Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The more I play this, the more I want a Shadowrun like version of this game; hard fantasy just doesn't do it for me like sci-fi does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Roobanguy posted:

only if you have a tailor and don't care if the rng fucks you for weeks.

Or literally half a year, which is how long i've been waiting in real life for that loving event to proc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The tailor event isn't worth it; you're more likely, by far, to get the same armor by running terrorized town missions.

The events that are worth carrying a dude around for:

1) cultist, special helmet and armor
2) Bowyer, special bow
3) Caravan hand, cart carrying capacity upgrade
4) houndmaster, wolf pet doggy that makes wolf noises instead of dog noises
5) I've been told the historian does something but haven't verified

Something else?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Back Hack posted:

The more I play this, the more I want a Shadowrun like version of this game; hard fantasy just doesn't do it for me like sci-fi does.

I feel you. Have you tried Shadowrun: Hong Kong? The extended version is ace.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Historian has an event that might remove the Dumb trait from a Brother, and ratcatchers and fishermen sometimes make nets.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh my god. The game keeps giving me the same god drat contract to burn three towns that are so far apart and separated by so much water that it simply can't be done in the time limit. I have tried four times; it isn't going to happen. I have turned it down and comes right back up; it's the only thing the noble house I'm working for will give me besides random goblin jobs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How long does the noble war last? It's so brutal i'm tempted to partially skip it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How long does the noble war last? It's so brutal i'm tempted to partially skip it.

I'll let you know. Mine started on day 82 and I'm currently on day 120. I have been at "Almost Over" for over a week.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Having watched a stream of it, get ready for it to take about 4-10 realtime hours. I know when it hit "almost over" it was at least 3 hours more.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lunethex posted:

Having watched a stream of it, get ready for it to take about 4-10 realtime hours. I know when it hit "almost over" it was at least 3 hours more.

Did it end after the streamer took one last contract or did it just end on its own? Because :tizzy: if I'm expected to actually do this round the world in four days bullshit they keep handing me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The tailor event isn't worth it; you're more likely, by far, to get the same armor by running terrorized town missions.

I got two sets this way. The armor is pretty good.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

marshmallow creep posted:

Did it end after the streamer took one last contract or did it just end on its own? Because :tizzy: if I'm expected to actually do this round the world in four days bullshit they keep handing me.

I do not remember that, sorry :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are there any skilled streamers / YouTubers worth recommending wrt this game?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Something else?

Monks give you a lot of options in events that diffuse situations, like when your dudes decide to start poo poo in towns. Hedge Knights also open up a lot of options to intimidate people, though you want Hedge Knights anyway if you can afford them.

The historian event that people are talking about (I think) is the one where you run into a merchant who offers to sell you a map to an ancient ruin. You need a historian to decode the map, which reveals the relevant location. I have no idea what you actually find there, though—I got the event and decoded the map, but the location is like ten days marching from civilization and I haven't gone yet.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I got two sets this way. The armor is pretty good.

Getting disguised bandits seems even less likely than getting the armor making event. I've done a shitload of terror missions but only got bandits a single time.

marshmallow creep posted:

I'd like to know this too. I've had a war raging for what feels like ages, and while the big fights are sort of cool, the rewards seem pretty poo poo for the degree of risk. I haven't seen any special loot of any description except shields with house emblems on them, despite winning two or three of the huge battles and two sieges.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 2, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The events that are worth carrying a dude around for:

1) cultist, special helmet and armor
2) Bowyer, special bow
3) Caravan hand, cart carrying capacity upgrade
4) houndmaster, wolf pet doggy that makes wolf noises instead of dog noises
5) I've been told the historian does something but haven't verified

Something else?

I haven't seen it but thieves can apparently steal a treasure map somehow (possibly this is just an option for a regular event) and then you need a historian to translate the map which then leads you to a camp containing a guaranteed unique item.

Swordmasters and I think also retired soldiers can teach other brothers to fight better giving stat ups.

Brawlers can also do this though I have a feeling that they can only do it to non-martial backgrounds, and they probably have to be low level. The event is pretty brutal though, poor dude gets the poo poo punched out of him :(

There's also a hilariously :stonk: (but fairly obscure) event where if you have a butcher and a flagellant, the butcher will give the flagellant tips on how to whip himself better, which gives them both stat and mood increases.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Wallet posted:

Getting disguised bandits seems even less likely than getting the armor making event. I've done a shitload of terror missions but only got bandits a single time.

If you're not on ironman you can save before you accept the contract and then just reload and re accept if they aren't bandits when you start the fight.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Reading the TW: Warhammer LPs is really making me want mods for this so I can have a Warhammer mod. Wanna murder orcs in the name of Sigmar :black101:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't seen it but thieves can apparently steal a treasure map somehow (possibly this is just an option for a regular event) and then you need a historian to translate the map which then leads you to a camp containing a guaranteed unique item.

Swordmasters and I think also retired soldiers can teach other brothers to fight better giving stat ups.

Brawlers can also do this though I have a feeling that they can only do it to non-martial backgrounds, and they probably have to be low level. The event is pretty brutal though, poor dude gets the poo poo punched out of him :(

There's also a hilariously :stonk: (but fairly obscure) event where if you have a butcher and a flagellant, the butcher will give the flagellant tips on how to whip himself better, which gives them both stat and mood increases.

There's a very small chance of someone offering to sell you a map. For what its worth it can be goddamn hard as gently caress, i bought one and it lead to a black monolith that had *47* undead units, 1 was a priest, probably 15 legionnaires, 15 fallen heroes and the remainder were mixed chaff.

I'm not sure its even possible to do that fight short of retreat tactics.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
in Noble War, how do you tell which type of seige you're being offered, I really don't want to do the two fights in immediate succession one ever again

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sloober posted:

There's a very small chance of someone offering to sell you a map. For what its worth it can be goddamn hard as gently caress, i bought one and it lead to a black monolith that had *47* undead units, 1 was a priest, probably 15 legionnaires, 15 fallen heroes and the remainder were mixed chaff.

I'm not sure its even possible to do that fight short of retreat tactics.

Interesting. I don't think there can be more than one black monolith per game, so it sounds like the map maybe points you in the direction of a place guaranteed to have unique gear, rather than generating a site for you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you guys give Fatigue to your frontline guys every single level up? These heavy armours are tremendously costly in terms of Fatigue, my mercs can barely swing a flail.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys give Fatigue to your frontline guys every single level up? These heavy armours are tremendously costly in terms of Fatigue, my mercs can barely swing a flail.

Just about!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That and Brawny. Because poo poo like wolfriders and necrosavants exist and I want even the backline to be able to wear reinforced mail hauberks and lamellar and still smash poo poo.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
I haven't translated a map since EA, but the way it went down I like to imagine my historian had a decent grasp of what he was doing, but was also bullshitting and totally glossed over some words he didn't understand. "Vampires" for example.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm not sure if my game is bugged or not. I was getting ambitions and completing them regularly, then I got the "Get renown to 8000" one, and after a few days I realized that I was a long way from accomplishing that goal, so I abandoned it. It took maybe 10 days, but I finally got offered another ambition, completed it, and then nothing for like the last 60 days. I haven't been offered the ambition to impress a noble house, so those contracts are denied to me, and there is a noble war going on that I haven't seen any sign of, other than a few random events to free a noble from a chain gang.

This is my first time playing, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm on day 150 if that matters.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

cerebral posted:

I'm not sure if my game is bugged or not. I was getting ambitions and completing them regularly, then I got the "Get renown to 8000" one, and after a few days I realized that I was a long way from accomplishing that goal, so I abandoned it. It took maybe 10 days, but I finally got offered another ambition, completed it, and then nothing for like the last 60 days. I haven't been offered the ambition to impress a noble house, so those contracts are denied to me, and there is a noble war going on that I haven't seen any sign of, other than a few random events to free a noble from a chain gang.

This is my first time playing, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm on day 150 if that matters.

Sounds buggy. Usually you dont have to wait more than a few days before a new ambition.

I retired one of mine shortly after the end of the first crisis, ended on day like 110

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

God I hope that was the last battle of the Noble War. I lost four good men.

How many men have you guys led to their deaths so far? I'm up to 34.

By the way, after seeing it happen three times, I can now confirm Zweihanders can have Berserk. Maybe they're not all spec'd exactly the same, maybe sometimes they don't take advantage of it because of fatigue issues, but they definitely can have it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cerebral posted:

My guess is that you managed to bug out the game by not doing the impress noble house ambition by the time you hit noble war. Not sure how to report bugs for this game though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is there some way to highlight which tiles are passable and which aren't? I find the battlefields quite hard to parse sometimes

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wallet posted:

I got disguised bandits a second time (without cheesing it at all) and got 8 sets out of it. Didn't know there was a hide variant as well as a mail variant.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 3, 2017

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

There is someone out there with far, far too much time of his hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UutZ7qCtSdo

ZoninSilver posted:

I actually found the opposite, in that greatswords felt REALLY good against the ancient dead, primarily because split allows you to hit through the shield wall into the inevitable pikeman behind him. Rarely takes more than 2 hits to down one that way I found, and that faction feels a LOT less threatening once the pikes are down. At least my performance against them with 2 greatswords mixed in felt significantly stronger than in a previous game where I didnt really use any other 2 handers.

This makes me think it might be worthwhile to have greatsword guys with Rotation perk for fighting ancient dead. If you don't have a lot of greatswords, you can have them stand in the front line, use split to kill their corresponding pikeman, then rotate them one spot over to kill the next one and so on. I hadn't thought of that before. I only had 2 greatswordsmen too but I felt that they couldn't kill the pikemen fast enough when there were 6+ of them, and then there are still the shield guys to deal with. So I gave everyone axes to destroy the shield wall ASAP, and it worked pretty well.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kenzie posted:

There is someone out there with far, far too much time of his hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UutZ7qCtSdo

The armor that guy was using:

:stare:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wish there was a way to rename your merc band- after getting that armor, I'd want to rename my group 'The Sons of Davkul' or something like that, and roam the land slaying my foes in the name of the Blood God Davkul :black101:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Apparently it is attained by a cultist event asking you to sacrifice one of your brothers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Voyager I posted:

Apparently it is attained by a cultist event asking you to sacrifice one of your brothers.

If Dirk the Sergeant asks for that, for that armor? I might say yes.

Dirk is crazy but he is like, the heart of the team.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I know everyone keeps saying initiative is a dump skill, unless I'm misunderstand this (which I probably am), but with the dodge perk you get a higher return on your MD and RD by leveling up initiative instead. Normally it wouldn't say that, but initiative I've noticed has the highest tick rate of all the skills when leveling up, on top of fact most character have an extremely high base initiative level to start with.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 3, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Anyone else getting the game just not working anymore? Whenever I try to start a new campaign, I get as far as the Hoggart fight before a bunch of gibberish pop-ups assault me and the game crashes. Validating the cache does nothing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Back Hack posted:

I know everyone keeps saying initiative is a dump skill, unless I'm misunderstand this (which I probably am), but with the dodge perk you get a higher return on your MD and RD by leveling up initiative instead. Normally it wouldn't say that, but initiative I've noticed has the highest tick rate of all the skills when leveling up, on top of fact most character an extremely high base initiative level.

The main problem with Dodge is that Init reduces as you get tired, which means Dodge loses some effectiveness as Fatigue builds up.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The main problem with Dodge is that Init reduces as you get tired, which means Dodge loses some effectiveness as Fatigue builds up.

My fatigue problems stopped being a problem once I started unlocking weapon mastery skills and start opting for skipping rounds, once I started doing that my guys started to survive more encounters and were able to be more effective overall because they were able to use their weapon abilities more often.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On the other end of the spectrum, most of my guys have maces/flails/axes and they take up a shitton of fatigue to swing.

Do brothers get morale penalties for being in a fight for too long? I had a fight vs the ancient legionaries, 12 of them and 3 auxiliary's. I only lost one guy (one of the newer dudes, as usual) but my core shieldwall did nothing but hold up their shields (fatigue conserving) while my more experienced brothers flanked with the greatsword and cut down the pike users.

However once I got down to about 3 legionaries left, my guys just started legging it. I had to hit retreat, take the wounds on every brother, rest up for half a day and finish off the final 3. I don't care about the loot, i'm doing this for the ambition, but goddamn. That's a tad annoying.