Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I'm pretty sure what determines resist poison is how ludicrously OP mephitic cloud used to be and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

LordSloth posted:

I'm pretty sure what determines resist poison is how ludicrously OP mephitic cloud used to be and nothing else.

What changed? I have vague memories back in the day of it being super OP back when SpEn was the ezmode combo, but I don't remember what exactly the difference was.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Lernean Hydra is two tiles tall and too big for nets :I

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I will never not be amused by the fact that dragons can't open doors.

e: Also standing on the opposite side of a door from a mob and repeatedly closing it. It's like pillar dancing but you only have to press a single key!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

vOv posted:

What changed? I have vague memories back in the day of it being super OP back when SpEn was the ezmode combo, but I don't remember what exactly the difference was.

IIRC, before: checked rP. After: checks rP, rolls against HitDice, your rough monster level analog. There were other tweaks, but I think that is the critical one that switched it from something 100% instant rear end-saving to something requiring foresight. I was more attempting goon levels of sass then serious considering all the monsters added since then. Looking over the changes I'm actually surprised to see a buff in 2014, though it makes sense the bulk of the changes were in 2007 and earlier so I may remember some things wrong.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Halfling hunter of Oka, get all three lair runes, grab Vaults and Abyss as well. After I want to do some extended so I figure I'll convert to Zin considering that TSO doesn't allow stabbing. I think Pandemonium and Tomb are really boring so I'm in hell now, and I have a lot of rC lying around. Now I'm in cocytus while under Okawaru's wrath.

This is, uh, definitely my punishment for being lazy.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
The Zealot sword is anti-Semitic and should be renamed (possible new name: crusader sword??)

Samog fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 1, 2017

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
it should be renamed the "very serious about religion" sword.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Samog posted:

The Zealot sword is anti-Semitic and should be renamed (possible new name: crusader sword??)

Agreed. I typed up a 10,000 word blog to explain how triggered and upset I was but I deleted it before hitting post.

Suffice to say the "Zealot" sword is just as, if not more problematic than the Sword of Jihad.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Agreed. I typed up a 10,000 word blog to explain how triggered and upset I was but I deleted it before hitting post.

Suffice to say the "Zealot" sword is just as, if not more problematic than the Sword of Jihad.

If you can't post 10,000 words about it then really you're just complaining and not trying to be part of the development process. Controlled Fly away troll.

Samog fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 2, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Well must be running dry if sword of zealot of all things is a target for poking fun at

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I did laugh when the sword was renamed, because it didn't become any less religiously problematic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it kinda did though

"jihad" is, a bit of a politically charged word atm

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I would've gone with "Shining Sword" since it fits the TSO angle and it thematically resonates with the Singing Sword

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

IronicDongz posted:

it kinda did though

Yeah, and the term wasn't even being used correctly. It's not like Crawl has to educate people but the name of the weapon should actually mean a thing that makes sense and not imply some unfunny stereotype

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

it kinda did though

I said religiously.

And I honestly don't give a poo poo whether or not Crawl draws from real religion, but it's not like any of the other religious representations are particularly accurate or sensitive.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
either way nothing else is or was to the same degree as a 'jihad' sword which drives you into a blind rage

nothing else is directly referencing a religion beyond TSO's christian iconography(which has essentially nothing to do with what the god actually does) and beogh's waterwalking(which is pretty mild)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Counter argument: who cares what name they give a sword in an ultra obscure computer game. Who exactly are you guys worried about offending?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Counter counter argument: why be lovely when it takes little to no effort to not be in this case?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
ISIS uses EUIV to make maps.

The nerd runs deep in this world.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

NiggerKiller posted:

Counter argument: who cares what name they give a sword in an ultra obscure computer game. Who exactly are you guys worried about offending?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

World Famous W posted:

Counter counter argument: why be lovely when it takes little to no effort to not be in this case?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Sword of Eternally Tormented High Elven Singularity.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Sword of Haste

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dammit I knew I forgot something.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

oh my

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Sword of Cancer

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

All enemies hit with it die horribly 20 years later.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
I am still mad about WJC. Fuckers took away the only fun thing in the game in years and didn't even leave it in long enough for it to be tagged in a way I can get back to online.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Superterranean posted:

I am still mad about WJC. Fuckers took away the only fun thing in the game in years and didn't even leave it in long enough for it to be tagged in a way I can get back to online.

The Wu Jian Council? I'm playing them right now on the bear potato server:

+7 triple sword of Gocun {drain, rPois rF+ rN++ Dex+3}. Nice acquirement for D6, wonder how I'll screw this one up....

I can't believe there are people who play the way the posters on the Crawl Tavern think they do, moving optimally in ever situation. I do like everyone else does, as Steel Neuron pointed out: tab when there is no threat and use moves when there is (or when I just loving FEEL LIKE IT because they are FUN and DIFFERENT).

This to me sums up the view of WJC from the dev perspective:

Lasty posted:

I would prefer that Tab stay the default method of launching a melee attack even when playing with a god that offers martial attacks.

Lasty posted:

I really would prefer if players get no bonuses from martial attacks aside from positioning

However, I think at some point I think Lasty realized this was a bit narrow-minded/myopic, and that people enjoy playing the council, and I think you'll see the god (gods?) stay in trunk with the nerfed wall jump.

Or did you want the one with all the floating weapons? Because that one was cool but it sure was busy and it made my little 16 bit brain hurt.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

hi friends I'd like to ask some newbie questions. My furtherest ever character is currently an 18 FoFi Oka, inspired by a post here a little while ago

Anyway, some of these mechanics are pretty opaque. Do I ever want some dex and evasion? Or just keep pumping strength? Are there generally agreed thresholds/diminishing returns for attributes?

Currently

27 Str Int 9 Dex 10
AC 34 EV 10 with a +8 plate, no training in evasion yet

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Dex is primarily weapon accuracy now, I think, so yeah you should be leveling that

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Hasn't that been changed so its strength for weapon damage for melee weapons and dex for ranged with accuracy being determined by weapon skill/fighting?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Araganzar posted:

However, I think at some point I think Lasty realized this was a bit narrow-minded/myopic, and that people enjoy playing the council, and I think you'll see the god (gods?) stay in trunk with the nerfed wall jump.

Or did you want the one with all the floating weapons? Because that one was cool but it sure was busy and it made my little 16 bit brain hurt.

I wanted the one with the unnerfed wall jump, the one where choosing WJC meant melee combat could be more fun than just tab all the loving time. More movement skills made the game more fun - and it made Optimal Play a different thing for WJC than it was for all the other gods. Now it's just back to tab all the goddamn time, which is boring for me. Or playing blaster mages. Which is boring too, frankly.

Anyone know any good roguelikes?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Why does cool things like Wall jump and spin kicks or whatsver have to be connected to a particular diety?? Why not let melee characters have access to that kind of stuff normally

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I hear Crawl stone soup is a good one.

blaster casters rule

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Carcer posted:

Hasn't that been changed so its strength for weapon damage for melee weapons and dex for ranged with accuracy being determined by weapon skill/fighting?
Str increases damage for all weapons, dex increases accuracy for all weapons. Weapon skill and fighting also increase damage and accuracy(weapon skill for all weapons of that type, fighting for all weapons). This applies to both melee and ranged.

Str increases damage by roughly +25% of damage per 10 points of str above 10. How much Dex affects accuracy I don't quite understand, though accuracy generally isn't as important anyhow.

Nosre posted:

hi friends I'd like to ask some newbie questions. My furtherest ever character is currently an 18 FoFi Oka, inspired by a post here a little while ago

Anyway, some of these mechanics are pretty opaque. Do I ever want some dex and evasion? Or just keep pumping strength? Are there generally agreed thresholds/diminishing returns for attributes?

Currently

27 Str Int 9 Dex 10
AC 34 EV 10 with a +8 plate, no training in evasion yet
Yes, you want some evasion even as a heavy armor guy. My personal rule of thumb is that on almost all characters, I get 10 armor and 10 dodging(after I have leveled more important offensive skills like weapon skill and fighting, or spell schools/invo/evo if I'm using those heavily), and then more of either armor or dodging depending on which I am relying on more.

As for stats, you should check the description of your body armor-it will have an "encumbrance" number. You want Strength which is at least equal to that, ideally a bit higher(especially if you want to cast spells in that armor). Once your Str is a few points higher than your armor's encumbrance, consider increasing Dex instead(going heavy into Str is also viable, but usually it's a good idea to get Dex for more EV).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 3, 2017

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017
As a WJC update, I tried one last ditch effort to nerf WJC in a way that I found fun (restoring the always available wall jump while offering other drawbacks in exchange) and opened a PR, but it seems there isn't enough dev support for that one to make it through either, and to be honest I'm not convinced I am doing the right thing anymore. To even get in the conversation to begin with, I had to propose nerfs much stricter than what I think is necessary really...

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Trunko posted:

Why does cool things like Wall jump and spin kicks or whatsver have to be connected to a particular diety?? Why not let melee characters have access to that kind of stuff normally

Goes against design goal of melee=tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Trunko posted:

But only when your held weapon is at* min-delay (10+ for unarmed). This means that you won't easily access the abilities as a typical 'pure' caster, gives a reason to use lighter weapons instead of the biggest thing you find as a melee primary, and adds a little extra punch to being drained.

* Or close to, find that balance point.

• Locked thread