Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll prob go the SD Card route then; keep it under 4 gigs though? Thanks again for all the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'll prob go the SD Card route then; keep it under 4 gigs though? Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah under 4 gigs and FAT 16 format, if you can manage it, has the least problem. You can go higher and use FAT32, but you will start to have issues, which may require you to partition a larger device to have the visible size to a computer of a smaller device.

The hacked save file and the installer code are under 512 MB in size so you don't need much space.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you very much. I had no idea the Xbox Softmod stuff could do this. could it do this stuff back in the days too and people where just more tight lipped about it? I'm amazed!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you have a rooted Android phone, there's a program called "drivedroid" that worked for me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's the one thing I don't :( oh wel

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thank you very much. I had no idea the Xbox Softmod stuff could do this. could it do this stuff back in the days too and people where just more tight lipped about it? I'm amazed!

Most of this stuff hasn't changed since 2006 - 2007 or so - the softmod dashboard you'll install is from early 2007 iirc. But it all works now. Most of the stuff worked in the latter years of the Xbox before the 360 came out too, but people would be shady about it to not get banned from Xbox Live and forums.

Don't forget to buy component cables! Most Xbox games run at 480p,and a lot do 720p or even a few 1080i. It can look very nice on a modern HDTV.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

If you have a model 1.0 or 1.1 Xbox and feel comfortable soldering two pretty large points on the motherboard consider doing a "TSOP mod". It's basically re-connecting the lines that make the BIOS chip writable then writing modchip firmware directly to it over the stock retail BIOS. Those first two models had a 1Mb TSOP to hold the 256Kb retail BIOS because the dev systems needed the full 1Mb, so you can fit a 512Kb modchip BIOS like Xecuter2. I don't like the softmod very much because you have to ATA lock any replacement HDD and copy your old files to it with something like XboxHDM, because you can't enlarge the E: partition, and because it depends on a working msdash in C: because it uses a font exploit in the stock dashboard. With modchip BIOS you can just drop in any drive you like, boot Slayers or AutoInstallerDeluxe, partition, and install the dashboard.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I will defend Mystic Quest until the day I die. :respek:

al-azad posted:

The music is good, sure.

It definitely is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Zq95YQGnY

[this gets stuck in my head so bad]

... but I think it's also a fun game. The combat can get repetitive, but I don't think it's that much worse than the repetitiveness of any other JRPG of that generation. I like how enemies / bosses changed appearance based on their health, which I wish later FF games did [though I know a few times it was done as special circumstances]

e. these too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFwZog4j5Gc

This song triggers ridiculous amounts of happy nostalgia chemicals in my brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZJNljYtfB0

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

I was reading the Genesis entry of the OP and this is the first I heard that the system had RPGs on it. What would you guys recommend?

OH GOD! IS THIS HOW IT STARTS!? :gonk:

If you have an Xbox360 or PS3, the Ultimate Genesis/Megadrive Collection has most of the console's best RPG's. Even the original Phantasy Star for the Master System so you can play the full quadrilogy.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Can any of these Xbox mods be done without a working disk drive? I have 5 xboxes around and would like to get a few going with some good lan games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

The Prototype games and the Infamous games tried to carry those concepts forward but they weren't very good. Basically poster children for the blandness that AAA games descended into over the the past ten years.

prototype and infamous second son/first light are in fact, good

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Only Shallow posted:

If you have a model 1.0 or 1.1 Xbox and feel comfortable soldering two pretty large points on the motherboard consider doing a "TSOP mod". It's basically re-connecting the lines that make the BIOS chip writable then writing modchip firmware directly to it over the stock retail BIOS. Those first two models had a 1Mb TSOP to hold the 256Kb retail BIOS because the dev systems needed the full 1Mb, so you can fit a 512Kb modchip BIOS like Xecuter2. I don't like the softmod very much because you have to ATA lock any replacement HDD and copy your old files to it with something like XboxHDM, because you can't enlarge the E: partition, and because it depends on a working msdash in C: because it uses a font exploit in the stock dashboard. With modchip BIOS you can just drop in any drive you like, boot Slayers or AutoInstallerDeluxe, partition, and install the dashboard.

That sounds easy but I'm too afraid to solder :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

fishmech posted:

Don't forget to buy component cables! Most Xbox games run at 480p,and a lot do 720p or even a few 1080i. It can look very nice on a modern HDTV.
Unless you're in the PAL region, in which case Microsoft removed the options for everything above 480i in favor of PAL-50 mode. Which, to be fair, made sense at the time (the TV I used with my Xbox back in the day didn't even do 60Hz), but is pretty annoying nowadays. I hear you can restore the options via modding, is that true or just something I read on some random forum? (edit: Wikipedia says so, so it must be true) Not that I'd probably bother softmodding my Xbox regardless, I don't use it very often.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can the OG XBOX load games off an SMB share? That seems way easier than finding specific old PATA drives and whatnot?

That's what I do with my freeMcBooted ps2 slim and it's super handy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can the OG XBOX load games off an SMB share? That seems way easier than finding specific old PATA drives and whatnot?

That's what I do with my freeMcBooted ps2 slim and it's super handy.

With a soft or hard mod in place you can send games over ethernet, yeah, but it'll mean slower loading times and some games don't work right. If you can't/won't replace the drive, you may find it a more reliable experience to simply transfer on the one or two games you really want at a time to the stock 8 or 10 gb drive and then pull them off to replace with others as you want.

Again though, it's most large IDE drives that work, so you just need to look around for cheap drives in general, then double-check with the compatibility list before you buy.

RodShaft posted:

Can any of these Xbox mods be done without a working disk drive? I have 5 xboxes around and would like to get a few going with some good lan games.

Depends what's not working. All of the softmods require a working DVD drive to load your game to be exploited, and the hard drive has to be at least readable for the first few bits to copy off the locking key and the needed system software.

If you do a hardmod instead, you don't need a working DVD or hard drive in there because no locking is required and you don't really on software exploits from a game - you can also use any large IDE drive for your storage with a hardmod. You will still want to get a replacement DVD drive in at some point, as there are a few games which can't run off the hard drive and would need to be played off either a burned DVD or a legit one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Retro Freak great success!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's amazing how great Links still is. Man the Xbox was a great console

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also want to track down one of those 1080i games just to see how they look

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fishmech posted:

With a soft or hard mod in place you can send games over ethernet, yeah, but it'll mean slower loading times and some games don't work right. If you can't/won't replace the drive, you may find it a more reliable experience to simply transfer on the one or two games you really want at a time to the stock 8 or 10 gb drive and then pull them off to replace with others as you want.

Again though, it's most large IDE drives that work, so you just need to look around for cheap drives in general, then double-check with the compatibility list before you buy.

Depends what's not working. All of the softmods require a working DVD drive to load your game to be exploited, and the hard drive has to be at least readable for the first few bits to copy off the locking key and the needed system software.

If you do a hardmod instead, you don't need a working DVD or hard drive in there because no locking is required and you don't really on software exploits from a game - you can also use any large IDE drive for your storage with a hardmod. You will still want to get a replacement DVD drive in at some point, as there are a few games which can't run off the hard drive and would need to be played off either a burned DVD or a legit one.

can you not still do the old hotswap softmod without a dvd drive?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So am I hosed on getting composite cables for the Gamecube? The box I bought has the digital out and cables... well, I am sure most of you know how much these are.

E: I am reading Wii component cable work? E: nvm, stupid Youtube comments

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 3, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

So am I hosed on getting composite cables for the Gamecube? The box I bought has the digital out and cables... well, I am sure most of you know how much these are.

You can use a Wii with component cables to play Gamecube games.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 3, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I also want to track down one of those 1080i games just to see how they look

The 1080i supporting games are Atari Anthology, Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair, Enter The Matrix, MX Unleashed, MX vs. ATV Unleashed and Syberia. These are all also games that support 720p.

There's also another 40 games or so that do 720p, including Tony Hawk 4 and the Tony Hawk Underground games, the last few iterations of the sports franchise game like FIFA and NBA Live, Soul Calibur II and The Warriors.

Here's footage of the Dragon's Lair game in 1080i mode (though since it's YouTube, it gets converted to 1080p and has some weirdness from de-interlacing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOJ1IZqPif0

It's among the best, since all the HUD elements properly scale, where some of the other games only have proper scaling in 480 and 720 modes and then just stretch one of those for 1080i (Enter the Matrix has this problem iirc, the HUD and UI in general is stretched from 480p when played in 720p or 1080i, but the game rendering is full res.).

Stux posted:

can you not still do the old hotswap softmod without a dvd drive?

Do you mean the one where you swap an Xbox hard drive out of the xbox while it's running and then try to hook it up to a PC quickly while the PC is booted off a CD or USB drive to a special program? That probably still works, though it was always hard to pull off, and you'd need an old PC around that has IDE ports on the board to pull it off.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 3, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

The cheapest way to do what you want is to buy a wii that can play gamecube games. I picked one up last week for $20. Wii component cable are about $10 on amazon I think.

You can also softmod a wii u to play gamecube as well. You can't play physical games, you have to side load them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gamecube component doesn't even look that great, tbh.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Unless your xbox is a 1.6 version, don't forget to remove the suicide clock battery or it will eventually murder your console. This isn't an optional mod, this is absolutely required if you want your system to last into the future.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mikeosoft/media/xbox%20repair/IMG_20120602_180932.jpg.html

You should also really consider TSOP modding to remove the HDD locking, but if you can't solder at the very least keep a copy of the HDD key (which you can access after soft modding) stored somewhere safe so if your hard drive dies you won't have a bricked system.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Miles McCloud posted:

Unless your xbox is a 1.6 version, don't forget to remove the suicide clock battery or it will eventually murder your console. This isn't an optional mod, this is absolutely required if you want your system to last into the future.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mikeosoft/media/xbox%20repair/IMG_20120602_180932.jpg.html

You should also really consider TSOP modding to remove the HDD locking, but if you can't solder at the very least keep a copy of the HDD key (which you can access after soft modding) stored somewhere safe so if your hard drive dies you won't have a bricked system.

How do you determine if your console is a 1.6 version?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
There's some subtle differences between GameCube component vs Wii component. You can look here: http://retrorgb.com/gamecubevswii.html

Honestly it's not much if a difference so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. However, this whole thread is complaining about pixels and poo poo normal people don't care about, so I say he'll yeah get that poo poo.

I traded a copy of Demon's Crest to get one a few years ago and I love it. I also love that it doesn't have sound plugs attached so you have to plug in both the cables, and the composite video just hangs there, useless, watching all the other cables get used and enjoyed.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Miles McCloud posted:

I'll have to check mine out at some point. It's in a box in pieces right now, I somehow messed up the file system trying to get it to boot into XBMC instead of whatever launcher it was using before, then the mod chip stopped responding, and I never finished working on getting it back up and running.

I'm not great at soldering, but hopefully I can just snip the leads on that bad capacitor and deal with resetting the time on the rare times I'd use the XBox for something. I think mine was a 1st or 2nd revision XBox, it still had the test points for using a solderless mod chip.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

You don't need to solder anything to get rid of the capacitor of doom, it comes right off if you wiggle it around a bit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

You don't need to solder anything to get rid of the capacitor of doom, it comes right off if you wiggle it around a bit.

Confirmed, I did this with mine a few months ago and it didn't put up much of a fight.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to have to do that; is there a chance of bricking it though?

Loving how cheap you can get Xbox games. Scores Soul Calibur 2 for $4 when it's like $50 on ps2 at retro stores around here.

Still debating on installing a HD or not. Usually what happens when I do something like that is I end up never playing anything because I have it all.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also should I try to get my Xbox to the last update if possible?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

fishmech posted:

How do you determine if your console is a 1.6 version?

You can get a good idea without opening based on the manufacture date on the bottom. Late 2003 consoles and beyond will almost all be 1.6. If you've soft modded you can get it off the system information of your dash. If you open it up though it is really easy to tell as 1.6 revision boards are completely different than anything that came before them. They are a better build quality actually, and use a heatsink instead of a fan for the GPU. They also usually have Samsung DVD drives instead of the absolute garbage Thomson DVD drives the early boards tend to have. Unfortunately, they also are impossible to hard mod or TSOP flash. So if you have one keep that HDD key close before they are one HDD fail away from a total brick.

I actually bought a bricked 1.6 a few years back so that I could put the Samsung drive and GPU sink into my 1.0 TSOP modded system and get the best of both worlds.

quote:

I'm going to have to do that; is there a chance of bricking it though?
None, although if you don't softmod it the system will ask for the date every single time you turn it on like it's a Dreamcast or something.

quote:

Still debating on installing a HD or not. Usually what happens when I do something like that is I end up never playing anything because I have it all.
Do it anyway because even if you only install five games they will play much better of HDD than the spotty dvd drive you are likely to have.

quote:

Also should I try to get my Xbox to the last update if possible?
There is no need of this as the softmod completely replaces the dashboard. Just be sure to enable high def resolutions before you do the mod and you'll never need to go back to the stock dash unless you want to manage soundtracks.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for the reminder re the xbox capacitor, had been meaning it to do it on the one I found at a thrift store recently but never got around to it. Thankfully it hadn't leaked yet. My original launch Xbox died a while ago, I was wondering if it was a problem with a mod my friend had installed but maybe it was the cap that killed it as it was working fine with the mod for years

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Are the DVD drives cross compatible on all revisions? So if I find one that works in my stack of xboxes, can I soft mod all of them by swapping it out?

The death battery/capacitor: should I replace it or just break it off? I haven't looked at what revisions I have, but being as my hard modded xbox is the same one I used in college(so pre 2003) I'm guessing they are all thompson/deathbombs.

Also, my son loves playing Spiderman2, Midnight Club 2, and MX Unleashed. and has inherited his fathers love for game breaking or changing glitches. He can get off the map or inside buildings/walls in Midnight Club 2 as well as I can, trap cops/bad guys in impossible spots in Spiderman 2, and get outside the map/get stuck on vehicles in MX. He's 4. I'm pretty sure some of the glitches in Midnight Club 2 haven't been documented anywhere. Is there a place for things like that? I've taken some crazy pics of our stunts, I'll upload them at some point.

also if there's any more open world games where you can just mess around(not GTA, he's 4) I'd love to have more games in our arsenal.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 3, 2017

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
What's the current consensus on storage for Xbox hard drive replacements? Laptop SATA drives? SD card? SSD? (with converters of course) Or still seek out old PATA drives?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hulk ultimate destruction is apparently a really really good open world game I hear. That's why I want it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

UnhandledException posted:

What's the current consensus on storage for Xbox hard drive replacements? Laptop SATA drives? SD card? SSD? (with converters of course) Or still seek out old PATA drives?

Just buying proper IDE drives is way simpler, as they'll work with soft mods and they're available very cheap. If you want to use SSDs and SD/CF adapters and SATA-IDE bridges, you start having to be very picky about the convertors you use to ensure they're still lockable, or you need to go out and get your Xbox properly hardmodded.

Now if you do have a hard modded system, a native IDE SSD or a SATA SSD in a SATA-IDE adapter would definitely be the quietest and fastest storage setup (due to lack of moving parts and seek time), albeit a bit pricey for the storage. SATA laptop drives aren't really going to be much faster than a standard IDE desktop drive since they have to be converted down to the IDE connector to work, but may be easier to get a hold of - they will tend to be less reliable than a desktop drive though.

The IDE drive I picked was brand new and still sealed even though I only paid $30 for it, so there's availability for days on appropriate IDE drives.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
From what I've googled, apparently quite a few laptop SATA drives with a converter will work fine, even with a softmod/locked Xbox, but your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hulk ultimate destruction is apparently a really really good open world game I hear. That's why I want it
Have you played Prototype? If so, sub out any virus-tentacle powers with hulky things (like punching a tank and turning it into TankFists) and you have H:UD.

That's not a knock against Hulk, btw. It's an immensely satisfying game.

• Locked thread