Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Any good Ice Keese farming locations? There's a cluster of 6 just south of the Lanryu shrine, but I don't want to wait for 2 more blood moons to get 11 wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah for some reason they are nowhere near as ubiquitous in snowy areas as fire keese are at the volcano and electric keese are in the desert.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I found a lot more in the North West region.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If you ride your horse to the North Lomei Labyrinth and explore it on foot, your horse will still run to you if you whistle while inside... Impressive pathfinding!!

Also, in-game photography tip: do you want to photograph something but the area you're in has flat lighting? Light a bundle of wood on fire near the object for a beautiful yellow key light.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Sono posted:

Any good Ice Keese farming locations? There's a cluster of 6 just south of the Lanryu shrine, but I don't want to wait for 2 more blood moons to get 11 wings.

I've had good luck with Gerudo Highlands, and iirc there's a cave behind a bombable wall with a bunch of them. gently caress if I can remember which peak it was on though.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Runcible Cat posted:

Have you got the ones from the kid at the stable and whichever shrine it is?
who dis?

Sono posted:

I got my ice keese farming done in Hebra, specifically the northern mountainous region. Put your sensor on, obvs; I can't shake the suspicion that targeting an item with your sensor makes more of that thing spawn, as long as it is able to freely spawn.

When I first realized that I had a deficit of ice keese wings I went to that freezing cold lake in the starter plateau (only lake that cold in the game?) and threw wings into it, and then watched them sadly flop over the waterfall unchanged. It works for jellies! C'mon!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kid at one of the stables asks you show him/her how octo balloons work. One of the more westerly ones, I think.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah these giant cores are great and all but i have the hylian shield and like five savage lynel bows i'd really like small ancient cores for the armor

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I never noticed but the guardian weapons honk when you use them and the pitch changes depending on the size of the weapon :3:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Runcible Cat posted:

Kid at one of the stables asks you show him/her how octo balloons work. One of the more westerly ones, I think.

Oh poo poo I actually don't have this one. Will have to seek it out. Seriously, all I'm doing before I go to Hyrule castle is finishing this diamond circlet. I need one more sprit orb too but from what I understand there is one in Hyrule castle.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

parallelodad posted:

Oh poo poo I actually don't have this one. Will have to seek it out. Seriously, all I'm doing before I go to Hyrule castle is finishing this diamond circlet. I need one more sprit orb too but from what I understand there is one in Hyrule castle.

I think it's Outskirt Stable, but I'm only about 60% sure.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there a goddess statue in Hyrule castle anywhere?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
No but there's a shrine you can fast travel to and from.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

grilldos posted:

No but there's a shrine you can fast travel to and from.

Yeah that shrine holds my "last" spirit orb. Teleporting out and back in real quick breaks the drama just a little though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

parallelodad posted:

I've got 103 shrines now and when the shrine sensor goes off unexpectedly I'm like "what the gently caress? Can it be?"

Yeah sometimes the notice goes off and I seem to be getting close and then all of a sudden the sensor goes dark and I can't figure it out. I feel like depth perception on the sensor would be really helpful. Most of the time I mark it and come back later and stumble into the solution.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The Thyphlo Ruins shrine was amazing, just a drat shame all the torches go out once you enter the actual shrine so you can't continue exploring

I think my one big criticism of the game so far is that there needed to be more stuff like that and the labyrinths. I almost don't want to go to labyrinth island because then I won't have any left to explore.

Also what the hell Lynels, I'm in 3-star armor with 12 hearts and they're still almost one-shotting me :psyduck:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

parallelodad posted:

Yeah that shrine holds my "last" spirit orb. Teleporting out and back in real quick breaks the drama just a little though.

My dude you can pause in the middle of fighting Ganon to eat a chicken wing and drink a soda.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Icedude posted:

Also what the hell Lynels, I'm in 3-star armor with 12 hearts and they're still almost one-shotting me :psyduck:

The two handed wooden club with the prongs on the end is the highest attack weapon in the entire game.

Can anyone tip me off as to where to fish for stealthfin? They're clearly hiding from me.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DalaranJ posted:

Can anyone tip me off as to where to fish for stealthfin? They're clearly hiding from me.

The lake around Lost Woods. They glow in the dark too.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
So I finally got this today. I find myself wanting to avoid spoilers because running around and just exploring has been a lot of fun for the first few hours. So I just wanted to ask a simple question:

Do you just make elixirs at cooking spots? I haven't seen anything alchemy specific and I'm assuming it's just not there but I don't want to waste one of my fairly few materials finding out the hard way

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How much do those korok seeds take up of the completion percentage? I've got 85 shrines down so like, still a ton left to do, but I'm curious about how much those 900 seeds take up, since even after beating the game I'm at less than 25% :stare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ugato posted:

So I finally got this today. I find myself wanting to avoid spoilers because running around and just exploring has been a lot of fun for the first few hours. So I just wanted to ask a simple question:

Do you just make elixirs at cooking spots? I haven't seen anything alchemy specific and I'm assuming it's just not there but I don't want to waste one of my fairly few materials finding out the hard way

Yes, you just throw stuff into a cooking pot to make potions too. Just keep in mind that almost everything used for cooking isn't used to make potions, and vice versa. Mixing the two just results in failed dishes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

How much do those korok seeds take up of the completion percentage? I've got 85 shrines down so like, still a ton left to do, but I'm curious about how much those 900 seeds take up, since even after beating the game I'm at less than 25% :stare:

Something like 70%

The percentage number is just there to mock completionists

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Korok seeds take up like 70% of the markings on the map, which is what that percentage counts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ugato posted:

Critters (insect parts and the like) and monster parts make elixirs, meat and herbs and mushrooms and animals like fish and crabs make food dishes.

Personally I'm not really sure what the point of elixirs even is after 100 hours because foodstuff does the exact same thing, also gives you hearts, and is more plentiful all over.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

Critters (insect parts and the like) and monster parts make elixirs, meat and herbs and mushrooms and animals like fish and crabs make food dishes.

Personally I'm not really sure what the point of elixirs even is after 100 hours because foodstuff does the exact same thing, also gives you hearts, and is more plentiful all over.

Elixirs are almost exactly equivalent to food in nearly every respect, and should be treated as such. The only reason to make elixirs over food (or food over elixirs) is if you have elixir materials for X buff but not food materials, or vice versa.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Good to know, thanks! Seems I've got ~7% left to go before it's specifically hunting koroks which isn't something I never plan to do. Shrine hunting, quest doing and armor building should keep me entertained for a good long time, and then there's the hopeful quality DLC.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I needed to farm ancient gears so I finally went to the area around Hyrule Castle to find some guardians. Besides the fact that there are, in fact, a ton of guardians there, it's also just a really fantastically designed area. The absolute ruin of that area is a nice reminder of just how bleak this game's setting really is. I'm really enjoying just wandering around, I haven't even gone in the castle yet.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

Good to know, thanks! Seems I've got ~7% left to go before it's specifically hunting koroks which isn't something I never plan to do. Shrine hunting, quest doing and armor building should keep me entertained for a good long time, and then there's the hopeful quality DLC.

Well, keep in mid that while 72% is koroks, another 18% is just "all the names of places on the map". Shrines and dungeons are less than 10% of that counter haha

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
My only complaint about that is that other towns and such remain untouched. The Divine Beasts somehow rampaged and in 100 years places like Zora Domain, Kakariko, Hateno, Goron area all seem like nothing changed. In OoT everything went to poo poo fast in seven years

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Has anyone gotten the "Under the Red Moon"
Shrine quest after the recent patch? I can't seem to get a red moon. I ran around killing camps, Hinoxs, and Talus. I also tried bombing the group of bats near the altar daily.

I must of slept at least 100 nights in the game and still no moon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dizz posted:

My only complaint about that is that other towns and such remain untouched. The Divine Beasts somehow rampaged and in 100 years places like Zora Domain, Kakariko, Hateno, Goron area all seem like nothing changed. In OoT everything went to poo poo fast in seven years

OoT Hyrule seemed fine. All the buildings were intact. Kakariko was BIGGER than before. Lon Lon ranch had been converted to a successful business. The roads were all safer with now no Stalchilds or peahats, only ghosts that run away from you. The only real collateral were the Zora got frozen. The gorons also got kidnapped but that seems like it happened maybe a day before Link got there. I guess Ganon put a couple zombies in the plaza?

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Captain Invictus posted:

I have not done anything with the camera yet, anything insanely important it's for? Like I took a picture of a blupee for a quest but other than little stuff like that nothing.

The humble camera is probably one of the most useful tools in the game after you upgrade your Shiekah Sensor.

By default, the Shiekah Sensor looks for shrines. But once you upgrade it, it can also search for any item, animal, monster, weapon, or shield that you take a picture of and put in the Compendium. This is extremely handy for many reasons. It helps you find components for upgrading equipment, it lets you pinpoint high-value stuff like Rare Ore Deposits or Treasure Chests, it lets you find food if Link is low on health, it lets you track down common useful tools like Iron Sledgehammers/Lumber Axes/Torches/Korok Leaves when the situation requires it, it lets you locate specific enemies so you can avoid them (or charge at them, like I do), and after a prolonged archery battle it lets you find and collect all the arrows that were shot at you.

Harrow posted:

Here's a question for Twilight Princess: are the Twili supposed to be Gerudo? I'm guessing probably not, but, well, you only see one Gerudo in Twilight Princess (Ganondorf)...

Take a closer look at Telma next time you're in her bar.

parallelodad posted:

I can't get any star pieces! I just need one more for fully upgrading my diamond circlet. I've gone to dueling peaks and watched the sky, that worked three times. But ever since I go there every night and no star pieces drop. Phase of the moon doesn't matter. I've had them drop during every phase before and not drop at all during a full moon.

At the beginning of the night, save the game, close the game, reopen the game, load your save. That should reset the timer for spawning a star piece and force a new one to spawn that night. I did this 10+ times in a row when I needed to max out my amiibo armor set.

Also, go southeast to Lurelin Village and feed the dog there 5 pieces of food.

grilldos posted:

My dude you can pause in the middle of fighting Ganon to eat a chicken wing and drink a soda.

I AM HERE TO SLAY YOU GANON just let me slam this Dew first

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dizz posted:

I'm pretty sure the destruction was limited in its scale because Zelda restrained Ganon's power relatively quickly. Had she not returned to Hyrule Castle then the entire Kingdom would of been subject to Ganon's wrath. But by using her sealing power, she prevented his complete rebirth, which also seems to have caused the Guardians under his control to either fall dormant or assume routine patrols. The Divine Beasts weren't active during those 100 years; its repeatedly stated that they only began to function again recently, presumably because Ganon is close to regaining his true strength.

Not to say there aren't some pretty clear flaws in this world design. Like how the game says Eldin bridge being raised is keeping Rudania on top of Death Mountain. I'm not sure why the giant lava proof machine would need a bridge to cross a lava pool.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Not to say there aren't some pretty clear flaws in this world design. Like how the game says Eldin bridge being raised is keeping Rudania on top of Death Mountain. I'm not sure why the giant lava proof machine would need a bridge to cross a lava pool.

My assumption would be that it's the other way around, keeping whatever dumbass that was stupid enough to wander that far in the first place while ignoring the giant death machine on the volcano from getting any closer to it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure the destruction was limited in its scale because Zelda restrained Ganon's power relatively quickly. Had she not returned to Hyrule Castle then the entire Kingdom would of been subject to Ganon's wrath. But by using her sealing power, she prevented his complete rebirth, which also seems to have caused the Guardians under his control to either fall dormant or assume routine patrols. The Divine Beasts weren't active during those 100 years; its repeatedly stated that they only began to function again recently, presumably because Ganon is close to regaining his true strength.

Yeah the implication was that Zelda put the kibosh quickly on Calamity Ganon but was unable to stop the guardians who judging by the vast amount of ruins scattered throughout the world destroyed everything in their patrol path. People just decided to build away from the guardians or only the cities and settlements away from the patrol paths were spared

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Runcible Cat posted:

I think it's Outskirt Stable, but I'm only about 60% sure.

It's the Woodland Stable, not Outskirt.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

El Burbo posted:

Well, keep in mid that while 72% is koroks, another 18% is just "all the names of places on the map". Shrines and dungeons are less than 10% of that counter haha

Oh wow, I didn't realize location names were added in. Yeah getting 100% completion is just to drive people insane :lol:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh wow, I didn't realize location names were added in. Yeah getting 100% completion is just to drive people insane :lol:

Yeah, we didn't know that either until some dude ITT got 900 korok seeds and didn't have 100% completion yet. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So, this is anecdotal, but after the patch korok forest is basically fixed for me. The fps seem a little lower than normal but its definitely not teen levels anymore