Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Therefore:

???

I don't understand physics and math, and I admit it's weird that if you attach a measuring device to one of the slits the interference pattern is no longer displayed, but how do you get something as bizarre and anti-occam's razor as multiple universes from these double slit experiments and some math? Seems crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Sliders was a good show.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

good thread!!

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Bet you that's the only slit those nerds are shooting things into.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

DaveSplitter posted:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Thirsty Girl posted:

good thread!!

i didnt post this it might be from another universe

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Shooting at a double slit is my type of repeatable quest

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
infinite universes can't exist because otherwise we would have proof of their existence due to Sliders type people appearing at basically every possible moment in space time.

So either

1) Travel between universes is impossible
2) There are not infinite universes (Only one or just several)
3) We are one of the infinite universes where travel to our universe from other universes is impossible

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

There's an awful, stupid theory that a new universe is created whenever a quantum decision is forced, branching into multiple universes for each possible solution to the problem, and this derives from stupid people trying to reformulate quantum physics into something more comprehensible

No, it's just possible because the universe's lumpy nature suggests that early on after the big bang there might have been concentrations of energy so great that they caused additional big bangs, which of course suggests that our universe might have had the same genesis and the number of universes grows exponentially, but of course infinite universes can't exist from mere exponential growth

There's no actual evidence for this, nor any way to test for it in the near future

Another current theory derived from the lumpy nature of cosmic microwave background radiation is that the universe is actually a two-dimensional surface and the dimensions we experience, including time, are essentially a hologram of this surface, which strikes me as quite Platonic

IANAL except substitute physics for law

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 3, 2017

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Space Crabs posted:

infinite universes can't exist because otherwise we would have proof of their existence due to Sliders type people appearing at basically every possible moment in space time.

So either

1) Travel between universes is impossible
2) There are not infinite universes (Only one or just several)
3) We are one of the infinite universes where travel to our universe from other universes is impossible

4) Travel from other universes is possible but our universe is the shittiest one around so no one wants to come here.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kanthulhu posted:

4) Travel from other universes is possible but our universe is the shittiest one around so no one wants to come here.

Nah this theory doesn't work because you're basically saying we're the Iowa of universes and people actually go there all the time.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

DaveSplitter posted:

Nice

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

DaveSplitter posted:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

DaveSplitter posted:

what about the exit tray of the soda pop machine haha

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i like to think that time travel works but when you go back you stay in the same location so sure it's fifty years ago but fifty years ago the earth was somewhere else so now you're just floatin around in space and probably dead because you weren't prepared with a good space suit

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Kanthulhu posted:

Ours does have the lowest mortal level. Hopefully Goku and friends win the tournament so Zeno doesn't erase it.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

All I know about this stuff is that the guy from the band The Eels' dad came up with it

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i loving BLINKED and the 90s are over somehow, so time travel deffo exists

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the essential problem with the gold foil experiment is that scientists assumed the proton was very small in comparison to the atom based on probabilistic loss of the electron beam on a fluorescent screen. I think it has to do with the shape and orientation of the atom, rather than the size. I think what happens is that rather than missing the proton through empty space, the waveform ultimately finds occasional convergence at a uniform and observable rate because of the probabilistic alignment of the waveform of the proton with the particle beam. It's the angle of incidence, not random interactions with mass. The electrons simply find a bonded groundpath and seemingly disappear. If we ran the experiment today and measured the enthalpy of the system, we would see a slight temperature decrease in the gold foil, as some atoms bombarded by electrons reach absolute zero and quickly rebound from the heat of nearby touching atoms. :science:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hardawn posted:

Shooting at a double slit is my type of repeatable quest

Eh it's overrated

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Quantum entanglement with spooky action at a distance is where it's at.

Like I hear that it's bullshit but simultaneously not bullshit by different very smart people. Huge if true though

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I read this in that michael chriton time travel book

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
The thing that bugs me about quantum is that you can have this well of potential, right. Stick a particle at the bottom. Now this little poo poo has no way to climb this well, alright. It doesn't have it's climbing gear or ate it's Wheaties or gently caress whatever. Quantum theory states it can just pop outside this well. No explanation besides a half hearted shrug and a awkward laugh. loving bullshit.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Gonna shoot my particles at OPs double slit and see what happen

Brb

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nullEntityRNG posted:

The thing that bugs me about quantum is that you can have this well of potential, right. Stick a particle at the bottom. Now this little poo poo has no way to climb this well, alright. It doesn't have it's climbing gear or ate it's Wheaties or gently caress whatever. Quantum theory states it can just pop outside this well. No explanation besides a half hearted shrug and a awkward laugh. loving bullshit.

Sounds like what the world is like when you're driving drunk

So basically god is real and hes drunk? Makes a lot of sense, if you think about it

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nullEntityRNG posted:

There's no friction in the middle of the tube. No heat, no time. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Multiple universes is just an interpretation that attempts to explain away the weird issues at the core of quantum mechanics, and fails to do so. You can't actually travel to these so-call parallel universes. :shrug:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I think the essential problem with the gold foil experiment is that scientists assumed the proton was very small in comparison to the atom based on probabilistic loss of the electron beam on a fluorescent screen. I think it has to do with the shape and orientation of the atom, rather than the size. I think what happens is that rather than missing the proton through empty space, the waveform ultimately finds occasional convergence at a uniform and observable rate because of the probabilistic alignment of the waveform of the proton with the particle beam. It's the angle of incidence, not random interactions with mass. The electrons simply find a bonded groundpath and seemingly disappear. If we ran the experiment today and measured the enthalpy of the system, we would see a slight temperature decrease in the gold foil, as some atoms bombarded by electrons reach absolute zero and quickly rebound from the heat of nearby touching atoms. :science:

Dude, what?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Multiple universes is just an interpretation that attempts to explain away the weird issues at the core of quantum mechanics, and fails to do so. You can't actually travel to these so-call parallel universes. :shrug:

But what if I REALLY want to punch Hitler? :kiddo:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You can pay someone to dress up as Hitler and get punched. :ocelot:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
:science: frog have 2 vaginas but only half a dick

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's illegal to interact with World War 2, you might change history so Goku doesn't exist.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Nobody understands it OP thats why its notable also iy proves we are simply in a simulation. We are just breaking the physics engine when we gently caress around with this poo poo

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Godmode noclip allweapsunlocked~~``~

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Did they try iddqd asking for a friend

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
probably every story or idea ever thought of exists as it's own universe

probably every choice ever made like if some guy ordered the steak or the lobster on some random day, bam new universe

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The phasing of the azimuth of the proton (electron) essentially creates units of time as the waveform oscillates, so by projecting 2D light into 3D space you have to potential for an infinite number of information states. The idea that all changes in information state are ultimately resolved to a binary series of choices is bullshit. The information has literally and infinite number of potentialities, not 2.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hope I have sex again sometime in my lifetime.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

The Dennis System posted:

Therefore:

???

I don't understand physics and math, and I admit it's weird that if you attach a measuring device to one of the slits the interference pattern is no longer displayed, but how do you get something as bizarre and anti-occam's razor as multiple universes from these double slit experiments and some math? Seems crazy.

There are 4 types of multiverse.

Type 1: Space beyond our light horizon from which light will never be able to reach us due to the expansion of the universe. If space is infinite alternative yous would have to exist within some finite distance of yourself.
Type 2: Space well beyond our own region that underwent inflation in a different/way at a different time in its own big bang event. Maybe these exist, who knows. Also called bubble universes. They would have their own laws of physics.
Type 3: What you're talking about. A universe is created whenever a quantum even occurs. These probably don't exist, but who the gently caress knows and they make for cool 90s TV.
Type 4: Any mathematically valid object 'exists' somewhere, therefore any universe we can think of must 'exist' as well. What exist means in the previous sentence is up for debate. These probably don't exist either.

Oh, and for complicated reasons if any of these universes do exist the most statistically likely observer is observing the end civilization and possibly the universe. So you're probably living in the end of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

nullEntityRNG posted:

one reason it seems problematic is because you're trying to think in terms of particles and walls, but an electron is really not a particle and a potential barrier is really not a wall. your (correct) intuition for how particles behave is getting in the way of understanding what is really going on. it would be better to think in terms of voltage (of the applied potential barrier) and current (from electrons tunneling through the barrier).

ive spent a lot of time thinking about electrons in strongly quantum situations, and it's almost always more useful (and more correct) to think about them as being closer to a liquid than anything you'd call a 'particle',

• Locked thread