Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It'd be hilarious if Apple bought them after the price crash. IT had been angling for a buyout for years, I think, and Apple still holds a minority stake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously I know none of the details of their GPU or the code used to support it, but the suggestion that Apple couldn't lock a couple dozen mega nerds into a room to do a clean room implementation over a few years is ridiculous. They've literally got the biggest bankroll on the planet, if anyone could do it it's them.

GPU's aren't THAT big of a mystery.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

xzzy posted:

GPU's aren't THAT big of a mystery.

Intel hasn't been able to vastly improve their integrated GPUs for a while now, although they do make some progress from gen to gen..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, Apple will certainly see some regression by moving to in-house but the basic concept of getting a pixel on a screen is not a mystery. All we have to worry about is whether they suffer growing pains on stuff they're selling, or it's just sweating that their prototypes aren't good enough.

But they did bring their main processor design in-house a few years ago and seem to have done okay.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A couple of clarifying stories seem to indicate Imagination Technologies believes Apple has poached some of their IP designs/concepts during acquisition talks in the last year.

But it's hard to separate that from IT's other concern of losing over half their business.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So I washed my Airpods and they are toast. How is the fruit stand on having no receipt? I bought them off eBay so have no proof of purchase.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The fruit stand doesn't serve jabronies.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

jabro posted:

So I washed my Airpods and they are toast. How is the fruit stand on having no receipt? I bought them off eBay so have no proof of purchase.

I don't understand, what is your objective even if you had a receipt?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I don't understand, what is your objective even if you had a receipt?
"they just stopped working, I don't know what happened!"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jabro posted:

Did you pay for the Airpods with a card that has a purchase protection benefit? If so, you could check the terms of your card benefits to see if your purchase was eligible and find out how to file a claim if so.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

astral posted:

Did you pay for the Airpods with a card that has a purchase protection benefit? If so, you could check the terms of your card benefits to see if your purchase was eligible and find out how to file a claim if so.

jabro posted:

I bought them off eBay so have no proof of purchase.

Don't know much about those types of programs via CC companies, would that cover an eBay purchase?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yes, Apple will certainly see some regression by moving to in-house but the basic concept of getting a pixel on a screen is not a mystery. All we have to worry about is whether they suffer growing pains on stuff they're selling, or it's just sweating that their prototypes aren't good enough.
David Kanter (he knows his poo poo) wrote six months ago how Apple has already moved to a custom, proprietary design rather than an off-the-shelf Imagination part:

http://www.realworldtech.com/apple-custom-gpu/

This move is likely just Apple thinking they can break free from the last of Imagination's IP for the rest of the GPU.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

sleepwalkers posted:

Don't know much about those types of programs via CC companies, would that cover an eBay purchase?

We can't possibly know the terms of your individual CC benefit, check with your card. If they were used it will not cover it, only new items.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

"they just stopped working, I don't know what happened!"

You would never do this right SWSP? I don't think I would stoop to that level, I'm not sure.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

jabro posted:

Aren't AirPods water resistant?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

There's a difference between going out in the rain and having the headphones run through a washing machine.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Water resistant means water resistant, it doesn't mean "feel free to throw them in the drat washing machine".

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Stoop to this level, lol. Same thread that is like, "How dare Apple gut consumers by even offering 16gig phones." To "hey don't take advantage of little old Apple!"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

wait so is this dude just trying to scam some free airpods cause he's a dummy or am I missing something

also I wonder if they have any kind of water/moisture exposure marker on it like iphones

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Selane posted:

Water resistant means water resistant, it doesn't mean "feel free to throw them in the drat washing machine".

Actually, yeah, I mistook water resistant for waterproof.

GoldfishStew posted:

Stoop to this level, lol. Same thread that is like, "How dare Apple gut consumers by even offering 16gig phones." To "hey don't take advantage of little old Apple!"

I took advantage of Apple by cracking my screen and still getting AppleCare+ by passing the remote diagnostic. :twisted:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Intel hasn't been able to vastly improve their integrated GPUs for a while now, although they do make some progress from gen to gen..

To defend Intel a bit, by building the integrated GPU into the die, there's a limit to how clever and powerful they can get without blowing the thermals or cost out of proportion.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

GoldfishStew posted:

"2 wrongs don't make a right," I hesitate to commit $160 in fraud, Apple isn't committing fraud by making $$$$$$ off of consumers in very clever ways. I think your analogy game is weak.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Michael Scott posted:

You would never do this right SWSP? I don't think I would stoop to that level, I'm not sure.

There are no ethical actions in a capitalist system.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I'm just telling you what I figure his plan is, not endorsing it.

I'm glad we're gonna do the warranty fraud argument again though. That's always fun.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Guess I should have said I plan on telling them what happened and hoping they would do an exception like they do sometimes with people losing them. Just wasn't sure about having no receipt.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Got my AirPods. They're really nice and easy to use. Definitely worth the $170 & month+1 week wait.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Got my AirPods. They're really nice and easy to use. Definitely worth the $170 & month+1 week wait.

I got mine a few weeks ago and I love them. They are seriously the most convenient headphones of all time. I used istocknow.com and got an email that Target had them in stock online, I ordered them and got them 2 days later.
A+ to both Apple on the airpods and to istocknow.com for not having to fight any preordering/in store hunting fight.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

They do not claim to be

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

The game is being played. There is no cookie for not playing. They're eating well over there.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

GoldfishStew posted:

The game is being played. There is no cookie for not playing. They're eating well over there.

You're a terrible poster. I hope for your sake you're a rereg and didn't get this bad this fast.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Talk about phones not about posters, dork.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Been using the 6 plus for 2 years. Contract is done. Time for a new phone.

I'm craving the SE. I loved my iPhone 5 and the design and flat sides which meant no case needed.

Anyone else downgrade from the big screen to the smaller one?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had a 5s on loan for a few weeks while I was getting my replacement 6s+ and I didn't like it at all.

It feels like a baby's phone

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My bitch today is that apple news pushed the winners to some basketball game to me as "breaking news."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's good, cool news to get, so sounds like it's working as intended.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ChocNitty posted:

Been using the 6 plus for 2 years. Contract is done. Time for a new phone.

I'm craving the SE. I loved my iPhone 5 and the design and flat sides which meant no case needed.

Anyone else downgrade from the big screen to the smaller one?

I went from a 6+ to an SE and love it. Just feels more like a phone to me. I don't really do any web browsing or non audio media consumption on it so if those things are important to you I'd consider a 7 or 6 regular.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Boris Galerkin posted:

My bitch today is that apple news pushed the winners to some basketball game to me as "breaking news."

If you don't like news, turn off news notifications. Winner of a big tournament is news. You don't have to care about something for it to be news.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

That's not breaking news. It's a game. Grow up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GoldfishStew posted:

That's not breaking news. It's a game. Grow up.

It's one notification. Grow up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In the time i installed apple news (a few months) I've only ever had three breaking news stories pushed to me

The first one was about trumps muslim ban being lifted. The second was about it being reinstated.

And now the third one is about a basketball game.

Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Today I learned about long pressing the new tab button in Safari.