Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ixjuvin posted:

Oh gently caress No one stops

no there's just, it's something in my eye, shut up

People really should play the original Nier, it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dias posted:

i feel like it'd be a really hard game for some people to go back to after automata but yeah if they can accept that its an older, much clunkier game its totally worth playing

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't realize Nier was a thing, I just heard "Nier: Automata is a really good game you should play" so I did

and then after Ending E I went back and mainlined TDI's Drakengard/Nier LPs

I'd say "Now I feel like I need to go back through NA and catch all the things I missed" but TDI's doing NA so I'll probably just let him deal with speed star and all weapons upgraded for me :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

polish sausage posted:

My favorite thing about those two endings is that A2 beat 9S sound and clean while on the flipside, 9S only wins because 2B's promise made A2 hesitate and even then 9S just bumblefucks his way into getting brutally impaled by A2's sword.

That was great too. I was wondering how they'd spin 9S "winning" that fight and the answer made me laugh.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Well that's route C. Time to take a break and then hit the wiki I guess. I love that 'Romeos and Juliets' turns out to be super, super relevant actually

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Is there any way to buy simple gadgets?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Storm One posted:

Is there any way to buy simple gadgets?

ha

haha

hahhahah

hahhahhahha

ahhahaHAHHHAAAHHAHAAA

no

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ixjuvin posted:

Well that's route C. Time to take a break and then hit the wiki I guess. I love that 'Romeos and Juliets' turns out to be super, super relevant actually

The foolish machine quest in Pascal's village as well, once you realise the machines are far, far smarter than anyone suspected

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

ha

haha

hahhahah

hahhahhahha

ahhahaHAHHHAAAHHAHAAA

no

Have fun with the Elaborate gadgets too. Though I guess some quest gives you five of them. You'll need to get your enemy list up to 95% so have fun.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

8-Bit Scholar posted:

VERY ANGRY gently caress me gently caress you gently caress this.
hard mode is a great difficulty because it gives us baby meltdown posts like this

also i'm eternally tempted to tell everyone about petting the pod because it's literally impossible to find if you're playing with a controller on pc, but a lot of my friends consider that stuff spoiler-y. Their loss :twisted:

Dias posted:

I said i'd never bother but if i see another handful of adorable Yoko Taro interviews i might just do it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm just kinda curious if anyone else has the same reaction to this game (endings A-E) that I had. (Also some side quest spoilers so make sure you did those.)
Because I hyped myself up so much to be sad, I ended up actually not really feeling anything special for this game's plot. I got more emotional at the moments when the music and the boss's actions synced up, more emotional at the credits sequence asking for help, than I did over 2B and 9S's relationship, or the fact that pretty much everyone dies except some pods and maybe a rebuilt 2B/9S. Like, at the end of the day, knowing 2B is supposed to execute 9S every time he gets too smart, knowing all the peaceful robots died and I left Pascal behind with his memories (I am so cruel,) knowing (easy guess) that all the humans are actually dead, knowing the aliens died to their robots ages ago..... I don't know man. It's like, so much time spans between all the major events of the historical plot that I just can't end up caring about anything in this game's plot. I had more reaction out of the twists that sideplots gave (girl on the station being happy her friend died, robot asking you to kill forest folks because they shunned his way of talking) than I did from any of the major plot points. I'm not sure if it's because the plot points are just too predictable or if I was too guarded for this game.

Aside from that, did anyone else notice how doll-like 9S's face looks when he has his blindfold off? Really hits home that these are just androids, not humans. Probably all the more reason I can't care about them?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 2, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I bought the game on PC and it just crashes at launch. No error codes, nothing. So Nier and yet so far. :(

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I bought the game on PC and it just crashes at launch. No error codes, nothing. So Nier and yet so far. :(

Try updating your video card drivers? It didn't react well to older nVidia drivers when I first booted it up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tarezax posted:

Try updating your video card drivers? It didn't react well to older nVidia drivers when I first booted it up.

All on the latest, same with windows. Plus its an issue that I can't find any other solutions for than all of the ones that I've tried. Maybe it'll just fix itself over time?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DaveKap posted:

I'm just kinda curious if anyone else has the same reaction to this game (endings A-E) that I had. (Also some side quest spoilers so make sure you did those.)
Because I hyped myself up so much to be sad, I ended up actually not really feeling anything special for this game's plot. I got more emotional at the moments when the music and the boss's actions synced up, more emotional at the credits sequence asking for help, than I did over 2B and 9S's relationship, or the fact that pretty much everyone dies except some pods and maybe a rebuilt 2B/9S. Like, at the end of the day, knowing 2B is supposed to execute 9S every time he gets too smart, knowing all the peaceful robots died and I left Pascal behind with his memories (I am so cruel,) knowing (easy guess) that all the humans are actually dead, knowing the aliens died to their robots ages ago..... I don't know man. It's like, so much time spans between all the major events of the historical plot that I just can't end up caring about anything in this game's plot. I had more reaction out of the twists that sideplots gave (girl on the station being happy her friend died, robot asking you to kill forest folks because they shunned his way of talking) than I did from any of the major plot points. I'm not sure if it's because the plot points are just too predictable or if I was too guarded for this game.

Aside from that, did anyone else notice how doll-like 9S's face looks when he has his blindfold off? Really hits home that these are just androids, not humans. Probably all the more reason I can't care about them?

Honestly kind of the same. I know they really want to make you feel bad about 2B/9S/A2 and the fact that "everyone dies" at the end (even before ending E) but the fact that not only is death "reversible", but the exact same thing happens even just when you quick travel takes a lot of punch out of it. Even with Ending E's "we'll get their memories back and put them back together", it was like "well if they're quick travelling then some version of them is probably floating around somewhere, even if it's not the one from their exact moment of death, so..."

Honestly, to that end, given how much of the game revolves around "are your memories what make you the truest version of you", the fact that they basically never really brought it up for 2B/9S/A2 felt weird as hell. Like somewhere around route C we just took a hard right for full on cliche anime plot and said "All these weird questions about individuality? Yeah nah they don't count for the main characters anymore".

- 9S fighting 2B clones in the Tower? "They're just android bodies with no memory or ability to talk, whatever"

- A2 fighting with the fact that 2B's memories got dumped into her? "It's only going to make her pause slightly at this one plot-relevant point in ending D, and never be a thing at any other point"

- The fact that the quick travel system is canonically sending your memories into a new body every time you use it? "Yeah no big deal, there's no point where that could possibly be a plot point of having multiple "yous" running around"

- Buy all the children cores from a memoryless Pascal? "Literally vendor trash, no plot relevance whatsoever"

Anyways. Good game, but definitely feels like some missed opportunities to really run with the established rules of the setting.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DaveKap posted:

Yeah the "heavy" moments in the game didn't really effect me that much either. there where some reveals in the C /D path that made me say, "yeah that's hosed up" but the only thing that got the waterworks going was seeing those messages while the music swelled in ending E. GOD drat this game is good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thank god I found out about the FAR patch before I finished the game. I only have a 960 which chugged like crazy, even after dropping all the settings to low and turning the resolution down I was still getting barely above 50fps. Then I installed FAR and turned Global Illumination down and now I'm playing at a solid 60fps at full 1080p, which is so much better than the chop job I'd been dealing with before now.

OP should be updated to include this patch, it's by the same guy who did the patch that's in the OP just beefed up a bunch. Let more people play the game as it was meant, without bullshit fullscreen performance bugs.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Honestly kind of the same. I know they really want to make you feel bad about 2B/9S/A2 and the fact that "everyone dies" at the end (even before ending E) but the fact that not only is death "reversible", but the exact same thing happens even just when you quick travel takes a lot of punch out of it. Even with Ending E's "we'll get their memories back and put them back together", it was like "well if they're quick travelling then some version of them is probably floating around somewhere, even if it's not the one from their exact moment of death, so..."

Honestly, to that end, given how much of the game revolves around "are your memories what make you the truest version of you", the fact that they basically never really brought it up for 2B/9S/A2 felt weird as hell. Like somewhere around route C we just took a hard right for full on cliche anime plot and said "All these weird questions about individuality? Yeah nah they don't count for the main characters anymore".

- 9S fighting 2B clones in the Tower? "They're just android bodies with no memory or ability to talk, whatever"

- A2 fighting with the fact that 2B's memories got dumped into her? "It's only going to make her pause slightly at this one plot-relevant point in ending D, and never be a thing at any other point"

- The fact that the quick travel system is canonically sending your memories into a new body every time you use it? "Yeah no big deal, there's no point where that could possibly be a plot point of having multiple "yous" running around"

- Buy all the children cores from a memoryless Pascal? "Literally vendor trash, no plot relevance whatsoever"

Anyways. Good game, but definitely feels like some missed opportunities to really run with the established rules of the setting.

I don't really get what you're talking about here. 9S's battles in the Tower reflect he's just as willing to destroy that which he treasures most in order to accomplish his pointless crusade. A2 is a cold-blooded killer of machines before 2B's memories pass onto her. In the process, and handing her over to the player's control, she has a chance to attain humanity. The entire point of Ending E is to establish that by their connection to one another, all of the main characters and the Pods attain emotional sentience.

The fast travel thing is a cute way to explain it, and kind of neat when keeping into the theme of identity. It doesn't mean much overall, but it would have been REALLY obnoxious to lose the fast travel access once the Bunker is destroyed so I'm genuinely glad they just decide to let you fast travel regardless.

If your reaction to Pascal mindlessly selling his beloved children's body parts to you without a moment's hesitation isn't some measure of shock, sadness or disgust, I'm not sure what to say about your emotional well being.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

BUT THEN YOU DIE AND ALL YOUR CHIPS ARE GONE AND YOU GOTTA GET THEM BACK

but then it KILLS YOU in ONE HIT and you lost EVERYTHING and then you are VERY ANGRY

EDIT: I mean gently caress me, but Dark Souls at least didn't unequip all my gear every time I died

EDIT EDIT: gently caress you and gently caress this. Hard mode can throw enemies seven levels higher than me at me, Hard mode can punish me harshly for dying, Hard Mode can give me not enough health to survive basic attacks, but if it's going to do all three, then I'm not even going to loving bother this is abject horse poo poo

do you know how many enemies can bust out shockwave moves that kill you in one hit the answer is a surprisingly large loving amount

You can literally spam the dodge move for like 90% of the game and never get die. I played all but the first half of playthrough A on hard and only double-died twice the entire time. And when that happens you just reload and redo the five or ten minutes your lost. This game is so much easier than dark souls, too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't really get what you're talking about here. 9S's battles in the Tower reflect he's just as willing to destroy that which he treasures most in order to accomplish his pointless crusade. A2 is a cold-blooded killer of machines before 2B's memories pass onto her. In the process, and handing her over to the player's control, she has a chance to attain humanity. The entire point of Ending E is to establish that by their connection to one another, all of the main characters and the Pods attain emotional sentience.

The fast travel thing is a cute way to explain it, and kind of neat when keeping into the theme of identity. It doesn't mean much overall, but it would have been REALLY obnoxious to lose the fast travel access once the Bunker is destroyed so I'm genuinely glad they just decide to let you fast travel regardless.

If your reaction to Pascal mindlessly selling his beloved children's body parts to you without a moment's hesitation isn't some measure of shock, sadness or disgust, I'm not sure what to say about your emotional well being.

re 9S, yes, I was just surprised that they didn't even "pretend" to give 2B any sort of, well, humanity for that fight. 9S hacking down a bunch of silent 2B clones vs. 9S hacking down a bunch of 2Bs pleading "9S it's me, what are you doing, NO-"? I mean, there's a certain level of heart-tearing I would expect, all things considered :colbert:

And yes, "Everyone has feelings and you can do anything with the power of friendship" is the anime-cliche part of C/D/E that I meant.

My reaction to Pascal mindlessly selling his beloved children's ostensibly-whole brains to me was shock, sadness, disgust, and the slight tempering of hope that all is not lost and maybe I'll be able to find someone who can make them whole again. Finding out that it was literally just vendor trash was, uh, well. Like the post I was replying to mentioned, the more drastic emotional gut punches came from the supporting characters than the main ones.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

re 9S, yes, I was just surprised that they didn't even "pretend" to give 2B any sort of, well, humanity for that fight. 9S hacking down a bunch of silent 2B clones vs. 9S hacking down a bunch of 2Bs pleading "9S it's me, what are you doing, NO-"? I mean, there's a certain level of heart-tearing I would expect, all things considered :colbert:

That would have been unbearably cliche.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Just got ending C and Despite how much build up the Terminals get I couldn't help but feel like there's something about them that I'm missing, or that they were a bit rushed. Is their resemblance to Mannah just a reference or is there any more too it?

I was also a little curious who actually proposed YoRHa's creation. Were they the work of the Terminals to spur their own evolution, or did the higher-ups of the regular androids decide to create them? I was a little confused as to what files the Machines had coped from the Bunker and what ones they had made.

Also it took me until the 3rd credits to notice Pod 042 is voiced by DC Douglas, which made me smile.

I think there's more to be said for 9S projecting onto the dummy 2Bs and still killing them then having another scene where androids tell you not to kill them as you kill them. There's also an interesting contrast with 9S being able to swallow killing Simone and the like when he has more reason to think they're sentiment but killing the 2Bs makes him have a breakdown

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

That would have been unbearably cliche.

I don't know, maybe. The thing is that usually it's not actually whatever person, but this game spends the entire time making the point that memories are what makes you you, and memories can be copied, so it would arguably be actually 2B.

Wordnumber posted:

I think there's more to be said for 9S projecting onto the dummy 2Bs and still killing them then having another scene where androids tell you not to kill them as you kill them. There's also an interesting contrast with 9S being able to swallow killing Simone and the like when he has more reason to think they're sentiment but killing the 2Bs makes him have a breakdown

I don't know, you don't think having a legitimate 2B+9S reunion where 2B's like "I don't know what happened, the last thing I remember was <whatever>, but I'm glad you're okay 9S" and then 9S just snaps and kills her would be a worse emotional gutpunch for the player?

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 3, 2017

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I feel like if you were expecting the machine cores Pascal sells to, like, do something you kind of missed the point of that beat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know, maybe. The thing is that usually it's not actually whatever person, but this game spends the entire time making the point that memories are what makes you you, and memories can be copied, so it would arguably be actually 2B.

I don't know, you don't think having a legitimate 2B+9S reunion where 2B's like "I don't know what happened, the last thing I remember was <whatever>, but I'm glad you're okay 9S" and then 9S just snaps and kills her would be a worse emotional gutpunch for the player?

all of the ideas you're suggesting sound really lame and hamhanded, no offense. I do think this game's plot wasn't as well executed as Nier's but I think that's because it lacks a tiny bit of texture, not because it lacked some giant emotional 'gently caress you CRY NOW.' moment. The saddest parts in Nier were the quiet little realizations of why things were the way they were, not the moments where the game beat you over the head with the point. Like, when that robot boss in Nier 1 hits the ceiling and you realize it isn't trying to knock debris onto you, it's trying to get away. That was way sadder than a five minute Kaine death scene.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

And yes, "Everyone has feelings and you can do anything with the power of friendship" is the anime-cliche part of C/D/E that I meant.

My reaction to Pascal mindlessly selling his beloved children's ostensibly-whole brains to me was shock, sadness, disgust, and the slight tempering of hope that all is not lost and maybe I'll be able to find someone who can make them whole again. Finding out that it was literally just vendor trash was, uh, well. Like the post I was replying to mentioned, the more drastic emotional gut punches came from the supporting characters than the main ones.

The message isn't "you can do anything with the power of friendship" it's that "forming bonds with others gives live meaning"

Pascal selling the kids as weapons is the gut punch in and of itself. They aren't "vendor trash" weapons are the most important collectible in the game, and unlock a piece of content if you collect and upgrade them all.

I will say that A2 could have stood to have more development, maybe some more scenes with her reflecting on her own motivations or something like that, she feels kind of lacking in things to do for the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I will say that A2 could have stood to have more development, maybe some more scenes with her reflecting on her own motivations or something like that, she feels kind of lacking in things to do for the end.

I kind of felt the same way, it seemed like her story was fighting for screentime with the other plot thread when it didn't have to be that way. I was wondering what people were talking about with the stage play, and looked it up after beating this. Besides being a bizarre and wonderful thing that it even exists, I wonder if that backstory stuff could have been worked into the game itself

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
My favorite scene in this game was probably when 9S reaches out to one of the 2B copies after their fight in the tower, caresses her face, then rips off her arm to fuse with his stump. There's a lot going on under the hood of that one.

The scene that made me saddest was running into Pascal in the village after wiping his memory.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I love how there's tons of stuff I'm still finding. These guys love the Dark Souls style "narrow cliff path you can easily overlook" route of hiding secrets, I went down this random looking path and found a door and a quest and a canyon area that I'd never actually properly found before.

Properly, I say, because I found it before by falling down the cliff and narrowly surviving death, another habit I'd picked up from Dark Souls.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

I don't think the point of that part was that 9S is so far gone that he'd still kill 2B if she were walking and talking in front of him. It's a role reversal. 9S must kill the 2B clones to proceed just as 2B has had to kill 9S before. The difference is that the 2B clones don't have 2B's memories; it has to be this way because 9S needs a good reason to kill 2B, giving him the same kind of self-conflict that 2B had before. If any of the 2B clones had her memory, they would have no reason to fight 9S, and as a result 9S would have no reason to fight 2B. It would essentially be a happy ending at that point.

That doesn't cover the case where the clones just talk poo poo but don't really have 2B's memory, but they already did that with 21O and I guess it might have been confusing, since the clones here are not meant to be the real thing whereas 21O was legit. I also think bringing back 2B in any legit form would have been a little hokey; part of what I liked about 2B's death is that it is truly permanent, contrasting how impermanent death usually is for androids.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Are there any sites tracking what materials you need to upgrade specific weapons, and where they might be bought or who drops them?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Are there any sites tracking what materials you need to upgrade specific weapons, and where they might be bought or who drops them?

The Fextralife wiki is decent about it, but you honestly won't have to worry much about weapon upgrade materials because they're all sold by lategame shops in bulk. It's the Pod upgrade materials that are excruciatingly rare.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah, alright.

I know about the resistance shopkeeper, the desert and forest shopkeepers, the village shopkeeper, the clown, the robot in the canyon, and the traveling salesman. Any others?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm not sure anyone is going to do an exhaustive enemy drop list because it's a waste of time and energy when every single weapon upgrade material can be bought between:

The clown in the amusement park
The inventor in Pascal's village
Emil's 2 material shops
Route C spoiler: Memory wiped Pascal

The one exception is Beast Hides but you should know how to get those...

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Pascal selling the kids as weapons is the gut punch in and of itself. They aren't "vendor trash" weapons are the most important collectible in the game, and unlock a piece of content if you collect and upgrade them all.

I think even the items being just vendor trash is appropriate. The sad thing is that the kids literally are just trash to Pascal now, completely stripped of all meaning to him despite how much they meant to him before.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

The inventor in Pascal's village
Route C spoiler: Memory wiped Pascal
Forgot about the first one, assumed the latter just sold vendor trash.

quote:

Emil's 2 material shops
Is there a way to manipulate his inventory or do I just have to hope he's in the right place at the right speed?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Is there a way to manipulate his inventory or do I just have to hope he's in the right place at the right speed?

Reload a bunch and hope for the best

Godspeed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

His premium mats shop is unfortunately the rarest one. It only appears on the route near the Resistance Camp.

For some reason I had way more luck making it spawn by dying and reloading, rather than reloading normally or changing warp points, but I have no reason to believe that's not just a coincidence.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Upgrade the machine heads and read their weapon story to gain a greater understanding of the game's theme. I realize a good portion of the effective moments were when I didn't realize it coming. Sure, it was a pain to lose 2B but losing the entire village hurt a ton after doing all the side quests there like the slide and sibling bots who protected each other until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alder posted:

Upgrade the machine heads and read their weapon story to gain a greater understanding of the game's theme. I realize a good portion of the effective moments were when I didn't realize it coming. Sure, it was a pain to lose 2B but losing the entire village hurt a ton after doing all the side quests there like the slide and sibling bots who protected each other until the end.

I literally posted how much I enjoyed those sidequests in this very thread and ten minutes later...