Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

cpaf posted:

I remember feeling extremely late to the party playing P3 & 4 in 2012, which was five goddamn years ago.

It's actually gonna be out in less than two days. Ridiculous

I played P3 in 2014 and P4 in 2015, so there's a first time for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I remember when Catherine came out 6 years ago and I thought "Oh cool that means they have the engine down I'm sure Persona 5 is right around the corner!"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

spit on my clit posted:

i hope this game brings back the same face-numbingly painful experiences that SMT 3 hard mode brought me minus mot & matador shenanigans. those were too much.

I don't because I don't like wiping despite having an incredible team and perfect strategy because Lucifer decided to get an extra turn off of a random crit

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

my copy shipped friday from a warehouse literally ten minutes from my house and now it's 200 miles away

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Preload has started on PSN

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DrManiac posted:

IV was good and Apocalypse is a more refined version (think the X-2 to final fantasy 10). You'll especially love it if you normally prefer persona to mainline SMT. Fair warning though, the final dungeon is hands down the worst in the entire series.
The somewhat....open world I guess? nature of SMT IV kinda worries me. That's a bad word for it, but the whole taking quests and exploring Tokyo feels like a sharp turn from the last SMT i played, Nocturne, where while it was open, you were really just looking for the next story beat. I'm also more of an SMT fan I think, though I really enjoy Persona as just anime comfort food

Also I had to do the final dungeon of SMT 2, Lucifer's Castle like four times so I'm excited to see what is worse than that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

littleorv posted:

Preload has started on PSN

Not for me (UK, but maybe I have a stupid playstation).

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not for me (UK, but maybe I have a stupid playstation).

Pretty sure it's NA only

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I bought a Vita to play P4: Golden... I think I'm gonna buy a PS4 to play Persona 5... The cycle continues.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Sorry if this was already discussed, but what's the difficulty like in this game? I saw enough of a preview video to know you can change at any time, so does it make sense to start on Hard if you're a series vet?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dackel posted:

Pretty sure it's NA only

As long as JP DLC is up nice and early on Tuesday, that's the only thing that matters to me, 'cos it's a tiny game overall, not a big deal to pre/download

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hocus Pocus posted:

I bought a Vita to play P4: Golden... I think I'm gonna buy a PS4 to play Persona 5... The cycle continues.

Is anyone here buying the PS3 version?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Hocus Pocus posted:

The PS4 is having a stand-out year so you should consider it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The PS4 might be having the strongest 6 months of any console ever. poo poo's bananas.

I think the ~1 month period where GTA: San Andreas, MGS3: Snake Eater and Half-Life 2 in 2004 might have it beat but only 2 of those were PS2 when they came out so it wasn't a batch of sick games on one console like Yakuza 0, Nioh, NieR and P5 is.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

And Berseria. I've been told that one's really good too. My backlog from the past 3 months will probably take until next year to clear at this rate... At least there aren't any good looking JRPGs coming out in the back half of this year that I can think of.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

CottonWolf posted:

And Berseria. I've been told that one's really good too. My backlog from the past 3 months will probably take until next year to clear at this rate... At least there aren't any good looking JRPGs coming out in the back half of this year that I can think of.

Only because E3 hasn't happened yet.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Harlock posted:

PS3 pleb, reporting in.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Announcing in June for a WW release in September/October isn't a feat that many games manage to pull off. That said, I continue to live in hope that Thirteen Sentinels hasn't been killed by Vanillaware and will find some way to release this year.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Have they said a single thing about 13 Sentinels since it was announced because whenever I look into it, all that ever comes back is the announce trailer?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Harlock posted:

Ayup. I'm sure not buying a PS4 just for this.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Harlock posted:

i bought the ps3 version and will likely buy a ps4 sometime at the end of the year and buy persona 5 again

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Harlock posted:

Hello, I am another PS3 person. Was planning initially on buying a PS4 when P5 came out since there'd be enough exclusive games out on PS4 at that point to make buying one worth it for me. But I've had no luck job-searching so I kind of don't have the money, and then I heard that the PS3 and PS4 versions were almost identical sans resolution, so there wasn't much point waiting.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Trip report after the first three hours: artwise, it feels more on the Catherine side of things, than P4&5. Maybe it's the colour palette, I dunno. It's great to have actual dungeons than randomly-generated hallways. You get rainbow coloured splashes behind you whenever you run though, which I've found distracting. Combat is what we've come to expect from the series, no real surprises there, other than the addition of guns. And the main character's starter Persona is Dark-aligned, which is different. I've only just got Sakamoto - sorry, Sukahmuto - on my team, but I can see a plot element or two that might ruffle some feathers (its all but stated so far that one of the teachers is outright abusing his female students and physically beating his male students). And the framing device is interesting, dropping a potential bombshell in the first five minutes of gameplay. I'll save that for those going in blind, but I can see it going places.

And so far, Morgana is less irritating than Teddie, yeah, that's right, I said it, what are you gonna do about it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And so far, Morgana is less irritating than Teddie, yeah, that's right, I said it, what are you gonna do about it?

I'm confused, are you seeing mass of people saying Teddie is less annoying?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

im going to be happy because teddie was easily the worst character in the video game persona 4

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

Yeah, but for some unknown reason you can't preorder and preload the PS3 version which is bullshit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's never been preordering for PS3 games on the store.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Have they said a single thing about 13 Sentinels since it was announced because whenever I look into it, all that ever comes back is the announce trailer?

Not a thing. I suspect it's been quietly killed.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I hope not because I was really looking forward to a modern day Vanillaware game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even though the premise didn't scream originality, more Vanillaware visual goodness is always good. Be a real shame if it's dead.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CottonWolf posted:

Not a thing. I suspect it's been quietly killed.

Vanillaware projects don't get killed. Dragon's Crown was announced like years before it actually came out and had almost no info dropped until its release year. Hell, we're in a thread for a game that people have known had a blueprint ready for its engine since 2011, got announced at the rear end end of 2013 and didn't get a real trailer until 2015 that showed the actual game. This same company just slapped together a teaser for a Switch game that isn't even gonna be ready for like three years. This is not an uncommon thing not is it a sign the game has been killed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VW aren't exactly a prolific company, they've done, what, five games in 10 years and one of those was a remake.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

The PS4 might be having the strongest 6 months of any console ever. poo poo's bananas.

I think the months right after Bioshock on the 360 were still the best a console has been. Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare, Rock Band, Mass Effect, GTA 4 etc all within a few months of each other.

To think that in just 24 hours I will be having an early evening power nap in order to play Persona 5 at midnight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

I think the months right after Bioshock on the 360 were still the best a console has been. Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare, Rock Band, Mass Effect, GTA 4 etc all within a few months of each other.
none of those games are good

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Captain Baal posted:

Vanillaware projects don't get killed. Dragon's Crown was announced like years before it actually came out and had almost no info dropped until its release year. Hell, we're in a thread for a game that people have known had a blueprint ready for its engine since 2011, got announced at the rear end end of 2013 and didn't get a real trailer until 2015 that showed the actual game. This same company just slapped together a teaser for a Switch game that isn't even gonna be ready for like three years. This is not an uncommon thing not is it a sign the game has been killed.

Hell, remember SMTxFE?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Endorph posted:

Literally of those were popular and good video games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

VW aren't exactly a prolific company, they've done, what, five games in 10 years and one of those was a remake.

8 games and the company literally started back in 2007 lol

2 were remastered though, but I feel like callin Odin sphere a simple remaster is disingenuous, that thing had a ton of work put into it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

Why do you fight everything

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

8 games and the company literally started back in 2007 lol

2 were remastered though, but I feel like callin Odin sphere a simple remaster is disingenuous, that thing had a ton of work put into it.

ODIN SPHERE: LEIFTHRASIR HELL YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think it might be safe to say that 2017 might be ps4's strongest year. Especially for exclusives.