Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
So, I originally had a SEA-HKG-SEA booked but grabbed a separate ticket originating in HKG to save $1000 for the rest when the work trip came up a few months later. So I'm double booked on this flight. Fill out the form to cancel the return on my original, but as of this morning it hasn't processed. I notice the seat next to me opened up, and I changed to block off the other with my dead itinerary after seeing a ton of open seats and few on the standby list. Maybe I'll have an empty seat for this leg?

Nope. Ignoring all of the empty middle seats, they suss out my non-checked in itinerary and assign it to one of the standbys.

My row mate is the largest man I have ever sat next to on a plane. I am 6'4". I have spent the last 7 hours crammed next to a window with the air conditioning pointed at my face to avoid the smell. Currently taking a break and posting from the lavatory.

5 more hours until 4 more hours until 10 more hours. Plus a half dozen for layovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
On the plus side of it, you get to miss most of April Fool's day.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What are you getting out of this adventure, other than a high probability of a DVT?

Edit: In a plane postin about planes

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I got an hour nap so I have a second wind and neck pain now.

The most annoying thing so far is Delta still has not figured out how to serve warm bread (to plebes).

Residency Evil posted:

What are you getting out of this adventure, other than a high probability of a DVT?

HK - Biking and hiking and dim sum (success)
São Paulo - Work, and being someplace I haven't been yet.
Singapore - Work, swim in Marina Bay boat pool, Im out of Boh tea so this is really just a complicated grocery trip.
Other - Diamond so the wife and I can go to Europe next year with some GUCs.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

No one can figure out how to sell me one of those first class seats with any currency other than buying a new ticket for $6000. Boo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So has anyone else got a directive from higher up that you are not to fly on the airlines / cities that prohibit onboard laptops?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
We were told to leave them at home and get loan laptops from the local offices wherever we are going.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just added DTW - Get halfway to your destination - DTW to my list of travel experiences. Apparently something broke on the plane and they didn't want to leave it stranded not in Detroit. After being stuck in Delta's system wide shutdown earlier this year maybe it's a sign.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

I just added DTW - Get halfway to your destination - DTW to my list of travel experiences. Apparently something broke on the plane and they didn't want to leave it stranded not in Detroit. After being stuck in Delta's system wide shutdown earlier this year maybe it's a sign.

I just added pass out on the floor at DTW to mine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hot taek: Global upgrades are trash on delta.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hot taek: Global upgrades are trash on delta.

I would kill for one right now. Still 13 first seats open for this flight that leaves in an hour and they are going out empty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just use miles

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just use miles

No space available.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arzakon posted:

I just added pass out on the floor at DTW to mine.

I'm part of this crazy thing?

Get the brussel sprout pizza at Bigalora.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Arzakon posted:

No space available.

:psyduck:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arzakon posted:

No space available.

:negative:

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
I previously lived in New York and was never a fan of LGA, but the pain was sort of spread out as a non-business traveler. Now that I've done 10+ business trips into LGA from my new home base since the beginning of the year I think I can confidently say it is the worst place on earth. I basically just assume that every departure flight will be delayed at this point. The food options are abysmal, there is no seating, there is like one poorly designed bathroom in the United terminal, and they keep moving the loving taxi stand all over the place because of the construction. The United gods have smiled on me during this stretch and I've managed to use the app to slide onto some already delayed flights that basically approximated my original departure time, but it easily could have been so, so much worse.

In summary, I hope the Auntie Anne's (who the hell eats there?) spontaneously combusts and the whole place burns down.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I ate a lot of Auntie Anne's when I was stuck at an airport on standby for a day. I don't know why but it seemed better than the other offerings.

I also learned that day I could have changed my ticket for $75 and left on the first flight instead of waiting on standby for 6 more. Instead, I paid it hours later and it wound up I would have made that flight on standby anyway. Yay.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 1, 2017

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

I also learned that day I could have changed my ticket for $75 and left on the first flight instead of waiting on standby for 6 more. Instead, I paid it hours later and it wound up I would have made that flight on standby anyway. Yay.

My firm doesn't have a real substantive travel policy, but I have never seen someone question a charge for the $75 change fee if you are going to save yourself a couple hours. Being able to do same day changes is one of the few nice things about Southwest.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arzakon posted:

No space available.

If you're in the right fare class you can use miles to upgrade which is exactly the same process and priority as a global upgrade.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're in the right fare class you can use miles to upgrade which is exactly the same process and priority as a global upgrade.

I wasn't for this leg. I didn't think there was a standby process for upgrading with miles if there wasn't space like GUC. Rest of my itinerary is in B so hopefully I can get some more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arzakon posted:

So, I originally had a SEA-HKG-SEA booked but grabbed a separate ticket originating in HKG to save $1000 for the rest when the work trip came up a few months later. So I'm double booked on this flight. Fill out the form to cancel the return on my original, but as of this morning it hasn't processed. I notice the seat next to me opened up, and I changed to block off the other with my dead itinerary after seeing a ton of open seats and few on the standby list. Maybe I'll have an empty seat for this leg?

Nope. Ignoring all of the empty middle seats, they suss out my non-checked in itinerary and assign it to one of the standbys.

My row mate is the largest man I have ever sat next to on a plane. I am 6'4". I have spent the last 7 hours crammed next to a window with the air conditioning pointed at my face to avoid the smell. Currently taking a break and posting from the lavatory.

5 more hours until 4 more hours until 10 more hours. Plus a half dozen for layovers.

I've been in LAS for 13 straight hours. 3 more to go. :sigh:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They now sell upgradable seats at the kiosk now when you check in for pretty low (for international), so upgrading with miles at the gate seems really hard to do. I purchase them almost every time because I can't expense the business class ticket because of the percentage rule but the upgrades are cheap enough to expense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had to sit in the back today on the way home next to a tremendous fat lady

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If anyone is stuck at DTW for any measurable amount of time there's a Sheraton nearby that is 3K/ night. Send me a PM and I will meet and buy you a beer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And hopefully help them start the search for a new job if they are stranded and using points for a hotel

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

This was a couple days ago, but somehow my wife got a same day change to an earlier United flight MCO-ORD simply by asking. No status (not even a MileagePlus account), no weather or other ops issues, no sob story, no fee, just...asked and received. How unusual is this for UA?

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

This was a couple days ago, but somehow my wife got a same day change to an earlier United flight MCO-ORD simply by asking. No status (not even a MileagePlus account), no weather or other ops issues, no sob story, no fee, just...asked and received. How unusual is this for UA?

Maybe they overbooked her original flight so she was essentially doing UA a favor. But goes to show that it never hurts to ask.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pig slut lisa posted:

The value of an empty seat to an airline drops to zero on departure. If someone's just curious about leaving earlier, and doesn't seem likely to pay a change fee, it's better that they take the early departure since their late seat might be worth more in the future.

I don't fly UA but I've had that experience (with status, but I don't mention it or use the card ever) on DL, AA, and WN.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

yoloer420 posted:

So I'm going to be 70 status credits short of Qantas gold this year (work sends me economy, even long haul). Should I swap to star alliance? I fly out of Australia, mostly to US and Singapore.

I'm looking for a good lounge network both in Australia and US/South East Asia. Any thoughts?

Work will pay for lounge membership.

A few days late but I can help here as I know there aren't many Australians here. You do know you can get 75 bonus status credits with Qantas from some new credit cards? Although it might be too late for that.

I have found it's not really worth it swapping out from Qantas but you could try Virgin even though they aren't totally part of an alliance. Your biggest problem is that if you're flying to Singapore and the states then you'll be split across two Star Alliance airlines (Singapore or United) which won't always maximise the amount of status you'd get if you were just on one carrier all the time. It also depends where in the states you fly to. SFO is a big United hub for example (although good thing Qantas started direct flights again about a year ago).

Virgin you can get some good benefits from and from what I gather it's easier getting status compared to Qantas.

Also if you're flying domestically a fair bit then I'd stick to Qantas if you can. I just much prefer their domestic network, planes, terminals and lounges.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The value of an empty seat to an airline drops to zero on departure. If someone's just curious about leaving earlier, and doesn't seem likely to pay a change fee, it's better that they take the early departure since their late seat might be worth more in the future.

I don't fly UA but I've had that experience (with status, but I don't mention it or use the card ever) on DL, AA, and WN.

You know they see it the second they pull up your reservation, right?

By the same token the change fee becomes worthless if it becomes known or policy to not charge it to anyone asking. They got a nice agent or more likely , as pointed out, there was an operational gain by doing it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've done the earlier flight thing at the gate with Delta a few times. Twice I've been turned down - when trying to switch from a direct redeye to indirect flight where the 2nd leg was the last flight of the day; switching from 2nd flight of morning to 1st flight of morning.

As mentioned, if they have an open seat they'll usually put you as a standby.

Unless you're wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and flipflops. :haw:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If I get a ticket using Delta miles to Europe, can I pay cash to upgrade to Comfort+? Assuming I book Main Cabin, not Basic Economy, of course...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Omne posted:

If I get a ticket using Delta miles to Europe, can I pay cash to upgrade to Comfort+? Assuming I book Main Cabin, not Basic Economy, of course...

You can't get a Basic Economy award ticket, that's a cash fare class only. You can purchase Comfort+ at booking for a main cabin award ticket. It is a pretty big ripoff in my opinion. The only way it's worth it is if you're really loving tall because other than the 3 inches of legroom you're getting the same service and meals and IFE as the rest of Y.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If you check the Delta app or online beginning a few days before your flight you may be given the opportunity to upgrade for x$ or miles. It depends on how many premium seats are open, and available only if you purchased a main cabin ticket - and how much depends on the distance of the flight.

If they can convince 10 people to pay an extra $60 ea they come out $600 ahead of moving 10 people with status for free.

You usually are better off with exit row seats on Delta vs Comfort+ Depending on the plane I've ended up with more leg room there.

Edit: beaten :argh:

I was offered an upgrade to 1st class for $300 from LAX to ATL a couple of Tuesdays ago

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 4, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

You know they see it the second they pull up your reservation, right?

By the same token the change fee becomes worthless if it becomes known or policy to not charge it to anyone asking. They got a nice agent or more likely , as pointed out, there was an operational gain by doing it.

Well yeah, but it's important for me and my feelings to not act like a FlyerTalk poster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

If you check the Delta app or online beginning a few days before your flight you may be given the opportunity to upgrade for x$ or miles. It depends on how many premium seats are open, and available only if you purchased a main cabin ticket - and how much depends on the distance of the flight.

If they can convince 10 people to pay an extra $60 ea they come out $600 ahead of moving 10 people with status for free.

You usually are better off with exit row seats on Delta vs Comfort+ Depending on the plane I've ended up with more leg room there.

Edit: beaten :argh:

I was offered an upgrade to 1st class for $300 from LAX to ATL a couple of Tuesdays ago

If you know you want Comfort+ you should lock it in at booking for international flights because PMs and DMs get complimentary access to Comfort+ at booking. Usually all the inventory that isn't middle seats disappears very quickly, as there's a high proportion of PM/DM on long haul international.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

I used to get those all the time, but I hardly ever get them anymore. They usually weren't worth it, especially because even though you were first class now, you didn't get the MQM multiplier that a full fare first class ticket got.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, I didn't bite - I already had the exit row next to the attendant jumpseat - which is my preferred seat in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got my first upgrade to first class since dropping to Silver on Delta.

Just required me to be on a 1030pm flight that got delayed until 3am.