Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I can't think of anything that would describe the position most Jews found themselves in that is as appropriate as "Privileged Class."

Similarly, no one has ever been quite so priveleged as sexual minorities, the Roma, or those with physical and intellectual disabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Roma: so privileged in Europe that you can win an election simply by stirring up ethnic hatred against them.

(Thankfully, when the Tories did that sort of campaigning – with a Jewish leader, no less! – they lost)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hitler was a sensitive man x4

He went to art school when he was younger
He wanted to be a painter
Hitler was a vegetarian
He was also a non smoker

He hired gay and handicapped officers
He was concerned about overpopulation
If Hitler was alive today, he'd listen to The Cure
The Smiths and Depeche Mode

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

I can't think of anything that would describe the position most Jews found themselves in that is as appropriate as "Privileged Class."

Similarly, no one has ever been quite so priveleged as sexual minorities, the Roma, or those with physical and intellectual disabilities.
Well, he's talking about the position Jews had been in, the original 1% who owned a large portion of Germany. The bigger and inescapable problem with the comparison is that very few SJWs want to purge and exterminate the privileged class.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Thanks for that, darthbob1488

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

So what are the odds that this person also constantly talks about "those clowns in Congress"? Government is incompetent, but they're also brilliant masterminds? Or is the "Deep State" the one that's super competent and everyone in Congress is just a dope to distract us from the truth?

It's just your typical "1984 as an instruction manual" nonsense. The enemy is simultaneously so overwhelmingly powerful that every sacrifice needs to be made to defeat them but so staggeringly weak and incompetent that we'll destroy them easily any day now with minimal effort. The GOP's current strategy is to weaponize procedure, sabotage the government, declare it can't do anything right, and get elected to tear it down so those dastardly Democrats can't have it. They're around every corner and we must resist them with all our might!

Then they vote themselves a raise, take more lobbyist gifting, and laugh all the way to the bank.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TinTower posted:

Thanks for that, darthbob1488
Quite welcome. But no, you can't argue that Jewish business owners were not terribly privileged, because the other person will just deflect by arguing that Appalachian coal miners aren't terribly privileged. You can however point out that SJWs don't want to go full Hitler, and that the comparison is false in that way.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

darthbob88 posted:

Well, he's talking about the position Jews had been in, the original 1% who owned a large portion of Germany. The bigger and inescapable problem with the comparison is that very few SJWs want to purge and exterminate the privileged class.

Pogroms and blood libels. It doesn't matter how much money you have, you're not privileged if every year there's a 1 in 6 chance that you're going to be accused of poisoning the town well or sacrificing christian babies and get hung (best case) for it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Maxine Waters is....James Brown? And this is.....bad?

https://www.facebook.com/NationInDistress/videos/1080711702059657/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Catberry posted:

Was Branco the artist that kept doing castles wrong? I can't remember.

Big Bird is a scowling villain to this guy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Condoms aren't even that great in human populations. Fortunately we have better options for both.

This was a great opportunity to link a picture of a guillotine and you hosed up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

boner confessor posted:

He went to art school when he was younger
He wanted to be a painter
Hitler was a vegetarian
He was also a non smoker

He hired gay and handicapped officers
He was concerned about overpopulation
If Hitler was alive today, he'd listen to The Cure
The Smiths and Depeche Mode

Everyone knows Hitler would be a rapper though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rurBHWxYaR0

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic

Catberry posted:

Found it.

Defending yourself against a castle on the offensive.

I'm also loving the subtle mixed messages here in the GOP's choice of dress; tea party tricorne hat with teabag combined with Spartan shield and dress.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

darthbob88 posted:

http://faculty.maxwell.syr.edu/amazur/Jews.pdf

I imagine this situation would have been similar in Germany.

Basically: in the US, Jews are disproportionately represented in the 1%. In the areas where Jews tend to live, they ALSO are disproportionately represented among the poor and "low-prestige" jobs, while simultaneously being disproportionately represented among the higher incomes in those areas.

What this tells you is: yes, there probably is a Jewish conspiracy (read: network of friends and family hooking each other up with good opportunities at a higher rate than for non-Jews), but it sure the gently caress leaves out a lot of Jews. (For example: most, possibly all, of the Jews I know.)

Not making clear this distinction is what makes it easy for idiots to want to punish all Jews for the real or perceived actions of a few. If you're going to discuss the relationship between Jews and cultural and/or economic elites; might I suggest the small step of always referring to the elite group FIRST then stating the relationship Jews have to it. It makes it much harder to imply that my recently-homeless Jewish friend is secretly a master of the universe without severely torturing your grammar.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My area schools have added a 1 cent sales tax (for building maintenance and repair only) to the ballot next week. My Facebook feed is filled with people complaining about this. Apparently, it is all being funded by Chicago construction companies and architects (I live in Southern Illinois). This is really going to administration instead of repairs. Schools have too much money so they do not need this. Links to Illinois Policy (a conservative tax think tank) are being shared left and right.

It is 1 penny for every dollar spent and this is apparently too much for county. A few years ago, a school an hour away had to drop their Agriculture program because they could not get the funds for it. Rural schools without ag programs only hurts the future of ag in the region.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1% isn't a trivial sales tax increase. I'd expect it to fund more than just building maintenance. Reducing sales tax by 1% in Canada was a big political move, and had real fiscal consequences.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, 1% seems pretty huge for a local tax increase. You sure it isn't 0.1%?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Nope, 1 cent per dollar. It would go through the whole county which would cover 4 school districts which includes 12 school buildings. It would bring in an estimated $5 million dollars a year.

The only thing that the people against this have correct is that it is a regressive tax that hurts the poor the most. By the way, these are the same people who think poor people need to no longer have any welfare benefits so it is surprising to see their concern for them now.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Defenestration posted:

This is factually incorrect, of course (Failing to understand the difference between an inactive law license and a disbarment or suspension. Failing to understand that the only thing separating an inactive license from an active one can be the paying of dues to the bar association)

plus the conflation of "fitness to be president" with "having an active law license in good standing" undermines their argument for Trump

Bill Clinton got his bar license suspended for 5 years by Arkansas, which would basically be the same as disbarment for any practicing lawyer. I'm not sure if it was already inactive from not paying dues or whatever tho.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

EwokEntourage posted:

Bill Clinton got his bar license suspended for 5 years by Arkansas, which would basically be the same as disbarment for any practicing lawyer. I'm not sure if it was already inactive from not paying dues or whatever tho.

That's only one of the four, though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Quite welcome. But no, you can't argue that Jewish business owners were not terribly privileged, because the other person will just deflect by arguing that Appalachian coal miners aren't terribly privileged. You can however point out that SJWs don't want to go full Hitler, and that the comparison is false in that way.

Notable terribly privileged class: European Jewry :rolleyes:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

VitalSigns posted:

Notable terribly privileged class: European Jewry :rolleyes:

To be charitable, I believe he's saying that using Jews=oppressed arguments against those types of people who don't understand privilege gets you "coal miners aren't privileged "

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's not really the same thing because "being a Jew" doesn't get you privilege in 1920s Europe the way, say, "being white" does in America.

Also, white supremacy is one of the tools the rich use to divide the working class and enlist poor whites into protecting their class oppressors. There was no "Jewish supremacy" in Europe that achieved this same function (actually the opposite: stoking anti-Jewish sentiment was a way for the nobility to refocus anger and resentment on another group, and if the pogroms just happened to kill some of the people the nobles owed money to, hey bonus!)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's terrible, but I've sorta made progress by making a video game/RPG analogy. Like, if you were creating a new character, being White would be a 2 point advantage, being Rich would be a 6 point advantage, being transgender might be an 8 point disadvantage.

In an RPG, you'd be able to use these disadvantages to buy extra stats in Strength or Charisma or something, in real life, you get nothing.

All that said, even with a bunch of advantages, you can make bad decisions and end up doing poorly, or you can get a bunch of disadvantages and do well. The point everyone is trying to make though is that we don't all start out in the same place, so if you see a transgender black woman born in a poor family who's worked their way up to a position of power, they're in a totally different class of person than from someone who is a white straight man who was born in a rich family. If both people had started out on equal footing, the transgender woman would probably be president while the white guy would be a drug addict in a gutter.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Aw here we go

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

To be charitable, I believe he's saying that using Jews=oppressed arguments against those types of people who don't understand privilege gets you "coal miners aren't privileged "
Precisely. If you want to get bogged down in explaining that no, actually, when we complain about white people being privileged we're correct, have fun. Personally, I'd rather hammer on the fact that when we complain about the oppressed class, we don't argue for purging and/or exterminating them from society.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's terrible, but I've sorta made progress by making a video game/RPG analogy. Like, if you were creating a new character, being White would be a 2 point advantage, being Rich would be a 6 point advantage, being transgender might be an 8 point disadvantage.

In an RPG, you'd be able to use these disadvantages to buy extra stats in Strength or Charisma or something, in real life, you get nothing.

All that said, even with a bunch of advantages, you can make bad decisions and end up doing poorly, or you can get a bunch of disadvantages and do well. The point everyone is trying to make though is that we don't all start out in the same place, so if you see a transgender black woman born in a poor family who's worked their way up to a position of power, they're in a totally different class of person than from someone who is a white straight man who was born in a rich family. If both people had started out on equal footing, the transgender woman would probably be president while the white guy would be a drug addict in a gutter.

What sort of progress are you making?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh, I've seen that privilege chart

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BONGHITZ posted:

What sort of progress are you making?

Not great progress, but it sorta works. At the very least it makes it harder for people to use canned talking points when you use an unorthodox approach.

It shouldn't be surprising that nerdy appeals to video game/rpg systems get through to libertarian types.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Vidja games are trash and so are it fans and they already took your analog is the worst possible way.

"Just dont play the n-word class."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess what I'm trying to say is when you're dealing with coddled people who have no idea how the world works outside of the white middle class, you've to talk to them in a language they understand about challenges and handicaps that they can relate to.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I try to use the analogy in terms of classes that aren't balanced yet the community doesn't want the developers to bring that class in line with others because of ~reasons~. Like how paladins were underpowered on release in WoW but nobody else wanted them adjusted because they arbitrarily hated paladins.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I feel like that could go horribly wrong.

It easily becomes well that ain't my problem they got a disadvantaged problem, and could even go for the extreme, isn't it out duty to ensure no one is born of that class due to all the disadvantages?

Similarily with video games you can't change the system, it is a very rare game that allows you do modify anything the system dictates from within the system. It seems like an easy reach to why bother trying to change the root causes which clearly are inherent to the system, nothing we can do about it now. sucks to be one of those unfortunate people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerepol posted:

It easily becomes well that ain't my problem they got a disadvantaged problem, and could even go for the extreme, isn't it out duty to ensure no one is born of that class due to all the disadvantages?
If someone is that quick to jump to the final solution then they're probably a lost cause.

Plus it only works with broad racial classes, there's no way to test for someone's sexuality pre-birth (good), sex-selective abortions are a thing but if absolutely nobody was born female then that would have some interesting knock-on effects further down the line, and they're usually against economic class based genocide against the white working class because it might affect them.

Also those sort of people are usually in the 'Margaret Sanger was the real racist who loved eugenics, I love black babies as long as they don't get welfare' camp of poo poo views.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Basically: in the US, Jews are disproportionately represented in the 1%. In the areas where Jews tend to live, they ALSO are disproportionately represented among the poor and "low-prestige" jobs, while simultaneously being disproportionately represented among the higher incomes in those areas.

What this tells you is: yes, there probably is a Jewish conspiracy (read: network of friends and family hooking each other up with good opportunities at a higher rate than for non-Jews), but it sure the gently caress leaves out a lot of Jews. (For example: most, possibly all, of the Jews I know.)

My (Jewish, obviously) family is a pretty good example of this. My grandmother had two brothers, and both the brothers were encouraged to go to MIT/Harvard because they were men, while my grandma was discouraged from going to college. 2 generations later and both my great uncles' sides of the family consist of a bunch of well off lawyers/engineers/professors and my grandma's branch of the family is middle class at best and consists of school teachers, social workers, secretaries, etc.

Even more than the money itself, I find that just having parents who work in highly educated/"professional" jobs is a huge advantage, since children learn both directly and through a sort of osmosis how to navigate those kinds of social environments. In some ways, the child of a couple upper-middle class professionals might be better off than a child of a wealthier but uneducated small business owner.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
This means children of accountants should probably be handed off to social services.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is when you're dealing with coddled people who have no idea how the world works outside of the white middle class, you've to talk to them in a language they understand about challenges and handicaps that they can relate to.

Are you attempting to discuss race relations with a Gamergater? I'm not sure why you need this complicated analogy to explain that non-white people are discriminated against and start from -2 instead of square 0.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
How much you wanna bet the moron who made this has neither a medical degree nor actually read a legitimate study on homosexuality?

I'm sure the real doctors have a few choice words for people that still push this sort of BS despite homosexuality having been off the mental illness list since the loving 70s!

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 4, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Chimera-gui posted:

How much you wanna bet the moron who made this has neither a medical degree nor actually read a legitimate study on homosexuality?

I wouldn't be that they'd ever even seen a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chimera-gui posted:

I'm sure the real doctors have a few choice words for people that still push this sort of BS despite homosexuality having been off the mental illness list since the loving 70s!

the cool thing about defining homosexuality as "has anal sex" is that it excludes more than half of homosexuals and includes a solid third of heterosexuals