Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Today I got the Twilight Bow from my Zelda amiibo :D

:o it's not in the compendium

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

canoshiz posted:

Goodbye forever, snow bowling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYsNVxsWfFI

Linked for spoilers.

Jesus, this is amazing. Thank you, good goon.

.TakaM posted:

Today I got the Twilight Bow from my Zelda amiibo :D

I got this the other day and I used it once, what makes it special? I think it was firing light arrows or something even though I had bomb arrows selected but other than that?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

lmfao

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

That's an instant kill on those things, great for when you don't have a smasher on hand.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The Lobster posted:

Jesus, this is amazing. Thank you, good goon.

I got this the other day and I used it once, what makes it special? I think it was firing light arrows or something even though I had bomb arrows selected but other than that?
The Twilight Bow fires infinite arrows in perfect straight lines, longest range and highest durability in the game

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

.TakaM posted:

The Twilight Bow fires infinite arrows in perfect straight lines, longest range and highest durability in the game

Oh drat! That is pretty drat sweet. I was wasting it on Kohga.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bully :saddowns:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I legit did not know you could do that. This game. :allears:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I thought that's how you were supposed to do it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Copper Vein posted:

I'm at least 120hrs in and I still have two ??? under my abilities in the control section. One under Charged Attacks and one under Perfect Guard.

I think they don't fill in until that guy in Kakariko explains them to you - the one who's practising by Impa's house.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Runcible Cat posted:

I think they don't fill in until that guy in Kakariko explains them to you - the one who's practising by Impa's house.

Ok, he filled in jump slash for me, but the last one is still ???. Wierd, but a very common occurrence in this game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The rock dudes if you just drop them get really mad and blow themselves up, it's great.

Picking up ice ones freeze you, picking up lava ones sets you on fire, of course.

Also I just completed tarrey town and it was all adorable, but I heard they sold unique items, outside of the gerudo clothes there doesn't seem to be any.

And what item do I need to help the sick kid? I cooked a bunch of different food but she won't take any, even the cake I have.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Also I just completed tarrey town and it was all adorable, but I heard they sold unique items, outside of the gerudo clothes there doesn't seem to be any.

There's a secret shop.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Invictus posted:

The rock dudes if you just drop them get really mad and blow themselves up, it's great.

Picking up ice ones freeze you, picking up lava ones sets you on fire, of course.

And what item do I need to help the sick kid? I cooked a bunch of different food but she won't take any, even the cake I have.

The Gerudo clothes actually aren't unique. Theres a secret shop in Gerudo village that sells it and another outfit

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There's a secret shop.

"Secret" shop. It's just a dude on one of the balconies that sells you some one-time obtainable gear that you may have missed/misplaced/sold. I don't know how much of it is only available after you've completed the associated stuff, though-- I didn't unlock him until very late game but he had all of the shrine gear (climbing/rubber/barbarian), snow/sand shoes, the crappy starting area gear, and the Hylian Shield after mine got destroyed from too much surfing

e: yeah just checked back and it's literally just "otherwise unobtainable again gear vendor", it seems-- can't sell off the * of the wild set, and the amiibo stuff can drop duplicates even while you're holding it so he doesn't sell that either

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 3, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Copper Vein posted:

Ok, he filled in jump slash for me, but the last one is still ???. Wierd, but a very common occurrence in this game.

Just checked; the one under Perfect Guard is "use amiibo".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a secret shop that sells an ingredient as well as masks/an extra outfit. Does the name Kilton mean anything to you?

If not and you want a direction, head to the skull-shaped lake.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I've got the Dark Link costume and everything else he sells. She wants Monster Cake? I made one after finding the recipe in Hyrule Castle, but she doesn't seem to want it. I tried talking to her parents in the evening but they were bickering and wouldn't talk to me.

Good to hear there's a dude who sells replacement unobtainables, too, Tarrey Town is a suitable roadblock in front of someone like that, for sure.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I've got the Dark Link costume and everything else he sells. She wants Monster Cake? I made one after finding the recipe in Hyrule Castle, but she doesn't seem to want it. I tried talking to her parents in the evening but they were bickering and wouldn't talk to me.

Any cake with monster extract added should make that - what's the Castle recipe? I used the Rito nutcake recipe: wheat, butter, sugarcane, acorn. But I had to give it to one of her parents, so maybe you just caught them at a bad time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

All of the arrow stores have stopped restocking plain arrows. Is it because I have too many arrows?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jonas Albrecht posted:

All of the arrow stores have stopped restocking plain arrows. Is it because I have too many arrows?

That's the bet, yeah. The lizards on the way to the Zora area have a fuckton if you really want to go overkill on your arrow count.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That's the bet, yeah. The lizards on the way to the Zora area have a fuckton if you really want to go overkill on your arrow count.

I want an irresponsible amount of arrows.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Captain Invictus posted:

Good to hear there's a dude who sells replacement unobtainables, too, Tarrey Town is a suitable roadblock in front of someone like that, for sure.

Give her mom Monster Cake in the day, that should complete the quest, it did for me at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh wait, I was trying to figure out how to start the quest, since it's clearly one. Turns out to start it is some obtuse poo poo like eavesdropping through the wall outside, I don't think the game has ever mentioned you can do this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

While I was trying to find the boy with the balloon side quest (it was woodland stable by the way) going around to all the stables I found like four other side quests, three shrines, three rare taluses and an ice talus.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh wait, I was trying to figure out how to start the quest, since it's clearly one. Turns out to start it is some obtuse poo poo like eavesdropping through the wall outside, I don't think the game has ever mentioned you can do this.

Eavesdropping is a thing you can do in several other places like gerudo town and hateno. Whenever there's a group of people that yell at you not to listen to their conversation, there's probably an open window next to them where you can eavesdrop

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

El Burbo posted:

Eavesdropping is a thing you can do in several other places like gerudo town and hateno. Whenever there's a group of people that yell at you not to listen to their conversation, there's probably an open window next to them where you can eavesdrop
Yeah, if you didn't know you can eavesdrop until now you definitely want to head to Gerudopolis as well.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

The Lobster posted:

Fun Fact about the Twilight Bow:

According to the official guide, the best non-amiibo bow in the game has a range of 100 meters.

The Twilight Bow has a range of 8,000 meters.

The distance from the Tabantha Tower to Evertide Island is roughly ~7,000 meters, according to this insane japanese guy who glided the entire distance as part of a minigame (spoilers in there, obv). Meaning if enemies were persistent and didn't disappear with distance, you could literally snipe them from across the map with that thing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What's the range of the Bow Of Light?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodly posted:

What's the range of the Bow Of Light?

That's the 100-meter one (actually I think the guide says 500 meters). That range is long enough that you basically don't have to account for arrow drop in any realistic scenario, especially not in the only fight you get to use it in. The Twilight Bow's range is comical.

For reference, the best range for a normal, general-use bow that you can get without amiibo is 40 meters--that's the Duplex Bow, Phrenic Bow, and all of the Rito bows. Most bows have a range of 20 meters. So 500 meters is already insane.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 3, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just 5 shrines left and no desire to look anything up.

Let's go bitches.

EDIT: Also I did the Gerudo dungeon last and while I didn't really have any trouble with either of the things most people complain about, the constant, sometimes less than a minute apart Yiga ambushes are so god damned annoying that I'm glad I did it last.

Also Hyrule Castle is an awesome dungeon.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 3, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Also Hyrule Castle is an awesome dungeon.

Yeah, Hyrule Castle is great. I saw one review video that argued that future Zelda games should incorporate more dungeons like that--largely nonlinear dungeon crawls where the challenge comes from the density of tough enemies more than puzzles--and I agree. While I obviously wouldn't want to replace the standard Zelda puzzle-box dungeon with anything, adding a dungeon or two like Hyrule Castle to that would make for a cool change of pace. Zelda has done similar things before--actually, it's done it with Hyrule Castle before--but not with the nonlinearity that BotW's Hyrule Castle has.

My only complaint about Hyrule Castle: I wish there wasn't a memory there. I really wanted to go into the castle only once, just for the final showdown, because I (correctly) assumed that it would be a really climactic storming-the-castle moment. Needing to duck in, find something, and leave in order to get the full ending kind of sucked the air out of my return to go fight Ganon.

Also the Gerudo dungeon was the best of the Divine Beast dungeons, in my opinion, and I'm glad I did it last as well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Harrow posted:

That's the 100-meter one (actually I think the guide says 500 meters). That range is long enough that you basically don't have to account for arrow drop in any realistic scenario, especially not in the only fight you get to use it in. The Twilight Bow's range is comical.

For reference, the best range for a normal, general-use bow that you can get without amiibo is 40 meters--that's the Duplex Bow, Phrenic Bow, and all of the Rito bows. Most bows have a range of 20 meters. So 500 meters is already insane.

Oh. I was expecting them to be equal. Twilight being equal to the World of Light, and also along the lines of 'being a playable version of the Final Battle Bow'.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Guys, don't step on the goddamn flowers.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

The Ancient Bow has very little arrow drop-off as well. I can hit (even shoot past) the Hateno Tower from my house.Not a straight shot, mind you, but not a whole lot of elevation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

My only complaint about Hyrule Castle: I wish there wasn't a memory there. I really wanted to go into the castle only once, just for the final showdown, because I (correctly) assumed that it would be a really climactic storming-the-castle moment. Needing to duck in, find something, and leave in order to get the full ending kind of sucked the air out of my return to go fight Ganon.

The game really wants you to poke your nose in there early though. In addition to the memory, there's two quests that require you to go there. Plus numerous NPCs encourage you to seek treasure in there and give tips on different ways to approach it safely. Everything about it, including how sprawling and non-linear it is, supports the idea that the player is being deliberately tempted to brave its dangers multiple times throughout their journey to be aptly rewarded.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

The game really wants you to poke your nose in there early though. In addition to the memory, there's two quests that require you to go there. Plus numerous NPCs encourage you to seek treasure in there and give tips on different ways to approach it safely. Everything about it, including how sprawling and non-linear it is, supports the idea that the player is being deliberately tempted to brave its dangers multiple times throughout their journey to be aptly rewarded.

Likewise, if you know the last memory is there, you can swing by and get it on your way to Ganon. I, too, wanted the castle to be my endgame/last stop but the Docks and some of the other outer entrances beg to be explored earlier. I don't think you're supposed to tear down the front gates and storm the castle early (hell yeah I did at the end) but nothing stops you from braving it while you're weak.

What I did like about the Castle was how much it makes use of all the little tricks you learned throughout the game and how the boss fights and shrines teach you for what to look for in order to find some of the more ahem, secret, treasures.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, they definitely want you to stop in twice or even more to explore more parts of it. I think what really makes that feel wrong to me is the music--it's so dramatic and perfectly climactic that it felt wrong to be exploring the castle knowing that I wasn't there for any sort of climactic purpose. Honestly if they had a different piece of music there, but then changed to the current, ultra-climactic music if you do all the Divine Beasts and get all the memories, I think I'd feel completely different, because it'd have something that makes your final approach obviously the final one.

I guess, to put it another way, the gameplay design of Hyrule Castle is at odds with its atmosphere to me, if that makes any sense.

FooF posted:

Likewise, if you know the last memory is there, you can swing by and get it on your way to Ganon. I, too, wanted the castle to be my endgame/last stop but the Docks and some of the other outer entrances beg to be explored earlier. I don't think you're supposed to tear down the front gates and storm the castle early (hell yeah I did at the end) but nothing stops you from braving it while you're weak.

That won't get you all the memories. To get the last one, you have to get every memory out in the world, including the one in Hyrule Castle, then go talk to Impa and track down one more. If you just grab the Hyrule Castle memory on your way to Ganon, you'll still be missing one and won't get the full ending.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm just upset that the help from the Divine Beasts ends up just being taking off half his health, they had the perfect setup to make it so that taking out the "blight" ganon's remove some power of his like some classic JRPG boss but instead the cool fight is cut in half and he still has all the weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was really confused when I saw everyone talking about how big Hyrule Castle is because I went there and aside from the study outside all I found was the Sanctum. Then I tried one of the approaches one of the stable people said and infiltrated from much lower and boy, I saw what everyone meant. It must be at least as big as a region from Metroid Prime.

I hope the DLC dungeon is a pseudo-roguelike dungeon in that it's bigger than Hyrule Castle and goes deeper and deeper and progressively more difficult. And it should have darknuts and redeads. Also I hope you can just switch hard mode on instead of starting the game over.