Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

I found that playing on the insane difficulty solved the issue for me. Sure the game is harder, but it's also way more fun because you end up finding better loot, getting more xp and getting into tactical fights way more often. Playing on normal, the game gets boring fast, with you just steamrolling copy-pasted enemies and only having to worry about a boss fight once or twice in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Maybe that's what I need to get back into tome, I reached the point where normal was a sleepwalk and nightmare was too inconsistently difficult for me to pay attention well and I just kind of stopped.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was playing Caves of Qud the other day with a four armed mutant and I was thinking that it was kind of a shame that something special doesn't happen if you wield a different type of weapon in each hand like some sort of Hindu god.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Speaking of crafting systems, Caves of Qud does a pretty good job of it. You don't have to hoard a bunch of trash that takes up space, you just collect components that AFAIK are weightless. It's great.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Anyone played this?

Calling something nuclear throne mixed with deus ex gets my interest.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/512900/

The gameplay is fun, but the game suffers from a bad case of le meme.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Most of the folks who care about this are already in the Dungeonmans thread, buuuuut just in case you are not:

:siren:Dungeonmans is :10bux: during the Steam Anime Weekend sale!:siren:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

Why? Because Dungeonmans is totally anime, at least for this weekend, where you have a shot at looting ridiculous anime themed powers and -- new for 2017 -- a very special book.

Between this weekend's drops and the Seeds of Tangled Dreams from the Tangledeep cross promotion, anyone should be able to beat Dungeonmans. Too easy, not a real roguelike.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

Most of the folks who care about this are already in the Dungeonmans thread, buuuuut just in case you are not:

:siren:Dungeonmans is :10bux: during the Steam Anime Weekend sale!:siren:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

Why? Because Dungeonmans is totally anime, at least for this weekend, where you have a shot at looting ridiculous anime themed powers and -- new for 2017 -- a very special book.

Between this weekend's drops and the Seeds of Tangled Dreams from the Tangledeep cross promotion, anyone should be able to beat Dungeonmans. Too easy, not a real roguelike.

There are reasons I always come back to this game. :allears:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Holy poo poo I have not played enough Dungeonmans.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Dang, 250$ reward out for Tangledeep. I'll back the hundred bucks

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

Amuys posted:

Dang, 250$ reward out for Tangledeep. I'll back the hundred bucks

:captainpop:

That is very nice, thank you! :D

I did add another $250 tier last week, "Ancient Hero of 2018". It's the same reward as the original $250 tier and it's not limited, with the caveat that since it's new content for us to make, it might not be available day 1 (of course I plan on doing lots of post-release patches!)

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Well shoots, will do so.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Woebin posted:

Speaking of crafting systems, Caves of Qud does a pretty good job of it. You don't have to hoard a bunch of trash that takes up space, you just collect components that AFAIK are weightless. It's great.

It's pretty good. Unfortunately the ability to turn scrap into those weightless components is tied to a skill, so if you're planning on eventually picking up tinkering but haven't done so yet, you'll still have stuff taking up inventory space until you spend 100 skillpoints on "Disassemble".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's not really that worthwhile to hoard junk items unless they contain rarer components, though, since the more common bits quickly become ubiquitous just from breaking down any random garbage and crappy guns you come across. And even if you do want to obsessively amass bits ahead of time, you can just dump them in Joppa or Grit Gate and recoil back to break them down once you have Disassemble.

It's a pretty good system. The menu can get a touch cluttered when you know a ton of recipes (or are sorting through a billion carried pieces of equipment to find the one you want to mod) though.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I really want to thank Tuxedo for recommending me ToME. Gives me a fond reminder of Diablo 2 without all the dumb grindy bits. Also Brawler is probably the most fun unarmed class I've ever played in a roguelike or rpg.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
No problem. ToME is still pretty grindy, honestly, but when you start feeling that way there's always the Orc campaign (which is far more compressed and gives you an XP multiplier over the base game), higher difficulty levels (still has too many / too big dungeons but you level much faster and can hit the cap long before the game is over), or even the QuickTome mod.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToME's Brawler is probably one of the most entertaining character classes ever made for any game. Just grab a motherfucker and throw him at another motherfucker. Meet the devil and repeatedly punch him in the dick until he dies. Hit a giant dragon with a haymaker so brutal that it just loving explodes on the spot.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

ToME's Brawler is probably one of the most entertaining character classes ever made for any game. Just grab a motherfucker and throw him at another motherfucker. Meet the devil and repeatedly punch him in the dick until he dies. Hit a giant dragon with a haymaker so brutal that it just loving explodes on the spot.

And then when you run into an enemy you can't grab because they're too big, you just grab one of his friends and slam him so hard it kills the big guy too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Slime posted:

And then when you run into an enemy you can't grab because they're too big, you just grab one of his friends and slam him so hard it kills the big guy too.

too... big?

let me tell you about ogres and size-boosting item egos

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

thats some quality fft no nose right there.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

too... big?

let me tell you about ogres and size-boosting item egos

if you start as an ogre you can't grapple until level 10 and i want to start wrasslin straight away

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Slime posted:

if you start as an ogre you can't grapple until level 10 and i want to start wrasslin straight away

wrassling is largely useless at level 1 though, and honestly pretty dubious even at level 10 because there's no way you've filled out the striking tree yet

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I was so sad when they replaced the old meaty WHAP WHAP noises brawlers used to make.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Benly posted:

I was so sad when they replaced the old meaty WHAP WHAP noises brawlers used to make.

They did what

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

They did what

I haven't played ToME in like 2 years but it's officially dead to me if that's true.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

dis astranagant posted:

I haven't played ToME in like 2 years but it's officially dead to me if that's true.

Neither have I, I just remember that they toned it down from the point where other people on a voice chat could hear the WHAPPAWHAPPAWHAPPA whenever I popped off a flurry. They still make whack noises but nowhere near as beefy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is mouse support kinda buggy in Tangledeep? because boy howdy i was gettin a bit annoyed when it seemed like the game decided it should randomly not let me use the mouse for a couple minutes at a time

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is mouse support kinda buggy in Tangledeep? because boy howdy i was gettin a bit annoyed when it seemed like the game decided it should randomly not let me use the mouse for a couple minutes at a time

Report that to the dev! Are you running the latest build?

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
That is definitely a new one, I play with mouse+kb and probably about half the people playing use it to some degree. Last problem I heard was weirdness when you alt+tab, but if there is more poop going on I definitely need to know! Hop on our Discord and tell me all about it in Da Bug Zone.

Anyway I have been hard at work every day making new stuff, the latest thing being Rumors. These are basically ways of getting more loot, xp, and jp, but also learning about side areas or powerful items you might not have discovered. You pay an upfront fee to get a rumor, and then if you 'complete' it you get rewards. I have 4 rumor types right now such as killing a powerful champion monster, or the more interesting "find this weird monster obsessed with a specific food and feed it". There are also conditions (challenges) like "take no more than 100 steps" which amplify your rewards!

You can play this latest build and check out the changelog here. Trying to do a new build every ~3 days or so!

Also the Kickstarter is about to hit our first stretch goal which will force my poor character artist to draw a whole lot of awesome Final Fantasy Tactics faces.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The mouse thing doesn't seem to be happening in the April 2nd build. It may have just been some problem with my computer the day I wrote that other post, too.

p.s. i really like the little message that says how many healing items i had when i died :lol:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

:suicide:
I just keep dying in ToME on normal. Casters are my worst enemy and even the anti-magic tree doesn't seem to stop them from blasting away a third of my hit points per spell. I have to be missing something, can I get a crash course on this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

:suicide:
I just keep dying in ToME on normal. Casters are my worst enemy and even the anti-magic tree doesn't seem to stop them from blasting away a third of my hit points per spell. I have to be missing something, can I get a crash course on this?

Are you dying in the early game, like pre-level 20? If so, stack +HP items. If you do that and get good Healing / Shielding inscriptions casters shouldn't be much of a problem on Normal.

If it's later in the game than that it'd help to know exactly when / where you're dying and what class you're playing.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are you dying in the early game, like pre-level 20? If so, stack +HP items. If you do that and get good Healing / Shielding inscriptions casters shouldn't be much of a problem on Normal.

If it's later in the game than that it'd help to know exactly when / where you're dying and what class you're playing.

Pre-20, yeah. I haven't even gotten off the continent yet.
Is Shielding worth it? I normally try to gun for anti-magic, locking me out of it, but I'm guessing that's a terrible idea.

Typically playing a rogue if you have any more tips on that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also: follow a zone order guide, don't just jump straight to the Maze or Old Forest as soon as the quest tells you to

Get a physical wild inscription with a cooldown of 12 -- most races start with this but Shalore and Ogres don't. This is what removes stuns after the fact. (You can also get a movement infusion which makes you immune to stuns and pins for a few turns but has to be used pro-actively, and of course you can either use it as part of your pre-fight buffs or to run away but not both unless the fight lasts a long time. This is probably overkill on Normal tbh.)

Anti-Magic takes a long time and a lot of points invested before it really takes off; most of the utility is in Anti-Magic Shield, the other abilities are just gravy.

Level Thick Skin in the Combat Training tree, using constitution-boosting items to meet the prerequisites. If your class doesn't get the Combat Training tree by default you can buy it from any weapon store in Last Hope.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I would avoid anti-magic on a rogue, there are lots of good daggers that are arcane.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

Pre-20, yeah. I haven't even gotten off the continent yet.
Is Shielding worth it? I normally try to gun for anti-magic, locking me out of it, but I'm guessing that's a terrible idea.

Typically playing a rogue if you have any more tips on that.

Anti-Magic is a matter of taste but keep in mind that as long as you don't know any spells (including shielding runes) when you step onto the world map for the first time, you can use arcane items and runes and just... get antimagic later, when you have more survivability.

Jazerus posted:

I would avoid anti-magic on a rogue, there are lots of good daggers that are arcane.

Also this.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I don't think I'll ever see those arcane daggers :suicide:

Also what's the deal with stealth? I had thought I'd be able to sneak around and kill them before they got me, but they seem to still know where I'm at.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Stealth is a very all-or-nothing affair and all-or-nothing affairs suck on Normal because you level so drat slowly.

I was also under the impression that Stealth just straight up wasn't very good on higher difficulties but maybe Razakai's rogue rework made the difference, because I'm seeing a bunch of winners in the current version who invested in it:

https://te4.org/characters/53113/tome/86dc37a3-9227-4522-96ce-a1a59b1312ad
https://te4.org/characters/8749/tome/4dfa8827-642c-4487-a2c5-313d47b62d34
https://te4.org/characters/190505/tome/5c1e0dda-c3dc-4e68-a342-f802ccb77907

But yeah, fill out your basic "kill stuff" skills first, take stealth later.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 3, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also this is more general roguelike advice than tome-specific but still kinda both: don't get discouraged by deaths. i lost something like 500-600 ToME characters before I got a win, and ToME was not the first roguelike I ascended in. this is how you get the breadth of knowledge to succeed: by finding literally every single wrong way to do it and then finally not doing those.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

How do you get past the issue that it's such a long game? I'm currently further than I've ever been playing easy adventure, and I'm level 42 doing the 4th pride and already 15 hours into the game, that's plain stupid, I think real life is going to kill this character...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

How do you get past the issue that it's such a long game? I'm currently further than I've ever been playing easy adventure, and I'm level 42 doing the 4th pride and already 15 hours into the game, that's plain stupid, I think real life is going to kill this character...

play in sittings

i like to finish one tier of dungeons and then go do something else for a while