Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Right, things just got interesting.

26th, here's a quick summary of the situation if you need it:

The 53rd arrived in cover during the night and can remain concealed if it doesn't fire it's weapons, I beleive.

I'm not going to gazump the corps commander, but suffice it to say it will be an interesting day. Likely ugly as all hell, but potentially battle winning.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Looks like the telephone lines were cut where the ground color changes between Taillis Nord and Ferme Chatte. Might be a good idea to send someone after whatever or whoever cut the lines.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yup, also trin said the replacement chits came along that road and the CC, so nobody has had eyes on the south road for quite a while. this makes it more likely that it's a small force, i guess, which drew an arrow arcing across the two roads, or else you'd think there'd be more than 1.5" of cut.

i think entrenchments proved their worth against artillery fire in that update. i feel better and better about our defensive perimeter in the FdE in the event that our offensives there don't succeed, but we might well be able to wrap up the western side and who knows, even move into those SE trenches finally.

now, how about the two brigades that aren't in the FdE?

are we going to leave the backfield alone, at the risk of having the wire cut again by whoever's back there? i think we might have to, there could be anything in the southern CC, or there could be nothing in which case we need some kind of presence there. maybe have the 86th charge down the road?

it would be nice to have the 88th do something, can we leave the center to the artillery and deploy them somewhere? they'll be more effective than other brigades because of the fatigue penalty, and i bet that applies to the enemy too.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Are those guns we spotted in our arty range? I have a raging hateboner for those guys.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Are those guns we spotted in our arty range? I have a raging hateboner for those guys.

Sadly not, even with out new forward positions.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

aphid_licker posted:

Just outside, unfortunately!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yup, about 45".

entrenchments help, but we can hope to have broken that infantry brigade on the W of FdE. trin said the moving artillery would be ready to fire in two turns at 0330. they were ordered to fire on the general area of these guys until 0800, so they should have started shooting at 0530 and managed 4 turns of fire on there. if that unit in the NW moves south quickly it might benefit from that barrage.

and yeah, i guess they probably moved, but i suppose the charging units would benefit from that as well if they could catch them out of their entrenchments. attacking straight down the trench north to south should minimize the number of enemies able to pour fire on the charge before close combat, too, if they haven't rearranged to face northward

the MGs of that brigade as currently positioned should be able to fire down to the road, so could cover the first few turns of the charge. that could help

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 3, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh, and the exact width of the wire break was apparently 1.2" in the update. i believe that is the exact width of a single chit... (40px/in, 50x50 pixel chits)

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So my guys in Stethoscope have two fatigue and are combat ineffective. I can see three options - comb through the ferme and east side looking for our rogue wirecutter, dig in along the CC for rear security, or just stay in Stethoscope for some R&R.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Added Space posted:

So my guys in Stethoscope have two fatigue and are combat ineffective. I can see three options - comb through the ferme and east side looking for our rogue wirecutter, dig in along the CC for rear security, or just stay in Stethoscope for some R&R.

The proper Saxon expression is "ä Schälchn Heeßes"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ouch. Now that we have seen what massed artillery can do to an unprotected brigade on its own, blind, it bears some unpleasant implications about attacking enemy positions that can call in the same mass of shells as support. On one hand - charging the enemy trenches doesn't have a great track record. On the other, can an attacker afford stopping to fire from distance, knowing he is going to absolutely decimated if he stays in the open for more than a turn?

Also seeing the great impact of trenches on survivability - we should always prefer getting batteries operational ASAP over any marginal gains gained from repositioning, unless it is absolutely necessary. Giving the enemy extra time to build trenches, or to enter them can be the difference between destroying them entirely and maybe causing them a minor inconvenience.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well :rip: my dudes :patriot:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ok. We haven't heard from Tatankatonk, so I'm going to do some contingency planning on one of the most likely courses of action, attacking westward.
It's not going to be pleasant. But we can weigh things in our favour somewhat by use of numbers artillery and co-ordination.

The basic plan is not all that different from the manoeuvring early last night. Give Saros a couple of turns to align himself with Steinrokkan, a turn or two of fudge factor and then advance forward at a given time. Kevz brigade to hold fire, unseen, and attack about 1 or two turns after the strong brigades make contact so that his small brigade can't accidentally be the sole target.

Trin in roll20 posted:

Trin Tragula (GM): I remind yoou that units in a trench may switch to Attack and move about, as long as everyone moves to an appreciably different position
just in case anyone's worried about the enemy guessing where they are
and dropping indirect hate on them
OTF your reinforcements came down the north road to meet you
The 53rd's came via the Chemin Creux
A handy clarification from this morning, this should allow Saros' troops to form up without losing too many people. The trenches aren't perfectly aligned, but should allow both brigades to sight the enemy on the same turn, which is a huge key.

Artillery:
Hopefully some brigades have been killed during the night, but what we really need now is suppression. The North battery has heavy howitzers, which at least assures that they'll have some effect. The more that get suppressed, the more of our men close to range.

Some things we need to consider:
- Sight ranges in woods - I assumed it was less than in the open, but I can't find any rules on it in the early tutorial posts. [Edit: spotting range 8" in cover. We should be able to advance about 4" before getting spotted, so it's a bit of a crapshoot whether we get the 4" firing advance on the first turn or not] Will our men be spotted as soon as they leave their trenches? Too bad, but we need to work it out to plan around.
-Artillery - how many turns bombardment can we manage? At least two turns in advance of H-hour is preferable.
-Formations - I leave this up to brigade commanders. We'll be constrained by trench jump-off points so they'll be forming on the move anyway.
-Advance method - do we go static once in contact? Advance under rifle fire all the way? Potentially Saros' Brigade could charge on H+3 or so to guarantee making the trenches, while the others cover with rifles, but this will probably wreck his brigade.
-Kevz Brigade - During the assault, one option is to have him attack the artillery to stop their supporting fire. Unfortunately fighting the guns alone will probably destroy his brigade. A more conservative option is to have him join in the attack on the trenches, making it much cleaner and faster, at least in the northern half.
-Enemy Artillery park - They are a formidable enemy. On gaining the trenches, we should have a (very) short pause to allow everyone to catch up then I am for all three brigades advancing on them. This should take us to about the end of the update, Allowing us to consolidate during the next part of the day.

Alternatives:
We don't have to assault directly. Of course this is mainly Tatankatonk's call, but here are some I've considered.
-Hook North - not enough room.
-Hook into the southern end of the BEF position - the biggest problem here is that we don't know what is south of the forest. Brushing the southern end of the Forest is likely to attract fire from any units holding the middle, bogging down our attack. Has the advantage of avoiding planned indirect fire. If there happens to be another brigade immediately south of the one we're attacking, we're hosed.
- Forget the west, move south - has the advantage that we will probably discover/destroy more units, potentially catch some of the BEF on the move. Could be done. The units destroyed might be worth the westward momentum lost.
- Stop and defend - problem here is that once we stop, we'll never have as good an opportunity to advance again. The enemy will be getting reinforcements too, and since we are trying to advance, time is against us. Has the advantage that we can release some troops to go elsewhere.

Brigadiers of the 26th, please give me your thoughts. Are you up for this dirty task?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 3, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I honestly don't know if we can successfully assault 1-2 entrenched BEF bde with a lot of supporting artillery with what we have, don't forget they can call supporting fire so those guns will chew us to bits. However I don't think they know 53rd is there so we may be able to leverage that somehow. Finally attacking further into FdE is kind of futile as we can't bring up our artillery into it so we need to clear the center to advance further anyway...

Saros fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 3, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The problem is that our alternatives are pretty limited. Even if we go south, we will eventually face entrenched positions. The next opportunity to get local superiority will be when the next division arrives, but in the meantime, they will shore up their defences and make good their losses.

E: Sniper, can you give us an estimate of your shell supplies please?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 3, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh and a thought I have had about artillery, to get kills on entrenched units you seem to need to drop two indirect missions on them as trenches seem to reduce kills to suppressed but suppressed units that get suppressed again are killed.

Trin with the trenches my bde in the north isn't showing up as having any in the overview when one shot from the night has them dug in.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Jaguars tell me where you need my brigade and what you need it to do and I will do it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'll make a decision in the morning if Tatankatonk hasn't posted.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I know I say this every time but, uhhh, let's just hold in place. We have a defensible foothold across the river, let's use the reinforcement division to clean up our side and reinforce the by then depleted bridgehead units and call it. We need to be very clear that an attack means that those units are gone, meaning our ability to defend the bridgehead is gone, and this in a situation where we already can't keep the enemy out of our back field for lack of forces. Holding more than half the map and a bunch of river crossings is a minor victory very probably.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aphid_licker posted:

I know I say this every time but, uhhh, let's just hold in place. We have a defensible foothold across the river, let's use the reinforcement division to clean up our side and reinforce the by then depleted bridgehead units and call it. We need to be very clear that an attack means that those units are gone, meaning our ability to defend the bridgehead is gone, and this in a situation where we already can't keep the enemy out of our back field for lack of forces. Holding more than half the map and a bunch of river crossings is a minor victory very probably.

I'm inclined to agree. Let's wait for all our forces to settle down, and see if the Brits will have impaled themselves on our defenses by the time that happens.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Hi guys, sorry for the lack of a response but I find myself unexpectedly busy irl. I dont have the time to hammer out a map/plan this turn so Jaguars! is acting corps commander for this adjudication round. Good luck!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Concur. They've lost sight of us, everyone is tired, and we've got fresh troops coming in the evening. The troops in the NW of the foret can either pull back for better cohesion or commit to ambush, but we really should hang back for now.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I want to make sure we clear out the central area for now.

Vague plans ahoy. I would strongly expect they have troops or at least pickets in those central trenches and if they do that means they saw our guns firing in the night. I think our south gun battery is probably okay for now thanks to trenches and being far back but our position for the howitzers and north 7.7cm battery is unsafe.

We also have to clear the center at some point as we are at the limit of where our guns can reach because they cant fire from inside forests.

I propose this turn a holding action in FdE and we very cautiously crush the center with artillery support.

Moving up to the riverline/southern FdE allows us to see and engage enemies in the trenches with our superior MG/TM as well as calling fire from the artillery in the trenches to support us. The bde in Tallis douche needs re-organising anyway as its TM are in the wrong places and cant fire.

We should also be cautious about being flanked from the south but they surely cant have that many troops to spare.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I have to object. We know they have troops operating in the south, and that our rear has been penetrated. Saros' plan would leave our southern flank completely exposed. There would be nothing stopping that southern brigade from wandering right into Stethoscope.

Bringing the 88th up does make sense since they are relatively fresh.

Suggestion - have the guns double or triple target trenches. The concentration of fire would substantially raise the odds of killing something, given how the whole repressed-rally-killed system works.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Added Space posted:

The concentration of fire would substantially raise the odds of killing something, given how the whole repressed-rally-killed system works.

Would you say this would mean that now we'd see the violence inherent in the system?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Added Space posted:

I have to object. We know they have troops operating in the south, and that our rear has been penetrated. Saros' plan would leave our southern flank completely exposed. There would be nothing stopping that southern brigade from wandering right into Stethoscope.

Bringing the 88th up does make sense since they are relatively fresh.

Suggestion - have the guns double or triple target trenches. The concentration of fire would substantially raise the odds of killing something, given how the whole repressed-rally-killed system works.

The penetration appears to have been done by an autonomous chit given the wire break was identical in size to one. Probably an engineer, Armored car (are they autonomous) or a spare HQ chit.

The guys in Tallis Douche are not really needed for my plan and they are plenty to guard our flank especially as they can call upon supporting fire from our arty pretty fast. Exposure is limited and we hopefully drive them out of the central trenches allowing us to bring our arty up later. From now on moves are going to have to be a lot slower and more deliberate.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Saros posted:

The penetration appears to have been done by an autonomous chit given the wire break was identical in size to one. Probably an engineer, Armored car (are they autonomous) or a spare HQ chit.

The guys in Tallis Douche are not really needed for my plan and they are plenty to guard our flank especially as they can call upon supporting fire from our arty pretty fast. Exposure is limited and we hopefully drive them out of the central trenches allowing us to bring our arty up later. From now on moves are going to have to be a lot slower and more deliberate.

Maybe they were riding in single file to hide their numbers, just like the sand people Ottomans.

I'd rather the 88th be sent. I have two fatigue (I think) so my combat potential is lower.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess I agree with the cautious Central attack but mostly with making sure the fde is unbreakable. it's a shame to just leave that presumably unspotted brigade hanging up north, but maybe we can gain a future advantage by entrenching there? they are rather weak as an attacking force.

also we still need somebody in the south at some point! maybe the 86th could move quickly down the CC and if no enemies are encountered take up a defensive position including the CC and douche, while the 88th does something murderously useful with its lack of fatigue?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I endorse the central attack as well, and can draw up some artillery orders based on it when I get home.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

*Command Structure* *Roll20 table* *Pre-turn checklist* *Travel times*
*Movement, cover and spotting* *Firing and combat* *Firing demo*
*Billy bonus* *Command and Control*
*Writing orders including standing orders* *Relationship between standing orders and conditionals
*Example orders* *Brigades, Fatigue, New terrain, indirect fire, engineer times, new hill spotting* *Trenches and terrain*
Arrows! Formations! Conditionals! Standing Orders!

IV Corps orders

Ok. We're going to consolidate. Kevz is to remain in place and shoot only if in danger of being spotted. Saros is to move down to the SE trenches of the FdE. If you spot anything, both arty brigades should be available to bombard them and we'll organize an attack next update. Fathis is to recover his troops and investigate the area of the Tailis Nord for our mysterious infiltrator. Return to the division area when you are done, otherwise it'll take forever for orders to get through.

26th Division priotity of orders:
53rd
54th
52nd

The 86th is to move south and take up positions on the Chemin de Creux, they should control to the southern end of the map. 88th as ever will defend, I am certainly not removing a defensive lynchpin to attack into the unknown. Sorry for the boring orders Ikasuhito, you probably want to take a brigade in the upcoming reinforcement corps. Aphid, of you think you can make better defensive arrangements, do so.

Artillery is to spend the first half of the update covering unit movement, after that see if getting guns far enough forward to counter-battery fire the british guns is feasable. Limit speculative fire to conserve ammunition. I want to know our ammo status.

Engineering to repair the southern telephone line, put some wire in front of the central gunline, put up a roadblock on the road leading west from the Southern Chemin de Creux. If spare time, wire south and SW of Ikasuhito's position. Wire other defensive positions as you see fit.

Spotter plane:
Spotter plane to go out at Day 3 Turn 17

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 5, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Ammo status: 16 missions for each brigade.

A gunline emplaced on the bank between the stream and fde should be able to hit the gunline, but until we've got south flank protection I'm loath to move up.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hang on Kev is in a really good position and they have no idea he is there, abandoning our only way to look west out of FdE is ridiculous!

As for the hidden wirecutters at least leave orders to clear both the forests and the farm the odds of them specifically choosing Tallis Nord aren't great. I'm also going to get in a gunfight with whoever is in the central trenches anyway due to the range so no reason to not give me at least some support.

sniper4625 posted:

A gunline emplaced on the bank between the stream and fde should be able to hit the gunline, but until we've got south flank protection I'm loath to move up.

If they have anything in the center at all your guns were spotted and you should expect CB fire. We know they had units positioned to hit targets further east than you in the south so odds are you have a big fat target painted on your positions right now.

To me the arty we saw looks like a division worth so probably at least as much is somewhere in the center somewhere dug in.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Ammo status: 16 missions for each brigade.

Saros' movement will secure that area. We received 16 missions this morning, do we have any that carry through from yesterday's supplies?

Saros posted:

Hang on Kev is in a really good position and they have no idea he is there, abandoning our only way to look west out of FdE is ridiculous!

As for the hidden wirecutters at least leave orders to clear both the forests and the farm the odds of them specifically choosing Tallis Nord aren't great. I'm also going to get in a gunfight with whoever is in the central trenches anyway due to the range so no reason to not give me at least some support.

If they have anything in the center at all your guns were spotted and you should expect CB fire. We know they had units positioned to hit targets further east than you in the south so odds are you have a big fat target painted on your positions right now.

To me the arty we saw looks like a division worth so probably at least as much is somewhere in the center somewhere dug in.

Kevz position doesn't support anything except support an attack westward and a slight improvement on our indirect gunnery. If we find brigades in front of you, everything is gonna eventually move and he'll be left high and dry. Still, I'm not wedded to it, he may stay where he is and spot if he judges it the sensible thing to do.

Two cuts heading northward looks like the Taillis Nord to me. If it isn't, then too bad, we'll have another search elsewhere.

Finally, You have enormous artillery support and entrenchements and limited goals to make up for the lack of brigades. I will not ruin a corps level defense on a speculative enemy. End of story, make the best of it.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 3, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saros posted:

Trin Tragula posted:

The 53rd arrives at the west edge of the Foret d'Effyaders and peers out.

This is what they see.

Now then; unlike the 155mm French guns, these 60-pounders (calibre, about 122mm) are correctly labelled. They are heavy field guns and cannot fire into towns. They also appear to be firing more-or-less due west, into the forest.

Saros is right about there being two enemy artillery groups. Except that there's no probably about it. Trin told us the Brits have two artillery formations. Which isn't even new information. We saw their other group of lighter artillery earlier. It's right in middle, perpendicular and across the center road.

We should assume that the other side has the same number of equivalent divisions and support formations as us. So far that has seemed to be the case.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Where did we see they had elements in place to reach as far as my current artillery position? There was the midroad gunline earlier, but I can't imagine that's still in place.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, I don't know where the second gunline is. One of many reasons I'm not attacking the center without knowing where the enemy is.

E:
I think the risk referred to is the possibility that a spotter in the trenches in the center of this picture has you lit up, and I guess also that the second battery is within range to do something about it.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 3, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Draft Orders

Proceed single file along the Chemin Cruex. Order -

8 Infantry, MG, BriCmd, 2MGs, 3 Infantry, TM, 1 Infantry

Have the three lead infantry head off at the intersection to form this configuration.

Dig in.

Defend
Use Rifles
Do not pursue
Fight to the last
MAXIMUM TRENCH

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just a thought - maybe instead of traveling single-file, have them walk down the CC in a formation 4 or 5 companies wide, with orders to charge any enemies in the CC (but not enemies outside the CC)? after that, or if there's no enemy, it'd go as you've written - form up the way you've got it and switch to maximum trench standing orders.

if you do run into an enemy, that'd put you in a better formation to charge them, and i feel like we want to charge an enemy in that position rather than setting up for a rifle battle. i worry that just having the maximum trench standing orders throughout could result in your just turtling up if they see an enemy. however, if other people think that's a better idea than charging, i'll leave it alone

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Trin can you enlighten me with what happened with my bde last night?

Trenches appear.

Overview shows none.

They also did not move the whole night despite orders, was that just bad rolling or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The orders failed to get through (phone lines being down suck, a lot, you rolled moderately well when you needed to roll very well, and then terribly when you only needed to do moderately well); the trench got filed in the wrong bucket and switched off with the rest of the things you can't see. It's there.

• Locked thread