Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

They weren't "playboys" but weren't Diniz and Rosset both from families that owned a bunch of poo poo in Brazil?

Diniz was definitely from a rich background, but by then rich playboys had turned into the less glamorous pay-driver. I can't think of a driver less "glamorous" than Ricardo Rosset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Would de Angelis count? He was like an aristocrat or something. Also really drat good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually forgot about de Angelis, yeah, actually now that I think of it, he sometimes gets the unofficial "last of the great playboy drivers" title in reviews of 80s F1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

fwiw the list I was using literally had guys like Eddie Irvine in it because they made a shitload of money investing in real estate post-F1, which, at that point, you kinda have to put the Pasta King in there.

My favorite Jaguar F1 fact is that for a while, Irvine's contract meant he was the highest paid employee of the Ford Motor Company.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

harperdc posted:

My favorite Jaguar F1 fact is that for a while, Irvine's contract meant he was the highest paid employee of the Ford Motor Company.

Even more fun apparently the Ford execs didn't know who he was

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Alain Post posted:

Also everyone should be required to use those old Simpson helmets which are demonstrably the coolest looking racing helmets ever made.

good god yes. I hope to buy a motorcycle within the next year and I am drat sure getting a Simpson M30 to ride with.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 2, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Same. I hate Nigel Mansell but unconditionally love Ferrari Nige

Il Leone and Nigel Mansell are totally different people.

I just remembered that I first got into Formula 1 because of a guy called Alan Post. He ripped off a 386 from my dad's old employer and preloaded it with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix when I was like 4. I've been hooked on F1 ever since then.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What would you pick as your helmet design?

Id have to buck the complex trend and just go one solid color, like Creamsicle-orange.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Flesh Croissant posted:

Id have to buck the complex trend and just go one solid color, like Creamsicle-orange.

A large brown trout

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Flesh Croissant posted:

Canadian flag with the maple leaf on top and the red bars on the side. Initials on the side and #13 in the middle of the leaf in black.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Moreover, when I win the Canadian grand prix I will take a massive Canadian flag with me and drape myself with it. During the national anthem I will step off the podium to the front of the barriers and loudly lead the crowd in singing the national anthem word-by-word and even the English-French mix version. Finally, during my podium interview and press conference I will pay tribute to Canada 1st before even more parents and literally cry for my nation of birth.

Finally, on the way out of the circuit I will get ambushed by Tony Montana and a chapter of the Sons of Odin who will kick my loving throat in for not being white and trying to proclaim myself Canadian. I will die with a Canadian passport in my right hand and my Canadian birth certificate in my left. I will be replaced by Lance Stroll.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Moreover, when I win the Canadian grand prix I will take a massive Canadian flag with me and drape myself with it. During the national anthem I will step off the podium to the front of the barriers and loudly lead the crowd in singing the national anthem word-by-word and even the English-French mix version. Finally, during my podium interview and press conference I will pay tribute to Canada 1st before even more parents and literally cry for my nation of birth.

Finally, on the way out of the circuit I will get ambushed by Tony Montana and a chapter of the Sons of Odin who will kick my loving throat in for not being white and trying to proclaim myself Canadian. I will die with a Canadian passport in my right hand and my Canadian birth certificate in my left. I will be replaced by Lance Stroll.

I would watch this movie.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Theophany posted:

I would watch this movie.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

:canada:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wirth1000 posted:

That was glorious.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Flesh Croissant posted:

Basically just Hakkinen's helmet, but more purple than blue.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

Canadian flag with the maple leaf on top and the red bars on the side. Initials on the side and #13 in the middle of the leaf in black.

I would use solid white with red speed arrows.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'd have a magpie on the back of my helmet because people in racing are really superstitious. (In the U.K. If you see a magpie you are supposed to say "Good morning Mr. Magpie. How is your lady wife today?" Because if you don't then it will curse you with bad luck and a death)

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

learnincurve posted:

I'd have a magpie on the back of my helmet because people in racing are really superstitious. (In the U.K. If you see a magpie you are supposed to say "Good morning Mr. Magpie. How is your lady wife today?" Because if you don't then it will curse you with bad luck and a death)

I hope there's another Brexit that takes Britain out of the solar system

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Uh.... wow. That escalated rather quickly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd have the Lauda air L but change it to light blue or something. Is there a place you can actually get this done? I'd probably do it for my next helmet if it was cheap enough

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd have the Lauda air L but change it to light blue or something. Is there a place you can actually get this done? I'd probably do it for my next helmet if it was cheap enough

You could just get Lauda Air Flight 004 on your helmet so you can traumatize Niki every time you walk by him in the pits.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bryter posted:

I hope there's another Brexit that takes Britain out of the solar system

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think I'd just use a beige helmet because I'm boring.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wirth1000 posted:

Uh.... wow. That escalated rather quickly.

Not to actually curse them mind, but it would be amusing for Lewis to keep on having to say it as he lapped me for the 14th time.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The crazy rear end helmets that motocross riders had in the '90s before Monster and Red Bull ruined them were the best.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ban Energy drinks like they banned tobacco. :colbert:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Has anyone done a helmet with pictures of people they admire? My helmet would have Lewis on the front, Theresa May and Margareth Thatcher on the sides, Winston Churchill on the back and the queen on the top.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

Has anyone done a helmet with pictures of people they admire? My helmet would have Lewis on the front, Theresa May and Margareth Thatcher on the sides, Winston Churchill on the back and the queen on the top.

Lewis has had Muhammad Ali and Ayrton Senna pictures on his helmet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Norns posted:

Ban Energy drinks like they banned tobacco. :colbert:

Better idea, allow any kind of adverts, but require the driver use a reasonable quantity of their sponsor's product during the race. You want to be sponsored by red bull or marlboro or johnnie walker, good luck.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

They drink something similar to red bull anyway, minus the caffeine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Khablam posted:

They drink something similar to red bull anyway, minus the caffeine.

Yeah, well you drive faster when you really have to pee, fill their drink thing with red bull.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Powershift posted:

Yeah, well you drive faster when you really have to pee, fill their drink thing with red bull.

They just pee, O'Leary. It's great to think that in glamorous Monaco right by the royal family when tehy're giving them the trophies that the drivers are all piss-stained and they stink of B.O. and piss.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

They just pee, O'Leary. It's great to think that in glamorous Monaco right by the royal family when tehy're giving them the trophies that the drivers are all piss-stained and they stink of B.O. and piss.

I'm not sure if you have ever worked out or sweat before. But generally you don't need to piss in the span of two hours while exerting yourself.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
To change the topic from smelly pissy things (F1) to something better, the formula e race yesterday was genuinely good in case anyone didn't know.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

To change the topic from smelly pissy things (F1) to something better, the formula e race yesterday was genuinely good in case anyone didn't know.

It's also only aired here on the french sports channel which costs extra money so it's still a dumb thing that doesn't matter to anybody.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I'm not sure if you have ever worked out or sweat before. But generally you don't need to piss in the span of two hours while exerting yourself.

It's insanely common knowledge that racing drivers piss themselves all the time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah in like endurance races. I find it suspect that we get a more than a couple dudes with piss pants on the podium in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Yeah in like endurance races. I find it suspect that we get a more than a couple dudes with piss pants on the podium in a year.

Well I agree that Stroll probably won't finish on the podium.

• Locked thread