Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It does and I think they want it to feel bad because it is very much an anti control deck. It's similar to dshift which once was the second most played deck in game, crushing all control decks while being crushed by aggro decks. Their philosophy is probably that this is perfectly fine because if aegis becomes super popular than people will run aggro decks to counter it, and when the ladder is full of aggro decks than people will run control decks to counter them, and then to counter control people will run aegis and dshift, etc etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Post the deck.

Anyways, I just finished my dailies, which included winning 3 shadowcraft games. So I just made a lovely aggro deck and won 2 games on the first turn. Now that's some value for my time!

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It does and I think they want it to feel bad because it is very much an anti control deck. It's similar to dshift which once was the second most played deck in game, crushing all control decks while being crushed by aggro decks. Their philosophy is probably that this is perfectly fine because if aegis becomes super popular than people will run aggro decks to counter it, and when the ladder is full of aggro decks than people will run control decks to counter them, and then to counter control people will run aegis and dshift, etc etc etc

Yeah I can see that. I just feel like if your metagame is just a lot of decks that really crush each other and are crushed by other decks in turn, it can kind of reduce the element of player skill and decision making in the games themselves.

I guess it's too early to say how that is going to shake out after this expansion though. I liked playing the combo decks in this game so I hope some of them continue to be viable.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i've been playing bolt-roach since the expansion and that seems viable still as far as combo decks go. though I'll be honest in saying that it mire ore less rolls over to aggro shadow now thanks to the skeleton king.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

secret volcano lair posted:

Yeah I can see that. I just feel like if your metagame is just a lot of decks that really crush each other and are crushed by other decks in turn, it can kind of reduce the element of player skill and decision making in the games themselves.

I guess it's too early to say how that is going to shake out after this expansion though. I liked playing the combo decks in this game so I hope some of them continue to be viable.

And I think that is part of why they created aegis because dshift used to have like 70+ win rate vs control while having a <30 win rate vs aggro. Aegis while very favorable vs control is nowhere close to dshift's dominance and it also doesn't auto fold against aggro

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

trucutru posted:

Post the deck.

Anyways, I just finished my dailies, which included winning 3 shadowcraft games. So I just made a lovely aggro deck and won 2 games on the first turn. Now that's some value for my time!

https://twitter.com/para_chan_/status/848093300875591680

Decks poop tho, it loses too much

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Just went 5-0 for the first time!

Dragon's pretty stronk in T2 in the new meta, as it turns out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

What happened to good old deck-builder links?

Pancakius
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think I planned this out well enough.

Maybe I need to add some Fortes in to get a bit of chip damage.

edit:

I think I found my gimmick deck for the expansion.

Everyone expects 13 face damage from a Zell+Bahamut combo, but nobody expects 21 damage from Zell+2x Wildfang+Angel Crusher combo.

Pancakius fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 3, 2017

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Pancakius posted:

I don't think I planned this out well enough.

Maybe I need to add some Fortes in to get a bit of chip damage.

edit:

I think I found my gimmick deck for the expansion.

Everyone expects 13 face damage from a Zell+Bahamut combo, but nobody expects 21 damage from Zell+2x Wildfang+Angel Crusher combo.

How are you getting angel crusher to be cheap enough to play with Zell and 2x wildfangs?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yukari posted:

How are you getting angel crusher to be cheap enough to play with Zell and 2x wildfangs?

Wyvern Cavalier, presumably.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

This is what I live for

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It was better the other day when I was on 10 health against a 20 health haven who had just dropped and evolved their aegis, but it slipped off my replay list.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Oh hey, the OP changed. Nice insight about legendary tiers, although I would switch Sibyl and Forte.

Full wallet Dragon has no need of Forte anymore. They can just play Zell and give storm to Bahamut/Ouroboros/Israfil. Zell himself becomes 4/4 and can be used to get rid of a ward as well.
Meanwhile Sibyl is a no brainer always play on 5/6 pp. Ramp, healing, huge body and full evolve stats. A card this good could be 7 play points and still be 3 of in every dragon deck.

Meanwhile Grimnir, while not a legendary, it should be! 2/3 3 pp ward is amazing in control and the enhance effect is a solid board clear, 4 damage finisher. I see this stupid motherfucker in every deck in every class except Forest, probably because they got their own overstated 2/3 3 pp ward.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
yeah grimnir is gross even my deck has 2 of him

anyways this is what I'm playing...

https://tinyurl.com/lfvekuc

Works pretty good but sometimes I get all 3 Azazels before drawing Baphomet which is hilarious and frustrating. I'd swap the Savage Hunt out for another Belphegor in a heartbeat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Got him right where I want him.

Apparently I was playing a Mill deck.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 3, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I have 3 melvies and was trying to figure put what I want to use them for. Mill sounds hilarious!

What do we have for it other than melv and sammy..?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jimmy Hats posted:

I have 3 melvies and was trying to figure put what I want to use them for. Mill sounds hilarious!

What do we have for it other than melv and sammy..?

Well, you can't really mill normally. It only worked there because the other guy played Satan.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Clarste posted:

Well, you can't really mill normally. It only worked there because the other guy played Satan.

I might try running like a 60 card tempo deck and see if i can mill haha

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

Oh hey, the OP changed. Nice insight about legendary tiers, although I would switch Sibyl and Forte.

Full wallet Dragon has no need of Forte anymore. They can just play Zell and give storm to Bahamut/Ouroboros/Israfil. Zell himself becomes 4/4 and can be used to get rid of a ward as well.
Meanwhile Sibyl is a no brainer always play on 5/6 pp. Ramp, healing, huge body and full evolve stats. A card this good could be 7 play points and still be 3 of in every dragon deck.

Meanwhile Grimnir, while not a legendary, it should be! 2/3 3 pp ward is amazing in control and the enhance effect is a solid board clear, 4 damage finisher. I see this stupid motherfucker in every deck in every class except Forest, probably because they got their own overstated 2/3 3 pp ward.

Sibyl is definitely a toppest tier legendary but in terms of my reroll tiers, like Cerberus she will never be SS just because she is not an autoinclude in every single deck

Also I threw up in my mouth yesterday; I went first and at the fourth turn I had 1/4ward and 4/4 on board, then on their turn with 7pp he plays Sibyl, evolves Zell and now he has a 4/3 and 4/1 on board with 2 evolves left, full health and 9pp in his next turn

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, I highly dislike cards like Grimnir and Lightning Blast, because to me it feels like they're extremely good against decks that are bad, and merely good against decks that are good. Rather than just empowering new decks, they also kick the decks who are already down, which just seems rude to me. Specifically, I feel like Nephthys, which wasn't a great deck in the first place, got a billion new counters that those classes didn't even especially need to be better than it anyway. I mean, Lightning Blast is a great board clear, but it's an even better board clear against Nephthys for almost no reason at all, utterly killing the deck in any control match-up. Why? Especially since Nep got 0 support in the rest of the expansion. Feels bad for them to just abandon decks like that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 3, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Give bloodcraft a banish. Neph is very rude to me sometimes (not really)

But yeah ramp dragon is gotdang annoying and the main reason i am playing OTK right now

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Banish effects suck. I was really psyched to play Seraph when I first discovered the game but I can't justify the dust to craft 2nd and 3rd copies in a world with so much banish floating around.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

BGrifter posted:

Banish effects suck. I was really psyched to play Seraph when I first discovered the game but I can't justify the dust to craft 2nd and 3rd copies in a world with so much banish floating around.

I mean, there would be no counter for seraph if you can't banish it. Destroying it only makes it better!

Banish effects are good in moderation, Odin is a decent example because he's so expensive and only hits 1 thing, and I also think that the cheap, narrowly focused ones (like blackened scripture) are good too. Lightning breath is banish gone too far.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

remove the dirtmage from shadowv erse

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I do have to wonder when things will rotate out if ever, otherwise everything has to be designed with things like lightning blast, aegis, and the such in mind. (Already seen from Daria and Neph in a way)

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Yukari posted:

I do have to wonder when things will rotate out if ever, otherwise everything has to be designed with things like lightning blast, aegis, and the such in mind. (Already seen from Daria and Neph in a way)
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/29/shadowverse-talking-tempest-of-the-gods-with-cygames

quote:

IGN: What’s the tipping point for Shadowverse to introduce formats? How many cards is too many? Obviously the more cards you have in the overall pool the less impact a new set will have.

Naoyuki Miyashita: From very early on in development we were thinking about making this game something that lasts many years, so we do definitely recognise the importance of introducing formats, like other card games out there. So that’s something we’ve always been preparing for and considering, however, we can’t really give you a specific number [of cards] or date at this point.

That's not much of an answer, but at least they're thinking about it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BGrifter posted:

There's a whole whoopin 3 cards outside of Havencraft that banish amulets, only one of them is available to all classes, one of them is Petrification, and the last one is Lightning Blast.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There was a good six months of seraph meta. While the power creep in this game is epic (compare Eachtar to basically anything) I dont mind that strategies get rapidly obsoleted. Expect something to hose aegis in the next six months.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I was more talking about how yesterday, I saw one of the streamers I watch regularly attempt to make a commandercraft deck, and when he got matched up against dragon was some of the saddest matches possible, because any amount of setup he did got instantly blown away by Bahamut and/or lightning blast.

Also, how do you hose aegis without just killing them faster? It's literally immune to everything except attack/defense modifications, so it cannot be controlled or stopped.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they can introduce more cards that affect attack and defense

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Awesome! posted:

they can introduce more cards that affect attack and defense

How would affecting aegis' defense accomplish anything at all? You can't deal any damage to it anyway.
Printing Aldor Peacekeeper would hose it pretty hard, granted

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i assume if you change its defense to 0 it would die

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Print a neutral card that costs 10 that reads "deal 1 damage to an enemy follower and 1 damage to the enemy leader, repeat until the follower dies"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Trip Report: Mill Melvie doesn't work

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

i assume if you change its defense to 0 it would die

Changing the maximum defense of a mon to zero is a roundabout way of doing damage to it. And the aegis can't be damaged. Like, there are like a billion redditors that are convinced that this interaction is totally different from damage (I have had fun discussions with them) but it is damage. Cygames really opened aspergora's box with the text on that card. Invulnerable or "cannot be removed from play" would have been better, IMO.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

trucutru posted:

Changing the maximum defense of a mon to zero is a roundabout way of doing damage to it. And the aegis can't be damaged.
but its defense can be changed. so by that definition it can be damaged

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

but its defense can be changed. so by that definition it can be damaged

Yeah, and if that contradicts the "can't be damaged" text one must think a bit and reach a conclusion. D&D rule-lawyering nerds will totally reach the wrong, convoluted one, because that's what they do.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so what do you think would happen to a 0 health aegis? it just sits there with 0 health?

thats possible i guess. i feel like it is the less likely outcome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Aegis is a bad card

• Locked thread