Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I wasn't cleared by Trin but it was a purely personal message and Flesnolk's not a part of the game anymore anyways. If I overstepped, sorry, won't do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yes please, I have been at work all weekend with only occasional breaks to post inflammatory stuff in the mil hist thread and nonsense in here.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

There shouldn't be anyone there as long as the 25th stay to the right of blob, and there's a thin screen of infantry to the north stopping an immediate push south from targeting the guns until they can fire. I don't think you'll accidentally wander into the woods instead of stopping at the edge of it.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Even if you bump the 25th the worst that could happen surely is a stubbed toe.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 2, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AbortRetryFail posted:

Even if you bump the 25th the worst that could happen surely is a stubbed toe.

It's not the 25th I'm worried about them bumping into.

I'll start making orders in 10 minutes.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Use whatever landmarks you feel necessary to minimise the chance of guns back-pedalling into forget de effyaders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Move artillery forward while the enemy is attacking, put them out of range of the currently planned enemy attack, and then use them to block our infantry's line of fire just in case the enemy decides to make a detour. Jawohl, herr general.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Coordinating with Mon Pere on roll20 to build a plan with hopefully minimal chances of going Charge of the Light Brigade with our artillery.

E: In the absence of new orders, the 25th continuing with their unfinished orders from last turn should be fine. We can work out a plan to relieve the ambush infantry at dawn. During the day it's 12" sightlines for spotting infantry and there's no hills within spotting range so they should still be safe where they are.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 2, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:siren:Emergency orders for Lenoon's (7th Division) artillery:siren:

Go here and unlimber.

Try not to get lost on the way, and shoot any enemies you see.

Keep standing orders as is.

Minor change to standing orders: Provide fire support to the 25th, they take priority over all other fire missions. Won't matter until they get ammo, but could matter once they do.

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 2, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The artillery should be able to direct fire 18" should it not when they fire on the abandoned infantry? They're not doing any good where they are since they can't see out of the valley as far as I understand it.

Edit: that looks about right.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AbortRetryFail posted:

The artillery should be able to direct fire 18" should it not when they fire on the abandoned infantry? They're not doing any good where they are since they can't see out of the valley as far as I understand it.

Order of fire says no. Artillery shoots first. Infantry shoots last. Lines of sight reset each round.

They absolutely shouldn't stay where they are because they're up my infantry's rear end, but there are other places in which they shouldn't be even more.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

my dad posted:

Order of fire says no. Artillery shoots first. Infantry shoots last. Lines of sight reset each round.

Oh. Well that's not good.

I am open to suggestions on alternate longer term placement for supporting fire at 0800 / emergency direct fire wall if you have any ideas.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 2, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
:siren:25th Brigade:siren:

Alright lads, quit lollygagging around and we're going to shuffle on over here. You can sleep when the war's over.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 2, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AbortRetryFail posted:

I am open to suggestions on alternate longer term placement for supporting fire at 0800 / emergency direct fire wall if you have any ideas.

I'll include them giving fire support to the 25th if you want. It should stick by dawn. I don't think we have the time for anything more complex than that right now.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

my dad posted:

I'll include them giving fire support to the 25th if you want. It should stick by dawn.

Sure.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

:siren: The adjudication begins...

:munch:

One way or the other, this is likely to be the most important set of turns so far in this game.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:f5:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm waiting for the results of this round, and for the results of the presidential elections in my country. I wonder which will arrive first, and which will make me more depressed. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

I'm waiting for the results of this round, and for the results of the presidential elections in my country. I wonder which will arrive first, and which will make me more depressed. :v:

Which are you more invested in?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

Which are you more invested in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdqiTlLScYY

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, looks like I'll have at least one reason to be depressed tonight. :smithicide:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I do not get the context at all. I'd be interested to have an idea.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

I do not get the context at all. I'd be interested to have an idea.

Lyrics translation:

You're reading my palm,
You say you are amazed,
For it is clear as day,
That my lifeline is long.

But I'm being sent to a war,
The horror and the terror,
And if they snap my neck,
My lifeline's gonna get shorter.

I'd like to sing some more,
For I have but one life,
And I care about it,
It matters to me.

I know nobody there,
Neither theirs or ours,
They tell me to just shoot,
But I don't know whom.

They push me in the line,
They're being quite insistent,
I'm not a man, I'm a number,
And I do as I'm ordered.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

AbortRetryFail posted:

Would you like a retreat order 1-2 turns before dawn to avoid getting spotted in daylight and have to fire a bullet, fatiguing you again? Or do you feel you are going to be safe enough to retreat move at 0800?

I'm fine with both of these.

In the grand scheme of things we don't have enough units to allow me to sit out an entire day to lose a fatigue chit. Watching the south frees up the rest of our forces to deal with the Effyaders cauldron, and in a worst case scenario I can buy enough time for sullat to shift south and deal with German flankers.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

After dawn I'm predicting as soon as a German brigade finds you, you get nuked next turn by all the guns and rout / all die. That's a pretty big waste of guys.

If you could be in a slightly further back position on the less active front you might get a day off, or if not won't be the main target and provide supporting rifle fire to a full strength brigade.

Alternate response: Please don't leave me alone with just the artillery. :(

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 2, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It should be safe (or should have been safe, I guess? :ohdear:)to leave them across the river until dawn, though. At which point we'll have a better idea of what's going on in the cauldron and what our defensive priorities will be.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

My point is that while it should be, it's just rolling the dice to see if they fire a shot as they are leaving for no reason, due to the increased viewing distance. If that happens we just retreated a bunch of dudes who won't lose fatigue for 2 days+

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
We can tell them told fire while re-positioning in their next lot of orders, then.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Let's just see what happens, I've argued this a few times now and it's getting tedious and definitely isn't useful conversation.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0LYNaN_6Ac

Day 3, Turn 4
German initiative

Time for 7th Division's guns to move again.

One of your companies out on the road takes indirect fire. A lot more of it comes over, but nowhere near you.

8th Division's guns begin spending their ammunition.

Day 3, Turn 5
German initiative

The 7th Division's guns settle down into place again.

The 25th approaches its assigned spot, and watches from the forest as some indirect fire lands in its trenches. Still, orders is orders...

Your company on the road rallies, and is then promptly suppressed again. Good thing they rallied from suppression!

Day 3, Turn 6
German initiative

The 25th does its duty and gets in the trench.

More fire lands on its head. It also seems that the Germans are shelling the barbed wire in front of the fords.

You've also completed some fine erections.

Day 3, Turn 7
British initiative

The enemy's fire switches its pattern, and will continue targeting these locations all night; two spots at the base of each of the trenches connecting Blob to the Effyaders Road, two spots in Trench J (one halfway up that's occupied, one on the corner which isn't), and one about 2.5 inches south in Trench L. You can also observe, just about, that they're mercilessly pasting the barbed wire you laid in front of the fords.

This could be a long night. On the bright side, your men in the forward finger can see this.

Those are the guns which appear to be firing at you.

Day 3, Turn 8
British initiative

Same story.

Here we begin to see the value of trenches; you're pretty sure that you'd have lost at least one company by now. Shells that would have killed your men in the open are only suppressing them; shells that would have suppressed them in the open are having no effect.

Day 3, Turn 9
British initiative

Something new happens!

These guns appear to be firing directly ahead of them. By a staggering coincidence, this happens.

It's not good, but bad as it is, you're quite certain that at least half the brigade would have been suppressed or killed by these guns if not for their trenches. Again, this fire pattern continues all night. Down south...

If you can keep rallying, your men are confident that they can take this all night.

Day 3, Turn 10
British initiative

Rally, resuppressed; rally, resuppressed.

Day 3, Turn 11
German initiative

The pasting continues.

The wire behind 20th Division is now passable to both sides.

Day 3, Turn 12
German initiative

By the way, the screenshot's gone missing, but your modern Major-General has found his assigned position hiding in Ferme Chatte. He sees nothing all night, unsurprisingly, but there is one point at which he thinks he might have heard a horse and cart towing something very heavy.

Day 3, Turn 13
German initiative

Apparently I forgot the southern screenshots this turn.

I did get you before-and-after of the North, before and after rallying.

Day 3, Turn 14
German initiative

The Southern artillery fire is still in the same place, and still can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. They're still spending a lot of shots flattening the wire, mind.

Day 3, Turn 15
British initiative

The 23rd is finally beginning to get worn down some, but without that trench I'm pretty sure it would at least have had to make a morale check by now.

An overcast day then dawns. Before full daylight, just as a reminder, you spotted this (image zoomed to 75%). These guns appeared to be firing south-west of themselves.

And these guns appeared to be firing due west (75%).

And you now get an overview.

It is 0800 on Day 3; you are back on daylight spotting rules. 20th Brigade is now on 2 fatigue points. 25th and 23rd Brigades are now on 1 fatigue point. 24th Brigade has 0 fatigue points.

Your engineers gain 3" of wire each. You have two horse engineers each with 6" of wire; the foot engineer who is preparing to demolish a bridge has 1" of wire; the foot engineers in the Vallee have 9" of wire.

You may deploy the spotter plane. Conditions for flying are difficult, but not yet impossible.

Both your artillery brigades are given 12 indirect fire missions, and warned that shell supplies are running short.

:siren: The soft deadline is 5 April, 5pm GMT. 8-turn update.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

First things first, lets try to place the arty on the map.

Second, figure out where they are firing, and what they are trying to accomplish.

Heres what it looks like to me.

... I think our misinformation is working, because I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish here :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 3, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Lenoon. Your time is now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, the brigades lost in the forest are probably resting. As best as they can, did we drop fire on them? They've got a nice gun line right next to the middle river, too, so if we want to do counterbattery fire, that would be a good spot to do it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

sullat posted:

Well, the brigades lost in the forest are probably resting. As best as they can, did we drop fire on them? They've got a nice gun line right next to the middle river, too, so if we want to do counterbattery fire, that would be a good spot to do it.

Hopefully we dropped some barrages on them before they got trenches up...which based on Trin's comments would be exceptionally bad for their health.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Also, I appear to have gained 5 companies in the night - send my thanks to Corps HQ for the much needed reinforcements!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So right now we should send Bacarruda to La Dand to mess with their ability to continue the attack and/or win. We should also do our best to break their heavy guns. If both those are success then we should be able to roughly keep this position.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Hunt11 posted:

So right now we should send Bacarruda to La Dand to mess with their ability to continue the attack and/or win. We should also do our best to break their heavy guns. If both those are success then we should be able to roughly keep this position.

We should send him off to separate the head of the German Corp commander. That'll teach the Huns a lesson.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah, at this point I think we can just play it conservative and take advantage of their mistakes. Peel off some units, mess with their HQ.

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Contain Effyanders
Hit targets of opportunity
Adjust positioning to reduce casualties
Conserve troop numbers