Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Another thing to note about the different corps is that the emotion spectrum they represent also shows how volatile the power is. Willpower is the center of the spectrum, so it's the most tempered/controllable. Love on the other hand exists on a farther end, which makes it harder to control, and makes the wielder more extreme in their actions.

Also, the different corps affect each other in different ways. Compassion itself isn't a power that is tangible that can create constructs, it channels the other corps' powers (and they could teleport); Hope's main ability is amplifying the power of Willpower, and I think it was also used to removed the Rage rings from the wielder (becoming a Rage Lantern meant permanently fusing it to your body).

The best corp of course was the Avarice Lanterns, who were actually a army of light constructs of past ringbearers killed by Larfleez, who wanted all the power to himself, becoming the single wielder of the full power of a entire corp.

MINE!

Don't forget that Blue Lanterns are completely useless without a GL. I actually liked the idea that willpower and hope complimented each other. The RL thing was that wielding a red ring literally killed you, with the liquid rage replacing your blood (and the ring becoming your heart) and becoming the only thing keeping you alive.

Indigo Lanterns (Compassion) were the mos underused corporation for most of Johns run but boy, the reveal about them was pretty hosed up. Turns out all the Indigo Lanterns are the worst sociopaths in the universe forced to feel empathy by their rings. The idea being that after servicing under the corps for a long time they would be rehabilitated.

And let's not forget the White Lanterns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

the junkie obsessed with Batman that seemingly can't go five minutes without saying how he will break you.

MinibarMatchman posted:

"oh I'm bane, I break people, that's what I do"

That's why I love the latest episode of Death Battle. It's Bane vs. Venom and although Bane's advantages include better hand-to-hand combat and intellect, he loses because he's too dumb not to try breaking a weakened Venom over his knee. Because that's his whole deal. Rather than lose, Venom just impales him a bunch of times and shrugs off the broken back.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm enjoying the write ups for the different lantern corps. Pretty cool lore. What about the rest?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

They should put Larfleeze in this game also

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

They should put Larfleeze in this game also

Ya there more I read about him the more I like him. If Batman can have his entire rogues gallery show up, GL can have a few of his join in too.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I will also take Orange Lantern Lex Luthor as an acceptable substitute

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Seriously the best part about the Orange Lantern is that the oath, instead of being lines long, is "MINE".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

When I was reading Johns' Lantern story, the hinting of the spirit animals briefly led me to think he was going to do a thing where the Butcher was actually based on man's ancestor, since it was shown in a panel violently murdering another caveperson. That probably would've been pretty shallow commentary, but also less goofy than a space bull.

The fact that Love(star sapphires) and Compassion(indigo lanterns) are super hosed up corps with dubious morals and that Love's spirit animal looks like this:

Says a lot about Geoff Johns.

tbf its established at the end of its Brightest Day storyline that the Predator is actually just a big friendly lizard dog

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looking forward to seeing how much they improved on Catwoman's model but I also hope it's a 2-for-1 deal, would be weird to do a stream of just one character

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they're going to reveal matter eater lad

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Ya there more I read about him the more I like him. If Batman can have his entire rogues gallery show up, GL can have a few of his join in too.

injustice 3 should just be nrs' take on a lantern war where everyone in dc gets a ring, give every character 3 different ring choices that operate like mkx variations or grooves

black lantern and white lantern shenanigans would even give them an excuse to bring back characters who died in ij1 or the comic

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Blockhouse posted:

tbf its established at the end of its Brightest Day storyline that the Predator is actually just a big friendly lizard dog

...I didn't know that and it's magical.

How is the Green Lantern/spaaaaaace stuff doing in DC at the moment, anyone know?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Im like a year behind but there was this comic series about Kyle Raynor called The Omega Men which I heard was fantastic

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

LeSquide posted:

How is the Green Lantern/spaaaaaace stuff doing in DC at the moment, anyone know?

Cool stuff! The Rebirth stuff has been taking advantage of the character potential across different corps, plus the art is consistently pretty.

Also, partly contrary to DT's claim about the Blue Lanterns, they can do stuff with their rings, it's just not laser beams and boxing gloves. They defuse Red Lanterns and can cool down erupting stars. Blue Lanterns are cosmic chill pills, I love them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Saint Walker is probably in the top 3 of comic characters invented in the past twenty years imo, and that page of him leading the charge of the Blue Lanterns is probably among my favorite pages of all time.

EDIT: I don't think he'd be a particularly good fit for the Injustice series though.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

fadam posted:

Saint Walker is probably in the top 3 of comic characters invented in the past twenty years imo, and that page of him leading the charge of the Blue Lanterns is probably among my favorite pages of all time.

EDIT: I don't think he'd be a particularly good fit for the Injustice series though.

"Get Vivisected" probably isn't great material for a finisher.

What are the lantern books out at the moment? I finished out the last Sinestro run and liked it well enough, but the last time I was trying to keep track of the Corps it was the Lost Army stuff which fell kinda flat for me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The RL thing was that wielding a red ring literally killed you, with the liquid rage replacing your blood (and the ring becoming your heart) and becoming the only thing keeping you alive.

I always liked the "ring keeping you alive" aspect. At one point in Blackest Night, a zombie tears Atrocitous' heart out of his chest but since he's still wearing the ring, he just keeps going and vomits more napalm blood on the bastards.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LeSquide posted:

What are the lantern books out at the moment? I finished out the last Sinestro run and liked it well enough, but the last time I was trying to keep track of the Corps it was the Lost Army stuff which fell kinda flat for me.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps and Green Lanterns. Green Lanterns is basically a buddy cop story (Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz) that's more earth focused than HL+GLC which is more cosmic. Both are very good. Green Lanterns started out pretty weak but it's one of my favorite comics now.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

LeSquide posted:

Off the top of my head, there is the Green Lanterns book, which deals Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz; Simon was a replacement for Hal Jordan when he 'died', which I think occurred when Volthoom the First Lantern was loving with the universe; Jessica Cruz was originally chosen by the ring of Earth-3's evil Green Lantern called Power Ring, who eventually shed the ring for a GL ring.

Then there is Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, which focuses on the titular characters. I forget what happened but the GL Corp was involved in something fuuuucked up, Hal took the blame to spare the corp, and the Sinestro Corp took the mantle of the Universe's top cops. Hal came back, took on Sinestro, became pure willpower, and blew up the their corps' planet/satellite (I think it was Ranx?). The GL corp returned and became the top cops again, and struck a deal with the remaining cooperating Sinestro Corps to be a co-op universal police force.

Sad thing (in my eyes, at least) is that they brought in Kyle Rayner in the comic but because of some shenanigans with Saint Walker he lost his White Lantern power and is back to being a Green lantern.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Off the top of my head, there is the Green Lanterns book, which deals Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz; Simon was a replacement for Hal Jordan when he 'died', which I think occurred when Volthoom the First Lantern was loving with the universe; Jessica Cruz was originally chosen by the ring of Earth-3's evil Green Lantern called Power Ring, who eventually shed the ring for a GL ring.

Then there is Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, which focuses on the titular characters. I forget what happened but the GL Corp was involved in something fuuuucked up, Hal took the blame to spare the corp, and the Sinestro Corp took the mantle of the Universe's top cops. Hal came back, took on Sinestro, became pure willpower, and blew up the their corps' planet/satellite (I think it was Ranx?). The GL corp returned and became the top cops again, and struck a deal with the remaining cooperating Sinestro Corps to be a co-op universal police force.

Sad thing (in my eyes, at least) is that they brought in Kyle Rayner in the comic but because of some shenanigans with Saint Walker he lost his White Lantern power and is back to being a Green lantern.

For the most part the GL corner of the DCU got in a slump after Johns left and even the new guy tried a lot of things to make it interesting again (at some point they even killed the other corps, leaving only Sinestro's and the GL), most of it fell flat. With Rebirth they seem to finally got their groove back by retconning and/or reversing most of the changes until a state similar to the one it was when Johns left. Although this came with the reversing of a lot of character development for many secondary characters like Atrocitus or Kyle.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

fadam posted:

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps and Green Lanterns. Green Lanterns is basically a buddy cop story (Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz) that's more earth focused than HL+GLC which is more cosmic. Both are very good. Green Lanterns started out pretty weak but it's one of my favorite comics now.

*sigh*

Is there a good place to start, or should I just jump on now and try to track down previous plot synopses?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LeSquide posted:

*sigh*

Is there a good place to start, or should I just jump on now and try to track down previous plot synopses?

Just pick the Rebirth issues and move through the series since their first issue. The series are relatively new so there is not a lot of issues.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I guess lets see whether or not Catwoman is in the new coat of paint camp like batman/superman or completely reinvented like wonder woman.

Gameplay wise she was perfectly fine in terms of what she had, but by NRS standards and how varied the characters can get, she was awfully by the numbers rushdown. Compared to say how Cheetah seems to be now, a rushdown pixie grappler with divekicks and demon flips, straight rushdown seems a bit vanilla.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It is my birthday and they are showing off my character today! Coincidence???? (yes)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

I guess lets see whether or not Catwoman is in the new coat of paint camp like batman/superman or completely reinvented like wonder woman.

Gameplay wise she was perfectly fine in terms of what she had, but by NRS standards and how varied the characters can get, she was awfully by the numbers rushdown. Compared to say how Cheetah seems to be now, a rushdown pixie grappler with divekicks and demon flips, straight rushdown seems a bit vanilla.

further evidence that she was def not needed in this game, especially with the Batman character quotient. Maybe they'll take a page from SNK and just copy Whip's moveset

edit: here's the gameplay trailer. she looks boring but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBcK5myUTac

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 3, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Harley mentioning Batwoman makes me hope she's in as a Premier Skin or DLC or something

She's got such a cool look and could use more exposure through something like this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Kelp Plankton posted:

Harley mentioning Batwoman makes me hope she's in as a Premier Skin or DLC or something

She's got such a cool look and could use more exposure through something like this

I think they already confirmed she's a premier skin for B-Money, or at least she's on that supposedly leaked list. I think she's great and she's had a really strong premier in Detective Comics. I'll probably look into her independent series that just launched eventually.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Counterpoint: Catwoman looks awesome and aerial Cat Dash is everything I ever wanted, ever. I hope it still has armor on the meter burn!

I am excited that my stupid character is back and seems mostly unchanged! I just hope I can figure out how to fight without accidentally inputting Cat Dodge 10000 times like in the last game. That input was the bane of my existence.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Catwoman:

Cons: Overall seems fine but nothing spectacular

Pros: You can summons cats

The pros have it!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Catwoman:

The pros have it!

I have to agree, I'm liking the amount of abilities that utilize cats. Atrocitus and Catwoman paving the way for Ozymandias and his Bubastis summon.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Catwoman:

The pros have it!

I guess it's a good thing that projectiles don't trade in NRS games or.....

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't hate her ultra.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Meow

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
They didn't show her clash :(

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Jimmy Hats posted:

They didn't show her clash :(

Catwoman: some sort of cat pun
Swamp thing: I am from the swamp what are you talking about
Catwoman: This kitten has claws!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Clash dialogue is unique for eah interactions like pre fight banter now

really like that frim netherrealms

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 3, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

I have to agree, I'm liking the amount of abilities that utilize cats. Atrocitus and Catwoman paving the way for Ozymandias and his Bubastis summon.

Injustice 2: Cats among us

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Clash dialogue is unique like pre fight banter now

There's definitely some repeat lines. They seem to be squeezed in if the context at least works though.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I am looking forward to the catwoman v atrocitus voice lines.

I feel like red lantern catwoman should be a thing and she should hijack dexstarr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Evil Canadian posted:

Catwoman: some sort of cat pun
Swamp thing: I am from the swamp what are you talking about
Catwoman: This kitten has claws!

I am going to be genuinely disappointed now if Swamp Thing doesn't say "I am from the swamp what are you talking about" in one of the clash dialogues now. I sincerely want him to have a character that he interacts with in nothing but confused and concerned tones.

• Locked thread