Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

MeLKoR posted:

I can picture it already, spanish tanks crossing the border,
It would have to be a week with a scheduled parade. Only time both run at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The only country that's threatened to invade anything in the morning, at this point, is the UK. Or would be the UK is May is as crazy as the old tories who think everything from the mainland is swarthy foreigners coveting the riches of the empire. Which she probably is.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Agnosticnixie posted:

The only country that's threatened to invade anything in the morning, at this point, is the UK. Or would be the UK is May is as crazy as the old tories who think everything from the mainland is swarthy foreigners coveting the riches of the empire. Which she probably is.

Threatening to invade where?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We need a Brexit thread

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Agnosticnixie posted:

Saying that you will defend your territory is not threatening to invade anything.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Gibraltar, Cyprus, South China Sea, Crimea, North Arctic etc. We're clearly due another world war to settle all the territory disputes at once.

I'll be at my log cabin living off the land while you all settle this, good luck!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kainser posted:

Saying that you will defend your territory is not threatening to invade anything.

History overwhelmingly proves otherwise :shrug:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Kainser posted:

Saber rattling is generally not a sign that you're actually planning to go on the defensive.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

julian assflange posted:

We need a Brexit thread
UKMT already exists.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kainser posted:

I have the feeling that guy is already dreaming of a preemptive counterattack. Which is funny, because there is 0 chance of Spain invading anything.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/848789191278436352

Poor Francois Fillon says he can't save any money :(

As a member of parliament, he gets 5300€ a month (after taxes) and an additional 5800€ for expenses.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Agnosticnixie posted:

Saber rattling is generally not a sign that you're actually planning to go on the defensive.

In this hypothetical scenario which country would be invading where ?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pissflaps posted:

every other country, britain

now you can think of maximum clancy and be happy

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pissflaps posted:

My pennies are on Malta finally taking Gibraltar.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kainser posted:

Oh c'mon... First of all no one is going to invade anything at this point or in any foreseeable future but war is being talked about or hinted or whatever you want to call it and it certainly weren't the Spanish who brought it up. Saying you will "protect your peaceful merchants" isn't a threat either, unless no one mentioned attacking merchants at all and you start reminiscing about the Opium War apropos someone discussing imposing tariffs on your goods.

As I said, no one is going to invade anything at this point but the only reason war was even talked about at all is because that Brit fellow brought it up. It's flaccid dick waving but nevertheless an educational exercise least some people in the EU have forgotten "the kind of people they're dealing with".

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Kassad posted:

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/848789191278436352

Poor Francois Fillon says he can't save any money :(

As a member of parliament, he gets 5300€ a month (after taxes) and an additional 5800€ for expenses.

Poor dude probably spends all his money maintaining his château.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
In practical terms, why would Fillon particularly need to save money? He presumably has a pretty generous inflation-indexed pension waiting for him given his years in politics, he's old enough that he could retire and live off that pension any time he wants, and he earns a comfortable salary now.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LemonDrizzle posted:

In practical terms, why would Fillon particularly need to save money? He presumably has a pretty generous inflation-indexed pension waiting for him given his years in politics, he's old enough that he could retire and live off that pension any time he wants, and he earns a comfortable salary now.

Upkeep on chateaus is notoriously hideous.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Legal fees to keep his wife out of jail?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MeLKoR posted:

Oh c'mon... First of all no one is going to invade anything at this point or in any foreseeable future but war is being talked about or hinted or whatever you want to call it and it certainly weren't the Spanish who brought it up.

Yes it was. This issue came up because of the inclusion of a Gibraltar clause by Spain into the EU negotiation guidelines.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Yes it was. This issue came up because of the inclusion of a Gibraltar clause by Spain into the EU negotiation guidelines.

And you think bringing up military action is an appropriate response to this because? You might as well say the issue came up because tariffs were being discussed. Not that the UK would threat anyone with war over tariffs you understand, just reminding everyone that the UK went to war over it in the past. No no, not making a threat, just sayin', you know? :rolleye:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 3, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Lol Brits are so touchy about their colonies.

Spain doesn't want to militarily invade your stupid rock.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MeLKoR posted:

And you think bringing up military action is an appropriate response to this because? You might as well say the issue came up because tariffs were being discussed. Not that the UK would threat anyone with war over sanctions you understand, just reminding everyone that the UK went to war over tariffs in the past. No no, not making a threat, just sayin', you know? :rolleye:

I think that a has-been politician has said some silly things in an interview and plenty of people have jumped all over it as if it is now British government policy to go to war with Spain. You're as silly as he is.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You're the one who wrote this last night, Pissflaps:

Pissflaps posted:

If it was up to me I'd raise the Belgrano and sink the fucker again just to show the first time wasn't an accident.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I think that a has-been politician has said some silly things in an interview and plenty of people have jumped all over it as if it is now British government policy to go to war with Spain. You're as silly as he is.

Make up your mind, either it was a justified reaction to Spain bringing up Gibraltar or everyone is making too much of it. Not saying it's official UK policy, just pointing out that it was a Brit politician that brought it up. You saying he's just the UK's Zhirinovsky doesn't change that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Deltasquid posted:

Lol Brits are so touchy about their colonies.

Spain doesn't want to militarily invade your stupid rock.

We're not all desperately clinging on to the last remnants of Empire. Just most of this godforsaken island :(

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MeLKoR posted:

Make up your mind, either it was a justified reaction to Spain bringing up Gibraltar or everyone is making too much of it. Not saying it's official UK policy, just pointing out that it was a Brit politician that brought it up. You saying he's just the UK's Zhirinovsky doesn't change that.

I think defending the democratic will of Gibraltans by whatever means necessary would be entirely justified. That does not mean I think that this interview with an ageing Tory peer should be considered the start of hostilities with Spain. It's absurd.

Kassad posted:

You're the one who wrote this last night, Pissflaps:

What about it?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I think defending the democratic will of Gibraltans by whatever means necessary would be entirely justified.
It would be justified if the democratic will of Gibraltans was under military threat. Just pointing out that the status of Gibraltar isn't settled yet shouldn't be grounds for saber rattling. poo poo, we have disputed territories with Spain, Spain has disputed territories with Morocco, half of Europe has disputed territories with the other half, I see only one saber in the air and it's not spanish.

quote:

That does not mean I think that this interview with an ageing Tory peer should be considered the start of hostilities with Spain. It's absurd.
Of course it's not the start of hostilities, no one believes the UK is going to mount an invasion of Spain. What it is is an escalation in rhetoric, and I think anyone agrees that nothing good can come from such language starting to get used.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 3, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Pissflaps posted:

I think defending the democratic will of Gibraltans by whatever means necessary would be entirely justified. That does not mean I think that this interview with an ageing Tory peer should be considered the start of hostilities with Spain. It's absurd.

How does it feel to be a weathervane?

Is it an important declaration in view of spanish imperial claims or is it much ado about nothing? In the former case, what is the indication that Spain even gives a gently caress beyond the general issue that there needs to be a border deal because most of Gibraltar's suburbs are actual spanish territory, including where the last governor had his house.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Pissflaps posted:

What about it?

That's also a rather silly thing to say, that's all.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/848845506491162624

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Mélenchomentum is real!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That's tremendous. Hamon will ensure Macron and Le Pen go to the head to head. What a guy. What a microcosm of the left.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

forkboy84 posted:

That's tremendous. Hamon will ensure Macron and Le Pen go to the head to head. What a guy. What a microcosm of the left.

Given that he said Melenchon should drop out when he was ahead surely he should do the right thing and endorse Melenchon himself.

lol who am I kidding.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pissflaps, do tell me, what did the ageing Tory peer mean when he talked about "showing them what kind of people we are"?

Y e s

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

YF-23 posted:

Pissflaps, do tell me, what did the ageing Tory peer mean when he talked about "showing them what kind of people we are"?
TBF I think Howard showed pretty clearly what kind of people he speaks for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Satan, I know I'm behind on my blood sacrifices, but please somehow squeeze Melanchon into the second round and I swear I'll be right back on that demonic altar every day thereafter.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

At this point even the ideological sectarianism of no-hopers like Poutou and Arthaud is harming the far left's ability to capitalise on the anti-establishment sentiment that's pushing it forward. Falling in line has never been a strong point of the left's :sigh:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

gently caress all y'all naysayers, we've overtaken François Fillon and the next step is Marine Le Pen. No brakes on this train, can't stenchon the Mélenchon and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

gently caress all y'all naysayers, we've overtaken François Fillon and the next step is Marine Le Pen. No brakes on this train, can't stenchon the Mélenchon and all that.

Haute energie!