Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you want a skirmish game that's fun and tight and easy to get people who play 40k into you should play HoR Killteam. But there's a bunch of games that are easy to play with 40k miniatures and which 40k people may be interested in, Black Ops for one.

Yeah HoR Killteam is cool and good and the only thing I play anymore. And its still receiving regular updates! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah HoR Killteam is cool and good and the only thing I play anymore. And its still receiving regular updates! :)

I have Opinions about how the community is running it! :v:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Post them!

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know what's brewing in terms of community development, but HoR is responsible for getting a few friends and myself back into 40k (and drawing one into it for the first time). It's pretty much perfect: small scale, reasonably quick, lots of options for building your team and it's Warhammer 40,000 as opposed to some other setting. My only complaint is how initiative affects almost all vertical movement and how my poor friend's orks suffer because of it.

We have been skipping a few of the more fiddly rules however, like people being set on fire and plasma weapons exploding when they Get Hot, but I don't feel like they're not vital to the experience.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Would anyone be able to help me ID some blood bowl halflings (I think) I've got lying around before I go sell 'em? Figured you guys would be the ones who know.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

spectralent posted:

Would anyone be able to help me ID some blood bowl halflings (I think) I've got lying around before I go sell 'em? Figured you guys would be the ones who know.

Post 'em.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

Do you get to name your summoner(?) and the troopers?

It doesn't use the standard masters, you take a lesser guy and he leads your crew and can get upgrades. It also does stat tracking and permanent injury/conditions/upgrades as well. I never named any of my guys in Necromunda so I don't see how that's an issue here.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

...I never named any of my guys in Necromunda...

you monster :ohdear:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I never named any of my guys in Necromunda so I don't see how that's an issue here.

Found the foul xeno infiltrator

EDIT: to wash the taste of what the hell is wrong with you out of our mouths, lets look at the rules for Shadow Necromunda gangs that don't appear in the main box.

"Did you bring your Grey Knight Kill Team?"
"Yes, all five of them"

JcDent fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 1, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JcDent posted:

EDIT: to wash the taste of what the hell is wrong with you out of our mouths, lets look at the rules for Shadow Necromunda gangs that don't appear in the main box.

"Yes, all five of them"

They're basically Spyrers

enri
Dec 16, 2003

So, this shadow war lark... thought I'd have a quick Google to see if I could find a release date and end up on the GW site itself. 'Out of stock' and 'limited to 1 per customer'

Did I miss something? :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You missed the terrain set that everyone bought the box for.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The degree of scarcity for this release is daft. At one per customer Element and Dark Sphere were both sold out before their emails were sent. GW's site seems to indicate it was genuinely just a splash release.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Well that's retarded, the one big purchase I was very likely to give money to GW for and it's a limited edition :v:

Oh well. Back to my other pursuits :)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I believe they may have underestimated the sheer demand. It's not a splash release, or at least the Rules+Terrain box is.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Wayland Games still have some: http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/orks/42485-shadow-war-armageddon

Disclaimer: it's Wayland Games to they're probably lying about it being available and will cancel your order without warning once they realise they can't order it in. Order at your own risk.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

GW certainly GW'ed this up!

Though on the Facebook page they said they're "looking at ways to bring the game to people interested in it" so I suspect they'll either sell the rulebook separately or (much more unlikely) put it up as a PDF or something.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I think my FLGS got me one and I have no problem using a camera and an Imgur account to spread the love to my fellow goons when it arrives.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
They'll just sell the rules through iBooks, as usual.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

FrostyPox posted:

GW certainly GW'ed this up!

Though on the Facebook page they said they're "looking at ways to bring the game to people interested in it" so I suspect they'll either sell the rulebook separately or (much more unlikely) put it up as a PDF or something.

I guess this is a huge downside to keeping everything super secret until right before things go on sale. I assume the stock numbers were set in stone before anyone had a chance to see if their customers would be interested.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Having a marketing department would go a huge way towards preventing this.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Regardless, I certainly do hope they make the rules easily available soon. This is literally the first GW release in seven years I intend to pick up.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

JcDent posted:

"Yes, all five of them"

How are Tyranids changing their weapons, exactly? They always seemed pretty grown in to me.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 2, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This thread is probably my best bet for answering a couple of questions I have regarding the Necromunda/Shadow War ruleset so here goes.

Ammo rolls occur on 6's to hit. How does this interact with a 7+ (or worse) to hit? Would it be triggered by the first roll or would the second die need to roll a 6 as well?

Fighters in close combat alternate their attacks between their equipped melee weapons. This is covered in the rules, but not in much detail so I thought I would ask for some clarification here. Let's say a fighter is armed with a chainsword and bolt pistol and scores three hits against an opponent. Two are allocated to the chainsword and one to the bolt pistol. Does the bolt pistol use its ranged damage profile? Now that it is being used in close combat, would the bolt pistol's strength of 4 also modify armor or would only the normal -1 modifier apply?

Can ammo rolls be triggered by using a pistol in close combat? Technically, they don't roll to hit as with shooting so I don't think so, but wanted to ask for clarification.

Any information regarding these questions is appreciated. I've gone through a copy of the Necromunda rules and tried my hand at Google without much luck.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cassa posted:

How are Tyranids changing their weapons, exactly? They always seemed pretty grown in to me.

Most tyranid weapons are symbiotes that can be removed or adapted. There are exceptions (stuff that used to be biomorphic) but in general they can be removed.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Holy shite GW

https://www.facebook.com/219720111727104/photos/rpp.219720111727104/423909734641473/

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cassa posted:

Just grow new Tyranids, basically.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Edit: Really interested if they are only going to release full teams, or boosters as well. Say Skaven mutants, which are still missing from my collection.
Also need some extra catcher for my 3rd edition human team. Which makes me wonder what are considered classic teams? 3rd eidition? 4th? Will 5th be included?

Edit2: Quote is not Edit...

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

My bet is some or all of the blood bowl section on http://www.solegends.com/citcat2005ussc/index.htm. So the newer end of the old releases.

£30-40 a team, 6-8 a regular model (slightly cheaper if they add the team boosters rather than individual models) at least 12 each for big guys (and 20 for the death roller)

Or who knows? I want a lot of old blood bowl stuff, so my wallets probably going to take a big hit.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

This thread is probably my best bet for answering a couple of questions I have regarding the Necromunda/Shadow War ruleset so here goes.

Ammo rolls occur on 6's to hit. How does this interact with a 7+ (or worse) to hit? Would it be triggered by the first roll or would the second die need to roll a 6 as well?

Fighters in close combat alternate their attacks between their equipped melee weapons. This is covered in the rules, but not in much detail so I thought I would ask for some clarification here. Let's say a fighter is armed with a chainsword and bolt pistol and scores three hits against an opponent. Two are allocated to the chainsword and one to the bolt pistol. Does the bolt pistol use its ranged damage profile? Now that it is being used in close combat, would the bolt pistol's strength of 4 also modify armor or would only the normal -1 modifier apply?

Can ammo rolls be triggered by using a pistol in close combat? Technically, they don't roll to hit as with shooting so I don't think so, but wanted to ask for clarification.

Any information regarding these questions is appreciated. I've gone through a copy of the Necromunda rules and tried my hand at Google without much luck.

This is based on my knowledge of Necromunda so may be incorrect in minor details - although there is a very high degree of similarity as far as I can see so far.

Ammo rolls are not triggered by using pistols in hand to hand.

Your example of alternating hits with weapons is correct and the pistol uses all relevant stats when working out Strength and damage. The player whose model won the combat may choose which weapon 'leads'.

On 7s to hit the first 6 triggers the ammo roll regardless of whether the second roll succeeds or not.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

This is based on my knowledge of Necromunda so may be incorrect in minor details - although there is a very high degree of similarity as far as I can see so far.

Ammo rolls are not triggered by using pistols in hand to hand.

Your example of alternating hits with weapons is correct and the pistol uses all relevant stats when working out Strength and damage. The player whose model won the combat may choose which weapon 'leads'.

On 7s to hit the first 6 triggers the ammo roll regardless of whether the second roll succeeds or not.
Thanks. I figured that's how ammo rolls would work, but just wanted to check. I watched a short battle report earlier today and that's how they played it so that seems right.

Just to clarify one thing, a bolt pistol used in close combat would be S4 with an additional -1 modifier for a total of -2, right?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ah, Christ, I may end up :siren:giving GW money:siren: if I can get some Amazons for a vaguely reasonable price for conversions...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

Thanks. I figured that's how ammo rolls would work, but just wanted to check. I watched a short battle report earlier today and that's how they played it so that seems right.

Just to clarify one thing, a bolt pistol used in close combat would be S4 with an additional -1 modifier for a total of -2, right?

From what I remember of the old 40k close combat system, no you don't get the bonus armour modifier - are you clubbing them with it or shooting them with it? can't do both :D

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

Again, from Necro - no. A ranged weapon only uses its fixed armour modifier. The variable modifier based on Strength is only used with close combat weapons, not pistols. If you were shooting someone with that Bolt pistol it would only be -1 so that's what you would use when using it in CC.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

One of my friends on twitter is saying that shadow war is back up for pre-order on the UK site, I can't check to confirm at the moment as I'm at work :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
UK store is still showing "sold out."

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
So, in most cases it looks like an Avenger Shuriken Catapult, a "masterwork example" is just worse than a regular catapult. Same stats, except that the Avenger variant has +2"range, but no accuracy bonus for close range.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

So, in most cases it looks like an Avenger Shuriken Catapult, a "masterwork example" is just worse than a regular catapult. Same stats, except that the Avenger variant has +2"range, but no accuracy bonus for close range.

You've got your +1 - Eldar have already have a BS of 4 as base, which is higher than most basic troopers in the game. The weapon description states that the extended barrel is for range, not improved accuracy.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

berzerkmonkey posted:

You've got your +1 - Eldar have already have a BS of 4 as base, which is higher than most basic troopers in the game. The weapon description states that the extended barrel is for range, not improved accuracy.

An Eldar firing a Masterwork Example of a Shuriken Catapult hits on a 3+ at close range. An Eldar firing a regular Shurken Catapult hits on a 2+ at close range, but has a 2" shorter maximum range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

An Eldar firing a Masterwork Example of a Shuriken Catapult hits on a 3+ at close range. An Eldar firing a regular Shurken Catapult hits on a 2+ at close range, but has a 2" shorter maximum range

Right - the Avenger is a long rifle not made for close range. I assume it represents being better able to bring the normal, lighter shuriken catapult to bear faster, versus the longer, bulkier Avenger.

I'm just spitballin' here.

As it stands though, Eldar are going to tear poo poo up in this game, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.