Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Jack2142 posted:

I liked Caustic it punished people who didn't know how to manage heat.

This is the reason I pick Caustic and Terra as often as possible, even though I hate the new Terra. The idiot pubbies are really easy to murder when they're all shut down every 8sec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
New Terra is loving awful (but still better than old Terra), but always vote Caustic. It's your duty.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Should I buy some MC to get like 10 mechbays or should I wait for a sale or something, if they even have those?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Should I buy some MC to get like 10 mechbays or should I wait for a sale or something, if they even have those?

They have MC sales during maybe 3 times a year, couple days each.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

MuffinsAndPie posted:

They also have 50% off Mech Bay sales once or twice a year.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll wait for now then.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Oh god. It happened. I ran out of beer while playing MWO. Please pray for me. I'm going in sober....

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Thanks for the tips, Cyrano, but you made a slight typo:

Cyrano4747 posted:

ok, this event is super easy.

To get the "use all your ammo" one load up your AC20 Urbanmech and go to town

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Caustic was beta for sure because I remember the Atlas bug happening on that map once.

Also, Caustic with the trial dragon and you would overheat using just a single Medium Laser.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Cyrano4747 posted:

I also got the "secret" thing. I don't know quite how I did it, but I think it's just completing everything else. I did nothing special except play until I got the others done. The secret prize is a "fool's warhorn" which is delightfully annoying.

I played 1 match last night (in the aforementioned 1K... has JJ's too, my bad) and got the secret achievement. Nothing else due to all my pubbies getting swarmed and murdered 30 seconds after initial contact. :saddowns:

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Then you got the most important prize of the event. That Fool's Warhorn is on the same tier as the Halloween Warhorn. I'm impressed that PGI gave one away for the event.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
You always know just what to say. :wookie:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Well dang.

If you dont have an urbanmech, which one is best to buy? I've needed to get one for a while now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TheParadigm posted:

Well dang.

If you dont have an urbanmech, which one is best to buy? I've needed to get one for a while now.

60L is supposedly the most tryhard one?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The 60l for pure lasers.

60 with 2 erll and 4 mg is also good and imo more fun.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yall are heathens, R63 4 lyfe

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
If you aren't running a stock engine with an AC20 then I don't know what the gently caress you are doing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Goast posted:

If you aren't running a stock engine with an AC20 then I don't know what the gently caress you are doing.

You can fit a STD100 with 21 shots, but otherwise this. I got every challenge but the UAV one done that way in my first match of the evening (solo killed a King Crab).

The UAV one is annoyingly luck-based and I probably won't bother with it, but on the other side it's really nice to have your team actually keeping an eye out for the little flying bastards for once.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
People ignore UAVs so often that you shouldn't have a problem shooting one down as an urbanmech, especially because you have arm weapons.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
Has anybody got the shotgun dad build handy? I'm dumb and can't figure it out.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

EduardoEspecial posted:

Has anybody got the shotgun dad build handy? I'm dumb and can't figure it out.

Shotgun Dad - this is the baseline one from MetaMechs. Customize to your liking.

Edit: Actually a Kodiak

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 2, 2017

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

That's not my real dad. :colbert:

I'm looking for the atlas build

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

EduardoEspecial posted:

That's not my real dad. :colbert:

I'm looking for the atlas build

My mistake - I don't know why I thought you were asking about a Kodiak.

Is this what you're looking for? Actual Shotgun Dad

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thats the first atlas I've seen that fits the 2 LBx AND a 350 std. Nooot bad. Armor seems a bit weak though. Like, on the legs. hows it play?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Nobody tries to leg an Atlas.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'd like a PM for the mumble info please. I'm still awful but at least now I know how UAMs work. Mostly.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Also slant almost all of your armor to the front in that atlas. If you're getting shot in the back often, get better at not standing there like a dweeb and getting shot in the back.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

Nobody tries to leg an Atlas.

I used to.

That's where the ammo is. :haw:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I instinctively aim for the legs on any assault running something that looks like a meta build. They almost never run leg armor and you can usually get a free ammo explosion kill. Worst case, they're out of the fight for the rest of the game.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheParadigm posted:

Thats the first atlas I've seen that fits the 2 LBx AND a 350 std. Nooot bad. Armor seems a bit weak though. Like, on the legs. hows it play?

It is good, fires faster than an ac-20, projectile velocity and optimal is better for tagging lights around if needed, more ammo per ton, and crit seeks like nobody's business, and the dispersal pattern doesn't matter at the ranges you should be using it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Are any of y'all new players

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Ardlen posted:

My mistake - I don't know why I thought you were asking about a Kodiak.

Is this what you're looking for? Actual Shotgun Dad

Yep, that's what I'm after. Thanks boss.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Grognan posted:

It is good, fires faster than an ac-20, projectile velocity and optimal is better for tagging lights around if needed, more ammo per ton, and crit seeks like nobody's business, and the dispersal pattern doesn't matter at the ranges you should be using it.

The problem is that fast firing does not favor the atlas. One of its biggest strengths is in being able to torso twist and shield with its arms in between the perfectly synced cooldown cycle of the AC/20 and the ASRM6s. Going to LBX10s weighs more, takes up more crit slots, and your SRMs and cannons are firing out of cooldown sync. You either have the option of not twisting, which means you're going to die like a big dumb idiot, or you are losing tons of firing time on your LBX10s while spreading damage like a motherfucker.

Stripping arm armor down to 20 on each means you have significantly less useful shield arms, which could have been an additional 96 armor that could've protected your torso, and the LBX means that you're missing out on two crit slots in the cannon torso that could've had ammo in them.

The extra 8 tons you sacrifice for having two LBX10s instead of an AC20 isn't worth it with all the flaws that come with it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Commoners posted:

The problem is that fast firing does not favor the atlas. One of its biggest strengths is in being able to torso twist and shield with its arms in between the perfectly synced cooldown cycle of the AC/20 and the ASRM6s. Going to LBX10s weighs more, takes up more crit slots, and your SRMs and cannons are firing out of cooldown sync. You either have the option of not twisting, which means you're going to die like a big dumb idiot, or you are losing tons of firing time on your LBX10s while spreading damage like a motherfucker.

Stripping arm armor down to 20 on each means you have significantly less useful shield arms, which could have been an additional 96 armor that could've protected your torso, and the LBX means that you're missing out on two crit slots in the cannon torso that could've had ammo in them.

The extra 8 tons you sacrifice for having two LBX10s instead of an AC20 isn't worth it with all the flaws that come with it.

I think if this build is paired with a traditional ghost dad build with this as the Number 2 in the push, it can be very effective. You'll be encountering mechs that have had armour removed or weakened, and you'll quickly find yourself in the 'wake' of the leading mech(s) where you can fire the lbx's while twisted, using them to good effect on mechs to your left or right.

The higher rate of fire can also help against lights.

The bad is both of these are situational, and need a team setup to make use of it. With the current tonnage limits, you can build more optimal teams out of a better mix of mechs that do the same roles for less weight.

P.S. if you pub drop this mech, setup firecontrol to precisely chain fire each weapon type, so you can be constantly pummelling something, blinding them and rocking them. Fun for messing around.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
lbx dads are especially pointless now that kodiaks exist

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

LBX Kodiaks are still fun. The explosions from point blank alphas make the game lag horribly for me though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm under no delusions that this is a good idea, but I can't get it out of my head...

A terrible, no good, very bad idea

Still, with a maxed out LB-2X cooldown module and maybe a range module for the SPLs...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Q_res posted:

I'm under no delusions that this is a good idea, but I can't get it out of my head...

Still, with a maxed out LB-2X cooldown module and maybe a range module for the SPLs...

HBRs are so fragile that there is no way on earth I would take one without the ECM torso.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Q_res posted:

If we're doing Bad Idea Mechs For Dumb Idiots, here is the LBX44 KDK3-

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=408&l=17afbcdfb8dd04dd9466f4b46d9ffe0768c086ae

I've used this twice and it was funny both times. The moment you see an enemy you start shooting at their cockpit with the LB2Xs to shake and blind them while you close in for the LB20Xs and the flamers. People will hide if you start plinking them from afar, because they think you're an actual good kodiak instead of a burning shitheap of a build.

It has limited ammo, it's slower than most kodiaks, you will still be a priority target, you can't really twist, and you have guns that don't sync up to fire.

If you DO manage to get to that point blank range against a lone mech, you will 100% win a duel if they do not disengage as long as you can actually hit your targets. If you can continually land your 2s on their cockpit it'll blind and panic most people, and they'll either stop fighting effectively or they'll ignore the heat buildup from your flamers and will shut down. There are only a few players in the game who will continue to function well against you at close range, and if you're fighting them you're unlikely to catch them in that situation anyway so it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are any of y'all new players

I am. Are you gonna buy me stuff?

• Locked thread