Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I honestly don't know why you'd want an inward opening door in a small space like a toilet anyway

I can't remember the last time i've seen an interior door that opened outwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I can't remember the last time i've seen an interior door that opened outwards

What? The bathroom in my house has 2 doors and they both open outwards. There'd be nowhere for them to go the other way round.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Typically in a house doors open into rooms because having an opaque door that opens out into a hallway is a recipe for people getting a door to the face, and is just generally annoying (since you can't leave a door open without blocking the hallway).

Sometimes there's an exception for the toilet if it's in a very small room, but if you have room to put a vanity in (so people can wash their hands before opening the door) you probably have room for the door to open inwards as well.

Or just use a sliding door.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

spankmeister posted:

I honestly don't know why you'd want an inward opening door in a small space like a toilet anyway
Someone's never had prank happy roommates who would take the door off the hinge while you're trying to take a poo poo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Segmentation Fox posted:

What? The bathroom in my house has 2 doors and they both open outwards. There'd be nowhere for them to go the other way round.

They should also open outward to help facilitate evacuation.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

MrYenko posted:

Steps one and three.

Step two is a door-less celebratory poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You say that like it's a normal thing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

This is what my upstairs looks like, its very difficult to close the bathroom door when you are inside of the bathroom.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Why the gently caress would you want doors opening INTO hallways/traffic areas?

The only doors I have to that open outward (in respect to being outside of the space they are a a door to), is to a utility closet with my water treatment stuff in it and my linen/towel closet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flosofl posted:

Why the gently caress would you want doors opening INTO hallways/traffic areas?

The only doors I have to that open outward (in respect to being outside of the space they are a a door to), is to a utility closet with my water treatment stuff in it and my linen/towel closet.

It's less than ideal but if your toilet is tiny then it's a better solution

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Decrepus posted:

Dude, if the door opening direction has an effect on your bowels I dont know what to tell you.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Decrepus posted:

Do you normally have stampedes of people trying to escape your toilet?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't notice the drop ceiling at first.

50/50 chance there's a camera up there.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FogHelmut posted:

This is what my upstairs looks like, its very difficult to close the bathroom door when you are inside of the bathroom.

Your house has separate rooms for the sink and terlet? That's weird.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GotLag posted:

Do you normally have stampedes of people trying to escape your toilet?

Don't you?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
No, they're locked in the basement.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I was in a bar not too long ago and needed to take a poo poo, so I walk into the men's bathroom, which had no lock, and no doorknob even, it was just push to open. Imagine my surprise when I find this situation.

Needless to say, I went to find another bathroom.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
pee pee poo poo

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Megabound posted:

Had some strange toilet placement in a hotel I stayed at recently

I had one like this in Italy, except the entire bathroom was the size of the space of the shower. I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how not to soak the entire bathroom trying to shower, then gave up and took a very awkward shower while dodging all the fixtures (nothing resembling a shower curtain).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

I can see the utility if you have a bunch of kids or whatever and one can poo poo/shower without monopolizing the sink.

I'm thinking of reversing the doors. Maybe eliminating the wall in the master bath.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

RyokoTK posted:

It's normal here (or at least very common) for houses that aren't shoebox apartments to have the toilet in one room and the sink/bath/shower in another.

Edit: that design is loving weird though,

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 2, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FogHelmut posted:

I can see the utility if you have a bunch of kids or whatever and one can poo poo/shower without monopolizing the sink.

I'm thinking of reversing the doors. Maybe eliminating the wall in the master bath.

My tiny apartment has a sliding door on the bathroom and it works really well. The door sort of disappears into the wall when it is open, so it takes up no space at all.

Like this.

The downside is you can't drive a nail through that part of the wall because the door is in there. And it's probably a bit of a pain to instal the kind that disappear into an existing wall, you'd have to tear out part of the wall and reframe it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

The door sort of disappears into the wall when it is open, so it takes up no space at all.

Like this.

Now I want a house with Star Trek doors.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
So how would fire code like those sliding doors? 'cause I thought one of the reasons doors had to open the way they did was "This is the side people are on if they're trying to leave, so if something's blocking the door they can push it out of the way"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Forer posted:

So how would fire code like those sliding doors? 'cause I thought one of the reasons doors had to open the way they did was "This is the side people are on if they're trying to leave, so if something's blocking the door they can push it out of the way"

Smash it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ uh yeah if you're in a firefighting situation who gives a poo poo at this point

it's a pocket door y'all they are everywhere. My apartment in NYC, land of the closest thing to a legitimate manifestation of idiots' fear of government overreach, has a pocket door for a bathroom. It rules. It also has pocket French doors for the dining room which also rule. Thick enough walls contain each that you can even mount stuff to them with tacks.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Forer posted:

I think that's only for the main egress path in public spaces.

Are you talking about equipment like crash bars?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But what if a cat gets stuck in your wall. It'll prevent the door from opening and you'll be trapped in the bathroom.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powershift posted:

But what if a cat gets stuck in your wall. It'll prevent the door from opening and you'll be trapped in the bathroom.

The door is bigger than the doorway. When the door is closed, there is still a bit of door stuck in the wall. The 'pocket' is never exposed for cat access.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Facebook Aunt posted:

My tiny apartment has a sliding door on the bathroom and it works really well. The door sort of disappears into the wall when it is open, so it takes up no space at all.

Like this.

The downside is you can't drive a nail through that part of the wall because the door is in there. And it's probably a bit of a pain to instal the kind that disappear into an existing wall, you'd have to tear out part of the wall and reframe it.

Yeah, this is my house, kind of. We have the Master Bedroom with it's own sink, then a normal door that opens inward, the terlet (COMPLETE WITH A GODDAMN SKYLIGHT), then a pocket door, and then the shower with two more sinks. Exit from that side is via a normal inward swinging door. So, when all the doors are open, you can pass from the Master Bedroom to the hallway unobstructed. If all, or any single door is closed, we have an alternate door in the Master Bedroom that bypasses the bathroom chain completely, leading to the main hallway.

And that's the newer half. The old 117 year old part has one bathroom, and two bedrooms. There are primary doors from the bedroom that lead to the main hallway. In addition, each of the two bedrooms are connected with a door (i.e. like some hotel rooms). I was told this was for servants to move from bedroom to bedroom without being seen in the main hallway. There are two additional bedrooms that don't have these doors, and due to the later addition one of the smaller, bedrooms is now a glorified hallway leading to the newer addition hallway.

The second floor of my house is a really cool logic puzzle. The first floor is more normal. My house is weird.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Buff Skeleton posted:

I think this is a great time to repost one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rq-R07VmlY

I legitimately thought they were speaking Dutch or something until I heard the "AH FER FUCKS SAKE!".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

^ uh yeah if you're in a firefighting situation who gives a poo poo at this point

it's a pocket door y'all they are everywhere.

My friend's place in Philly has a sliding bathroom door for the hall bathroom. But it's not a pocket door, it literally just hangs from a rail sticking a bit out from the wall and slides open. Sort of like a sliding closet door, except there's no bottom rail, so it just sort of flaps there, and at best there's like a 3/4" gap so it's awful for actual privacy. And there's no way to lock it. So it's great at parties.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Phanatic posted:

My friend's place in Philly has a sliding bathroom door for the hall bathroom. But it's not a pocket door, it literally just hangs from a rail sticking a bit out from the wall and slides open. Sort of like a sliding closet door, except there's no bottom rail, so it just sort of flaps there, and at best there's like a 3/4" gap so it's awful for actual privacy. And there's no way to lock it. So it's great at parties.

Interior barn doors can be done well with proper trim to fill the gap, but the no lock can still be a problem. But they really only fit in a ranch house or cabin.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/J5RE0RN.gifv

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

The door is bigger than the doorway. When the door is closed, there is still a bit of door stuck in the wall. The 'pocket' is never exposed for cat access.

No, but the can can just flatten itself out and squeeze through a crack into the wall.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

I think that's only for the main egress path in public spaces.

Are you talking about equipment like crash bars?

It depends on the occupant load and what the building is used for. For most residential stuff the code doesn't care.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

No, but the can can just flatten itself out and squeeze through a crack into the wall.

#flatcatfact

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
didn't mean "lol firefighters too stupid to smash doors!!!!", I meant if a person was in the bathroom and the door opened outwards, the hallrubble might block and be unable to be unblocked by the person who's trapped in the room.

Sliding door seems like it might have something get in the jam and then welp good luck hope you don't die of smoke inhalation by the time the firefighter gets in with an axe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In America, doors open inwards so it must be the worse option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phanatic posted:

It's super easy to install a lock on a sliding door. Any idiot can do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZAODzHv6vA