget that Dark Souls 2's DLC wasn't part of the main game, and that Aldia and the alternate ending weren't patched into the game until it had been out for nearly a year. The theme of the game, up until the 3rd DLC came out, was absolutely fatalistic. "Fate cannot be cozened." "The soul and the curse are one and the same." "One day, you'll walk those grounds... without even knowing why." You're the ultimate pawn, exploring the world, fighting bosses, and perpetuating the cycle not just because you can't fight fate, but because you're so far gone you literally can't do anything else.

And then the game pulls a complete 180 and lets you cozen fate, break the curse, and walk away. But there was a good 8-9 months before that was possible.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 2, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'd say stagnation is the trilogy's common element. You're always rolling into literal or effective ruins. The efforts to keep things the same make them worse.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think all of the souls games have had really fun pvp but I'll freely admit I've put the least amount of time into the bloodborne pvp.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Sum Gai posted:

And then the game pulls a complete 180 and lets you cozen fate, break the curse, and walk away. But there was a good 8-9 months before that was possible.

It broke the curse for exactly one person, total, and to do so had to basically cut the heads off of four dying kingdoms where there was basically no one alive left. It's not something repeatable and could not fix the curse, it just let a single, solitary person free from the cycles. And what did it do? If it does what happened to Aldia, it just gave them true immortality, and thus still has to continue on in a world destined to die over and over and over again.

All that work and one person was maybe better off, maybe. Depending on your viewpoint.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Genocyber posted:

Use that big honking hammer you were talking about. You can keep on hammerin' straight through his weaker attacks and heal up afterwards, then you just need to know how to dodge his bigger attacks.

The PVP is garbage. It was the best combat, easily, but actually finding and fighting other players is a huge hassle, even back when the game was just released. Invasions may as well not exist, and duels were close to it, only salvaged by the few community duel chalice dungeons that people made.

Lol the hammer is so big it occluded gaels phase 2 form entirely lol this game

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It broke the curse for exactly one person, total, and to do so had to basically cut the heads off of four dying kingdoms where there was basically no one alive left. It's not something repeatable and could not fix the curse, it just let a single, solitary person free from the cycles. And what did it do? If it does what happened to Aldia, it just gave them true immortality, and thus still has to continue on in a world destined to die over and over and over again.

All that work and one person was maybe better off, maybe. Depending on your viewpoint.

Then why did the curse change in DS3? Something changed, one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The curse didn't change at all. The only difference is the unkindled arose, but I've heard people say that there was some interview where Miyazaki said the unkindled had nothing to do with DS2. Maybe that's not accurate though.