Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally killed midir but it was too late. I lost all my souls, that was a hell of a lot of souls lost down the drain. I'm glad he's dead. Is the katana any good? And how does the spell work? Is it like the dark blade spell or whatever in that it just has a giant magical sword do stuff for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

We already have The Surge coming out this summer(?) that is looking like sci-fi Souls with a sort of Alien/Doom aesthetic. You wear power armored rigs and it seems to take place on a mining colony.

What do people mean by scifi souls? Do they mean a difficult sci-fi game with sparse resources? An action RPG in a sci-fi setting? Literally the exact same game with a different skin?

I mean you could just play System Shock 2 if you wanted to play a horror sci-fi with sparse resources, an obtuse UI, and weapon breakage that no-one misses but people insist is very important to keep casuals away. It even has sci-fi bonfires! I'll grant that the level design and texture work is not on the same level but you gotta cut an 18 year old game some slack :p

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. That's why when I think Sci fi Souls it's like "ewwww" because I'm thinking like Mass Effect or military bro Sci Fi. But when I think about really outrageous sci fi like Fantastic planet or Zardoz or heavy Metal magazine stuff I feel like that could work.

There are obvious places to go once you recognise Dark Souls is mostly horror and only incidentally fantasy. Dead Space, the creepy planets from Aliens, System Shock, Soma, Event Horizon and yeah even Mass Effect (like the Overlord DLC) are all the kinds of settings that could easily suit a sci-fi Dark Souls game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm starting to regret these points in faith. Buffing seems really pointless when all the cool weapons can't be buffed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

I'm starting to regret these points in faith. Buffing seems really pointless when all the cool weapons can't be buffed.

There are plenty of cool weapons that can be buffed though. Buff builds in general aren't very good in DS3 compared to DS2 though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

There are plenty of cool weapons that can be buffed though. Buff builds in general aren't very good in DS3 compared to DS2 though.

The coolest one I have is the executioner's sword which is kind of running out of steam here. I'm running a strength focus. Never really got the hang of dex.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Nuebot posted:

It's better since the last patch since there are now a lot more weapons that scale well with one physical stat, but you really need a dedicated a 40/40 physical/magic stat build to make it worth it. I do wish there were some more superstar non-scaling or raw infused weapons like santier's spear or DS1 dragon weapons for the pure casters to buff at minimum physical stats.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Gimbal lock posted:

Everybody doing spear of the church stuff is repping the biggest heaviest weapons they can muster. Like 90% of people are using ultra greatswords.

The guy who killed me was using Friede's scythe and it was honestly a pretty baller fight. Would do again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

hampig posted:

It's better since the last patch since there are now a lot more weapons that scale well with one physical stat, but you really need a dedicated a 40/40 physical/magic stat build to make it worth it. I do wish there were some more superstar non-scaling or raw infused weapons like santier's spear or DS1 dragon weapons for the pure casters to buff at minimum physical stats.

I do have 40 faith. But like, I could put those into anything else or even int and cast lasers or something instead and just smash people with the black knight great sword or something, it does more damage than any buffed sword I have.

EDIT: The last fight of the DLC was pretty awesome, I was kind of expecting a third phase but it was really fun.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 3, 2017

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone else been having tons of issues with signs not appearing, and when they do the summon immediately failing?

I'm on PS4, and was trying to summon for the final boss of Ringed City, and probably 75% of the time I was waiting there were no signs at all.

And of the handful of signs that appeared, all but 2 failed to summon, giving an error message.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Haha I got summoned to a duel club where a guy was cheating to be invincible what the gently caress.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Happens on Steam too. In high population areas, people just summon them before you can; like the sign may appear in another player's game a few seconds before yours and someone else grabs him.

On an unrelated note, I've been using the onikiri and ubadachi on my main character from NG through to NG+3 until I got to the Ringed City. It was like hitting a wall. Couldn't stagger; couldn't guard break; kept getting the poo poo beat out of me. Switched back to GS of Artorias and it's been much easier.

Except for Midir. gently caress that dragon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Annath posted:

Anyone else been having tons of issues with signs not appearing, and when they do the summon immediately failing?

Yes but like Carl Seitan says, I get the idea it's just people being summoned before your summon request goes through, from what I've read on the DS Facebook, it's not a bug.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

basalt posted:

I've been offering my services as a phantom all week and have been summoned almost instantly while wearing a rather flattering combination of the Dancer's Armour and Ruin Leggings. I just switched to the Evangelist Robe for a change of pace and now seemingly nobody wants to summon me. I feel... maligned.

Fat shaming in action.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

mary had a little clam posted:

Am I crazy or did I just not see a Slave Knight set in the Handmaiden's shop???

It's looted off a corpse in the corvian village.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

These paired ultra greatswords are pretty great. I get summoned almost instantly if I wield them, too, which is funny. But strange question, do you need more than 40 STR to wield them properly in dual wield mode? Because I get like 400 damage out of a backstab on halflight and the painting guardians but I've seen people take off way more with a backstab.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think it's 66 STR

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

swamp waste posted:

"the world began without knowledge, and without knowledge it will end" is such a cosmically harsh burn that i think it covers a whole school of thought instead of just one guy. It could be referring to Aldia, Oceiros, Orbeck, or Seath, but even in Dark Souls it seems that investigating the universe doesn't change you being trapped in its material conditions. That's a pretty good line for a loving video game poem.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne seem super influenced by early fantasy and horror, like Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert Howard (the Conan guy). I wonder if that's what Miyazaki struggled to read in English as a kid, like he talked about in that famous interview. So when i think of sci fi souls I imagine like very early sci-fi, the John Carter and Voyage to Arcturus type of stories that used a lot of pure imagination in an unformed genre. Stolid victorian people getting pulled away from their whist and seances to become naked gods on Mars, radioactive swords, grafted-on psychic organs, metal lakes that kill by music, witches that make a tentacle of erectile tissue grow out of your heart if you think about them hornily... thats the good poo poo

Voyage to Arcturus is a 10/10 book but I'm not entirely sure it's the best kind of model for games about slaughtering giant monsters. I'd aim for The Night Land, which is basically already a Soulsborne setting right down to the sun going out and the main character's weapon being a whirligig saw.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think it's 66 STR

I think 66 STR is just for maximising STR weapons with good scaling. Two handing increases STR scaling by 1.5 so 66 is the point where two handed the scaling would lead to 99 STR. I think the dual greatswords only have B in STR scaling so not sure if 66 STR is worth it for them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've never played bloodborne, but since it has a gun, it sounds like what a sci do souls game would be similar to. I can't imagine a sci fi setting without guns.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be happy if they took Bloodborne a step further and basically adapted the Dream Voyage of an Unknown Kadath.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Carl Seitan posted:

Happens on Steam too. In high population areas, people just summon them before you can; like the sign may appear in another player's game a few seconds before yours and someone else grabs him.

Nice thing about the high demand for summons is that you can reliably get summoned as a purple!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sci-Fi is dumb because that's the first thing people suggest when they think there's nothing left to explore

(See Call of Duty)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think From could do cool things with transhumanist horror. In dark souls humanity is an unholy aberration, a story from them about blurring the lines of what it means to be human has to be interesting.

But yeah they should do whatever they like. Fantasy seems to be their wheel house.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd be happy if they took Bloodborne a step further and basically adapted the Dream Voyage of an Unknown Kadath.

A game set in the Dreamlands would be pretty cool, there's a lot of unusual stuff in there by modern stock fantasy standards and it's vaguely defined enough (and public domain enough) that you wouldn't have to step on too many toes.

An actual adaptation of Dream Quest would suck though because Randolph is a wimp, half of what he does is get abducted and the other half is sneak around. Meanwhile the guy from The Night Land is carving up giant spiders and kicking slugs the size of commuter trains into slimy abysses before engaging in light bdsm

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Man gently caress these ringed knights, these giant machete fatsos, and the enemy density on this staircase down to this mire that I'm terrified to enter. Also, gently caress Ledo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

Sci-Fi is dumb because that's the first thing people suggest when they think there's nothing left to explore

(See Call of Duty)

It is when you think about stuff in genre only.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

(See Call of Duty)

I just want to play dark souls in space. Or a lovely future city. It's not that there's "nothing left to explore" it's that those things could be rad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Octo1 posted:

Nice thing about the high demand for summons is that you can reliably get summoned as a purple!

Yeah I got fifteen straight summons at Earthen Peak Ruins as a Mad phantom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raptor1033 posted:

Man gently caress these ringed knights, these giant machete fatsos, and the enemy density on this staircase down to this mire that I'm terrified to enter. Also, gently caress Ledo.

Sprint down the stairs as fast as you can and hug the right wall of the swamp until you meet a big bug dude with magic spears. Roll past him and run up the stairs to the bonfire!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Wait Ledo is before the muck?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like a game that captures the careful, deadly pace of a first-time Souls playthrough and puts it in an extreme setting like space, that'd be my appeal for a sci-fi game.

Dead Space 2 actually came tantalizingly close to realizing a lot of things I'd want in a futuristic Souls game--windows that evacuated the air from rooms, plenty of space walks through giant engine furnaces and asteroid crushers, things like that. Space, outer space specifically, is so INCREDIBLY extreme compared to anything we see on Earth; I want that extremity, that absolutely deadly environment, to be reflected in a game with the careful and quality level design as the Souls titles.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Almost done with the DLC. After the kinda boring setting of the first DLC, I'm glad that this one feels like a return to form. The Ringed City is pretty rad, and I like the bizarre fusion of areas in the first part of the DLC. Great fun!

I'm kinda surprised there are so many people having issues with the first swamp area, to be honest. I think it was a very well designed area with a unique twists. There are barely any parts with annoying slowed movement; instead, it's an exercise in seeking cover through careful observation, baiting the angels around and dealing with surprise enemies while doing all that. It's a unique situation designed to provide no easy way out unless you play around with it; I was kinda reminded of the Anor Londo archers, actually.
The Ringed City itself is awesome. It's basically one huge well-done castle area with lots of interesting enemy variations, and the summoning giants are one of the coolest enemy types they've come up with - it's basically a way of turning the entire area into an enemy designed to keep you on your toes. (The turtle clerics do something similar, and they're great too.) The later swamp part with the locusts is kinda meh, but oh well, can't have everything.

Really liking the bosses so far, too. I haven't tried one of them yet (huge dark dragon), who might be an annoying one? Let's see. I'm definitely a huge fan of the final boss, in any case. It's ridiculously epic! Like, seriously, it would make a drat fine final boss for the entire series. There's dust storms, lightning, billowing evil blood capes, everything straight from a metal album cover. The weaponized cape and mid-air crossbow firing are pretty cool, too. I'm a little sad there's no final cutscene for giving the remains of the Dark Soul to the painter, but I'm just glad with what we've got. Nice closure to the series. Would've liked meeting Velka, though. (And murdering her for her hat.)

Next: basically La-Mulana in Souls style, please

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Raptor1033 posted:

Youre actually supposed to avoid the fatsos at the stairs for the most part.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wait Ledo is before the muck?

I first encountered him by taking this narrow path on the right middle of that big flight of stairs. Drop off the ledge to the right of the bug priest and go up a ladder, run away from those terrifying ring knights onto another path and bam! Invasion! So, sort of before the muck? But also in the muck?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemadras posted:

Next: basically La-Mulana in Souls style, please

I just want La-Mulana 2. That game is kind of like a cult, you lose yourself in it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Youre actually supposed to avoid the fatsos at the stairs for the most part.

I love running past stuff. I just booked it past the three NPC enemies near the end of the Grand Archives, and was pretty happy to find the elevator right behind them.

The real dark souls is getting to the point where you can go through the game killing as few enemies as possible.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Am I the only one who feels the Harald knights have a touch to much health?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
did I break Lapps quest? beat the final boss and went back to earthen and found him there, then in ringed city on a balcony. where next?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle w Benefits posted:

They are pretty easy to stagger, honestly. Granted, using a Claymore is basically the game's Easy Mode but in two swings of mine, once I put it towards STR, would stagger them, and they died in about five to six hits. So long as I could bait them to fight me one by one, they proved pretty easy to dispatch without taking damage, particularly if they use their easy to avoid jump move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Uncle w Benefits posted:

you have to plunge attack them. too bad I missed on about 1/3 of attempts