Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I literally posted how much I enjoyed those sidequests in this very thread and ten minutes later...

lol if u think Yoko Taro can put children in a game without planning to brutally murder them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ixjuvin posted:

lol if u think Yoko Taro can put children in a game without planning to brutally murder them

I'm sorry I forgot okay

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hikaki posted:

I don't think the point of that part was that 9S is so far gone that he'd still kill 2B if she were walking and talking in front of him. It's a role reversal.

This is correct. Remember, the essential design of the Tower is a world where everything has been turned upside down.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It's kind of interesting to play Breath of the Wild after this game. It's a lot harder to accept the casual slaughter of goblins who are just sitting around by a fire, or sleeping, or dancing--especially because they can come back to life, just for Link to kill them again and again. There's also a tooltip that says something like "if you perform a perfect dodge in combat, you are rewarded with a chance to unleash a flurry of attacks," and that choice of calling it a reward just made me think of Yoko Taro describing killing games.

Also I think it's interesting that Yoko Taro is getting so many interviews and videos lately. Was it like this for the original Nier, or for Drakengard 3? I'm wondering if Square-Enix is trying to build him some name recognition like Kojima or Suda51, etc.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Pascal selling the kids as weapons is the gut punch in and of itself. They aren't "vendor trash" weapons are the most important collectible in the game, and unlock a piece of content if you collect and upgrade them all.

Not the weapons, the Children's Cores. I won't argue the rest, though, since it's all subjective v:shobon:v

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

Also I think it's interesting that Yoko Taro is getting so many interviews and videos lately. Was it like this for the original Nier, or for Drakengard 3? I'm wondering if Square-Enix is trying to build him some name recognition like Kojima or Suda51, etc.

I think it's both Square-Enix realizing that he's a surprisingly photogenic man and the fact that this is his first real hit. NieR 1's become a bit of a cult classic, but Automata - a console port - hitting the top of the Steam charts tells me that the game did smashingly well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cephas posted:

It's kind of interesting to play Breath of the Wild after this game. It's a lot harder to accept the casual slaughter of goblins who are just sitting around by a fire, or sleeping, or dancing--especially because they can come back to life, just for Link to kill them again and again. There's also a tooltip that says something like "if you perform a perfect dodge in combat, you are rewarded with a chance to unleash a flurry of attacks," and that choice of calling it a reward just made me think of Yoko Taro describing killing games.

Yeah, especially murking a goblin that's just napping peacefully by a river seems kind of brutal.

On that note, it's pretty interesting that three games about post-apocalyptic futures with empty-feeling worlds where nature has overgrown everything and machines have displaced people all came out around the same time. Must be something in the air

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I love that for at least 3-5 more months this thread is a lotta black bricks

E: not being a dick I just mean there is a buncha goodness ya Don't​ want to ruin

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Despite recommendations, I finally finished hard mode prologue after 3 hours.

The trick is;

- Get enough exp for level 4.
- Literally only ever use your ranged weapons, except to chop up bullet-proof shields.
- Grab every healing ware scattered throughout the level.
- Heal to 100% every single time you are hit, even if it's just 50hp short of full, you have so many small heals that you're more likely to die with them.

The only part I had trouble with was the one-hit kill from the final boss guy. I finally just used the melee-defense for 15 seconds item in case I got hit, although I have no idea if it saves you from being 1-shotted as I managed to avoid being smashed before I found out. When you get the big arm then you've basically won afaik.

Fun game anyway.

Took me about 3 hours as well, so far I've only played on Hard. I think I probably died about 10 times, you have to figure out which things are 1HKO and how to avoid them, otherwise it's not too bad.

Hard mode isn't that fun actually, normal fights pose some risk because you often die in ~2 hits, but bosses and other 1HKO enemies are either memorization or ranged weapons. Overlevel and you presumably bring the game back to normal mode without lock on. You need to always keep your health at full and avoid melee engagement with bigger enemies of higher level than you, which kinda takes some fun out of the action aspects. Because the dodge is all i-frames and you can mash it a lot of fights are long sequences of mashing dodge and running back for range attacks, and setting 9S to aggressive.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How do you die in 1-2 hits on normal?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

verbal enema posted:

I mean typical fights, not fights on normal difficulty.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The solution to hard mode is to be 10 levels higher than the enemies. So theyll only 2 or 3 shot you instead.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think Nioh made me feel that getting hit in an action game is my fault and Hard Difficulty certainly punishes you as if it is, just like Nioh.

But there's often so much happening on screen even with typical encounters that I'm usually trying to make out what's going on, guessing when I'm going to get hit and spamming dodge until I'm away from enemies or I see the animation and can toss them into the air. If I try to just engage enemies, look for tells and attack when I'm clear I'll always wind up caught in something that will one or two hit kill me. I've also only gotten as far as the part where the central city collapses revealing an alien ship. so I have no idea if it will get worse or better.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Iretep posted:

The solution to hard mode is to be 10 levels higher than the enemies. So theyll only 2 or 3 shot you instead.

Right, I heard that by midway point I will be 10 levels higher so I planned to stick it out

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

Took me about 3 hours as well, so far I've only played on Hard. I think I probably died about 10 times, you have to figure out which things are 1HKO and how to avoid them, otherwise it's not too bad.

Hard mode isn't that fun actually, normal fights pose some risk because you often die in ~2 hits, but bosses and other 1HKO enemies are either memorization or ranged weapons. Overlevel and you presumably bring the game back to normal mode without lock on. You need to always keep your health at full and avoid melee engagement with bigger enemies of higher level than you, which kinda takes some fun out of the action aspects. Because the dodge is all i-frames and you can mash it a lot of fights are long sequences of mashing dodge and running back for range attacks, and setting 9S to aggressive.

I'll echo this sentiment, even if you're capable of overcoming the Hard Mode challenges I feel like it just doesn't encourage fun play.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

verbal enema posted:

I had a floating explody machine come in from just offscreen and turn A2 into a pile of scrap once. The drat things don't yell like the ones with legs do.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Seeing a crowd of those shrieking soup cans come running up over the top of a sand dune in route B made me say 'oh poo poo' irl. Wish I had screencapped it, it was perfectly framed and everything.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
How do I reach the flower location in the Desert for the Emil's Memories quest?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Iretep posted:

Not really, it's just to have a proper chip load out. I switched from normal to hard around level 25, and was going to against content that was 10+ levels above me and still not getting one shot. The game throws so many healing options at you that as long as you're not getting one shot you can easily cruise through anything (aside from like the gold robots who take basically no damage)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
How on earth do you reach that one chest in the Flooded City.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Either fill up on speed and evade distance chips and execute a really good triple longjump, or remote-control one of the flying bots and self-destruct on the rooftop. There's Youtube clips of the former, if you want to know the exact button combination.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

From the building in the middle sort of where the worm thing is, you can use all of the air moves to jump across. So jump, jump+pod to get tossed forward, dash, hold X to float, while floating do that helicopter kick thing, then spam light attack if you need to close the last bit of distance.

Oxxidation posted:

Either fill up on speed and evade distance chips and execute a really good triple longjump, or remote-control one of the flying bots and self-destruct on the rooftop. There's Youtube clips of the former, if you want to know the exact button combination.

I actually don't think I had either move speed or evade range chips when I did it. At most I had a move speed+2 because that's all I ever used.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You have to go into the tunnels underground and then come out the SW ( I think. In any case the tunnels are the key) exit which puts you into a ravine that leads to a ledge where you can jump over to the top of the wall it's behind.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

You don't even have to self destruct, you can open chests as a remote controlled machine.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Opposing Farce posted:

I feel like if you were expecting the machine cores Pascal sells to, like, do something you kind of missed the point of that beat.

I thought they would be a necessary upgrade material to get the machine heads up to level 3. That's how it should have been. Also, they should have started talking when fully upgraded.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't know how you're supposed to do it, but you can clip up on top of a rock to the right of the wall, launch attack -> double jump -> dash over to the left and get there.

Bad Seafood posted:

You can easily get over there with a triple kick. Jump, and hold jump so you grab the pod. Press light attack to do a spinny kick. Then double jump, grab the pod again, and do your second kick. Dash, grab it a third time, and do your third kick if you need to but you're probably there already.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Oxxidation posted:

Papercut posted:

From the building in the middle sort of where the worm thing is, you can use all of the air moves to jump across. So jump, jump+pod to get tossed forward, dash, hold X to float, while floating do that helicopter kick thing, then spam light attack if you need to close the last bit of distance.

Maxwell Adams posted:

You can easily get over there with a triple kick. Jump, and hold jump so you grab the pod. Press light attack to do a spinny kick. Then double jump, grab the pod again, and do your second kick. Dash, grab it a third time, and do your third kick if you need to but you're probably there already.
Jeez.

Opposing Farce posted:

I feel like if you were expecting the machine cores Pascal sells to, like, do something you kind of missed the point of that beat.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I thought they would be a necessary upgrade material to get the machine heads up to level 3. That's how it should have been. Also, they should have started talking when fully upgraded.
They do have a use: you can sell them to the scrap dealer back at the Resistance Camp for a tidy profit (double what you paid Pascal).

Taro Yoko!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Oxxidation posted:

How do you use flying robots to get to anything, every time I've taken one over they immediately drop to the ground and can barely float at all before falling again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hold the jump button.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Snak posted:

Hold the jump button.

...That's what I do, and then after a bit they immediately fall without gaining anything near the distance a properly executed jump sequence can manage.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, sure? But you can easily reach the chest we were talking about with a floating unit. So... Yeah, you can't use them to fly all over, but in that specific instance, I know for a fact that it works just fine.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Snak posted:

I mean, sure? But you can easily reach the chest we were talking about with a floating unit. So... Yeah, you can't use them to fly all over, but in that specific instance, I know for a fact that it works just fine.

I tried a floating bot, it wouldn't work, whether I held the button or feathered it. Robosnakes work, though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eopia posted:

How do you use flying robots to get to anything, every time I've taken one over they immediately drop to the ground and can barely float at all before falling again.

I jump, do the fastball special thing where the pod hucks you super far, double jump and instantly mash out the float/attack thing then finally airdodge. I literally got to everything in this game without chips and that was more then enough to get me to that chest.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My game wigged out during the secret boss fight and allowed me to get a better look at him, so I noticed something interesting. (Spoilers, obviously): https://imgur.com/a/S9ATq

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Heath posted:

My game wigged out during the secret boss fight and allowed me to get a better look at him, so I noticed something interesting. (Spoilers, obviously): https://imgur.com/a/S9ATq

Oh god that's great

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

Tap jump with the flyer.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 3, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I want to thank you folks for having the earnest back and forth discussion about the themes of this game and what does and doesn't work when it comes to what kind of emotions it evoked.

I didn't mention it but coming across Pascal selling robot parts made me laugh more than anything else. But it was still one of those "awww poo poo..." kind of laughs that I did at the other side quests. In other words, it worked. It evoked a stronger emotion than just playing the game. So, to that end, I think the Pascal vendor worked just fine. The only problem is, I walked out on Pascal when I first had the scene where he wanted his memory wiped... so it wasn't until I went back and did that scene twice (to kill and then hack him) that I managed to find him in his city wondering "who left all this junk here?" Woof.

I mentioned this to a friend but the other thing about the "2B always kills 9S" twist that made it have zero impact on me was the fact that we're only told about it in the very final moments of the game and there was, in no way, any indication of how important this fact really is other than "because A2 said so." It makes the parts - where 2B's memory of killing 9S causes her to react certain ways - make sense but without some kind of "let's watch her do it over and over in this flashback" it didn't have enough depth to it as a plot point. I dunno how else it could have been conveyed well but it isn't as good as it could have been.

And really, at no point am I trying to poo poo on this title. It's still fantastic and it still has enough scenes with proper emotional gravitas that it's better than most games out there. Fuckin' bucket robot slays me. It's just real goofy to me that the largest points are also the weakest while the subtle ones are the strongest.
But perhaps at the end of the day, that's what makes this game work so well. ;)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 3, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Someone had this question earlier. Have a clip I made for them.

https://youtu.be/aBpzUwaDif8

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anyone with the PC version know what font the in-game UI uses with like datamining and stuff?
It looks a little like Arial Light but the horizontal of the lower case e is slightly diagonal in-game, so it's not quite right.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

DaveKap posted:

I want to thank you folks for having the earnest back and forth discussion about the themes of this game and what does and doesn't work when it comes to what kind of emotions it evoked.

I mentioned this to a friend but the other thing about the "2B always kills 9S" twist that made it have zero impact on me was the fact that we're only told about it in the very final moments of the game and there was, in no way, any indication of how important this fact really is other than "because A2 said so." It makes the parts - where 2B's memory of killing 9S causes her to react certain ways - make sense but without some kind of "let's watch her do it over and over in this flashback" it didn't have enough depth to it as a plot point. I dunno how else it could have been conveyed well but it isn't as good as it could have been.

And really, at no point am I trying to poo poo on this title. It's still fantastic and it still has enough scenes with proper emotional gravitas that it's better than most games out there. Fuckin' bucket robot slays me. It's just real goofy to me that the largest points are also the weakest while the subtle ones are the strongest.
But perhaps at the end of the day, that's what makes this game work so well. ;)

Really the only big flaw of the game in my eyes is that the main characters are left so underdeveloped and kinda distant. You can't even use their artificiality as an excuse because everyone in the first game was artificial as well and came off as really human and well rounded.

Too often when you question character motivations in Automata it comes down to "I guess they were programmed to feel this way" instead of actually being able to point out bits of characterization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I did the E thing. I still can't get over the fact the game made a goofy fight the credits section emotional. The encouraging messages, the music switch-up(s), everything. And the extra bits for deletion, Even the "are you sure" bits got you to think about the decision properly as opposed to just mindlessly picking "yes". Had to screenshot a bunch of it this time, there's some great lines in there and there were some really sweet messages :3:

This game is gonna stick with me a while I think. Heck of an experience.