Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

I really don't get the plan for LF and the Jays. Clearly to me, regardless of the fact they need a 2nd utility infielder, Upton is the best player they have for the position. He has a much better body of work of hitting than Carerra, runs better, fields better, more power, etc. He is a much better than defender and baserunner than Pearce, who should be mostly at 1b anyways and keep Smoak away from the lineup. And even if we did sign Pagan, he is only marginally a better hitter then the .250 20 or so HR you can expect for Upton, and Pagan is a worse baserunner and defender.

I don't get it at all, unless there is injury at play or Upton has told management he doesn't want to remain in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I just don't understand why you'd want to keep Goins on this team when you already have a slight upgrade with Barney.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Twin Cinema posted:

I just don't understand why you'd want to keep Goins on this team when you already have a slight upgrade with Barney.

You gotta figure both Tulo and Travis will spend time together on the DL.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

The NL West is also pretty strong. You've got the Dodgers who some are projecting to be a better team on paper than the Cubs, the Giants who aren't that far behind and have solidified the bullpen with Melancon, the Diamondbacks who will almost certainly perform better with a full year of Pollock + probable bounce back years from Grenkie and Miller, and the Rockies who are arguably ready to compete aside from their pitching, but something something Coors Field. Let's not talk about the Padres.

It's not just Greinke and Shelby that need to bounce back, it's the whole rotation. Patrick Corbin was a major disappointment coming back from TJS, Archie Bradley looked like a bust and is now in the bullpen, and their other prospect Braden Shipley was also bad and didn't make the team. I dunno if Arizona has the pitching to compete. A lot would have to go right. NL West looks a three-team race to me.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Because Atkins and Shapiro are really bad and dumb.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/848557771389714432

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Minor overpay (I'd call it $6M over what I'd consider reasonable) by one of the most profitable MLB franchises to keep a franchise icon and potential Hall of Famer in uniform for what may be the remainder of his career. I'm fine with it. Also, what aging process?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwwJu1ZQXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSUyZ1abatM

Carson Kelly is in no way ready for MLB pitching this year. The biggest risk in my mind is that Matheny refuses to taper off Yadi's games in year 3.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
putting aside the teams they won with, it's actually crazy awesome that all three Molina brothers got world series rings.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
*Awakes from 4 month slumber*

Could it be? Is it Opening Day?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

YeahTubaMike posted:

It has only just now occurred to me -- now that the thread is basically over -- to ask what the "C" in "C/V" stands for.

Same

patonthebach posted:

Prob Donaldson too, nevertheless starting the season with goins over upton seems a mistake

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

putting aside the teams they won with, it's actually crazy awesome that all three Molina brothers got world series rings.

What are some other MLB families that could match them in baseball? The Griffeys and the Fielders I guess, but didn't the Molinas' father actually die of a heart attack that he had on a baseball field that he built and tended for the neighborhood kids in Puerto Rico? That feels like something out of a Field of Dreams ripoff, not real life.

E: I'd never actually read Bengie's tribute to his dad.

http://bengiemolina.mlblogs.com/2008/11/17/tribute-to-benjamin-molina-my-father/

Shut up, I'm not crying. You're crying.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 2, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The Alous and the Alomars have got to be up there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Alous are a good one

Pancakes posted:

What are some other MLB families that could match them in baseball? The Griffeys and the Fielders I guess, but didn't the Molinas' father actually die of a heart attack that he had on a baseball field that he built and tended for the neighborhood kids in Puerto Rico? That feels like something out of a Field of Dreams ripoff, not real life.

The Ripkens? Boones maybe?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 2, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

The Alous and the Alomars have got to be up there.

The Alous are the only other trio of brothers to each at least APPEAR in a world series - Felipe and Matty appeared in 1962, Matty won in 1972, Jesus won in 1973 and 74.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

The Alous are the only other trio of brothers to each at least APPEAR in a world series - Felipe and Matty appeared in 1962, Matty won in 1972, Jesus won in 1973 and 74.

And Moises got a ring with the Marlins in 97.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
aaaaaahhhhhhhhh opening daaaaaayyyyyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y5AcCGpVC8

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Poque posted:

in 1963 all three Alou brothers were on the Giants and yes there was an All-Alou Outfield a couple times.

They also all batted in the same half-inning once.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sure it does. putting goins on waivers also means losing his versatility down the stretch. upton was a liability.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Versatility at what? Liability for what?

Goins is an all glove no hit mif, which the Jays have in Barney already, not to mention Petit, Diaz and Berti. Urena is even an option at some point if need be.

Meanwhile Upton hits LHP very well and can play all three OF positions and do so pretty well. Instead the Jays are going to rely on Pearce, who can't throw yet, and Carrera who stinks.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Goins is an all glove no hit mif, which the Jays have in Barney already, not to mention Petit, Diaz and Berti. Urena is even an option at some point if need be.

Meanwhile Upton hits LHP very well and can play all three OF positions and do so pretty well. Instead the Jays are going to rely on Pearce, who can't throw yet, and Carrera who stinks.

This is how I feel also.

Why have Goins when you have Barney, who is better. And now if Pearce can't play LF everyday, or if you want to play him at first, your only option is Carrera in left? That sounds bad.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

essentially infield versatility, they have barney to cover potential injuries or offdays and... that's it. outfield is less stacked in terms of talent but there's bodies there at least. If upton had brought down his SO % this spring he would have more of a case but he really didn't.

edit: and I think you guys are underselling goins defensive ability. I think he's one of the best in the league in the infield. I'm a goins fan I guess so probably doing some mental gymnastics to have it make sense to me :)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pearce can play 2B if he has to. Meanwhile its a bunch of garbage in the OF and if Pillar gets hurt, who plays CF?

And spring stats mean jack poo poo. A Coghlan/Upton platoon in LF with Pearce at 1B would be quite good and instead its going to be Carrera and Pearce while Smoak plays 1B and Goins is the best pinch hitter off the bench....

The roster management that Atkins/Shapiro have shown in the last two offseasons and springs has been atrocious.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The roster management that Atkins/Shapiro have shown in the last two offseasons and springs has been atrocious.

Again wishing to the baseball gods for a version of the Lakers guy gif except he's saying Rrrrrrrogers.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Tigers currently don't have a center fielder. Go get him. I want to collect all Uptons.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ice To Meet You posted:

Tigers currently don't have a center fielder. Go get him. I want to collect all Uptons.

Just think, you could be the 2015 Padres yourself!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Ammat, did you catch Flannery's really weird first dinger prediction on the Giants pregame? Or anyone watching the Giants pregame, really.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pearce can play 2B if he has to. Meanwhile its a bunch of garbage in the OF and if Pillar gets hurt, who plays CF?

And spring stats mean jack poo poo. A Coghlan/Upton platoon in LF with Pearce at 1B would be quite good and instead its going to be Carrera and Pearce while Smoak plays 1B and Goins is the best pinch hitter off the bench....

This post sings to my heart

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Just think, you could be the 2015 Padres yourself!

They didn't have the secret third Upton.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Ammat, did you catch Flannery's really weird first dinger prediction on the Giants pregame? Or anyone watching the Giants pregame, really.

No, what was it?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Ammat The Ankh posted:

No, what was it?

Crawford hits it into the Chase Field pool, "baptizing" it. It was fairly awkward.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Barry Bonds retired and took competent left field play with him

https://twitter.com/NBCSGiants/status/848638986306191360

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

Barry Bonds retired and took competent left field play with him

https://twitter.com/NBCSGiants/status/848638986306191360

Is the combined WAR of that list even positive? Yeesh

Also I'd give Bonds the job again in a heartbeat. He can't be worse than when he last played left field.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Popete posted:

*Awakes from 4 month slumber*

Could it be? Is it Opening Day?

No its 1 more day. Ignore today's games.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

New Concept Hole posted:

Is the combined WAR of that list even positive? Yeesh

Also I'd give Bonds the job again in a heartbeat. He can't be worse than when he last played left field.

pre:
Dave Roberts	-0.2
Fred Lewis	 1.3
Mark DeRosa	-0.7
Pat Burrell	 1.0
Aubrey Huff	 0.2
Andres Torres	-0.2
Michael Morse	 1.1
Nori Aoki	 1.0
Angel Pagan	 1.0
That sums to 4.5 or 0.5 WAR/season. Uh, not great.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Goins could be the greatest glove of all-time, but I don't think that'd be enough to justify his sub-.200 average in the line-up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Giants should put Bumgarner in LF on days he's not starting: defense can't be any worse than Pagan and MadBum can actually hit.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

patonthebach posted:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Prob Donaldson too

Donaldson doesn't do DL. Any injury less severe than actually having his legs severed from his torso, he'll just walk it off.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Giants should put Bumgarner in LF on days he's not starting: defense can't be any worse than Pagan and MadBum can actually hit.

Pagan isn't on the team anymore so I think he has a shot

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

shadok posted:

Donaldson doesn't do DL. Any injury less severe than actually having his legs severed from his torso, he'll just walk it off.

Yeah and this is why his performance suffered at various times last season. I'd honestly rather he accept that he's hurt every once in a while and let it recover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Fernando Rodney is awful and I don't know how he keeps getting work

• Locked thread