Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Tenzarin posted:

I swear, when the major scans the room before she jumps through the window, I heard Deus Ex music.

I swear I heard some music from Blade Runner (the music from Tyrell's death scene) when they are raiding Kuze's lair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Ghost in the Shell was a movie I saw in my formative years growing up in the early 90's. I graduated high-school the year the movie was released, and it really shaped my whole outlook on technology and the future of humanity. It was the same year I got into Mondo 2000 magazine and really dug into the whole cyberpunk movement. That's why it holds as special place in my imagination regardless of any faults in the original, it did something unique that has stuck in peoples minds for going on 20+ years.

I went in expecting the worst, and I didn't get the worst. It was better than other remakes or re imaginings of classic movies from my childhood. The Total Recall movie was an abomination that I never want to see again, and the same goes for Point Break, which is one of my all-time favourite movies. I don't like how they did a lot of things in this movie, but it looked great and they had a lot of callbacks to the previous animated movies.

The action scenes beyond the wall running at the start were good. The bar scene where the Major dodges bullets was probably the standout action sequence for me. It really shows that Motoko have moved beyond being human, being able to dodge bullets.

The tank was cool, although a little cheesy given the movement of the tank and its look. They could have improved that scene

The whole identity thing bothered me a little. I think that they could have left out the mother, especially since it does tie her to the old Motoko identity rather than as the Major.

I wish they had included Bato's comment about the Major's body sinking in water. It really spoke to the nature of the Major and her nature. They could have thrown in a few more lines that were similar to dialogue in the old movies, like with the garbage man and his imaginary kids.

In the end maybe I just prefer my transhumanist movies and tv shows to be a little more philosophical?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Hamelekim posted:

Ghost in the Shell was a movie I saw in my formative years growing up in the early 90's. I graduated high-school the year the movie was released, and it really shaped my whole outlook on technology and the future of humanity. It was the same year I got into Mondo 2000 magazine and really dug into the whole cyberpunk movement. That's why it holds as special place in my imagination regardless of any faults in the original, it did something unique that has stuck in peoples minds for going on 20+ years.

I went in expecting the worst, and I didn't get the worst. It was better than other remakes or re imaginings of classic movies from my childhood. The Total Recall movie was an abomination that I never want to see again, and the same goes for Point Break, which is one of my all-time favourite movies. I don't like how they did a lot of things in this movie, but it looked great and they had a lot of callbacks to the previous animated movies.

The action scenes beyond the wall running at the start were good. The bar scene where the Major dodges bullets was probably the standout action sequence for me. It really shows that Motoko have moved beyond being human, being able to dodge bullets.

The tank was cool, although a little cheesy given the movement of the tank and its look. They could have improved that scene

The whole identity thing bothered me a little. I think that they could have left out the mother, especially since it does tie her to the old Motoko identity rather than as the Major.

I wish they had included Bato's comment about the Major's body sinking in water. It really spoke to the nature of the Major and her nature. They could have thrown in a few more lines that were similar to dialogue in the old movies, like with the garbage man and his imaginary kids.

In the end maybe I just prefer my transhumanist movies and tv shows to be a little more philosophical?

Agreed, I think after all the "ZOMG WHITEWASHING" hype dies down, the biggest downfall of the movie is that it just didn't go "deep"/subtle enough. I guess it's par for the course with big budget action films though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope this gets a sequel. For it's limitations it did poke and present a lot of interesting subjects but only the manga/anime can explore so in a sequel it'd be nice to do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the most subtle thing in the movie is all the weird poo poo that's going on in the holograms you see around the city. I guess I'll spoil it but at the end After Major has overcome her identity crisis as the camera moves through the streets there's a hologram of a female body builder lifting a weight over her head. I'd have to watch it again but the advertisements in the back ground are cool

I think when critics realize the whole film can be seen as someone trying to overcome body dysmorphia then it would have been more well received.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 2, 2017

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Ahhh I was trying to figure that out too, it seemed many of the advertisements were fitness related.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

I hope this gets a sequel. For it's limitations it did poke and present a lot of interesting subjects but only the manga/anime can explore so in a sequel it'd be nice to do.

The great thing about the premise is that if ScarJo asks for more money, they can simply recast her. It'll be like the Bond franchise, except there's an in-universe reason why there's a different actress playing her. Even the ad campaign was set around anyone could be Major.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I thought the movie was ok. I didn't really buy Johansson as a robot lady but she was better than I was expecting. Batou and Aramaki's anime hair looked kinda silly which pulled me out of the movie a bit, but I don't know if there was a perfect way to do that while still making the characters recognizable. On a technical level, I thought the movie looked great for the most part, but there were some CG shots (specifically the cars and any time The Major did some kind of superhuman jump) that looked like a video game. Takeshi Kitano and Michael Pitt were great. The corporate badguy was mostly forgettable, but I blame the script and not the actor for that. I thought the film lacked the subtlety and gravitas of the original, but for a hollywood adaptation it was significantly better than I was expecting.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 2, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pilou Asbęk was fantastic, and told a ton about Batou through his body language and simple movements. That pathetic shrug and "what else I got?" when he had his eyes replaced sold me on him more than anything Scarlet Jo did with Major. :v:

I want a ninety minute action film where he drinks beer, pets dogs and kicks tables into people.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
what's the run time?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Two hours, roughly.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Which interestingly, is 30 minutes shorter than the runtime the director was mentioning a few months ago. Trailers have several scenes not in the movie as well.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

poptart_fairy posted:

Pilou Asbęk was fantastic, and told a ton about Batou through his body language and simple movements. That pathetic shrug and "what else I got?" when he had his eyes replaced sold me on him more than anything Scarlet Jo did with Major. :v:

I want a ninety minute action film where he drinks beer, pets dogs and kicks tables into people.

That is if they do a remake of Innocence, though I doubt it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm a little skeptical of seeing any kind of sequel. But even if there is one, since the focus of Innocence revolves so much around him dealing with the Major's absence, this film didn't really lead into it.

I do want a sequel with more of this Section 9 though, as they're all great and don't have nearly enough screen time.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Junior Jr. posted:

The robot geisha at the start did say something weird like "please don't let me die" that seemed to hint at Innocence's plot.

But the way this movie's being received, I doubt it'll happen.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

I'm a little skeptical of seeing any kind of sequel. But even if there is one, since the focus of Innocence revolves so much around him dealing with the Major's absence, this film didn't really lead into it.

I do want a sequel with more of this Section 9 though, as they're all great and don't have nearly enough screen time.

I would be totally okay with a sequel that just does its own thing, really. Shouldn't force the source material onto it if it's not a good fit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was hoping for Tachimoka, at least in the post-credits stuff. :buddy:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I was thinking one of the virtues of '95 was that even though it is only 82 minutes, because it has only 3 major action scenes, it is really patient with them and gives every other scene room to tell a story. If this one is jam packed with action it loses that.

I will wait until I can get it on Blu-ray

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

If you really want to give the ideas room to breathe then a SAC miniseries would have been more appropriate.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

starkebn posted:

I was thinking one of the virtues of '95 was that even though it is only 82 minutes, because it has only 3 major action scenes, it is really patient with them and gives every other scene room to tell a story. If this one is jam packed with action it loses that.

I wouldn't say that this is jammed pack with action.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

starkebn posted:

I think that's the weirdest problem the movie has. It wants to be a real Ghost in the Shell property and includes detectivy and philosophical stuff, but not too much, since the original bored people too much! And it also wants to be a future weaponry combat thing, but couldn't include too much of that either (probably costs, but also to fit story in).

So as is, it sits somewhere between a well written brainfood movie, and an all-out action fest; without really commiting to fully satisfying either audience.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

I think that's the weirdest problem the movie has. It wants to be a real Ghost in the Shell property and includes detectivy and philosophical stuff, but not too much, since the original bored people too much! And it also wants to be a future weaponry combat thing, but couldn't include too much of that either (probably costs, but also to fit story in).

So as is, it sits somewhere between a well written brainfood movie, and an all-out action fest; without really commiting to fully satisfying either audience.

Really just symptomatic of the larger issue, the filmmakers played it too safe. You can look at every element and controversy with this film, such as the handling of casting Western actors to play Japanese roles to the pacing to the plot, and see they were too timid to either take a new approach or lavish copy the source material (be it the manga, the film, or the TV series).

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Man I was just thinking again at how great the set design was in the movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Man I was just thinking again at how great the set design was in the movie.

If you want to keep thinking that, whatever you do, don't click on this link to WETA's ArtStation page. And especially don't try comparing that work to their other work in the past.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Young Freud posted:

If you want to keep thinking that, whatever you do, don't click on this link to WETA's ArtStation page. And especially don't try comparing that work to their other work in the past.

????

It's all amazing work.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Young Freud posted:

Vast majority of the set design were from Masamune Shirow's manga, down to the watercolor palette.

Have you read the original manga?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Vast majority of the set design were from Masamune Shirow's manga, down to the watercolor palette.

Have you read the original manga?

Are you be facetious?

I won't get into it being nitpicky about the prop design, I've posted a hint over this in the Greenlit thread, but I think there wasn't a huge amount of effort put into their design compared to Elysium or Fury Road.

I'm also holding off seeing this movie, largely because I don't want to reward their horrible marketing campaign that actively drove me away with box office money. I wouldn't turn down a free ticket or show.

Anyway, doesn't look like I'll wait long. Box Office Mojo's estimates put GITS at $19 million for the three-day weekend, including the Thursday night showings, far under expectations. Of particular note...

quote:

In third is Paramount's Ghost in the Shell, which brought in an estimated $19 million from 3,440 theaters. This is below industry expectations and well below Mojo's weekend forecast. Opening day audiences gave the film a "B" CinemaScore and of that audience 61% were male versus 39% female. While speculation as to why Ghost in the Shell under performed is sure to be a topic du jour, the opening weekend demographics provide a quick and easy indicator when compared to Scarlett Johansson's previous solo actioner Lucy, which debuted with $43.8 million and featured an opening weekend audience that was 50% female.

Lucy was also an R-rated feature compared to Ghost in the Shell's PG-13 adding to a case that could be made suggesting the action genre may not have to depend as much on the more audience-friendly PG-13 rating. Recent films such as Lucy, Deadpool; John Wick and it's sequel and Logan (just to name a few) have proven there are more than enough moviegoers ready to fill the seats for well made, R-rated genre actioners. As a matter of comparison, not only will it be interesting to track the final results for Ghost in the Shell opposite Johansson's Lucy, but as well to the upcoming release of Atomic Blonde, a hard-R actioner led by Charlize Theron that has already wowed festival audiences and the CinemaCon crowd this past week ahead of its late July release.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
David Poland said it's up to international and Chinese sales to save the box office for the movie.

Bets on whether the movie will be received better or worse in East Asia?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Having seen GitS it is worth watching so go see it and the set and art design is great bringing the feel to reality. So neener.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Are you be facetious?

I won't get into it being nitpicky about the prop design, I've posted a hint over this in the Greenlit thread, but I think there wasn't a huge amount of effort put into their design compared to Elysium or Fury Road.

I'm also holding off seeing this movie, largely because I don't want to reward their horrible marketing campaign that actively drove me away with box office money. I wouldn't turn down a free ticket or show.

Anyway, doesn't look like I'll wait long. Box Office Mojo's estimates put GITS at $19 million for the three-day weekend, including the Thursday night showings, far under expectations. Of particular note...

Wait so you didn't even see it? Lol you doofus, the movie looks great. Definitely as nice as Elysium if not better IMO.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

This is below industry expectations and well below Mojo's weekend forecast.
Lol, did anyone think this movie would be a success?

E: Ah, they were going off the 62 metacritic score, from which it's now dropped to 53. This is some quality tea leaf reading with no analysis to water it down.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 2, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

Lol, did anyone think this movie would be a success?

E: Ah, they were going off the 62 metacritic score, from which it's now dropped to 53. This is some quality tea leaf reading with no analysis to water it down.

Nah, it's CinemaScore. But they did do some analysis that the audiences were 61% male to 39% female, compared to the 50% female audience to ScarJo's big solo hit Lucy.

It also had a 12% drop in ticket sales Saturday compared to Friday's numbers. That's rough, usually there's a slight drop, remains the same, or goes up slightly due to people having more time available to see a movie.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 2, 2017

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You posted a little too quickly, they said the 19 mio number was below their weekend forecast, and in the article about the weekend forecast they explain it resembles movies such and such and has a metacritic score of 62, so it should pull 30 mio.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ufarn posted:

Bets on whether the movie will be received better or worse in East Asia?

Better. As someone else said, this one will make bank in the not-US market.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Midjack posted:

Better. As someone else said, this one will make bank in the not-US market.

The big problem is that's not a guarantee. I forgot what property it was, maybe Speed Racer, 2014 Godzilla, or Edge Of Tomorrow, that they claimed it would do gangbusters there, but it ended up like a wet fart.

Edit: It was Edge Of Tomorrow. It surprisingly did more in China than in Japan, where "All You Need Is Kill" came from.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 2, 2017

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it doesn't matter how much this movie does or does not sell, it's still terrible

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I said this movie was Poo right after I saw it and now I will elaborate:

1. The Major character. I don't understand the movie character. She is not an experienced operator with years of military service and training behind her. She is a run-away "punk" who for some reason is entrusted with a top-of-the line synthetic body. I could assume that evilcorp in wiping her memories uploaded a whole bunch of training software that they somehow developed while still trying to make the initial hardware swap work. I could assume that the Major shakes, gasps, shivers, shifts balance in a completely human way because she is not skilled at her using robot body. I could assume that the Major doesn't really seem to know what she is doing at all because in one year she has been given a rank she hasn't earned and is part of a team that doesn't seem to work well together. They get along well enough and the team really doesn't seem to care at all that she is the first complete cyborg human. The only time her being a cyborg really comes in to play is that she is able to take a lot of damage while blundering from situation to situation.

2. Re-floater: The impact of the deep diving scene was that for all their strength and agility, they are still vulnerable.

3. Stripper pole fight scene: Stripper pole fight scene.

4. Ghost in the Shell to me is a philosophical tale wrapped in a detective novel. I found this rendition hollow, like it was missing its ghost.

Rebuttal: Tank Scene - Original movie: The Americans committed serious resources to their unauthorized action on "friendly" foreign soil. The tank didn't appear out of nowhere, it was stationed at a pre-planned rendezvous site. While fully prepared to engage if necessary, this was a clandestine operation and wouldn't have had any additional support resources/personnel. The Major uses hit and run tactics until the tank audibly exhausts it's ammo magazines. This is why it uses its manipulator arm to attempt to crush the Majors skull.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The original fight can also be dissected or interpreted in different ways. Namely the fight between the major in the tank as another bit of symbolism for the film. Like how the major, who is on the cusp of being an experimental next step in human evolution, dodges machine gun fire from the spider tank as it shreds a mural of mankind's tree of evolution. That's something for the view to sit on while the action is occurring. In this film it's just a cut and dry fight where the biggest question posed to audiences is "why doesn't he just shoot Hideo in the 30 seconds he has a clear and easy shot to do it in
And the 2017 film does show the spider tank before the last confrontation. it's in the corner of the frame when they're going to check out the geisha corpse.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

frank.club posted:

it doesn't matter how much this movie does or does not sell, it's still terrible

counterpoint

its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And I'm no joke, not messing around, reading the posts of everyone who says they like it and explains why they like it to see if there was something I missed. This movie is just so shallow, and even though I agree that there a lot of visuals that look cool it doesn't matter because it's "aesthetic" without meaning behind it. It's like a vaporwave music playlist with neon tinged nostalgic images.

• Locked thread