Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
There's no reason to be surprised at GitS performing weakly. It's a movie targeting no demo. It's not pure enough for enthusiasts of the anime (which would have made them $5million if lucky) and it's not broad, approachable or novel to appeal to generic sci-fi fans. The marketing was also bland.

I don't think casting a white woman in the role was necessarily a mistake, but casting Scarlett Johansen was. She strikes me as perpetually confused, not stoic and determined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Was it about SMG or about Bostonians being assholes, cause you ARE an rear end in a top hat it's just in a loveable way

How the gently caress dare you call me loveable

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ammanas posted:

There's no reason to be surprised at GitS performing weakly. It's a movie targeting no demo. It's not pure enough for enthusiasts of the anime (which would have made them $5million if lucky) and it's not broad, approachable or novel to appeal to generic sci-fi fans. The marketing was also bland.

I don't think casting a white woman in the role was necessarily a mistake, but casting Scarlett Johansen was. She strikes me as perpetually confused, not stoic and determined.
She's only a year into the robot in the movie so that makes sense. I think she did a really good job and I'm not usually super impressed with her.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Akira by luc besson

Luc Besson already did that (Lucy) (seriously, it's much more of an Akira adaptation than Chronicle is)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Max Landis is a dumbfuck but Chronicle is a good movie.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Deadline has a good piece analyzing GITS's collapse. It's probably not Johansson, given that Lucy did very very well. One rival marketing exec supposedly criticized the trailer, saying that it was flashy but gave you absolutely no idea what the story was about and whether Johansson was playing a good or bad guy.

Also this is just me but where do they get off thinking Blade Runner-esque films make money? The original is called a cult hit for a good reason.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Deadline has a good piece analyzing GITS's collapse. It's probably not Johansson, given that Lucy did very very well. One rival marketing exec supposedly criticized the trailer, saying that it was flashy but gave you absolutely no idea what the story was about and whether Johansson was playing a good or bad guy.

Also this is just me but where do they get off thinking Blade Runner-esque films make money? The original is called a cult hit for a good reason.

That piece is savage. I never heard about Johansson being a Hollywood introvert. I thought there was at least junkets for this? Also, the "no early screenings" is a death knell, I didn't expect them to pull something like that, Paramount seemed to have some confidence in their film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I think part of it that, for months, their response to whitewashing criticism was just to keep going 'I don't see the problem' rather than acknowledging and putting out a statement saying something pleasant but meaningless like 'we wanted to reach the most people possibe' or something. Pretending it isn't there 2017 seems a tonedeaf approach.

I'm not saying whitewashing killed its chances at the box office, but when that becomes the narrative, unacknowledged, for months, it means that potential viewers have ended up with a negative association with it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think you're overstating the potential effect whitewashing controversies can have on general moviegoers.

if i find some time and extra cash i might go see GITS but i've already seen the anime years and years ago and i dont feel like watching the movie again but different.

The effect the anime loving whiners have is overstated too. The marketing campaign was really bad and the lack of screening/coherent advertising is causing it to crash and burn.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

basic hitler posted:

I think you're overstating the potential effect whitewashing controversies can have on general moviegoers.

if i find some time and extra cash i might go see GITS but i've already seen the anime years and years ago and i dont feel like watching the movie again but different.

The effect the anime loving whiners have is overstated too. The marketing campaign was really bad and the lack of screening/coherent advertising is causing it to crash and burn.

This is largely why I haven't seen it yet. I don't give a poo poo if you're just making selected scenes but in real life at this point you need to do something new with the property. I put a modicum of effort into ARISE and that just left a bad taste in my mouth. It also that marketing campaign spoiled everything and left me unimpressed that I have little reason to see it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It just proves forever that anime isn't popular or marketable

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

basic hitler posted:

As a counterpoint, is there a film that had a whitewashing controversy that did really well? Off the top of my head, every one I can think of was a flop. Last Airbender, Gods of Egypt (though that was hardly the only issue) Prince of Persia and Exodus all did really poorly.

You can say it didn't hurt it, I would argue that it sure as poo poo doesn't help.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

As a counterpoint, is there a film that had a whitewashing controversy that did really well? Off the top of my head, every one I can think of was a flop. Last Airbender, Gods of Egypt (though that was hardly the only issue) Prince of Persia and Exodus all did really poorly.

You can say it didn't hurt it, I would argue that it sure as poo poo doesn't help.

Argo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

There you go. The irony is that it appears to be easier to whitewash reality.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, but three of those were people getting mad that white people were playing white people.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FishBulb posted:

This is what execs will take away. That recent akira rumor will probably be dead by tomorrow morning.

I've never seen the gits anime and the trailer looked decent but reviews were mediocre for it so I'll just see it if I'm bored and already by the mall. :shrug: guess thats what everyone else thought too

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, but three of those were people getting mad that white people were playing white people.

I'm really curious about which three you're referring to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowman_McK posted:

Well you see the people in historical Iran were called "Aryans"...

:goonsay:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a big white supremacist thing that Egyptians and Persians were white, which assumes that middle eastern people mudt of all come from Arabs or something.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snowman_McK posted:

There you go. The irony is that it appears to be easier to whitewash reality.

Well, yes and no. For instance, you can take any cartoon - American or not - and nobody gives a poo poo about whitewashing in voice talent, unless there's stereotyping.

The lesson is that, in reality, the US is a white supremacist, settler colonial, globalist oligarchy; but the crossover between social justice activism and fan/meme culture has convoluted this fairly straightforward geopolitical premise so that the critique becomes instead that #OscarsSoWhite are too dumb to sufficiently capitalize upon their target demographic of Asiaphiles and orientalists.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What the gently caress is that word salad.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Anime is the reason?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CharlestheHammer posted:

Anime fans are abusing progressive terminology to support their orientalist ideology. The 'anti-whitewashing' meme has little or nothing to do with socioeconomic justice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

basic hitler posted:

The only interesting thing about the movie so far has been the whitewashing controversy and that wasn't even all that interesting to most people. It feels like Paramount went "Welp, damned if you do, damned if you don't!" and just let it slide into cinemas without much fanfare.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's a big white supremacist thing that Egyptians and Persians were white, which assumes that middle eastern people mudt of all come from Arabs or something.

Middle Eastern people are white. Egyptians, Persians, Arabs, Kurds, Assyrians, etc, etc. They're all white.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 3, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Middle Eastern people are white. Egyptians, Persians, Arabs, Kurds, Assyrians, etc, etc. They're all white.

They very pointedly are not.

They vary in skin one like most people

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Byzantine posted:

n00b

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's whites all the way down.

I thought American white supremacists refer to themselves as "Europeans" these days, which is pretty amusing all on its own.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

raditts posted:

It's whites all the way down.

I thought American white supremacists refer to themselves as "Europeans" these days, which is pretty amusing all on its own.

Well I mean that is basically what white is. Though even then it shows it's cracks.

Turns out race is mostly a social construct!

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 3, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean that is basically what white is. Though even then it shows it's cracks.

It's just really funny since racists in the UK decided to make it very certain no one thought they were European

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Urdnot Fire posted:

Funny enough, even Boss Baby is (loosely) based off of a picture book.

*pulls up resumé* Adapted screenplay from award winning young adult novel

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Byzantine posted:

This is even better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBi87TU_Duw

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

Seriously, watch the whole trailer. Every 30 seconds feel like they're from a completely different film.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Snowman_McK posted:

Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat?

I suppose having Cruise die repeatedly was a good selling point.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Samovar posted:

Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat?

I suppose having Cruise die repeatedly was a good selling point.

Personally, I don't think that's a case of whitewashing. The makers simply took a story which happened to be from another country as the basis for their film.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's difficult to discuss white washing because each individual example can be explained or justified. The issue is when looked at as a whole you can see that there is a glut of roles that could have been played by an actor of non-european decent but mysteriously they aren't.

I like ScarJo. I think she did very well in Lucy, which feels like it shares parallels with GitS. I understand simultaneously that taking a Japanese franchise and casting a white actor is a problematic trend.

These two angles exist in parallel. It is difficult for a movement that is mostly communicated in blogs to separate individual examples from a greater trend. This is exacerbated because each blog that does comment on it tries to me more outraged than the last for sweet sweet page count.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FishBulb posted:

on the bright side, this should stick the sixth and (god willing) final knife in the back of American Akira

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DC Murderverse posted:

on the bright side, this should stick the sixth and (god willing) final knife in the back of American Akira

I want live-action Cowboy Bebop to happen just to watch the people on both sides tear each other apart over however Faye Valentine winds up being portrayed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think it's amazing that it struck a particular nerve with a property like Ghost in the Shell tho. A property that is all about fake bodies and appearances.

And then the movie came out and it is revealed that the character is a kidnapped Japanese girl who was turned into a Western looking cyborg and brainwashed with a Western identity as an experiment.

It reminds me of how people couldn't stop bitching about pictures of the Power Ranger suits when in the actual movie there is only a handful of shots of them being in the suit and not sitting in a Zord (at which point they have open helmets).

I'm starting to think these movie studios are deliberately loving with us and they feed on our outrage to fuel future, underperforming movie properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What's the thread consensus on Power Rangers anyway? Some of the reviews of seen say it's too moody and doesn't spend enough time being fun.

• Locked thread