Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sportsgenius86 posted:

My problem is that when you constantly do these long sells of Seth's knee and then he pops up and does a crossbody from the top to the floor or a Phoenix splash it immediately makes me think the selling is total bullshit and takes me out of it.

Have the selling get longer each time as the match goes on or something. But every time HHH did anything to Seth's knee he turned into Peter Griffin selling it because we need like 3 minutes after every spot to think about how smart HHH is.

I actually thought Seth did a really good job of selling the knee as consistently damaged even as he did his high spots and whatnot. The failed buckle bomb and the long delays on the Phoenix Splash climbs were all quite good. But the pace of the match overall was just too slow, and that made it hard to stay invested, especially when combined with the mediocre build and the lack of hardcore spectacle to go with the match stip.

I could see the echo of the famous Trips v HBK Nonsanctioned match in this one, but that one had a better build, better pacing and more cool hardcore poo poo, which is why its a classic. This one had all the right pieces I think, but it was spread to thin across the bread. Whether thats because Trips is too old, Rollins was holding back to protect his leg, or the booking was just bad, who can say?

I WILL say that the finish of that match may have been the best one of the night. The Pedigree Duel into the Table Spot into the decisive win for the babyface to blow off the feud was a perfect Mania Happy Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If your opinions on wrestlemania, or indeed any issue or subect, arent operating on at least two tiers of ironic detachment, that's very bad.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Vince: Roman, we aren't letting up. You're remaining in the main event. Seriously, just give the fans 15 years more and they'll come around to you. I won't give up.

Roman: Yeah, but Vince...

Vince: No, listen. How old are you Roman?

Roman: I'm 31. I was born on May 25, 1985.
(wow, really?!?)

Vince: Oh, you can wrestle way past 55. Ok, give the fans at least 24 more years to adjust. They'll come around.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="Shinjobi" post="470977633"]
Two problems:

2)This is debatable, but I'd argue that Ronda is no longer the draw the WWE wanted her to be.

They couldnt even get the rock. They would have let Ronda beat Taker and win the Raw title if she wanted it

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dimebags Brain posted:

Where does shitposting without watching fall?

In really loving goddamn annoying territory but at least it's consistent and contains a level of internal logic so it has that going for it?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Whooooof. Roman. Buddy.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
roman reigns ruined wrestlemania

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

VJeff posted:

Whooooof. Roman. Buddy.

The last part of this looks like he's literally trying to pick up Undertaker's corpse. My god what a disaster of a main event.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GrimGypsy posted:

The guy who gets really really upset if someone doesn't like a thing he likes.
If you cover all WWE programming, I enjoy about 80% or so as well - Smackdown is generally solid, Raw is usually 50/50, NXT is always great, the Cruiserweight stuff is good, and their side projects like the British tournament are great. Wrestlemania does and should have a much higher bar, and this one failed to reach it. Don't take it personally :shrug:

I don't get upset if people don't like things. It was the bit about "I eagerly anticipate seeing people work to convince themselves it was good though :smug:" that got me. There are a fair number of people that try so loving hard to be cooler than people that like things and that's the attitude they generally convey.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

VJeff posted:

Whooooof. Roman. Buddy.

God drat.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

So I'm slightly less than a month younger than Roman Reigns. For some reason I thought he was older. I choose to believe this explains our shared love of napping :v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VJeff posted:

Whooooof. Roman. Buddy.

lmao, heres looking to WM34's main event

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
roman reigns is a fraud

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
It's weird, more of this Wrestlemania was good than not, but as mentioned there wasn't any real classics on it. Owens/Jericho lived up to expectations and was a good match; ladder match was a lot of fun (might be closest); Rollins/HHH was...fine. Lesnar/Goldberg ruled, but hard to count a 5-minute match as a classic. Styles/McMahon was decent, but I still fundamentally feel like it was a waste of AJ and don't "buy" Shane in this role.

Meanwhile the downpoints really sucked: Orton/Wyatt blew for like 10 different reasons, as did Taker/Reigns.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

VJeff posted:

Whooooof. Roman. Buddy.

loving awesome

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I wonder why Taker held on so long. After the hell in a cell with HHH he was really, really done. And after Brock? Come on son. I am sure Vinnie "Is that a wrinkle? YEEEERR FAAAAHHHRED" Mcmahon was not the one begging the Undertaker to stick around.

So I think Taker either couldn't hang up the boots until the boots were taken from him (hopefully now) or he realized too late that his late career resurgence was over and he just needed one more good match to go out on, like a HBK or a HHH. But he never got it, from his opponents, booking and his broken body, until we reached tonight. The saddest, saddest way for the last good character, a soldier in McMahon's army over the years, a respected veteran and hall of famer, to go out on.

Like that was Jake the Snake in a bingo hall sad.

Man, what a bummer.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I wonder why Taker held on so long. After the hell in a cell with HHH he was really, really done. And after Brock? Come on son. I am sure Vinnie "Is that a wrinkle? YEEEERR FAAAAHHHRED" Mcmahon was not the one begging the Undertaker to stick around.

So I think Taker either couldn't hang up the boots until the boots were taken from him (hopefully now) or he realized too late that his late career resurgence was over and he just needed one more good match to go out on, like a HBK or a HHH. But he never got it, from his opponents, booking and his broken bodies, until we reached tonight. The saddest, saddest way for the last good character, a soldier in McMahon's army over the years, a respected veteran and hall of famer, to go out on.

Man, what a bummer.

I'm sure the seven figure paycheck for one or two matches a year figured into it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

VJeff posted:

Whooooof. Roman. Buddy.

It's a shameful thing, Roman's back.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

SatansOnion posted:

So I'm slightly less than a month younger than Roman Reigns. For some reason I thought he was older. I choose to believe this explains our shared love of napping :v:

I'm 3 months younger than Roman and I need to just simply embrace this man as a leader for my generation.

I can't believe Vince McMahon has put the fate of his company in the hands of a millennial...

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I skipped the bad matches so it was a pretty good show!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Another thing about that GIF: just look at the complete absence of reaction from the crowd. That THAT spot (or the potential for it, at least) didn't pop the people in the front row is pretty nuts.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

VJeff posted:

Whooooof. Roman. Buddy.

Good lord :ughh:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

So I think Taker either couldn't hang up the boots until the boots were taken from him (hopefully now) or he realized too late that his late career resurgence was over and he just needed one more good match to go out on, like a HBK or a HHH. But he never got it, from his opponents, booking and his broken body, until we reached tonight. The saddest, saddest way for the last good character, a soldier in McMahon's army over the years, a respected veteran and hall of famer, to go out on.

Man, what a bummer.

I genuinely believe Taker thought he had one more classic in him after Mania 30 and didn't wanna go out like that. And to be fair to Taker he had a handful of good-very good matches after that (he looked loving great at Mania 31 comparatively) and the unfortunate reality is that he used the gas that was left largely in the other matches against Brock after Mania 30 and by now he knew he had to go out on his back but there was nothing left.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Brock/Goldberg was absolutely a classic. The storytelling and execution since Survivor Series has been outstanding. I hated the SS match at the time, loving love it in hindsight.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

CubsWoo posted:

I'm sure the seven figure paycheck for one or two matches a year figured into it

And I'm willing to accept that for sure. There is a financial side to Taker we don't know. Maybe he's up to his eyeballs in debt, maybe he's calculated how much he needs and that was it.

From the limited amount that I see, it seemed like an artist trying to hang it all up on one last masterpiece. He knew he had some, and didn't pull the trigger then. And now, because he won't admit it's past his time, or he's hell-bent on creating one more, he keeps going. But every year the returns are diminished until tonight. Tonight was bottom of the barrel. It just boggles me that especially after the streak (and speaking as an unapologetic Undertaker mark) he felt he needed to continue. And now with this, I feel like he may think he will never get that chance to have that last masterpiece, to scratch that last itch.

Because hopefully he is never stepping in a ring for a match again.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I genuinely believe Taker thought he had one more classic in him after Mania 30 and didn't wanna go out like that. And to be fair to Taker he had a handful of good-very good matches after that (he looked loving great at Mania 31 comparatively) and the unfortunate reality is that he used the gas that was left largely in the other matches against Brock after Mania 30 and by now he knew he had to go out on his back but there was nothing left.

I'm sure it's also that the dude has been doing this for over 30 years and it's gotta be incredibly hard to walk away when the door to wrestle is forever open.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Anyways the party is done, the people have gone home, the food eaten and the buzz from alcohol subsiding leaving me with sober thoughts.

About goddamn wrestling. I'm going to bed. Nice seeing y'all.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

Whooooof. Roman. Buddy.

I hate CM Punk like poison, this is on record,

he's a hypocrite carny that bizarrely thinks he's better than other hypocrite carnies,

but, skinny-fat did that spot with no problem

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mkay0 posted:

Brock/Goldberg was absolutely a classic. The storytelling and execution since Survivor Series has been outstanding. I hated the SS match at the time, loving love it in hindsight.

Well yes but I'm sure Taker wanted one more at Mania where he lost (which he should have) and so he stuck around. It's really a bummer but is also 100% understandable.

Also Taker is very obviously never wrestling again and it's been clear since the Rumble this was his last ride. We might see him chokeslam somebody for a nostalgia pop or something but I'm very confident in saying that was The Undertaker's last match.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 3, 2017

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also, if he actually had choice in his final opponent, he would've gotten it in Cena, who's been doing the best wrestling of his career in the last couple years and definitely would've had the core strength to carry him to something decent tonight.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I believe firmly that Taker vs Cena tonight would have been a classic, or at least an appropriately good match to send him out on.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

1. lolfoochs

2. :rip: Taker

3 and most importantly. To complete Reigns' dominating run, not only should he retire Cena at Mania 35 (to compliment Taker today and Brock at 34), he should retire Dwayne at 36. Make Reigns The Greatest Star of All Time

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Just got home from work, oh hey how'd Wrest-oh

OH

Roman's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hosed tomorrow.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

why are you blaming roman reigns for not being able to lift taker's old, sandbagging rear end

i mean in all actuality that botch was neither of their fault, undertaker couldn't even bend over let alone jump to give roman the leverage he needed, and roman was put in an awkward position in trying a spot that they had no business doing

if anyone gets the blame its the person who called that spot

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

3 and most importantly. To complete Reigns' dominating run, not only should he retire Cena at Mania 35 (to compliment Taker today and Brock at 34), he should retire Dwayne at 36. Make Reigns The Greatest Star of All Time

This is the truest timeline.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Maybe it's just a job to Taker? You're extrapolating a great deal onto his real life personality. How much do we know about his actual passion to have good matches? Very little, honestly. Dude is easily the GOAT at keeping his real personality kayfabe.

He made at least five million bucks for under ten matches over the last five years. Why does someone have to be broke to want to do that? You'd be stupid not to.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

1. lolfoochs

2. :rip: Taker

Dwayne is actually worth more than the brand so they can't afford him anymore

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

mkay0 posted:

I think the Brock/Goldberg program overall is "important" because it's a huge problem with conventional WWE Big Match style that the first couple minutes of the match will never matter.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

why are you blaming roman reigns for not being able to lift taker's old, sandbagging rear end

i mean in all actuality that botch was neither of their fault, undertaker couldn't even bend over let alone jump to give roman the leverage he needed, and roman was put in an awkward position in trying a spot that they had no business doing

if anyone gets the blame its the person who called that spot

Honestly yeah. Really baffling to think they should have done that spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
all my posts are masterpieces, and i will never retire

• Locked thread