Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

tekz posted:

I'm looking into investing internationally in a couple of emerging market funds. Anyone here have any experience with it and have good resources on what kind of accounts/anything else that needs to be done for tax purposes? I may have to make payments in the local currency as well so how do you go about taking the smallest possible hit on currency conversions?

Just buy VEE and don't pay currency conversion at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Tangerine mastercard now 0.5% cash back outside 2% categories.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

cowofwar posted:

Well April 27th is when it switches over. But looks like I need a general purpose credit card for out of my 2% categories.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I think I'm going to go as far as just getting an annual fee 2% card like the MBNA World Elite. Simplifying down to one card has some value to me as well.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I usually net around $550 after fees for my cibc visa dividend platinum card. It's not even the best cc out there but the fee based dividend ones are definitely worth it if you have the discipline to pay them off every month and put all the spending you can on the card.

If you have a partner get a spouse card attached to the account too, there's a fee but it's cheaper than getting two separate cards.

The other bonuses are nice too, like free emergency travel medical insurance.

Only real downside is it only pays out once per year, unlike some cash back cards. It also used to have a cap but they nixed that recently.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I have the BMO world elite. It's totally worth its annual fee (which I don't pay anyway thanks to having a BMO premium chequing account they paid me $350 to open. However this comes at the cost of foregone interest on a 6k balance. Totally worth it though)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the BMO World Elite is really good, I have one because of the free coverage of rental cars. Also it's super easy to use your points.

I also have the TD Aeroplan something-or-other not the stupid expensive one but probably the one down from that. It's my daily user, I went to Europe for (basically) free twice last year on points in business class. Totally worth the fee.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I have both the BMO world elite and the TD visa infinite travel cards. The world elite card is good for general purchases and the TD card gives the equivalent of about 4.5% on any travel purchases made via the expediafortd site, which has the same prices as expedia.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
I've been using the Capital One Aspire World Elite since 2011 and I still say it's the best card on the market.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Kal Torak posted:

I've been using the Capital One Aspire World Elite since 2011 and I still say it's the best card on the market.

Assuming you're grandfathered in, and get $100 worth of points for your $120 renewal. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

spoof posted:

Assuming you're grandfathered in, and get $100 worth of points for your $120 renewal. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.

I am grandfathered but I still think it's the best. Effectively 2%, can redeem for any travel purchase at any time, any amount, and you don't have to use the card's travel company like BMO or TD. Supplementary cards are free. Same annual fee as the BMO WE as well.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 29, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

cowofwar posted:

Ugh. Thanks, I glossed over the mail I got and only noticed the increased fees for stuff I never get, like hitting limits. Hadn't noticed the regular cashback was down to 0.5%.

I've been travelling a lot now that I'm in a long distance relationship, maybe I should just get one of those travel cards...

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Kal Torak posted:

I think we're only considering cards with terms you can get on the current market.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
TIL people who post about personal finance on the Internet still aren't dedicated enough to avoid paying fees on their credit card.

Come on guys! Get on the churning program.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I get between $400-500 per year with my fee free CIBC Dividend card, which they are trying very hard to sell me on switching to the penguin travel card or whatever.

After RRSP season I realized I hadn't rebalanced the TFSA mutual funds for two years so log onto Easyweb, got some weird errors, but managed to slog through.

Only to discover today that the system double bought my bonds :cripes: So today bought the rest of the portfolio again to get my distribution properly balanced. So, yay? TD errors forces me to double my savings!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

I get between $400-500 per year with my fee free CIBC Dividend card, which they are trying very hard to sell me on switching to the penguin travel card or whatever.

After RRSP season I realized I hadn't rebalanced the TFSA mutual funds for two years so log onto Easyweb, got some weird errors, but managed to slog through.

Only to discover today that the system double bought my bonds :cripes: So today bought the rest of the portfolio again to get my distribution properly balanced. So, yay? TD errors forces me to double my savings!

If that's the card I'm thinking of, it has a lovely up to 1% cash back, which means if you are getting $400+ back every year from it you are leaving hundreds of dollars on the table every year by not going to a cash back card with annual fee but returning 2%+.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mantle posted:

If that's the card I'm thinking of, it has a lovely up to 1% cash back, which means if you are getting $400+ back every year from it you are leaving hundreds of dollars on the table every year by not going to a cash back card with annual fee but returning 2%+.

Hmm. Seems I'm an idiot then, and the terms have changed since I started on this card forever ago. Its my oldest card by far so I'll keep it but it may be time to find a better deal.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Still doing better than me. I've had the TD infinite travel card for 10 years and put only like 160K points on it since then at a dollar a point. After having a problem redeeming the points for a thing I wanted I just converted them all to a $400 lump sum which works out to something like .25% :smith:

With a better card (that's actually used) I could be pulling that amount per year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haha, wanted to transfer a TFSA out of TD and found out they started charging a fee for it in March. gently caress me, of course I had to procrastinate.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lobok posted:

Haha, wanted to transfer a TFSA out of TD and found out they started charging a fee for it in March. gently caress me, of course I had to procrastinate.

How much is the fee?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

How much is the fee?

$75 plus tax, which they proudly proclaim is in the mid-range.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Is the amount you have in there greater than (half your available contribution room + the amount you are contributing in 2017) ?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Is the amount you have in there greater than (half your total contribution room + the amount you are contributing in 2017) ?

Oh, I withdrew it all if that's what you were going to suggest. It wasn't a big amount. And it wasn't a big amount because TD has a real problem accepting funds from my chequing account with another bank so I got fed up and wanted to transfer it.

They also have a problem not knowing how to handle fixed portions of my line of credit so I really don't think I'll be banking with them ever again.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

Oh, I withdrew it all if that's what you were going to suggest. It wasn't a big amount. And it wasn't a big amount because TD has a real problem accepting funds from my chequing account with another bank so I got fed up and wanted to transfer it.

They also have a problem not knowing how to handle fixed portions of my line of credit so I really don't think I'll be banking with them ever again.

Did you withdraw or transfer? Withdrawal should be free, I think...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Did you withdraw or transfer? Withdrawal should be free, I think...

The transfer required a fee so I withdrew instead and will put that cash into a different TFSA.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

The transfer required a fee so I withdrew instead and will put that cash into a different TFSA.

Ok, perfect! Good job! Stick it to the man.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lobok posted:

You don't have that contribution room back until Jan 2018 so don't contribute until then. Unless you are not maxed out and your existing space is larger than the withdrawal.

Normally if I liquidate and withdraw I do it in December so I can contribute the balance almost immediately.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, it was a small amount. I have plenty o' space left to contribute. Appreciate you guys making sure!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I've been reading about the Home Buyer's Plan and I'm confused. I can't figure out when it would ever be a good idea.

Before I continue: I'm not looking to buy a house; I suspect it's generally bad policy; there's surely many ways to use it very poorly. I'm just running hypotheticals. Given all that, is there a scenario where it's effective?

Here's the only case I've come up with:

1. You have RRSP contribution room that you would not otherwise use for your (regular, adequate) retirement savings in the next decade. (Maybe TFSA room suits your needs? idk)
2. You have enough for a down payment saved up (not already in the RRSP).
3. So you put your down payment in an RRSP so you can claim the deduction, then HBP it out in three months.
4. Buy that house.
5. You take your refund and... throw it at the mortgage?

Seems like a few hoops to bump up your down payment by a couple thousand. And I still can't convince myself that this is somehow better in the long run.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
If it gets you over the 20% down-payment threshold to avoid CMHC mortgage insurance it can be worth it.

Edit: To clarify, the more likely scenario is you already have the money locked into your RRSP. If taking it out gets you from 15% to 20% on a 450k mortgage that will save you $12k. If you'd planned ahead and put that money into a TFSA though at least you're not on the hook to pay it back. So it's not the refund that's the draw, it's having access to the funds at all that is.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 6, 2017

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I've been reading about the Home Buyer's Plan and I'm confused. I can't figure out when it would ever be a good idea.

Before I continue: I'm not looking to buy a house; I suspect it's generally bad policy; there's surely many ways to use it very poorly. I'm just running hypotheticals. Given all that, is there a scenario where it's effective?

Here's the only case I've come up with:

1. You have RRSP contribution room that you would not otherwise use for your (regular, adequate) retirement savings in the next decade. (Maybe TFSA room suits your needs? idk)
2. You have enough for a down payment saved up (not already in the RRSP).
3. So you put your down payment in an RRSP so you can claim the deduction, then HBP it out in three months.
4. Buy that house.
5. You take your refund and... throw it at the mortgage?

Seems like a few hoops to bump up your down payment by a couple thousand. And I still can't convince myself that this is somehow better in the long run.

Employer matching would be the main reason I can think of. Everywhere I've heard of only does matching on RRSPs and not TFSAs.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Yeah, the HBP is only really beneficial in certain edge cases. I mean, it ideally is supposed to let you save some mortgage interest by withdrawing from a savings plan without it being deemed income (and sacrificing any gains in that plan), but any market-based plan should have a higher return than any mortgage interest saved.

Not to mention that most people won't use it to lower their principal and will instead just increase their asking price. Not to mention the added pressure of having to repay it over 15 years.

BrainBot posted:

Employer matching would be the main reason I can think of. Everywhere I've heard of only does matching on RRSPs and not TFSAs.

Employee matching is supposed to be a benefit in lieu of a pension, so I'm not surprised it doesn't include TFSA's. It also saves the employer from having to figure out a taxable benefit on your T4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HBP also predates TFSA I believe.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Alright, well I feel like I'm not missing much then. I hadn't thought of getting over the 20% mark or of employee match but they're in the same boat I think? The money would do better in the market over the long term.

Subjunctive posted:

HBP also predates TFSA I believe.

By fifteen years, apparently. So that makes a little more sense as a policy decision at the time.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

pokeyman posted:

Alright, well I feel like I'm not missing much then. I hadn't thought of getting over the 20% mark or of employee match but they're in the same boat I think? The money would do better in the market over the long term.

It's worth running the numbers to decide what to do. If you're close to 20% it's worth trying to go all the way.

E.g. Going from a down payment of 57k (19%) to 60k (20%) on a 300k property will instantly save you just under 7k.

However, if you've only got 10% down and exploiting HBP will take you to 15% then maybe not worth it because you only save a few grand that way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

It's worth running the numbers to decide what to do.

Absolutely. Would be silly not to, if I was anywhere near planning to home-buy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
anyone have links to like, information about morgages in canada (BC)? i wanna buy a house and i don't know anything at all

do i just like, show up at a bank and say ' i wan a morgage' ?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baloogan posted:

anyone have links to like, information about morgages in canada (BC)? i wanna buy a house and i don't know anything at all

do i just like, show up at a bank and say ' i wan a morgage' ?

You want to walk into a bank in person, write that on a note, and slip it to the teller.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also, wear a beanie with a propeller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Risky Bisquick posted:

You want to walk into a bank in person, write that on a note, and slip it to the teller.

Furthermore the teller will then hand you a briefcase full of money which you then take to a real estate agent and you say 'i wan hoose'

Seriously though, go see a mortgage broker