Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Obama-voting counties switched. I haven't seen anything indicating that individuals who voted Obama twice switch to Trump en masse.

trumrp voters would​ never vôte fr'auide!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I did a thing posted:

Everyone should read this. It's pretty wild stuff.

I was reading about Patrice Lumumba over the weekend. It made me want a good history of the CIA's various nefarious dealings over the years.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I did a thing posted:

Everyone should read this. It's pretty wild stuff.

Man, joementum's alt is thinly veiled this time around

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

prefect posted:

"Hunt", right. I bet they have to fight the job offers off with a stick. Nobody will ever be financially insecure and nobody will ever be punished.

Lets not pretend like revolving door lobbying isn't a terrible thing that's been going on for generations. Who cares if it's foreigners or domestic Capital that has access to the government, borders are an invention of the bourgeois. All oppress labor.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

zegermans posted:

Is it just me or are the old bitch tweets this morning snoozers

@FBI

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

indigi posted:

unless everyone who voted Obama in 08 and 12 stayed home and the other 40-55% of the people who hadn't voted in the previous two elections came out to vote, a bunch of people literally must have switched from Obama to Trump

You're really sort of messing the up possible causes there. You wouldn't need "everyone" who voted for Obama in 08/12 to stay home, just a few thousand (depending on county of course) which may only be a few percentage of his total votes there, and you could easily have a similar number of that huge chunk of non-voters who sat home in 08/12 deciding to turn out in 2016. You wouldn't need more than a few percentage points each way to swing things.

"Significant numbers of people switched from voting for Obama twice to voting for Trump" really doesn't seem like the most plausible explanation imo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I did a thing posted:

The collapse will be televised and live-streamed.

lol at you goobers still using the future tense

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Not like there are other examples where he was inciting violence...against the press pool no less

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I mean yeah under a normal mattering presidency the president using his bully pulplit to lean on the people investigating him would be huge news, but....

https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/692155362552778752?lang=en

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!

zegermans posted:

Is it just me or are the old bitch tweets this morning snoozers
you can only spin "RUSSIA!" or "HILLARY!" so much, esp when you're holding lovely cards (and you repeatedly show your hand to others)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ahahahaha, Good Morning America just said: "Trump hits the golf course to score a deal on healthcare!"

Ahahahahahaha

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

prefect posted:

I was reading about Patrice Lumumba over the weekend. It made me want a good history of the CIA's various nefarious dealings over the years.

Killing Hope by william blum

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fits my needs posted:

Ahahahaha, Good Morning America just said: "Trump hits the golf course to score a deal on healthcare!"

Ahahahahahaha

Its cool and good when a white guy does it. He's just used to a certain standard of living, and isn't just living it up on the taxpayer dime.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

mannerup posted:

pentagon released a statement confirming it, her follow up tweet was this

https://twitter.com/FranTownsend/status/848880655681409025

so he is in iraq?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

BeOSPOS posted:

Man, joementum's alt is thinly veiled this time around

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/847856278848380928

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zegermans posted:

Lets not pretend like revolving door lobbying isn't a terrible thing that's been going on for generations. Who cares if it's foreigners or domestic Capital that has access to the government, borders are an invention of the bourgeois. All oppress labor.

No argument here. I'm just mad about things in general, I guess. :smith:

FizFashizzle posted:

Looking this up now, thanks. :tipshat:

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

prefect posted:

You'll want to read Legacy of Ashes.

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Ashes-History-Tim-Weiner/dp/0307389006

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Augus posted:

lol at you goobers still using the future tense

Live tweeted isn't nearly as exciting sounding

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Will also check this out, thanks. :tipshat:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oh poo poo :stonkhat:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

FizFashizzle posted:

rather redundant title but yeah

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Dark Souls fanfic getting weird

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

so its not kevin j anderson's legacy of ashes the fifth book in the jedi academy septrology?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Poor rural people do not understand the value of money and do not understand how expensive it is to run a civilized society. They just see that a teacher might start at $40k and think that's an insane amount of waste because they can't comprehend what that money buys.

:laffo: where except maybe Alaska do teachers start at $40k

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Citizen Tayne posted:

As we discuss this I'm watching a controversy unfold on Facebook in my home town. People were selling uninspected homemade sausage without a permit and someone got sick so the Feds came to destroy any remaining stock and fine the makers. The FB group is now in a tizzy about "government overreach" because god forbid your food not make you sick.

That FB group are a bunch of loving morons then. The free market doesn't do a damned thing till the damage is already done. It's like back when Firestone tires were defective and Firestone issued a recall after a few thousand incidents took place. The only reason they issued a recall was because the Feds told them to or they'd get fined/shut down.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Weiner's book "Enemies" goes into how the FBI hosed up the 9/11 intelligence by ignoring a field agent who had one of the hijacker's laptop's in her possession for months. Also a lot of fun stuff about the Hoover era, like when he invited Nixon over for dinner and they ate steak in a room with lava lamps and beads because J. Edgar want to understand the yout's.

Coll, mentioned above, also wrote the definitive book on Exxon, which is a good read for people who want to know more about Rex Tillerson's actual record than the time he got an award in Russia. Like the stuff about how he runs private armies and wants to build a pipeline through Turkey to compete against the Russian oil interests.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

But you get to eat all the beaver you can trap!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Are you seriously trying to make a point about run away defense spending in the USSR while in America?

Just lol forever

Uhh yeah. Have you every heard the joke about the workers in the soviet bed factory that can't find a bed to buy in their hometown? One of he workers goes into work and steals parts to make a bed so that he can have something to sleep on at night. He does this for months on end but all he is ends up with after multiple tries are a bunch of ak-47s.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lots of places depending on the district? Just a hair over $40k is the starting salary for someone with a BS and zero years of experience in my wife's suburban Chicago district.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Citizen Tayne posted:

As we discuss this I'm watching a controversy unfold on Facebook in my home town. People were selling uninspected homemade sausage without a permit and someone got sick so the Feds came to destroy any remaining stock and fine the makers. The FB group is now in a tizzy about "government overreach" because god forbid your food not make you sick.

Reminds me of my favorite story from last year.

https://twitter.com/io9/status/707628045486702593

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Joementum posted:

Weiner's book "Enemies" goes into how the FBI hosed up the 9/11 intelligence by ignoring a field agent who had one of the hijacker's laptop's in her possession for months. Also a lot of fun stuff about the Hoover era, like when he invited Nixon over for dinner and they ate steak in a room with lava lamps and beads because J. Edgar want to understand the yout's.

Coll, mentioned above, also wrote the definitive book on Exxon, which is a good read for people who want to know more about Rex Tillerson's actual record than the time he got an award in Russia. Like the stuff about how he runs private armies and wants to build a pipeline through Turkey to compete against the Russian oil interests.
LOLOLOL "compete" yeah sure joe

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

The problem solves itself.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
time is a flat butthole

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

prefect posted:

What were you reading on Lumumba? I'd be interested in that

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

time is a flat butthole

imagine 4 farts in a butt
time works the same way

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

americans expect teachers to solve all their kids' problems and they get to have their taxes as low as possible

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Joementum posted:

Haha, hoisted by his own retard

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
west virginia only deserves misery

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

zegermans posted:

The problem solves itself.

Well a whole bunch of kids will die first

But they probably didn't stand a chance anyway if their parents were that dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

[/b][/i]LOLOLOL "compete" yeah sure joe

Yes, the Russians favor an alternate pipeline route that goes through Syria. These are projects going back over a decade.

• Locked thread