Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sickening posted:

You don't need them. Flooded strands work fine.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/606504#online

That's true for grixis delver and maybe control but you end up fetching blood crypt way more often in death's shadow. It's still playable sure but you really want tarns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Tarns and Strands both can't fetch shrine, which is fine.

This deck is sweet. I can confirm. Don't play 2 Anglers though. 1 is fine.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

whydirt posted:

Now I want to make dual proxies all using Bob Ross paintings as the art.

I'd legit run Bob Ross basics

have to see about making a set now... swamps gonna be hard to find I suspect.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Sickening posted:

Tarns and Strands both can't fetch shrine, which is fine.

Sideboarding tips on this deck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

beergod posted:

Sideboarding tips on this deck?

Don't play Ceremonious Rejection. That seems awful. You also probably want at least 2 Temur Battle Rage in the 75.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Don't play Ceremonious Rejection. That seems awful. You also probably want at least 2 Temur Battle Rage in the 75.

Ceremonious rejection is a meta call and its actually pretty good atm. Its for affinity, bant eldrazi, and every flavor of tron. I would playtest it before you knock it.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 2, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lmao at the Fluctuator price spike

I hope it gets reprinted, both because gently caress speculators and because it would be a pretty rad card in standard/modern.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Shortest Path posted:

lmao at the Fluctuator price spike

I hope it gets reprinted, both because gently caress speculators and because it would be a pretty rad card in standard/modern.

Would it be played in Living End, because alot of the cycles there have colored mana costs.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Would it be played in Living End, because alot of the cycles there have colored mana costs.

Playing a 2 cmc card in living end is not the best idea

Also it's on the reserved list

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Playing a 2 cmc card in living end is not the best idea

Also it's on the reserved list

Also there's like, one card at most in most Living End lists that would be reduced by Fluctuator. For example I have a single Jungle Weaver in my list.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

That final was awesome

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hah, Reid Duke gets off a turn two Stony Silence against Affinty and his opponent draws zero Cranial Platings, Steel Overseers, Arcbound Ravagers and draws plenty of actual lands to play double Master of Etherium. Good times.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Ceremonious rejection is a meta call and its actually pretty good atm. Its for affinity, bant eldrazi, and every flavor of tron. I would playtest it before you knock it.

I know what it's for but it's still too narrow. Especially when you're playing the Shadow version of the deck with a fast clock and not Grixis Control.

Hellsau posted:

Hah, Reid Duke gets off a turn two Stony Silence against Affinty and his opponent draws zero Cranial Platings, Steel Overseers, Arcbound Ravagers and draws plenty of actual lands to play double Master of Etherium. Good times.

I think T1 Inquisition T2 Stoney T3 Souls is like 98% to win a game against affinity.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the site with the feature that shows recent attempts at speculated buyouts? I think it was linked here once or twice and I should start selling stuff into the hype instead of merely laughing at it happening.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

Now I want to make dual proxies all using Bob Ross paintings as the art.

I started watching Bob Ross on Netflix, and it made me want to paint. I'm an artist, but I've always hated painting, and Bob Ross got me to love it. My girlfriend bought me some oil paints for my birthday. I painted one thing in my house and my house smelled like oil paint and turpenoid for days, so when it gets nicer out and I can paint outside I've already planned to try to paint versions of all ten ABU duals.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd legit run Bob Ross basics

have to see about making a set now... swamps gonna be hard to find I suspect.

He definitely did swamps and marshes. He based his paintings off of places he lived, so there's some happy Florida marshland paintings.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I hope everyone who went to S.A. enjoyed my home town. I'm sorry I moved to LA last year and wasn't there to get you all piss drunk.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I hope everyone who went to S.A. enjoyed my home town. I'm sorry I moved to LA last year and wasn't there to get you all piss drunk.

San Antonio is a good town.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Well dang, if MM17 drives the price of Shadow down then I might have to hop on the bandwagon, I'm closer to some of these lists than I had previously thought. Anyone playing variants besides Jund and Grixis? I've seen one or two Esper and Sultai lists out there but they must not be as good or else I think I'd see more of them.

Sickening posted:

San Antonio is a good town.

My wife went there for work a couple years ago and was raving for a week or two afterwards about how much she liked it. I should go sometime.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 3, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
laffin at my $40 Fluctuator legacy combo deck that is now $80 because those things are sold out at 15/each at SCG now :cawg:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Well dang, if MM17 drives the price of Shadow down then I might have to hop on the bandwagon, I'm closer to some of these lists than I had previously thought. Anyone playing variants besides Jund and Grixis? I've seen one or two Esper and Sultai lists out there but they must not be as good or else I think I'd see more of them.

Reid Duke just piloted an Abzan (really BG with W in the board) version, and it doesn't seem like he did this for any particular reason over Jund due to deck collisions with teammates: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpsa17/top-4-decklists-2017-04-02

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Well dang, if MM17 drives the price of Shadow down then I might have to hop on the bandwagon, I'm closer to some of these lists than I had previously thought.

Just to warn you, Mishra's loving Bauble is still $50+.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

$170 foils holy lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

Grixis DS doesn't play Bauble, if that's a preferable option. (if you'd rather spend that money on/already have Snapcasters)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pontius Pilate posted:

$170 foils holy lol

The fact that I feel "good" about spending an average of like $21 per copy of my playset is hilarious and sad to me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Grixis DS doesn't play Bauble, if that's a preferable option.

Against, not only wins the matchup with the jund version but also is probably just better. Skipping out on goyf and baubles is just an added bonus.

(Both are super powerful and fun)(Also very skill intensive)

Surly Duff
May 6, 2007

Surly only looks out for one guy -- Surly.
:effort:post incoming:

Like a lot of people in this threat, I was disappointed by the Amonkhet Masterpieces. I wanted to mess around and see if there was a way to get a layout that looked Egypt-y enough without throwing out everything good that current Magic layout does.

I ended up spending the better part of the day pulling these together:

There are lots of little things that are off about them, and in particular the mana symbols are pretty bad, but overall I'm happy with how they turned out, and I think the general concept of the cartouche shape worked well.

After making these, the thing that irks me most about the Masterpieces we got is the tiny tiny art boxes. All of the available Masterpiece art stands on its own well enough when taken to full art size - even the overly digital look of Maelstrom Pulse and Vindicate looks way better when you can actually see the whole piece.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

Noted by others, but Grixis doesn't play Bauble and I've seen BUG and Esper versions online that don't run it either. No idea how they compare in overall power though.

I'll probably end up jamming Titan Breach more often if Death's Shadow remains in vogue. Sure, drop yourself down below 15 life in time for T3/4 Emrakul, that's cool with me :getin:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Surly Duff posted:

Like a lot of people in this threat, I was disappointed by the Amonkhet Masterpieces. I wanted to mess around and see if there was a way to get a layout that looked Egypt-y enough without throwing out everything good that current Magic layout does.

There are lots of little things that are off about them, and in particular the mana symbols are pretty bad, but overall I'm happy with how they turned out, and I think the general concept of the cartouche shape worked well.

After making these, the thing that irks me most about the Masterpieces we got is the tiny tiny art boxes. All of the available Masterpiece art stands on its own well enough when taken to full art size - even the overly digital look of Maelstrom Pulse and Vindicate looks way better when you can actually see the whole piece.

somehow you've managed to make me do a 180 and consider the invocations, just fine, actually

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

The fact that I feel "good" about spending an average of like $21 per copy of my playset is hilarious and sad to me.

Friendly reminder people are, right now, paying 50 dollars per uncommon.

You got off easy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

You got off easy.

Force of will says hi.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

You got off easy.

Foil Force of Wills are like 400....

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Force of will says hi.

Force of Will is played in several legacy decks, I can't think of any decks besides Death's Shadow for Mishra's Bauble.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
astral slide doesn't work in an evironment pushing tokens sadly.

Surly Duff posted:

it's amazing how many mock ups of alt invocations are somehow far worse than the actual invocations

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Vindicate would make a great textless promo. Tiny art promo, not so much.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
For some reason I got passed a Verdant Catacombs 3rd pick earlier. Not complaining, of course, but just incredibly perplexed. I didn't think people who played online would pass up an easy 8.5 tix. Oh, and I ended up winning with a sweet GWu flicker/token deck topping out with Sky Swallower and Sphinx's Rev. Good times.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Surly Duff posted:

For unpaid time killing these look good. The border textures aren't really appealing, but I like the layout. Full art without sacrificing playability.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Sickening posted:

Against, not only wins the matchup with the jund version but also is probably just better. Skipping out on goyf and baubles is just an added bonus.

(Both are super powerful and fun)(Also very skill intensive)

Can you please explain sideboarding in the Grixis deck to me? What am I looking to swap in and against what?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

born on a buy you posted:

it's amazing how many mock ups of alt invocations are somehow far worse than the actual invocations
Are we looking at the same sets of cards? Because legit the invocations are way worse than these.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

beergod posted:

Can you please explain sideboarding in the Grixis deck to me? What am I looking to swap in and against what?

I'm still working out my SB plans and can confirm I am bad with the deck bur currently my thoughts for some of the matches I have played

Burn/affinity
Remove street wraith for terminates and brutalities. Possibly remove thougtsieze for some kinda wrath (burn)

Tron
Land destruction package over counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Proper Amonkhet spoiler season starts today right?

• Locked thread