Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The Dark Id posted:

Unrelated: I was totally going to post this thread on April 1st originally. My wife talked me out of being a total fuckhead. :v:

Thanks Dark Id's Wife, I got a great birthday present because you said this.

Tae posted:

Literally any change from the originial is considered censorship and those people are rabid.

It's terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

Literally any change from the originial is considered censorship and those people are rabid.

I assume the "weird nerds" in this context are the ones complaining about how immersion-breaking having Nintendo 64s canonically exist in Nier's universe is. Or, alternatively,

HenryEx posted:

The description had some derision for this old piece of crappy obsolete hardware or something, and people were upset at this outrageous slander

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I assume the "weird nerds" in this context are the ones complaining about how immersion-breaking having Nintendo 64s canonically exist in Nier's universe is. Or, alternatively,

I mean, N64's did canonically exist in Nier's universe. Its explicitly our universe after Caim crashed into it in the mid-2000s in Drakengard Ending E and got shot down by a fighter jet over Tokyo.

That was a couple hundred years and multiple apocalypses ago at this point. :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I know, but weird nerds get angry over weird poo poo when it comes to the holy "immersion".

Either way, it's a shame they were removed because anything that makes nerds meta mad deserves to be left in.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Tae posted:

If changing Hitler into "Fuhrer" and giving him aviator sunglasses in the re-release of Persona 2 is wrong, I don't ever want to be right. :colbert:

e: for reference:

No, I'm my original character...

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 2, 2017

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

The controversy was from this item. It was just vendor trash you could get from fishing (there is an absurd amount of fishing vendor trash.) It's actually referencing the MIM-64 Mauler a SUPER early drone anti-aircraft system. Ya know... cuz of all the frikken robots. And this game kinda being a commentary on drone warfare being hosed. The item icon is literally a fuckin' rocket launcher... But, gamers assumed they were dunking on the precious the Nintendo 64 and got super mad because they're huge man-child dipshits. It's real dumb.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wouldn't patching that out be considered censorship in this case?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Dark Id posted:

The controversy was from this item. It was just vendor trash you could get from fishing (there is an absurd amount of fishing vendor trash.) It's actually referencing the MIM-64 Mauler a SUPER early drone anti-aircraft system. Ya know... cuz of all the frikken robots. And this game kinda being a commentary on drone warfare being hosed. The item icon is literally a fuckin' rocket launcher... But, gamers assumed they were dunking on the precious the Nintendo 64 and got super mad because they're huge man-child dipshits. It's real dumb.

Yet another reason Nintendo fanboys suck.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Justin_Brett posted:

Hypocrisy? From nerds?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Justin_Brett posted:

uhh its not censorship if i think that it should be taken out

stupid :pseudo:

The Dark Id posted:

Unrelated: I was totally going to post this thread on April 1st originally. My wife talked me out of being a total fuckhead. :v:

I have to admit, I checked the image file names to make sure that it was legit.

I wonder how many people know what I am referring to...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 2, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Dark Id posted:

That's frankly more than we deserve considering all the avatars, general dipshittery, and encouragement towards clearly harmful behavior like playing Dirge of Cerberus we've encouraged over the years.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

On the note of pickups: cutscenes cause pickups to go away.

That's range from annoying to quest-interrupting.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

The Dark Id posted:

This is so loving dumb it's hilarious.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Dark Id posted:

That's even dumber than I figured it would be. :allears:

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

The Dark Id posted:

That weapon reference is loving gold and gently caress people for getting upset about a coincidental name.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's going to be a real trip when we find out the fixed point lazer cannon was only aiming at our comrades who said Breath of the Wild was only a 9/10

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure it's more of an 8.8.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

That's obviously a Super Scope, so it was completely rude of squenix to do a double insult to my precious baby love of two generations of Nintendo.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

A Sinister Rap posted:

It's something Japanese studios do sometimes where they give they're games unique, sometimes nonsensical genre names to make their game stand out more. A recent example is Nintendo calling Breath of the Wild an "open-air adventure". "Character action game" is just one that stuck for Devil May Cry/Bayonetta-style games. "Survival horror" is another one that stuck, originating with Resident Evil.

I thought it came from YCS.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

I have to admit, I checked the image file names to make sure that it was legit.

I wonder how many people know what I am referring to...

ihateyouall.jpg

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, this should prove itself to be fascinating.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

No because "censorship" in video games is a dogwhistle for "changes I don't like."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

HenryEx posted:

Also, pre-emptively: please don't hint or nudge at the wording TDI chose in this update. You know what i mean.

As someone who's never played any of these games, and therefore hasn't picked up on whatever you're hinting at, can you (or TDI) be sure to revisit this when it isn't a spoiler and explain?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

:ughh:
This is so loving stupid it hurts the soul.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode IV: Engels

Music: Bipolar Nightmare

Welp. This is happening now. Buckle up because the rest of the prologue here uhh... escalates. One might say dramatically so.

No response from long-range communications.
Doesn’t matter. I’ll just take ‘em out.

Even however long in the future this game takes place, they never really locked down Codec frequencies getting jammed. All that high end text was lost long ago in the mythic time known only as the “‘80s”.

Marx fights about the same way it did the first time around. I mean... there’s only so much a giant buzzsaw can do, if you really get down to the heart of the matter. It can buzz horizontally and vertically... That’s kinda that’s physically going for a circular saw, no matter how big you make it. Maybe if the machines had some kinda Robot Master that could SHOOT the buzzsaws, then there might be a paradigm shift in saw offensive tech. Alas...

The primary issue this go around is that here are TWO building sized saws tearing up the place in 2B’s general direction and sometimes they get clever and roll in from opposite directions.

2B’s window for dodging the saw attacks are still ridiculously generous and can be chained by spamming the dodge until she’s successfully flipped to safety as much as about a half dozen times.

There’s an extremely brief window where i-frames end between dodges that it’s possible to get very unlucky with timing and take a hit. But it’s far less of a serious concern than you’d think. A direct hit from a saw only takes off about a fifth of 2B’s energy and we can immediately negate that with the smallest level of healing item.

Offensively, the tactics haven’t changed since the first Marx battle. After completing a saw assault, both of the Marx units will simmer down for a moment, giving 2B ample time to get some melee hits in while they rest up for the next wave of attacks. And that’s on top of concentrated Gatling fire from our Pod and the Laser program whenever we’ve got a decent shot.

We actually only have to get the two enemy units down to 50% HP for this fight. It’s possible to come back here at a way higher level and discover that health bar is just for show. This is a timed battle. :ssh:

Alright, so the buzzsaw carving up this bridge thing obviously isn’t working too hot guys. What’s the back-up plan here? Is it a third buzzsaw? Are you getting one more friend?

Music: ENDS

Uhh... come again?

Hey, that’s the platform we ran over and shot some birds off of earlier. Good times. Goddamn birds. So whatcha doing connecting to th—

OH FRICK!

New Music: Bipolar Nightmare (Vocal)
(You should listen to this. And most music.)

...THEY’VE GOT A METAL GEAR!?

Welp. This is happening now! Meet [REDACTED] the actual real deal boss of the Prologue and what 2B and her highly incompetent co-workers were here to destroy. As I said earlier, the game will eventually rather unceremoniously start translating the boss names. This one is Engels. As in Friedrich Engels, the co-author of the Communist Manifesto and Karl Marx’s number two dude. I mean technically, our goal was stated to seize the means of production from the machines in the facility. I suppose this naming scheme checks out.

Anyway, we’re now fighting a sentient oil rig with buzzsaws for arms. That’s not where I saw this mission going, but here we are...

Engels will use its newfound Marxist limbs in an attempt to crush 2B’s theories of surplus value. This comes in the form of a dual-arm strike which 2B is best off just hanging out in the middle of the platform to avoid. Turns out there’s a sizable physical gap in the middle of two pieces of heavy machinery being slammed down into a road. Who’d a thunk?

The communist doom bot can also release a volley of rocket artillery to pepper 2B’s position. I swear the hitboxes on these missiles are either broken or way more miniscule than their models. I’ve had them explode right next to 2B before and do absolutely no damage.

Unfortunately, we’ve not got a lot of options for taking on this angry oil rig. Unlike Marx, which farted around after attacking, Engels quickly recoils after buzzsaw attacks. And peppering the thing with our Pod’s gunfire is only doing so much when it’s an enemy a couple levels ahead of 2B.

Ah. Good timing. So did anyone at command tell you the machines had a Metal Gear? I think that should have been made clearer in the mission briefing.

2B opts to perform a sick dodge. Just to make it seem like she was getting somewhere in this fight and not basically firing a stapler gun at a bulldozer.

This is the target. I’m going to destroy it.
Uh... right. I’ll provide support!

9S is now providing back-up and will fire his aerial unit’s guns the same place 2B fires her Pod. Hmm. I mean... yeah, it’s a lot of 5s and 6s popping out of that thing’s face now. But is that the best you’ve got for help, kid?

Meanwhile, Engels has absolutely no interest in 9S’s intervention and keeps up the pressure on 2B. Not much more we can do than continuing to fire and get in the occasional close range swipe. Don’t worry! We’re definitely making progress.

Eventually, Engels decides it’s going for a swim. That usually doesn’t bode well...

Proposal: Evade.

Yeah! Thanks, Pod. I got that! I died on that stupid collapsing bridge with the helicopter like five times in Metal Gear Rising. I have no idea if failing to evade is an instant kill. Never tested it because... we still haven’t hit a save point. I don’t want to replay 20-30 minutes of this opening. I guarantee there’s a terrible at video games streamer out there that has long since solved this cryptic puzzle.

This revolution in science continues its assault on the bridge. Hey, 9S... Could you maybe chip in a little more? I feel like this fight isn’t going great... Don’t tell anyone. It’s almost entirely mechanically a timed scripted event. Still really rad!

The condition of the working class in England is not improved by Engels destroying this infrastructure like this. It can’t be helping the machines either. You’ve seen their tiny little baby legs! This is going to be terrible for their commute!

After a little bit more evading overhead strikes and the occasional missile, 9S decides to chime in again and do something. This better be good, kid!

What dummy put Wi-Fi into the missiles and didn’t set a secure password? Everything that happens now is entirely your fault, Engels. IT security is no laughing matter.

<! ! ! REVERSAL OF FORTUNE! ! !>

Huh... Nice work, 9S. You took it out! Well done...

...I cannot believe you frikked this so bad, 9S. :argh:

Welp. It’s hopeless. Nothing left for 2B to do but join her comrades in the CouldNotEvadeASlowMovingAttackWithLiterallySeveralSecondsofNotice Club.

On the one hand, you did Red Hot Kick that buzzsaw with a mech. On the other hand, you did get almost instantly owned. I’m gonna call this one a wash on your performance review, 9S...

We haven’t really had anything to gauge how well androids hold up from fall damage. He’s probably fine, right? That was only... what? A couple hundred foot drop. Tops.

On the bright side, Engels has managed to get tucked out from this whole mess and takes a nap right on the end of the factory bridge.

Music: Alien Manifestation (Vocal)

9S black box signal detected. No response to communications.
I’m going after him!

Alright, time for a rescue mission. It’s going to look really poor on our after-action report if literally the entire team dies on assignment. Unless 2B is secretly a sexy robot HUNK type character. :v:

Unfortunately, Engels naptime was VERY brief and it’s up and active again. I’m not sure if it knows we’re running around on its back. That’s got to feel gross if it does.

Negative. Communications have been jammed.

There are a few Stubby machines roaming around on Engel’s back now. I’m not even going to ask how they got on there. We don’t have time for this.

All the way to the top we go. It’s worth mentioning that 2B has retained Papa Nier's goofy ladder hopping fast climb technique from the first game. I was happy to see that dumb animation back.

Ouch... Turns out androids are terrible at handling fall damage. Good to know.

Machines, on the other hand, tank fall damage like champs. A set of stubby bots have seemingly been orbital dropped to 2B’s position to be a nuisance.

That’s cute you’re trying to defend the holy family here. But we do need to attend to 9S. He’s gonna need a green herb or two here. Outta the way!

*cough* *choke*
Pod, get me staunching gel and logic-virus vaccines. Then access the—

Dr. Pod 042’s diagnosis. Cut that there boy loose, girl. He done WAY too hosed up. You gotta Old Yeller his rear end, dawg.

*choke* *hack* 2B... Just go...
You shut up too!

These androids over here getting all sappy and emotion and Pod 042 is just shaking its head going “you know we’re still riding that giant robot, right?”

It ain’t got time for this poo poo. It’s gonna have to handle business itself.

HINT! HINT! said the robot internally as it slotted itself into the surprisingly intact war machine.

...All right.

Tune in next time when a battle android fights an alien AI controlled oil rig with a jet/mecha suit as NieR: Automata’s prologue comes to a close.

Video: Marx and Engels Boss Battle
(Watch this.)

9S Concept Art – Three belts on each of your boots. You androids grab those shoes from the Tetsuya Nomura Kingdom Hearts surplus supply?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 3, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Engels is also dutch for English
and thats not confusing me at all

also every game needs more giant robots
fact

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

He could've used those belts to extend his goofy shorts into some pants or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Somewhere in the middle of all this is when people who haven't caught on yet say "yup, this is a Platinum game." You know, if they can find time to say anything at all.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
During the demo, I had "Rules of Nature" playing in my head (and on my phone) during this fight.

Desire to forgo lack of funds to buy this game rising.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm definitely getting some Metal Gear Excelsus vibes from that dude's alternate squish attacks. It doesn't seem to have a pilot though so it can't really compete with Excelsus in terms of best boss fight. Still, A for effort there.

Oh, and speaking of Tetsuya Nomura Kingdom Hearts surplus supply, you ever finished going through darkness-sora-goofy-donald cutscene hell?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

bman in 2288 posted:

During the demo, I had "Rules of Nature" playing in my head (and on my phone) during this fight.

Desire to forgo lack of funds to buy this game rising.
Oh yeah, well, this is a Platinum game, so of course it will perfectly fit. I can even prove it, but it'll have to wait until next update.

This is the start of where i was kinda getting down on the game, paradoxically. I was kinda questioning the characterisation, cause it's really hammy and emotional, despite 2B meeting 9S all of twice, for a combined total of 40 seconds before, and you can probably count the number of lines they exchanged on two hands. And suddenly, she's all invested in this dopey blindfolded milquetoast of a teenaged gentleman-wannabe. Who's probably easily replaceable, because he's a goddamn android. And it'll get worse.

I wanted to say more on this, but any more will probably be spoilers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
And it'll take a real long time until i can comment on my thoughts at that time even if TDI brings out an update like, daily, man this is really tough

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
If you fail to avoid the attack from below, you can dodge the attack as engels bursts through the floor, but then you will fall out of bounds into the sea. The game treats falling into pits using zelda rules (respawn on land and take a small amount of damage)

Source: i got my mom to play this game. She doesn't normally play video games, so avoiding heavily telegraphed attacks is still a challenge for her. (Thank you auto chips)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Out of all the things I expected the first proper boss fight to be, it sure as hell wasn't a giant mech that used to be the better part of an oil refinery.

I'm also starting to think that Platinum could do some poo poo with the God of War license.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Abhorrence posted:

If you fail to avoid the attack from below, you can dodge the attack as engels bursts through the floor, but then you will fall out of bounds into the sea. The game treats falling into pits using zelda rules (respawn on land and take a small amount of damage)

It's also got a little bit of Mario Kart flair, what with Pod having to fish you out of whatever hole you fell into.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So the first boss is a transforming oil refinery/death robot. Am I the only one with this playing in my head now?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Woodbeam posted:

It's also got a little bit of Mario Kart flair, what with Pod having to fish you out of whatever hole you fell into.

Now I really want to see a NA playthrough with the pod reskinned as Lakitu. Maybe something that plays the Mario Kart "Final Lap" music as a stinger for each boss fight.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
On hard mode you can take 1 buzzsaw to the face if you have full HP. Again, don't play the prologue on hard, at least not on your first try. The next section can be even worse still on hard.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The Dark Id posted:

9S Concept Art – Three belts on each of your boots. You androids grab those shoes from the Tetsuya Nomura Kingdom Hearts surplus supply?

He probably covertly edits additional belts into the design documents of games he's not even involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I, uh, died to the double buzzsaws.

I might not be good at video games.

• Locked thread